Nnamdi Ofoborh

He signed on a pre contract in January 2021, he was diagnosed in summer 2021

Hasn’t even played yet, how can you criticise the club for signing a supposed “sub-average” player when we’ve not even seen what he can do?
So the pre-season he signed then.

And agreed, how can anyone possibly judge him when he's not kicked a ball for us yet is insane.

Hopefully he gets himself sorted in time for the summer and he can enjoy a good pre season. He'll probably need a loan to get him up and running again though.

He was a player we wanted to develop and shape into an eventual first teamer. Just utterly horrendous luck for the lad.

The attitude towards him on here from some quarters is bewildering tbh. No sympathy or concern about him. Just he's a dud and we should get rid. Just find that pretty needless and callous. We've never seen him play and he's been sidelined through no fault of his own. Also find the attitude that he's somehow a bizarre signing really odd as well, he's a 22 year old player with scope for progression. In what way is that even vaguely bizarre for a club like us!?

I’m responding to the claims that Nnamdi was a “baffling” signing. One could argue that he may turn out to be a poor signing. But the rationale for his signing is clear to see.

On paper he made sense. He was 21 at the time, had a good loan spell at Wycombe the season before. He wouldn't have a been a first team player straight away, but neither was Bassey when we signed him.

Patterson couldn’t get a game for us yet he is our record sale… Not being able to force one’s way into a team is hardly a measure of their suitability for us.

And time and time again on FF the “couldn’t get a game for Wycombe” accusation is levelled at this player - he was injured. He is as a key player for them when available.

I don’t intend to get embroiled into an argument about the player’s ability or whatever. I just made the point that this signing was not at all baffling and fits the mould in terms of our acquisitions from England. We’ll continue to make these type of signings and it’s a sensible strategy since the cross-border compensation rules work in our favour.

The lesson learned from the saga is obviously that our medical team will scrutinise heart issues a little more closely now during medical examinations which can only be a good thing for the club and players.
Patterson, whilst not starting for us, is younger and a Scottish internationalist so the potential at high level was seen by Everton hence the fee.

Given the game time and level signing Ofoborh fits the mould of a strategy with risk rather than sensible.

Hopefully for him firstly the medical issue gets sorted and he can return to playing.

It wasn’t at all baffling. We picked up a young player out of contract down south who had demonstrated potential. Signing young players on pre-contract agreements from England is a core pillar of our transfer strategy so how on earth is it baffling?
Because we signed a 24yo. (Simpson) with next to no first team football and we can all see why.

Because we signed a 24yo. (Simpson) with next to no first team football and we can all see why.

Simpson had zero bearing on our decision to sign Ofoborh.

Simpson was signed because Gerrard liked and rated him from his time working in English youth football. There's no other explanation for the signing imo. He called him a project player when he arrived.

Nobody understood the Bassey signing at the time. Sometimes these types of signings work and other times they don't. Bassey had zero minutes of senior football prior to arriving at Ibrox and he's now ahead of Simpson in the defensive pecking order. Football has a funny habit of subverting your expectations.

I suffer from a heart condition called SVT and can pass any ECG tests and medical. Some conditions can only really be caught if there is an episode at time of the test which is pretty rare and this appears to have happened with this guy after he signed.
kick he even kick a ball in a senior game before his heart defect was found?

Simpson had zero bearing on our decision to sign Ofoborh.

Simpson was signed because Gerrard liked and rated him from his time working in English youth football. There's no other explanation for the signing imo. He called him a project player when he arrived.

Nobody understood the Bassey signing at the time. Sometimes these types of signings work and other times they don't. Bassey had zero minutes of senior football prior to arriving at Ibrox and he's now ahead of Simpson in the defensive pecking order. Football has a funny habit of subverting your expectations.
both of them were signed because there was no funds,lets be honest

what did either of them do to attract gerrard to them

both of them were signed because there was no funds,lets be honest

what did either of them do to attract gerrard to them

Gerrard's job wasn't to scout players. He was likely handed a list of potential signings for the positions he'd asked for cover in and choose the ones he thought fitted in his side best.

