Old Firm should battle it out for Porteous - Kris Boyd

Slow news day for kris , just when you think boydy turns a big corner he comes out with sh1t like this, read the room fkuc sake.

Rangers and Celtic MUST battle it out to sign Ryan Porteous, says Kris Boyd – I’m sure the run-ins would be forgotten

IF Rangers and Celtic are not already fighting it out for the signature of Ryan Porteous then they should be.

The Hibs defender is out of contract in the summer and he’ll be the perfect fit for either of the Old Firm, who need central defensive reinforcements.
People might be surprised by me touting him for a big move as I have been critical of him in the past.

Yes, some of his antics infuriate you but I have never ever questioned his ability.

Porteous’ performance on his Scotland debut against Ukraine shows when he’s on it then he’s as good as any central defender in the country.

It has been mentioned that his display under the utmost pressure in Poland was a one-off. It wasn’t.

There have been plenty of other top-class performances in a Hibs jersey over the past couple of seasons.

Unfortunately they get lost or forgotten amidst all the other baggage that comes with the 23-year-old.

Too often a lack of discipline on and off the park overshadows the good stuff.

His reputation does go before him at times which is a shame because he certainly has bags of talent.
Porteous has every attribute needed to thrive at Ibrox or Parkhead.
He’s fast, a good passer of the ball and aggressive.

Sometimes he is over-aggressive, but I don’t mind that in the centre half.

Not every player has what it takes to play for the Old Firm.

But the Hibs stopper has shown previously, and proved again in midweek, that he is cut out for the big occasion.
It is imperative he now uses that display going forward as the blueprint for the rest of his career.

It highlighted how good a player he can be when he cuts out all the nonsense.

The time has come for Porteous to forget about playing to the gallery and stop being the pantomime villain.

The 23-year-old also needs to stop focusing on trying to be the hard man and wise guy.

Of course we all do stupid things when we are younger trying to impress the wrong people. I get that.

But the only people that he should be trying to impress are his manager and team-mates.
He doesn’t need to get involved in every single incident on the park. Or off it for that matter.

Maybe his time with Scotland last week will prove to be the humbling experience he needs.

Suddenly he wouldn’t have been the big fish in a small pond like he is right now at Easter Road.

He would’ve been surrounded by top class professionals he respects, or should respect.

Working with a coach who thrives on setting up teams to defend for their lives would also have been a positive experience for him.

Steve Clarke is also a manager who doesn’t suffer fools and wouldn’t stand for anybody playing to the crowd.

He clearly rates him as well and if the defender screws the nut then there is a big move waiting for him around the corner.
Porteous is an international who will be available on a free transfer in eight months. Signing him should be a no-brainer.

Yes, he has had run-ins with Rangers and Celtic in the past and there is history, but I’m sure that would be forgotten if he turned in displays like Tuesday night every week.

It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the same levels of intensity and concentration for Hibs against Ross County today.

I’m also curious to see how Celtic react to losing in the Premiership for the first time in a year.

They threw Rangers a lifeline when suffering defeat at St Mirren prior to the international break.

Ange Posetcoglou decided to give a number of players a break and I could understand some of his calls

It made sense to give Josip Juranovic a rest when he had international games coming up while Cameron Carter-Vickers was nursing a knock.

For the life of me I couldn’t get my head around Jota not starting.
It would have made more sense to give Callum McGregor a day off.

I just wouldn’t contemplate ever leaving Jota out given that he doesn’t play international football.

Daizen Maeda and Liel Abada are two terrific players, but they are very similar. They take the opposition out of the game mainly with their pace.

What Jota offers is trickery as well and that is what is required when teams like St Mirren sit deep and don’t afford you any space in behind.

Fair play to Saints boss Stephen Robinson because he got his tactics spot on and they did extremely well to nullify Celtic.
That was the first time for as long as I can remember that Postecoglou’s team ran out of ideas.

It has been plain sailing domestically for a while now and it will be interesting to see how he reacts. Though I expect them to get the three points this afternoon.

