Offside rule exploitation

Bigbluebear

This tactic from the scum yesterday was doing my head in.

Furuhashi was standing miles offside, easily several yards offside. They would then try gey a ball over the top for a runner, which meant furihashi had a ridiculous head start on our defenders. He was nearly on the penalty spot on one occasion about 5 yards ahead of our defence, when a cross was put into the baldy guy to try put back across to him. Walker says "he's not interfering with play". Well what the %^*& is he doing loitering around that position and distracting the keeper?

Same thing at the chance he did get called offside for, initially he's standing miles offside.

Blatant manipulation of a rule by the scum. Its not like he's been involved in play and coming back from an offside position, it's deliberately standing in an offside position to gain an advantage. Doing things like this is in very very poor sport, IMO. Not surprising from a low life organisation though

Furuhashi was standing miles offside, easily several yards offside. They would then try gey a ball over the top for a runner, which meant furihashi had a ridiculous head start on our defenders. He was nearly on the penalty spot on one occasion about 5 yards ahead of our defence, when a cross was put into the baldy guy to try put back across to him. Walker says "he's not interfering with play". Well what the %^*& is he doing loitering around that position and distracting the keeper?

Same thing at the chance he did get called offside for, initially he's standing miles offside.

Blatant manipulation of a rule by the scum. Its not like he's been involved in play and coming back from an offside position, it's deliberately standing in an offside position to gain an advantage. Doing things like this is in very very poor sport, IMO. Not surprising from a low life organisation though
Hardly poor sport. It's smart football.

We've all become very precious.

It isn't manipulation of the rule, it's quite smart tbh.

It doesnt particularly work when you can't remain onside in the next phase of play though.

It’s not poor sportsmanship at all. It’s clever if it works and if it doesn’t he’s playing like a man down. Any team can try it but probably realise it’s not worth it in the long term.

The rule needs changed though.

It’s the same purpose though, cause confusion with the opposition defence.

I dont agree

By the time the free kick is taken he is onside in the initial phase of play due moving back as the defensive line loves towards goal

This tactic is seeing them stand literally yards offside and becoming active and making a move towards goal as soon as the initial pass is played to somebody else.

Hardly poor sport. It's smart football.

We've all become very precious.
I asked before how can you not be interfering with play if your in the penalty box to be told it’s up to the opposing team if they want to mark him,if he is in the box you are keeping an eye on him how is that not interfering with play?

He has to be classed as interfering with play, the CB's and Keeper have to be aware where he is, and there was more than one occassion where Maeda broke, and Bassey couldn't cover Goldson as he had to go to Kyogo who was 10m offside. This can't be in the rules. Bearing in mind he had 4-5 fouls, elbowed Barasic leg when they were on the ground, and dived into Goldsons knee, it's clear his is nothing but a cheat.

We do it with every free kick. Goldson stands in an offside position: manipulating the rules to get defenders to sit deeper, should I be raging?

I think people need to go and look at these two specific incidents again to see what I'm talking about. McGregor is clearly distracted by the one where he is in our box.

He is clearly involved in the play in both situations, and is seeking to gain an advantage

I dont believe the rule was designed to be interpreted like this.

I agree entirely about his positioning. Any forward standing in the penalty box six yards from the goal is ‘interfering with play’. If he isn’t what’s he doing there?

Am I actually reading on this thread that people are annoyed because a striker is being‘unsportsmanlike’?

Its part of the game and is on the other team to deal with.

I doubt the same people annoyed would be saying similar if Roofe stands offside on Thursday, creating a diversion in which bassey baw twangs an RB centre half allowing kent to tap home a second for us and McGregor then takes 18 mins per goal kick. If it gets us through, bring it on.

Its like at games when folk moan about motherwell players time wasting for example. That only becomes an issue if we dont put the game to bed so its on us.

Am I actually reading on this thread that people are annoyed because a striker is being‘unsportsmanlike’?

Its part of the game and is on the other team to deal with.

I doubt the same people annoyed would be saying similar if Roofe stands offside on Thursday, creating a diversion in which bassey baw twangs an RB centre half allowing kent to tap home a second for us and McGregor then takes 18 mins per goal kick. If it gets us through, bring it on.

Its like at games when folk moan about motherwell players time wasting for example. That only becomes an issue if we dont put the game to bed so its on us.
Totally agree.

Rules are there to be exploited at the end of the day. If he’s breaking rules, different matter altogether. But you can bet your arse if it was our player doing this, nobody would think it was anything other than clever tactics.

Totally agree.

Rules are there to be exploited at the end of the day. If he’s breaking rules, different matter altogether. But you can bet your arse if it was our player doing this, nobody would think it was anything other than clever tactics.
Completely agree. We haven’t been as good at the dark arts as we could have been of late. Thinking about late comebacks vs benfica, young boys, braga etc.

Their Japanese players are pish. They run about a lot and look busy but they're pish. Hatate gets caught on the ball every time he has it and he's shit scared of Lundstram. Maeda is sent out to sprint everywhere.

Can‘t criticise them for playing to the rules as they are. I think however you give them too much credit, I think he’s just positionally lost - as demonstrated by his inexplicable decision to stay ahead of Maeda for the chance he missed.

Getting upset that people play to the rules is a little silly. Now, the linesman deciding selectively when to apply the rules… that’s something worth getting up in arms about. Maeda has had two offides not given against him in two games where he has been at least 4-5 yards offside. That would be headline news in any other country…

The one where Walker claimed "he's not interfering with play" went just over this head in the middle of the box, in front of the keeper.

How can that be deemed not interfering with play if you are then 5 yards ahead of the back line waiting for a tap in.

I don't think "interfering with play" just means touching the ball.

The one where Walker claimed "he's not interfering with play" went just over this head in the middle of the box, in front of the keeper.

How can that be deemed not interfering with play if you are then 5 yards ahead of the back line waiting for a tap in.

I don't think "interfering with play" just means touching the ball.

This is what I'm getting at but folk seem to think I'm meaning something else.

Hes directly involved in play in both incidents

Back