Ofoborh had a good loan spell at Wycombe, the season they got promoted to the Championship. He likely caught our attention then.

As for Simpson, as I said he was a player that Gerrard had coveted for a while.

The lack of funds likely played a massive part in things but that was the budget we had and he chose to sign them. Besides we've had success signing players on pre contracts numerous times during Gerrard's tenure.

The fact he “Couldn’t get a game fo
Sad but true.

Even if he does get over his heart issues, he's fallen way way behind now in terms of fitness and match sharpness etc.

Won't make it here. That's the cold harsh reality.
Odd post

Sorry might have replied to the wrong post but what makes you think if he’s not played a game for us he can’t make it here? Many apologies if I have quoted the wrong post
Not sure you have the right post, but I was saying that it may be months, years, before he gets to the bottom of his heart defect.

And then there's the decision if he can even continue to play in the first place.

I just feel that by the time he's ready, we'll have improved further again, and it'll be unlikely that he'd get much game time here, probably sell for a small profit if he's able to continue playing.

See when you auscultate a chest? You can only hear what's happening at that time.

An ECG might show if there had been damage to the heart, but if til that point it was minimal it wouldn't show. It also wouldn't show a future heart condition waiting to happen.

He might have had a raised CRP or something, but that could be for anything. You wouldn't jump to heart difficulties in a fit and apparently healthy athlete.

Its highly likely there was nothing wrong with his medical, and no failure on the part of the club medics to pick up something cause it wasn't there ti see at that point.

See when you auscultate a chest? You can only hear what's happening at that time.

An ECG might show if there had been damage to the heart, but if til that point it was minimal it wouldn't show. It also wouldn't show a future heart condition waiting to happen.

He might have had a raised CRP or something, but that could be for anything. You wouldn't jump to heart difficulties in a fit and apparently healthy athlete.

Its highly likely there was nothing wrong with his medical, and no failure on the part of the club medics to pick up something cause it wasn't there ti see at that point.
Can you please take your sensible logic elsewhere.

Doubt he’ll ever play for us tbh

Bizarre signing at the time along with Simpson. Ofoborh struggling to hold down a game every week with Bournemouth and Wycombe on loan IIRC

Not sure you have the right post, but I was saying that it may be months, years, before he gets to the bottom of his heart defect.

And then there's the decision if he can even continue to play in the first place.

I just feel that by the time he's ready, we'll have improved further again, and it'll be unlikely that he'd get much game time here, probably sell for a small profit if he's able to continue playing.
I know if he’s not played we are at the bottom of what heart defect is already. If we have never seen him play how can we make a decision on him?

It's absolutely astounding the amount of cardiologists and physicians in our support. Might be sons or grandsons of the ones who claimed Ally McCoist or Ian Ferguson were finished in the early 90s.
No criticism at all at your post but one of the leading Cardiologists in the U.K. was our club Dr for a while and set up one of the best sport medicine screening programmes in the U.K.

How is it bizarre? He was signed for potential

The bizarre signing patter only gets broken out for signings that don't go to plan.

Bassey is the same age as Ofoborh and had played zero senior minutes when he signed for us. Nobody calls him a bizarre signing because it paid off for us.

It's all the captain Hindsight types who think they have a better understanding of the market, than professionals who work in the industry do. Standard football forum stuff.

Wish the boy all the best but it was a bit if a bizarre signing.

Not really.

Zungu’s loan deal ended so we needed another body in for cover.

He was free so no big risk.

Sadly it hasn’t worked out because of his health issues, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

Even if he does recover full fitness, I’m not really expecting a great deal from him in all honesty.

Ofoborh who we may not have known about and who is the other that has caused us any issues?
Goldson, but I've just read a poster above who explains it pretty well why these conditions can be missed. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know if he's telling the truth or not so I'm going to bow out of this debate because I have nothing of merit to add.

