New TV deal

I would be curious to find out viewing figures for Rangers during a season, in comparison with other clubs, as well as the proportion of subscribers of sports channels in Scotland in percentage comparisons with other parts of the UK. It would be interesting to see how much, in proportion, is contributed, compared to the tv deals our clubs receive.
Us and them will contribute much more than we’ll receive. The deal is essentially to show Rangers/Celtic away games and old firms.

The number would go up if we could subscribe to the club channel for games rather than have to fork out £30pm we’ll hardly watch. Either that or find a stream elsewhere.
I do think Rangers have to one day examine some of these issues, with perhaps a club channel perhaps being a solution to this.

If 25,000 of our fans who pay £50 a month for Sky were to cancel and take up the RTV Unlimited package they each would save around £25 a month and net the club another £7M a year. Win-Win
It’s not just about TV money. I’m sure 32Red, Castore and all the pitchside advertisers would have something to say if their brands weren’t being shown on Sky/BT and instead to a very limited audience on a club TV channel.

Most people use sky and BT for a lot more than rangers games. We’d need BT and premier alone for cup and euro games.

Why would it be, it was a Saturday 3pm kick off?

I agree they should use all their games, even have two on at the same time with one on a different channel or red button, but it was the opening weekend of the EPL and they had a packed schedule all day Saturday and Sunday, so they were right to go with the Edinburgh derby at the best offering from the SPFL.

Was only a 3pm because they didnt move it for sky to show it. I personally think all games should be 3p on a Saturday, sky show the game they want and thats it.

However, they show their contempt for the game by not fulfilling their quota. We will have away games that arent on TV and that will force people to illegal streams. But thats up to sky.

It’s not just about TV money. I’m sure 32Red, Castore and all the pitchside advertisers would have something to say if their brands weren’t being shown on Sky/BT and instead to a very limited audience on a club TV channel.

Most people use sky and BT for a lot more than rangers games. We’d need BT and premier alone for cup and euro games.
Fair point, but I’d say that the revenue from those sponsors could be less than that uplift based on additional RTV subs.

As you say, the European games are slightly different. RTV gets all the games except for Euro play off rounds, group stages and knock outs, and you can get a Now TV pass or BT monthly for less than what you’d save from dropping Sky, plus the sponsors would get on board for that.

I have zero actual knowledge but the way I look at it is 500,000 people in Scotland might care enough to pay £50 a month to watch Scottish football. Unfortunately, those 500,000 people are paying £50 a month and £49.99 of that is going to English football. I don't know what the solution is.
The solution is for clubs to keep their rights and sell them on their own platform - if enough fans would actually rather pay that money to their own club as well as or instead of to Sky for all the other content.

I am convinced they could make more if they did it well and priced it right but it's a big gamble to presume the current incompetents would have a clue how to.

The best/ most practical solution would be to hold out for a deal with Sky that allows them to sell secondary rights of every other game. There should be no thought of signing any deal that provides less than that.

The thing is Sky know that they are negotiating with the same pushovers and over-promoted morons who've been at the top of our game for the past 15 years. Almost regardless of antipathy about any other issue clubs need to realise that we need a clearing of the decks if we're going to achieve any meaningful improvement in our commercial deals as a league as all the incumbents have is a track record of totally underselling the product.
Sky know that the state of the SPFL no one else will bid for it

Is that not an issue though? They literally couldn't be bothered showing an old firm team away from home
They show SPFL and EFL on Sky Sports Football simulcast on Main Event sharing these timeslot at weekend

Sat 12.30pm
Sun 12 noon

They are fitted into their schedule

Saturday was EFL

Sunday was SPFL but they could shown Ross County v Celtic after the Edinburgh derby just it wouldn't been on Main Event due to the EPL playing

Their have enough games to show all Rangers and Celtic aways and still show some others as well

Fair point, but I’d say that the revenue from those sponsors could be less than that uplift based on additional RTV subs.

As you say, the European games are slightly different. RTV gets all the games except for Euro play off rounds, group stages and knock outs, and you can get a Now TV pass or BT monthly for less than what you’d save from dropping Sky, plus the sponsors would get on board for that.
I’d love nothing more than for your suggestion to be true mate. I still miss the old RTV channel we had from 04-08.

Part of the issue with RTV (aside from not having live rights), is the functionality. I’m old school and like to watch everything on a big screen. Trying to log into RTV through a smart tv or firestick is a nightmare. If they could set up app access via Amazon prime or a decent smart app then I’d happily pay £80 for the annual cost.

When you watch the utter guff outwith us and the Yahoos I think we could consider ourselves quite lucky.
The standard is f.uckin abysmal.

They show SPFL and EFL on Sky Sports Football simulcast on Main Event sharing these timeslot at weekend

Sat 12.30pm
Sun 12 noon

They are fitted into their schedule

Saturday was EFL

Sunday was SPFL but they could shown Ross County v Celtic after the Edinburgh derby just it wouldn't been on Main Event due to the EPL playing

Their have enough games to show all Rangers and Celtic aways and still shown some others as well
Rangeral
I know you are a stats and information guy

Do you have the figures for comparable sized countries tv deals per chance

The likes of your Scandinavian countries ,Austria etc.
I would be interesting to see.

Tell me to bolt if it's too much work mate :D

If you were a cynical person, you would maybe think that the person doing the deal is getting paid from someone else to keep the Scottish game's money down.
I know the game here is in general poor, but we should be able to deal with tv companies for at least 5% of the deal the EPL has. Scotland has the highest take up of football subscriptions per household in the UK, most support us or the scum. If Rangers weren't on Sky I wouldn't be paying for sky sports. I think most people would be the same, don't get me wrong, I watch other football as an added extra, but I really only want Rangers, I will be looking at other options when my next football deal stops.
5% of the EPL would triple the prize money and probably increase the quality, which would in the end make it a better product. We sell to Sky because they feel they need to keep the Scottish game. We have people who run the game with either no morals, see first paragraph, or are ridiculously bad at business, either way they are screwing the game in Scotland over.

