Next Seasons Transfer Plan - Champions League?

I'll be surprised if we bring in another centre half. Gerrard has said more than once he likes to go with 4 centre halves in a squad. Unless Goldson or Helander is sold then that'll be those two plus Balogun and Simpson. Edmunson will be sold and Katic will go on loan.

My main hope is that we still go with 4 strikers for next season. I think it was probably planned to be 3 as we thought Morelos was going, but thankfully that didn't happen. Defoe will go back down South so I'd like to see him replaced as a minimum.

Other than that it'll just be replacing anyone we sell in my opinion.

I’m more worried about Arfield right now than Davis. I hate to say it but I think he’s someone I wouldn’t mind moving on this summer. Better now than 12 months down the line when he’s possibly past it and on a decent wage
The squad has improved to the point that I would only really consider Arfield a squad player/ reserve rather than a first 11 pick.

The squad has improved to the point that I would only really consider Arfield a squad player/ reserve rather than a first 11 pick.
He still offers us something the others don’t with his style of aggression press and most importantly his off-the-ball movement that he integral to some our best 1/2-touch pass & move goals that we’ve scored this season. We need to retain that dimension of our play without relying on someone who’s unfortunately on the decline.

As I understand it, our current business model assumes we sell a player fir good money every season. We didn’t do that last season so two probably will go in the summer. My guess would be Barisic and Morelos. So two more modestly priced replacements for whoever goes. If Morelos is indeed one of the ones who goes then I think we will miss him even more than many expect. I am honest, I am unconvinced (1) that Itten will prove to be good enough and (2) that Roofe will consistently be fit enough or in any event that he is an all round out and out centre forward.

Also on my list would be a centre half. For me at least Balogun isn’t what we want as a 2nd centre half or even a 3rd centre half. Whilst I much prefer Helander I think if you read the tea leaves Gerrard doesn’t quite think he is good enough, at least to be his no 2 centre half. I think Gerrard worries about his pace. So a 2nd centre half looks like being one of the priorities.

Then in central midfield I think the regular 2 out of 3 of Jack, Davis and Kamara has become increasingly challenging given Jack’s injury history - and it seems like managing Jack’s playing time is going to be an ongoing thing. So another one in there. I am assuming that the management team have had a proper look at Zungu and decided he is decent but not quite good enough.

Another wide man to challenge Kent and keep him fresh would be my final one, but more a nice to have than a priority.

So maybe 5 in; and 2 big money outgoings plus some fringe players (Jones, Edmundson, Stewart out of contract, Zungu option not picked up, not sure what we do re Defoe).

Midfield needs addressed for obvious reasons. Davis getting older, Arfield too, Jack injury prone.

Defoe and Morelos could leave - Roofe can’t be our number one striking option, he’s not reliable enough.

Kent, Kamara, Borna may be cashed in on?

Potentially a bigger summer job than some anticipate. We need quality additions, ones that make the first team stronger and better.

Wright, Simpson and Ofoborh were January signings, they’ll be squad players opposed to first team regulars.

While we might lose players we can not stand still liverpool are the best example of a side to never pushed on in the transfer window after winning a title and look what happened. A replacement for Davis and a younger more composed version of Arfield would be the main targets for me then raplace any other first team player who may leave.

Back