New made up roles in football

Porteous in a “leadership role”
So we can expect more hammerthrowing challenges, more assault of innocent people at pubs and more fuckwittery from the spoonburners then.
One team I absolutely detest us dropping points against. Them and the sheep. Wee diddy teams that think they’re big clubs.

Leadership role?! Pass the sick bucket. Smacks of the modern day phenomenon of everyone getting a prize aka rewarding failure.

False 9 is a legitimate tactical role.

These other "leadership roles" sound like clubs cannot dictate hierarchy to players and is trying to keep everyone happy.

Aye if that's what you want to call it, then aye.

Something that has been in place since football began but aye we will now call it a leadership structure. :rolleyes:
Every group of people in any job or social group will have a leadership structure. There are hierarchies in every sport, I'm not sure why that's controversial.

Seeing a lot of clubs appointing a "Team Captain", "Club Captain" and "Dressing room leader" lately.

One captain and a vice captain. That's the way it should be.

These made up roles are nothing more than to appease soft minded footballers that can't take not being in charge.

This is what happens when you have no winners or losers and everyone gets a medal for participating.

My rant for the day.
Club Captain and Team Captain have been around for decades. Ditto leadership groups they may just not have been called that. I'm pretty sure the leadership group of 9IAR can rhymed off with ease

A coach specifically for throw ins, w t f is that all about? And how do i apply?
Think you’d need to be good at it to get the gig.

Liverpool got a lot of success using one, and I’ve no idea why we never hired him seeing as he was a freelancer.

Edit: Seemed he has signed a contract with Liverpool for a fifth year running.

Quarterback and sweeper keeper. You know someone knows nothing about the game when they use terms like this.

'Leadership group'
There always was the concept of the senior players in the squad running the dressing room… it was just that nobody gave it a wanky title!

Graeme Souness spoke on a DVD about how he would walk into the dressing room and Butcher, Gough, Wilkins & Brown would have pointed fingers and sorted out problems before he had arrived.

Supporters laison officer

I still struggle to see what the purpose for one is?

No offence to ours. Just dont see the point really when the club can just give info first hand or have an enquiry team that can take calls from the supporters.

The bridge from club to supporters imo is massive and a slo makes no difference.

Customer service office with folk manning a few phones is what we need and supporters info done through our social media pages.

Don’t see the point myself but the club had no choice but to appoint one. UEFA made it a requirement that any club wanting to compete in their competitions had to have one. So essentially a “box ticking excercise”.

Porteous in a “leadership role”
So we can expect more hammerthrowing challenges, more assault of innocent people at pubs and more fuckwittery from the spoonburners then.
One team I absolutely detest us dropping points against. Them and the sheep. Wee diddy teams that think they’re big clubs.
This is the curious thing about Porteous being given this… it condones his on & off field nonsense, even rewards it.

This is the curious thing about Porteous being given this… it condones his on & off field nonsense, even rewards it.
Porteous is OOC next summer, they’ll be doing all the can to get him a new deal. They won’t want someone likely worth a couple of million quid to walk out the door for nothing.

That's on the rise as well. Like it's a dressing room democracy.

"Leadership group, in charge of fines"

Ive been involved in sport for nearly 30yrs and “leadership” groups were always a thing, just werent always called Leadership groups

Team leaders, player reps etc etc

A massive footballing pet hate of mine is seeing players being subbed/injured going to great lengths to pass the armband about! Who actually cares??

A massive footballing pet hate of mine is seeing players being subbed/injured going to great lengths to pass the armband about! Who actually cares??

There has to be a captain on the pitch and that person must be wearing the armband

Its not symbolic

There has to be a captain on the pitch and that person must be wearing the armband

Its not symbolic
Is that an official rule? If it is I’m obviously not aware of it and can’t see anything in the rules stating it?

Last edited:
Is that an official rule? If it is I’m obviously not aware of it and can’t see anything in the rules stating it?

99% Sure its a Uefa rule mate, Id assume it would then be in league rules allthough I may be wrong as I have been on many occasions before B-D

Found this

All captains are required to have a standardized armband when they are playing in UEFA competitions. For clubs like Barcelona or Ajax with a customised armband, they are unable to use those.

Instead, they will need to wear an armband that has a single colour.

Usually, the armband will come with some slogan, such as:

1. Respect (for the referees)
  2. No to racism
Sometimes, they may just include the team’s crest on the armband.

The same articles sites that the EPL and Serie A have standardized armbands, which must be worn

No offence to ours. Just dont see the point really when the club can just give info first hand or have an enquiry team that can take calls from the supporters.

The bridge from club to supporters imo is massive and a slo makes no difference.

Customer service office with folk manning a few phones is what we need and supporters info done through our social media pages.

It’s a UEFA requirement, because it works well in Germany. Most clubs probably wouldn't have one of it wasn’t.

It’s a UEFA requirement, because it works well in Germany. Most clubs probably wouldn't have one of it wasn’t.
If its a requirement then fine but nothing stopping that officer being the lead for a team of office staff who can then take calls, prioritise enquiries and problems etc.

His job seems like its a one man army vs 47000 st holders lol

Imo it seems more to be putting a face to these issues, but yeah it seems to be part of this new generation of roles.

Back