The Buddies winning was also a good result for the rest of Scottish football.

It highlighted that the big guns can’t rest players when they feel like it and expect to turn up anywhere and collect three points.

It keeps it a bit more exciting at the top with Celtic looking as if they could have ran away with it.

Yet, the fact the champions lost doesn’t take away from Rangers’ performances at the moment.
Their away form hasn’t been great and they face a tough test today at Tynecastle.

If Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s men don’t win then questions will continue to be asked of all involved at Ibrox.
Has Boyd fell and bumped his head or something? Why would we want to sign a rat like him that has posed with a picture of him over Alfie and who has a conviction for hitting a female with a tumbler and bursting her head open!

Boydy with FF on toast again.

Just such a daft premise yet people go in two footed, lol.

He was kinda crap in the first half for Scotland the other night, but a rock in the second. A weird player. He'll be really good at a top half Championship club in the next year or two.
He's "kinda " a rat with a criminal conviction for assaulting a female, so, why wouldn't posters feel annoyed at Boyd for such a crackpot suggestion!

Rangers and Celtic MUST battle it out to sign Ryan Porteous, says Kris Boyd – I’m sure the run-ins would be forgotten

IF Rangers and Celtic are not already fighting it out for the signature of Ryan Porteous then they should be.

The Hibs defender is out of contract in the summer and he’ll be the perfect fit for either of the Old Firm, who need central defensive reinforcements.
People might be surprised by me touting him for a big move as I have been critical of him in the past.

Yes, some of his antics infuriate you but I have never ever questioned his ability.

Porteous’ performance on his Scotland debut against Ukraine shows when he’s on it then he’s as good as any central defender in the country.

It has been mentioned that his display under the utmost pressure in Poland was a one-off. It wasn’t.

There have been plenty of other top-class performances in a Hibs jersey over the past couple of seasons.

Unfortunately they get lost or forgotten amidst all the other baggage that comes with the 23-year-old.

Too often a lack of discipline on and off the park overshadows the good stuff.

His reputation does go before him at times which is a shame because he certainly has bags of talent.
Porteous has every attribute needed to thrive at Ibrox or Parkhead.
He’s fast, a good passer of the ball and aggressive.

Sometimes he is over-aggressive, but I don’t mind that in the centre half.

Not every player has what it takes to play for the Old Firm.

But the Hibs stopper has shown previously, and proved again in midweek, that he is cut out for the big occasion.
It is imperative he now uses that display going forward as the blueprint for the rest of his career.

It highlighted how good a player he can be when he cuts out all the nonsense.

The time has come for Porteous to forget about playing to the gallery and stop being the pantomime villain.

The 23-year-old also needs to stop focusing on trying to be the hard man and wise guy.

Of course we all do stupid things when we are younger trying to impress the wrong people. I get that.

But the only people that he should be trying to impress are his manager and team-mates.
He doesn’t need to get involved in every single incident on the park. Or off it for that matter.

Maybe his time with Scotland last week will prove to be the humbling experience he needs.

Suddenly he wouldn’t have been the big fish in a small pond like he is right now at Easter Road.

He would’ve been surrounded by top class professionals he respects, or should respect.

Working with a coach who thrives on setting up teams to defend for their lives would also have been a positive experience for him.

Steve Clarke is also a manager who doesn’t suffer fools and wouldn’t stand for anybody playing to the crowd.

He clearly rates him as well and if the defender screws the nut then there is a big move waiting for him around the corner.
Porteous is an international who will be available on a free transfer in eight months. Signing him should be a no-brainer.

Yes, he has had run-ins with Rangers and Celtic in the past and there is history, but I’m sure that would be forgotten if he turned in displays like Tuesday night every week.

It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the same levels of intensity and concentration for Hibs against Ross County today.

I’m also curious to see how Celtic react to losing in the Premiership for the first time in a year.

They threw Rangers a lifeline when suffering defeat at St Mirren prior to the international break.

