Offside rule exploitation

The one where Walker claimed "he's not interfering with play" went just over this head in the middle of the box, in front of the keeper.

How can that be deemed not interfering with play if you are then 5 yards ahead of the back line waiting for a tap in.

I don't think "interfering with play" just means touching the ball.
You should perhaps look the rule up…

So what if the shoe was on the other foot?

Would you still think it was poor sportsmanship and “exploiting” the rule?

Or would you all of a sudden no longer have a problem with it?

I think we all know the answer

Stop looking for reasons to be raging

So what if the shoe was on the other foot?

Would you still think it was poor sportsmanship and “exploiting” the rule?

Or would you all of a sudden no longer have a problem with it?

I think we all know the answer

Stop looking for reasons to be raging

Who is raging?

Certainly not me

I was more annoyed at those subhuman rats attempting, twice, to take a free kick awarded against us for offside from our half.

I always refer to Bill Shankly’s view when told a player in an offside position was “not interfering with the play”. “Why is he on the pitch”?
Exactly any defender worth his salt is going to be alert to someone in their penalty box offside or not .

So a goal can never be disallowed for a player standing in front of the keeper then?
That’s a different definition. “Interfering with an opponent”:

• interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent

You’d have to clearly obstruct his line of vision and that’s not interfering with play.
Not following that, so it would or wouldn’t it be offside if a goal is disallowed for blocking the keepers view ,what term is used if it is not interfering with play .

Exactly any defender worth his salt is going to be alert to someone in their penalty box offside or not .
The problem is that punters (and even Shankly in this example) get themselves hung up on their own definition of words and phrases and forget that it’s irrelevant.

What matters is how the laws of the game define the words. Frankly, most of us punters don’t really understand a lot of the rules properly and use that as an excuse to cry foul of officials every week who are actually just applying the rules as they’re supposed to.

It’s also not relevant whether we like the rules as defined. The referees are there to apply them to the book, not what fans want them to be.

Missed that so interfering with an opponent it is called surely that’s what happens if you want to stay offside at free kicks as I said any defender should be alert to this .
No. Read the rule above on what is actually defined as “interfering” in that rule.

This tactic from the scum yesterday was doing my head in.

Furuhashi was standing miles offside, easily several yards offside. They would then try gey a ball over the top for a runner, which meant furihashi had a ridiculous head start on our defenders. He was nearly on the penalty spot on one occasion about 5 yards ahead of our defence, when a cross was put into the baldy guy to try put back across to him. Walker says "he's not interfering with play". Well what the %^*& is he doing loitering around that position and distracting the keeper?

Same thing at the chance he did get called offside for, initially he's standing miles offside.

Blatant manipulation of a rule by the scum. Its not like he's been involved in play and coming back from an offside position, it's deliberately standing in an offside position to gain an advantage. Doing things like this is in very very poor sport, IMO. Not surprising from a low life organisation though
Goldson does it at virtually EVERY free kick we ever get

Furuhashi was standing miles offside, easily several yards offside. They would then try gey a ball over the top for a runner, which meant furihashi had a ridiculous head start on our defenders. He was nearly on the penalty spot on one occasion about 5 yards ahead of our defence, when a cross was put into the baldy guy to try put back across to him. Walker says "he's not interfering with play". Well what the %^*& is he doing loitering around that position and distracting the keeper?

Same thing at the chance he did get called offside for, initially he's standing miles offside.

Blatant manipulation of a rule by the scum. Its not like he's been involved in play and coming back from an offside position, it's deliberately standing in an offside position to gain an advantage. Doing things like this is in very very poor sport, IMO. Not surprising from a low life organisation though
That chance he did get flagged for would not have been flagged if he scored. That was just the cheating connor rat trying to look like he was doing his job fairly. His flag would not be up if they scored. Check the way his flag was up when we had the chance late on while one on them was playing everyone onside lying in the box. Couldn't get the flag up quick enough to cheat us again

The problem is that punters (and even Shankly in this example) get themselves hung up on their own definition of words and phrases and forget that it’s irrelevant.

What matters is how the laws of the game define the words. Frankly, most of us punters don’t really understand a lot of the rules properly and use that as an excuse to cry foul of officials every week who are actually just applying the rules as they’re supposed to.

It’s also not relevant whether we like the rules as defined. The referees are there to apply them to the book, not what fans want them to be.
The problem is that the offside laws, like the handball laws, have flipflopped over the last 10:years and officials and fans are confused as to why one set of referees and assistants will differ from another. There is no consistency. I hate the Kyogo ploy of deliberately standing ten yards and more offside for a ball to be played down the wings for a teammate to run and cross to him with a huge start on defenders. When FIFA/IFAB started messing about with ‘phases of play’ that ploy was outlawed. But then it was changed. I prefer the rugby law. Offside is applied strictly. No arguments.

