Old Firm B teams to be invited to join SPFL 3

Darvel and 3 or 4 other Junior clubs were told last season that they would be invited into this new league as well so I don't know why Kennedy is moaning.
More league clubs would mean all sponsorship money would be divided between more clubs so someone us going to take the hit for that.

They’re playing against glorified amateurs in the lowland league. I don’t see how playing in lower leagues readies any player to play for our first team

Look at Josh mcpake, doing relatively well in Championship and was highly touted for us but he’s absolutely no where near being good enough. Playing against amateurs would’ve done 0 for his development
It's playing adult mens football whilst not having to leave our elite coaches and facilities. Loans result in a drop in coaching standards. They also play WITH players of lower quality, even when loaned to championship sides.

Our youth should be benefitting from the best coaches and facilities, and playing with other ambitious talents who are trying to play creative, elite football. If we were allowed to have colts progress up to championship level, we wouldn't be able to even criticise the quality of opponent.

The lowland league has been a start, and the B teams have shown themselves to be comfortably a level about that. Seeing how Cove, FC Edinburgh and. Kelty have done since they came up, being top of the lowland league is clearly not far off championship/League1 level. Hopefully our B teams earn the right to be able to enter the pyramid like other teams.

To be honest, I'd rather see ambitious teams like Darvel and the other big junior teams getting their chance than some of the dross that makes up the lower league. Slamming the door on them iseliminating the opportunity for new teams with bigger fanbases to improve the Scottish game.

Good point. It's been interesting to see how quickly some of the newer teams have raced up the SPFL and also how much some of the teams relegated from league 2 have struggled in the highland/lowland leagues. I don't know much about the SPFL clubs but does look like a number of them don't really care about improving and just want to protect their league place.

I'm sure it's hard for them to improve given the lack of money and I've no wish for any of the small number of fans those teams have to see their team suffer, but if there are teams outside of the league who can come in and improve the overall standard that's a good thing for the game and (maybe being too optimistic here) for improving the quality of players coming through the leagues towards the top league and maybe the national team.

With 3 leagues of 16, is that a 30 game season, or would you still incorporate some kind of split?

I’m not strictly saying you are wrong, but one of the factors for smaller clubs is the matchday income and I don’t see them looking to significantly reduce that.

I'm hope for an 18-14-14 league set-up.

34 game top flight (Division 1) to alleviate congestion and reduce the threat of relegation on the best of the rest to hopefully allow them security enough to be creative

Division 2 and 3 below would see a split after 26 games, before the top 6 play a further 10 (plus play-offs) and the bottom 8 face another 14 games

Last edited:
I know it'll never happen but our B teams would be so much better if they were playing at a higher level. For instance when Barca and Real Madrid B's used to play in the second tier of Spanish football.
I hate nursery teams being allowed to play in the
Professional leagues here in Spain. It only avoids historic clubs like Hercules or Recreativo Huelva occupying that spot in laLiga 2 for example.

But Scottish football is a different example. It is clearly lacking incentives, new productive ideas. I think allowing Rangers b team into the SPFL pyramidal system would be of great benefit for smaller clubs and would be a better chance for the younger players to improve their raising.

A cap might be introduced. Not being promoted above league One, for example.

Don’t disagree but the big clubs in Scotland, including us, shouldn’t be allowed to enter B teams into the proper league system as it’ll just clog it up

Imagine rangers or Celtic B winning the championship regularly and blocking teams promotion. It would make a mockery of Scottish football
The Spanish big teams have B teams in their tier system, has not affected their league structure.

They need to move the B team fixtures to Broadwood too, bigger stadium in a pretty central and easily accessible location.

We don't want to play on a plastic pitch though we approached Thistle this season and they said no after the state their pitch got in sharing with Queens Park. Ayr as well but they said no too so it's why we stayed at Dumbarton cause its a grass pitch.

The pyramid structure in theory is great ,but there still isn't enough promotion/ relegation from division 2.

Agreed on league 2 at least 2 should be relegated if the Highland/Lowland champions are next in line to be promoted. The Lowland League needs to open up more as well though as you can't have the East, South and West of Scotland champions playing a 3 way series playoff to gain 1 promotion spot.

You know that many SPL sides don't have a youth team right? There wouldn't be enough for a league and it wouldn't be remotely competitive enough.