Ange Posetcoglou decided to give a number of players a break and I could understand some of his calls

It made sense to give Josip Juranovic a rest when he had international games coming up while Cameron Carter-Vickers was nursing a knock.

For the life of me I couldn’t get my head around Jota not starting.
It would have made more sense to give Callum McGregor a day off.

I just wouldn’t contemplate ever leaving Jota out given that he doesn’t play international football.

Daizen Maeda and Liel Abada are two terrific players, but they are very similar. They take the opposition out of the game mainly with their pace.

What Jota offers is trickery as well and that is what is required when teams like St Mirren sit deep and don’t afford you any space in behind.

Fair play to Saints boss Stephen Robinson because he got his tactics spot on and they did extremely well to nullify Celtic.
That was the first time for as long as I can remember that Postecoglou’s team ran out of ideas.

It has been plain sailing domestically for a while now and it will be interesting to see how he reacts. Though I expect them to get the three points this afternoon.

The Buddies winning was also a good result for the rest of Scottish football.

It highlighted that the big guns can’t rest players when they feel like it and expect to turn up anywhere and collect three points.

It keeps it a bit more exciting at the top with Celtic looking as if they could have ran away with it.

Yet, the fact the champions lost doesn’t take away from Rangers’ performances at the moment.
Their away form hasn’t been great and they face a tough test today at Tynecastle.

If Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s men don’t win then questions will continue to be asked of all involved at Ibrox.

Credit where it is due, he was very good versus Ukraine but he will cost Scotland in the future with a stupid red card or penalty.

The boy is an utter balloon.

I don't think even Celtic would sign him. They would have done it by now if they were interested.

Us? Not a chance.

Plays well in a team that regularly have to defend for their lives. Stick him in a team that have over 70% possession of the ball and you’ll soon see his lack of ability.

If we are looking to get players in that possess physicality and aggression then I’d rather bring one in that has the intelligence to go with it.

Listen, it’s transparently one of those articles Boyd gets paid to stick his name to that’s shamelessly designed to provoke a reaction from supporters.

Porteous will end up in League 1 down south. That’s his level.

He’s better than Souttar
Obviously harder to judge because of Souttar's injury record,but basing it on the park I can't remember Souttar making as many mistakes as Porteous does on a week to week basis, check out the goals Hibs have lost over the past 2 seasons and he is involved in a least 50% of them. Porteous played well the other night with Scotland but as usual the media go over the top in praise. There was still flaws there for all to see and as far as that great tackle in the last minute, if he was a fraction away from mistiming it and us losing the game I wonder what the reaction and headlines would have been then. He would never get away with his antics playing with us so def not for me.

Boyd mentioned the baggage, of which there is plenty.
If you only assess him on the baggage it is an easy no.

If you look beyond it and judge him on his youth as a centre back, where he is in his career at the moment, and his potential to improve in the position then it becomes a different matter.

The first is a knee jerk reaction the second requires a more considered approach.

His debut for Scotland in a tie away from home against strong attacking opposition was as good for a Scotland centre back as I can recall.

Keep an open mind, decent quality Scottish centre backs are fairly rare nowadays.

Boyd mentioned the baggage, of which there is plenty.
If you only assess him on the baggage it is an easy no.

If you look beyond it and judge him on his youth as a centre back, where he is in his career at the moment, and his potential to improve in the position then it becomes a different matter.

The first is a knee jerk reaction the second is one of more considered approach.

His debut for Scotland in a tie away from home against strong attacking opposition was as good for a centre back as I can recall.

Keep an open mind, decent quality Scottish centre backs are fairly rare nowadays.
He has a criminal conviction for assaulting a female with a tumbler and splitting her head open. Then there is all his baggage against us and his behaviour with Alfie.

He's a Edinburgh chav ..

Celtic will sign him and he’ll become a mainstay of their team.

He is loathsome, and had the intelligence of plankton but I’ve little doubt he’ll be a decent player in years to come.

I still wouldn’t want him at Ibrox though.