If you were a cynical person, you would maybe think that the person doing the deal is getting paid from someone else to keep the Scottish game's money down.
I know the game here is in general poor, but we should be able to deal with tv companies for at least 5% of the deal the EPL has. Scotland has the highest take up of football subscriptions per household in the UK, most support us or the scum. If Rangers weren't on Sky I wouldn't be paying for sky sports. I think most people would be the same, don't get me wrong, I watch other football as an added extra, but I really only want Rangers, I will be looking at other options when my next football deal stops.
5% of the EPL would triple the prize money and probably increase the quality, which would in the end make it a better product. We sell to Sky because they feel they need to keep the Scottish game. We have people who run the game with either no morals, see first paragraph, or are ridiculously bad at business, either way they are screwing the game in Scotland over.
It shouldn't be as low as 5% if the subscription levels are as you say.

This bit of the deal sounds like a step forward. The rest is shit, apart from maybe the minimum limit of 42 games they must achieve.

On the table for Scottish clubs as an added incentive is scope to sell up to five of their home matches each season on a pay-per-view basis, but only if the fixture has not been chosen for live Sky broadcast and does not – pending special dispensation – fall in the UK blackout window between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.
There is no UK blackout window needing dispensation.

It is signed up for each season.

Also its not a 60 game a season deal if Sky are giving back the rights to clubs for 5 PPV a season. The deal is for rights to every single game

Our league though not the best has just produced a European finalist and hopefully two teams in the Champions league group stages this year

It is home to one of the biggest derbies in the world

Surely the Muppets in charge need to make way for proper businessmen to promote our game.

Rangeral
I know you are a stats and information guy

Do you have the figures for comparable sized countries tv deals per chance

The likes of your Scandinavian countries ,Austria etc.
I would be interesting to see.

Tell me to bolt if it's too much work mate :D
Yeah bolt!

I know those say about other countries getting double the amount of money etc but you have to remember that will be for every game to be shown live

If the SPFL Premiership with 230 games (228 League plus 2 PO Finals) for £30m say then not a deal but what if it was £60m-£70m like some other countries?

It shouldn't be as low as 5% if the subscription levels are as you say.
I am going on the low side, if it was per % of population then it would be almost double that, but I am just making the point, we are getting sold short in Scotland. It is not good for the game that we have such a gulf between us, the scum and everybody else. Scottish football needs a fair deal to become a decent place to watch football again. Worrying because you drop 2 silly points shouldn't be the end of the world, but it feels like it because there is such a lack of opposition outside the top 2 teams.

Yeah bolt!

I know those say about other countries getting double the amount of money etc but you have to remember that will be for every game to be shown live

If the SPFL Premiership with 230 games (228 League plus 2 PO Finals) for £30m say then not a deal but what if it was £60m-£70m like some other countries
I get you there mate ,think similar sized countries sell the rights to every game ,hence getting more money than us.?

Just so I can get my head around this

We are only guaranteed to see minimum 42 games but selling away exclusive coverage for 60 games.

We are getting an increase which is basically not far off inflation

We are locking ourselves into a 5 year deal

We are trying to make out that after sky select rangers v celtic or whoever that people are going to pay what 14.99 for hibs v st Johnstone?

Why exclusive? Why 5 years? Why so little? Why so few games minimum? Why ppv?

We should offer the services of Bisgrove on a consultancy basis

I don’t think there will be much of a better deal after that Dundee utd score, I hope the people offering the deal aren’t watching it.
B-)

There is no UK blackout window needing dispensation.

It is signed up for each season.

Also its not a 60 game a season deal if Sky are giving back the rights to clubs for 5 PPV a season. The deal is for rights to every single game
228 League games a season (38 x 6). So Sky show 60 and each club shows 5 of their non-Sky Home games (subject to them not being Saturday 1500hrs kick-offs) so that would be another 60 (5 x 12). Total of 120 I make it. Maximum.

As you say, it’s the SPFL clubs who vote in the blackout period. All of them, not just the top flight, I suspect that might be why it doesn’t get voted out.

Just so I can get my head around this

We are only guaranteed to see minimum 42 games but selling away exclusive coverage for 60 games.

We are getting an increase which is basically not far off inflation

We are locking ourselves into a 5 year deal

We are trying to make out that after sky select rangers v celtic or whoever that people are going to pay what 14.99 for hibs v st Johnstone?

Why exclusive? Why 5 years? Why so little? Why so few games minimum? Why ppv?

We should offer the services of Bisgrove on a consultancy basis
The past 2 seasons operated that way on a temporary agreement due to pandemic

Rangers v Kilmarnock was PPV for £9.99 via Rangers TV likewise Livingston v Aberdeen for £20 on Livvy TV

Clubs were able to set their own price

I am going on the low side, if it was per % of population then it would be almost double that, but I am just making the point, we are getting sold short in Scotland. It is not good for the game that we have such a gulf between us, the scum and everybody else. Scottish football needs a fair deal to become a decent place to watch football again. Worrying because you drop 2 silly points shouldn't be the end of the world, but it feels like it because there is such a lack of opposition outside the top 2 teams.
Such is the importance of TV revenue to clubs and the significant part it plays today the has to be near the point where Rangers look at this much more. The technology is there for PPV, and the option of that has to be available, at least. The disproportion of wealth, within the UK, between Rangers and many other clubs wouldn't be as acceptable in any other sector of business, and it does affect us.

Back