Numan Instagram - Personal Video Messages From Ex Players

Gee

So because a guy earned good money for 15-20 years as soon as his football career is over he’s no longer allowed to earn a wage?

I guess Amazon and Apple have made a good bit of coin now so should probably go not for profit.
I did not say that at all I was only pointing out to the poster that these guys are not poor and in the past earned huge money. I say good luck to them if someone wants to pay for this service it’s their business

Boldvale

Official Ticketer
Each to their own, but I find it sad that players we made millionaires need to be paid to wish a Rangers fan happy birthday.

Coop1872

I had a request from a lad in Ulster a couple of years ago about a fan who had a serious illness.
He asked if I could get a player to send him a Birthday wish on a video.
Numan, Albertz, Amo Goughie, Davie Weir, Andy Gray, Alex Rae, and Derek Johnstone were amongst the ones who freely did it and it was not a 'Happy Birthday' only, they took time to do it.
I'm told that Graeme Souness's message brought tears to his eyes.
These guys are different class and I think it's a great idea for them to do it
How good would that be for a kid to wake up on Christmas Day and have a message from one of them?
No one is forced to pay them
Can confirm this particular story. Robert and the players involved went above and beyond the call of duty to make a very ill bear's day so much better.

Retroblue

I’ve nothing against people making a living . Having said that unless this type of thing is with the money going to charity , it seems a bit off . If you played for Rangers in the modern day era , certainly post 1986, you should have earned enough to take you through life without having to work . Does anyone know if this is for charity ? Same with the gin thing recently .
It’s now a big thing. It’s good and keeps everyone happy. Good luck to all.

android

Official Ticketer
I think it would be cool to get a message but tarnished by the fact people you love had to pay for it and that they are only doing it for money . Personal thing I suppose .
You want people to take time out of their day to do things for others for free?

What other ‘cool’ things in life would you like for nothing?

android

Official Ticketer
Fair enough it's a means of income, but charging for video messages lacks the kind of dignity and class you would associate with our club. It's all a bit cheap and nasty guys.

Potentially making someone’s day/month/year with a message from one of their favourite players from yesteryear is cheap and nasty?

That’s a strange take.

BlueFlagHigh

Potentially making someone’s day/month/year with a message from one of their favourite players from yesteryear is cheap and nasty?

That’s a strange take.
You are missing the point entirely . It doesn’t “ make their day “ when people realise it’s not a personal message but a generic money making piece of opportunism .

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Each to their own, but I find it sad that players we made millionaires need to be paid to wish a Rangers fan happy birthday.

We didn’t make them millionaires though, they were offered a jobs and they did them well. The hard work they put in to get to the big leagues and the top clubs is what made them millionaires, that and the job they did putting silverware in the trophy room of our club. They club weren’t paying them as some generous act of charity, it was in return for work like most people who earn money.

android

Official Ticketer
You are missing the point entirely . It doesn’t “ make their day “ when people realise it’s not a personal message but a generic money making piece of opportunism .
I don’t think there would be many recipients who’d think that one of their favourite ex-players randomly decided to send them a birthday message off their own back :)

You’re having a nightmare here mate in chasing your Bah Humbug! narrative :)

BlueFlagHigh

I don’t think there would be many recipients who’d think that one of their favourite ex-players randomly decided to send them a birthday message off their own back :)

You’re having a nightmare here mate in chasing your Bah Humbug! narrative :)
Not at all I have made a valid point . To deny that it cheapens the message by someone paying for it to happen is just ludicrous . It may be the way of the world but it doesn’t make it right . Enjoy

Boldvale

Official Ticketer
We didn’t make them millionaires though, they were offered a jobs and they did them well. The hard work they put in to get to the big leagues and the top clubs is what made them millionaires, that and the job they did putting silverware in the trophy room of our club. They club weren’t paying them as some generous act of charity, it was in return for work like most people who earn money.
Thats also a point of view. It still sticks in my throat an ex Rangers player charging to wish a Rangers fan a happy birthday. Imagine the scenario, dad out with young son, bump into Ally McCoist in the street. "Ally, could you sign this for my boy" certainly Boldvale, that'll be a fiver. "Enjoy your day wee man"

android

Official Ticketer
Not at all I have made a valid point . To deny that it cheapens the message by someone paying for it to happen is just ludicrous . It may be the way of the world but it doesn’t make it right . Enjoy
I hope you make all those birthday cards yourself that you give to family & friends because they’ll be awfully disappointed if they find out you bought them from a shop :cool:

Robert Marshall

Thats also a point of view. It still sticks in my throat an ex Rangers player charging to wish a Rangers fan a happy birthday. Imagine the scenario, dad out with young son, bump into Ally McCoist in the street. "Ally, could you sign this for my boy" certainly Boldvale, that'll be a fiver. "Enjoy your day wee man"
A representative of Gazza approached me years ago before he started doing nights. Asked if I wanted Gazza to do a night in The Louden
I replied that I didn't think it would be appropriate at that moment in time for him to be in a pub when he was having his much-publiced problems.
The guy totally ignored what I was saying and then went on to tell me that he would get Gazza for £10K, plus £30 a photo and £5 per autograph
I never got Gazza and have no regrets about it
A lot more to the conversation but not something I would post publicly

Danger Zone

Just the tip...

Different scenario. A player clearly wouldn’t do that if it was a chance meeting in the street and especially if a child was involved. But if you want them to go to the trouble of videoing themselves at home reading your specific message then charging is perfectly fair. Just because you’ve earned a decent wage in your life doesn’t mean you should spend the rest of it working for free.

K124IN

So ex players charge for these messages but won’t sign an autograph when they do speakers nights because they are told not, but if the organisers thought with their money head then surely adding the price of an autograph ontop of a ticket price to make it a vip ticket would get more people at these events.

why charge for one thing but not for another?

change consent