There's a reason why the top players don't do it.
He is taking himself out of play for the first ball, so hoping somehow another player is released, then the defenders don't catch up, or even get close, to that attacker before the ball can be passed to him.
It's a low percentage play, and you won't see Mane or Salah do that this week.

The problem is that the offside laws, like the handball laws, have flipflopped over the last 10:years and officials and fans are confused as to why one set of referees and assistants will differ from another. There is no consistency. I hate the Kyogo ploy of deliberately standing ten yards and more offside for a ball to be played down the wings for a teammate to run and cross to him with a huge start on defenders. When FIFA/IFAB started messing about with ‘phases of play’ that ploy was outlawed. But then it was changed. I prefer the rugby law. Offside is applied strictly. No arguments.
Hating the rules is just a subjective thing. Referees can only apply the rules as written.

They do tinker a lot and there are rules I dislike. That said, I don’t get upset at a referee if they apply the rule as it is written.

I also have no issue with players or teams exploiting aspects of the rules to get advantages - in fact, I would expect us to do the same.

I thought all teams do it could be wrong, tbf to the tims if you know the linesman is desperate to help why not just stand in an offside position if that player scores or even just gets in defenders way they probably too busy celebrating the goal to care about whatever rules we are supposed to be using.

The rules subjective but in most leagues and in el this year those incidents are flagged offside in Scotland they don't seem to be for some reason

The incident in question there was 2 similar where the runners get the ball but the defenders and keeper have to reposition themselves due where the offside player is in the box is interfering with play

The rule was intended for outside the box and players not coming back in time for a new phase of play so game could continue if the initial player was offside

Hardly poor sport. It's smart football.

We've all become very precious.
Is it smart? If it was everyone would do it as apposed to…..nobody.

If we had competent linesman he would be flagged offside every time he got the ball back as you aren’t joining a new phase of attack, it’s the same phase.Scottish lineman either have no inclination or ability to remember the offside line earlier than the current one.

Noticed that aswell, its not initally interfering with play but if he scored from a cross after being 20 yards behind the defence surely that should still be classed as offside

Goldson does it at virtually EVERY free kick we ever get
He doesn’t. That’s a dead ball situation. By the time the ball is kicked the defensive line has moved back and he’s in line. He’s not offside at any point if the ball isn’t in play.

You can tell that by the number of times he makes first contact and wins attacking headers (lots) against the low number of offsides he has.

That’s a different definition. “Interfering with an opponent”:

• interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
On the highlighted part, Thursday nights goal should not have stood. It's not as black and white and it reads

Its s good point o/p. He's deliberately standing miles offside in the middle, and if the get a break out wide and cross it, as long as he stays behind the ball when it's crossed, its second phase and he's onside.

Manipulation of the rule.

Ruud van Nistelroy did this as soon as the rule changed.
Ball over the top and wide to a pacy player, maybe Kanchelskis, he’d stand still until said player got ahead of him.
The “pacy winger” cut the ball back and RvN, always a yard or two behind, had almost a tap in.

Sorry, I don't think that manipulating rules to your advantage is "smart". I think it's shite sportsmanship, and would say the same of any team doing it.
The rules aren’t being manipulated though.
The rule is, he’s onside.
If it’s the rule you don’t like, discuss with Michael Stewart!

Their Japanese players are pish. They run about a lot and look busy but they're pish. Hatate gets caught on the ball every time he has it and he's shit scared of Lundstram. Maeda is sent out to sprint everywhere.
Reminds me of Candeias in that respect.

I don’t see an issue with an attacker being in an offside position when the opposition are in possession, as they would not be in offside if someone attempts a back pass to the keeper. It’s so easy for defenders to take the easy option of a pass back, but if there’s a risk of an opposition player behind you, it puts pressure on the defenders. It takes an intelligent and fit player to position himself in an offside position, as he needs to ensure he gets back onside when the ball is passed upfield and doesn’t take part in the play, if he finds himself offside and possession switches to his team, and a forward pass is made.

Walker is clueless.

As Brian Clough famously stated: 'if you're not interfering with play, what are you doing on the pitch?'

Best to go back to the old offside rule, it’s simple. Was it Shankly who said if your not interfering with play why are you on the pitch …..

Celtic have always tried nonsense like this - I remember john hartson went thought a phase of standing off the pitch at corner kicks to 'disrupt' the marking.

Back