Playing in League 2 to Championship would be very good for the Old Firm and could eventually for the national team. Whether it would be good for the rest of the clubs down there, I doubt it. Slightly torn, but overall the greater good should be prioritised.
Make it mandatory for every team in the top league and championship to have a reserve team and fulfil all fixtures otherwise your first team is not allowed to play . It really is that simple .
People will claim they can’t afford it then it means you have to reduce your cost of the 1st team and often that means you get a couple less diddy has beens and your youth get more of a chance .

They shouldn't be creating a League Three to do this. It should be part of a national restructuring of the entire pyramid with larger leagues and less tiers at SPFL level. B-Teams should be entered at an appropriate level.
Scottish football people are mental. All I've heard in 40yrs is about them wanting major change to our game. Yet when they get the opportunity, they act all offended if anything is put forward for the good of the game.

The idea that B teams are the reason that the Dutch and Spanish do so well ignores the very limited impact that B team football has in Germany. German B sides typically play in regional leagues. A couple of them will sometimes have a run in 3.Liga. You're more likely to see German sides loaning their better youngsters out to teams in 3.Liga or Bundesliga 2 than to rely on their B teams playing in the German regional leagues.

If we don't improve everything that happens before kids hit 18/19 years of age then playing them against low level professionals won't make a bit of difference. We still won't produce good players. We also need to abandon this notion that teams can't play 20/21 year olds because of the risk involved. If a 20 year old can't be relied on to be part of Rangers' squad and to come on as a sub, or to start some games against weaker opposition, then they're never going to be good enough. Neither Rangers nor Celtic have developed good enough youngsters beyond that critical mid teens age where we lost Gilmour to Chelsea and the striker who went to Villa. Patterson was a massive exception - you need to go back to Alan Hutton to see the player before him who was developed by the club, played for Rangers first team as a young player and who then moved on for strong money.

There are very good reasons why we should change the league set-up in Scotland. My own preference would be 3 leagues of 16 teams, a proper winter break, fewer midweek games and a change to the cup competitions. But changing to accommodate B teams isnt going to magically fix our game.

Loan moves don't really help us as a club when we use them who was the last young player to go on loan then become a first team regular? Ross McCrorie maybe? Majority of loans we do now is because there's nothing for our players after the 18s league there's nothing to bridge the gap between that and right into men's football.

If you take Ajax for example and the squad they had against us 12 Dutch players in it 7 of them all played at least 2 years in the Dutch 2nd division at a young age whether that be with Ajax, PSV or Alkmaar. Not saying we will ever replicate what Ajax or the Dutch do in general but we need to find a way to develop our own talent that's maybe not just ready for first team football.

Do whats best for the professional game?

Part time clubs are professional. Believe it or not, Scottish football exists as more than a play thing for Rangers and Celtic.
What do they add to the game? A few leagues worth of teams with a few hundred fans? How are they going to help Scotland improve on the international scene and Scottish clubs improve in Europe.

I never mentioned anything about it being a play thing for Rangers and Celtic.

Hilarious that a guy like that thinks his opinion is valued when it comes to developing the most talented players in the country.

These plans are all about getting our best young players more minutes, it won’t be worthwhile and competitive until we are able to progress through the leagues.

What will we do, develop players for clubs and national team, or keep gaffer of some plastic junior team happy?

I don’t know the solution, but we need to find a way to give our promising youngsters much more game time at senior level from the age of 16 onwards. The likes of Lowry, clearly very talented, but having played only 8 senior games, some as a sub, by the age of 19 really holds players back. Not all 16/17 year olds are ready, but the pathway needs to be there and it never has been in Scotland.

Why is it a "cynical" plan?

I would have thought a cynical plan would involve bumping a few of the pointless clubs from the existing fourth tier back down to regional leagues.

Every one of our B team players should be loaned out to either a Championship or league 1 team imo. Playing against and with older ex pros, no pampering or fancy meals, physio, arriving on the bus etc.

They need to appreciate the pathway of being a Rangers player. They aren't getting it playing against amateurs, who incidentally have more heart imo.

It's been done to death why the top league needs to remain small due to keeping 4 old firm games. There's abs8no reason though the next two divisions couldn't be two leagues of 20 or even 22.