Goldson, but I've just read a poster above who explains it pretty well why these conditions can be missed. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know if he's telling the truth or not so I'm going to bow out of this debate because I have nothing of merit to add.
No worries mate

Doesn’t even compare

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2017–2021AFC Bournemouth3(0)
2019–2020Wycombe Wanderers (loan)18(0)
2021Wycombe Wanderers (loan)8(0)
2021–Rangers0(0)
The 2 seasons before joining Rangers, Ofoborh played at a higher level than Tav in his 2 seasons before joining us. They played a similar amount of games. It is pretty much exactly correct, with Tav playing a handful more games.

The point is, pretty obviously, that picking up a cheap player from the lower reaches of England with a low number of appearances on loan moves over the country can be a low cost and effective plan.

The young lad was brought in on a free because the coaching staff thought they could improve him. Trying to slate the club for that is something you would have to really, really reach for. Which you are. Which is strange.

The 2 seasons before joining Rangers, Ofoborh played at a higher level than Tav in his 2 seasons before joining us. They played a similar amount of games. It is pretty much exactly correct, with Tav playing a handful more games.

The point is, pretty obviously, that picking up a cheap player from the lower reaches of England with a low number of appearances on loan moves over the country can be a low cost and effective plan.

The young lad was brought in on a free because the coaching staff thought they could improve him. Trying to slate the club for that is something you would have to really, really reach for. Which you are. Which is strange.

Value for money as a season ticket holder approaching 50 year

Does this?

2011–2012Sheffield Wednesday (loan)6(0)
2012Milton Keynes Dons (loan)7(0)
2013Shrewsbury Town (loan)1(0)
2013–2014Rotherham United (loan)27(5)
2014–2015Wigan Athletic11(0)
2015Bristol City (loan)12(3)

Tav, just fyi.
Doesn’t even compare

Doesn’t even compare

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2017–2021AFC Bournemouth3(0)
2019–2020Wycombe Wanderers (loan)18(0)
2021Wycombe Wanderers (loan)8(0)
2021–Rangers0(0)
Exactly, different profile and different Rangers then. If he plays as much as Tav however I’ll be delighted.

Value for money as a season ticket holder approaching 50 year
Eh?

That has literally nothing at all to do with the incontestable fact that Tav, our captain, and a player we paid money for, had a pretty much identical profile to this young lad before we signed him. Tav played a total of 11 more games in the 2 seasons prior, but at a lower level.

Exactly, different profile and different Rangers then. If he plays as much as Tav however I’ll be delighted.
But same Tav today, which is the entire point; low cost punts from the lower leagues in England can be valuable to us and are worth the risk as they cost very little and can return very much.

Eh?

That has literally nothing at all to do with the incontestable fact that Tav, our captain, and a player we paid money for, had a pretty much identical profile to this young lad before we signed him. Tav played a total of 11 more games in the 2 seasons prior, but at a lower level.

Different circumstances as a club

The bizarre signing patter only gets broken out for signings that don't go to plan.

Bassey is the same age as Ofoborh and had played zero senior minutes when he signed for us. Nobody calls him a bizarre signing because it paid off for us.

It's all the captain Hindsight types who think they have a better understanding of the market, than professionals who work in the industry do. Standard football forum stuff.
Is there direct correlation between posters who use the 'bizarre signing' line and posters who think Lewis Ferguson is the answer to any question asked?

Different circumstances as a club
But same player. Tav. You posted Ofoborh's history and used as a reason why he was a 'bizarre' signing. Tav, our captain, had a 'worse' history prior to signing and he is, right now, today, a championship winning captain of Rangers. HIS profile is the profile to look at, not where Rangers were, when asking if a dirt cheap player from England with low costs is worth a punt.

It is not in the slightest bizarre that we signed him. It is only bizarre if you are desperately groping around in the dark looking for a stick to beat the club with.

But same Tav today, which is the entire point; low cost punts from the lower leagues in England can be valuable to us and are worth the risk as they cost very little and can return very much.
Would we have signed the Tav of 2015 last year… looking at the strategy then we may have. I’m just not sold on the rationale of the signing of Ofoborh or Simpson, but I might be lumping the two together.

Back