Old Firm midfield battle

Don’t care who is available and playing for them on February 2nd, or whenever they decide it’s being played….Livingston on Wednesday then Ross County on Saturday. Then we can talk…
This is a massive season….to the tune of One Day At A Time….
One Game At A Time….

Souttar to score winner on Wednesday, join us before window ends and then scores v them.

Plenty of reason to be confident and hopeful of a post Hearts + Rangers collapse from the filth but let's not get carried away, lot of football to be played for that to happen
Some getting carried away here. Nothing's won yet. Keep the foot to the floor.

The issue for me is not about who we pick in midfield or elsewhere but rather how Gio approaches the game. If he sends us out to sit in and soak up pressure, with the aim of getting a point, then I would be concerned, irrespective of what team he picks. But if he sends us out to compete with them on a straight up basis, to play on the front foot and with the better team to win, I would back us strongly. My fear is that Gio opts for a way too negative game plan.

The issue for me is not about who we pick in midfield or elsewhere but rather how Gio approaches the game. If he sends us out to sit in and soak up pressure, with the aim of getting a point, then I would be concerned, irrespective of what team he picks. But if he sends us out to compete with them on a straight up basis, to play on the front foot and with the better team to win, I would back us strongly. My fear is that Gio opts for a way too negative game plan.
Both teams results prior to the Old Firm game will likely decide this.

If they drop any points before it and we dont then I can see him going there and being happy to leave with a point.

Same here. I don't think that kind of game plan will work in this kind of game. It would be just asking for bother imo.

Both teams results prior to the Old Firm game will likely decide this.

If they drop any points before it and we dont then I can see him going there and being happy to leave with a point.
I would take a point right now. A point there is always a good result. But if we go and play for a point I think we are far more likely to leave with nothing. Whereas if we go and just play on the front foot against them then we are likely to come away with something, be it 3 points or 1.

It's a tricky one tbh. Every team they've faced that defended deep and narrow against them and hit on the counter they've struggled against. Teams, even in Europe, who've went toe to toe with them and defended with a higher line they've not necessarily beaten but looked decent and have scored a few goals against. With our pace on the counter and how open they play defensively we could in all honesty comprehensively annihilate them, but conversely, like yourself, I'd rather see us press them high from the first whistle, don't let them settle or give them easy possession and I think we'd score more than they would. As I said, it's a tricky one. Think he will choose option 1 though.

Hopefully we line up as follows

McGregor

Tav Goldson Bassey Barisic

Arfield Kamara

Sakala Aribo Kent

Roofe
Close but if Davis is fit he's 100% in there instead of Arfield. Need to control of ball better in mid against better opposition which arfield doesn't quite do.

Close but if Davis is fit he's 100% in there instead of Arfield. Need to control of ball better in mid against better opposition which arfield doesn't quite do.

Arfield would do just fine, Their midfield is going to be honking.

If we take six points before that game and then win there that's close to sealing the league. I put a flag up last year when we won 55 and have a picture with it flying and snow on the ground. Wouldn't mind getting another picture the same.

Hopefully a new Right Winger by the time we play them. It's been a problem position for too long. I expect Souttar to be in contention too.

Arfield's energy and enthusiasm is key in OF games. He has a real combative quality that is invaluable in OF games. I would play him and Davis.

Shaping up to potentially be Kamara, possibly Arfield & Aribo up against:

Hetate, Soro & McCarthy??

Rogic, McGregor & Turnbull all out.

We’ll wipe the floor with them in there.
Some folk never learn.
No matter who plays, it never works out this way.
Been going to old firm games for 50 years and it seldom plans out the way expected.

Hopefully we line up as follows

McGregor

Tav Goldson Bassey Barisic

Arfield Kamara

Sakala Aribo Kent

Roofe
That’s the team I want to see

Aribo getting the ball centrally against any of their midfielders especially the new Japanese will be like swatting flies

Button is so slow he will be pulling back and hopefully get booked early

We should press them all over the park especially strafelt who is hopeless on and off the ball just wish Alfie was available he would rag doll him

Can’t wait now

Back