Darvel and 3 or 4 other Junior clubs were told last season that they would be invited into this new league as well so I don't know why Kennedy is moaning.
More league clubs would mean all sponsorship money would be divided between more clubs so someone us going to take the hit for that.
The Junior Clubs have tabled proposals but trust me that is going nowhere. The League 2 Clubs don't want wider access to the league or proper restructuring. Clubs in Glasgow are massively hindered by the Council and the sell off of facilities.

It needs a total restructure all at once. Plenty of ambition out there and opportunity for well run clubs. Its the Cowdenbeaths and Alloas of this world that don't want change.

I wouldn't be wanting to talk anyone from Darvel about integrity and anyone that knows the Management will know it is all about getting attention. Ayrshire Councils bend over backwards to help their sides. the lack of support for ground and facility development compared to down south is shameful.

Loan moves don't really help us as a club when we use them who was the last young player to go on loan then become a first team regular? Ross McCrorie maybe? Majority of loans we do now is because there's nothing for our players after the 18s league there's nothing to bridge the gap between that and right into men's football.

If you take Ajax for example and the squad they had against us 12 Dutch players in it 7 of them all played at least 2 years in the Dutch 2nd division at a young age whether that be with Ajax, PSV or Alkmaar. Not saying we will ever replicate what Ajax or the Dutch do in general but we need to find a way to develop our own talent that's maybe not just ready for first team football.

Thats a reflection on how poor the youngsters we've been bringing through are. I've seen plenty of OF loanees in the lower leagues. Very few of them are good players, or go on to become good players. Scotland has a problem with the number of kids playing football from a young age, sticking with it through to their late teens/early 20s and ultimately working hard enough and having the raw talent to actually make it in the game.

What do they add to the game? A few leagues worth of teams with a few hundred fans? How are they going to help Scotland improve on the international scene and Scottish clubs improve in Europe.

Thats the inference though.

How many Scotland national team regulars in the past 15 years have come through the ranks at Ibrox and have played meaningful first team football for Rangers? Or Celtic? And I'll buy the argument about wanting the Scotland national team to improve or Scottish clubs to do better when we don't have fans dreaming of the day that Rangers can leave what they'll happily call a footballing backwater and when Rangers fans don't treat the national team with outright contempt.

The 350 fans who follow Albion Rovers, for example, are just as passionate about their club as any other football fan is. They keep football affordable and accessible for their fans. They offer a means of playing football for youngsters or players who aren't going to make the grade in the top 2 divisions. They'll take guys who perhaps dropped out of pro youth and who have talent but who need a 2nd chance.

They add to the game because they exist, the have fans who follow them and who are passionate about them and because that's enough to justify their existence, And if they drop out of League 2 then somebody else will come up. Another team that offers their local community an affordable and hopefully sustainable link to football. Look at the community football work that Clydebank do as a great example. The Bankies will never be a top flight team. They'll probably never be more than a yoyo team between the 2nd and 3rd tiers if they ever do manage to get promotion. But if they do then they deserve their place in Scottish football.

It needs a total restructure all at once. Plenty of ambition out there and opportunity for well run clubs. Its the Cowdenbeaths and Alloas of this world that don't want change.
I'd disagree with both clubs you've mentioned. Alloa's been one of the more ambitious part time sides in the last decade. 2 league Cup quarter finals, 5yrs in Championship, beat us, Dundee Utd Hearts, Hibs etc.

Also Cowdenbeath were punching well above weight level for a few years in the championship. Unfortunately that's went all to shit now.

I'd disagree with both clubs you've mentioned. Alloa's been one of the more ambitious part time sides in the last decade. 2 league Cup quarter finals, 5yrs in Championship, beat us, Dundee Utd Hearts, Hibs etc.

Also Cowdenbeath were punching well above weight level for a few years in the championship. Unfortunately that's went all to shit now.
They can only maintain that by SFA earnings and keeping the shop closed to bigger clubs below them. It those running these clubs that don't won't wider football growth, short sighted petty and will be the death of their clubs.

Kids don't go to their local clubs and generational plenty clubs are shrinking.

He’s moaning as he loves the sound of his own voice, the prick.

If that's the point you're making then why bother having lower divisions at all? Not helping the international teams so just scrap all 2nd tier football worldwide.

Back