Football wise it does make sense. He could be a decent player. But being a rangers player is much more than football ability. It’s about character. We have values and this turd falls so far short of those

He has a criminal conviction for assaulting a female with a tumbler and splitting her head open. Then there is all his baggage against us and his behaviour with Alfie.

He's a Edinburgh chav ..
Tom Lawrence plead guilty to drink driving a few years back. That’s a lot more ‘baggage’ than what Porteous would bring.

We should be looking at players like him, the best ‘young’ Scottish players in the league.

He's a Edinburgh chav ..
I thought it was a plastic tumbler. But I admit I don't read these stories as I don't have the time.
The nonsense with Alfie is just that ... nonsense.
As team mates they would soon be the best of buddies.
At 23 Porteous is still very young for a centre back, but already he has experience.
He will have a good career if he manages to screw the nut.

On the upside if we sign him he will fall injured and not play in Scottish football again. Heck, it’s worth it. I’ll even contribute to his weekly wage. The pricks prick.

Realistically, he's correct. We should be all over a young Scottish international on a free transfer every day of the week to help with the homegrown quota

But this guy ? Nah. He's a danger to his fellow professionals, panders to the worst element of the Hibs support and seems to take a real pride in hurting his opponents.

I don't think Celtic would touch him with a barge pole either TBH.

I find myself agreeing with Kris Boyd 99% of the time whenever I read his column.

However, on this occasion, he's wrong.

Yes RP had a good game the other night, but he's been proven time and again to be a bombscare and unreliable with his rash decision making.

The media hype train that's followed Tuesday night is way over the top, but utterly predictable. There's absolutely no middle ground when it comes to the reporting of football in our country anymore. It's sensationalist nonsense where players are either useless or world class.

But anyway, Ryan Porteous - not for me.

Has Boyd been huffing the glue before he wrote that? I guess its the sort of typical piece we always get up here when someone has a great performance in a one-off game against one of the OF, or a Scotland debut.

"coo-story-bro" alert

My son ran in to him at a local shop recently and Porteous was very polite, happy to get a picture and spend some time talking about football, what team my boy played for, what position he played etc.

King is streets ahead imho and it wont be long before he’s in the Scotland squad.

Not sure the likes of Porteus would have made it through our youth system and if he had he would be much more level headed and rounded individual.

Football wise it does make sense. He could be a decent player. But being a rangers player is much more than football ability. It’s about character. We have values and this turd falls so far short of those
Maybe he jsut needs to get out of Edinburgh and away from his group of neddish pals?
Glasgow of course may not be far enough.
But young immature men often become older and more grounded individuals who grow with the challenges of life.

Tom Lawrence plead guilty to drink driving a few years back. That’s a lot more ‘baggage’ than what Porteous would bring.

We should be looking at players like him, the best ‘young’ Scottish players in the league.

eye-roll.gif

Maybe he jsut needs to get out of Edinburgh and away from his group of neddish pals?
Glasgow of course may not be far enough.
But young immature men often become older and more grounded individuals who grow with the challenges of life.
As for the tumbler it was a plastic tumbler but he hit her that hard on the head, he split her head open. Thats the short of rat that should never play for us. then there's his constant fued with us and Alfie!

Going to go against the grain on this one. I can’t stand Porteous, think he’s a lady's front bottom but I’d take him.

We need some bad bastards in our team. Too many soft as shite players who are scared.

He would need major work to mould him but it’s not an impossible task.
Don't like him either but he has plenty of qualities so I would take him as well.

I remember thousands saying that when we signed Mo Johnstone. Some probably didn't renew, but there are thousands waiting for your season ticket. I don't think it will happen, but if he can get a grip of himself, he will be a very good defender. He does make mistakes on the park, but then who doesn't.

Maurice Johnston was actually a good player.
Porteous will not get a grip of himself.

If your hatred of Ryan Porteous is stronger than your love for Rangers and you’d be willing to give up your season ticket if we signed him then I’d have to question your support of the club to begin with.

What gives you the right to question people's support of the club?

I just don’t get this Porteous has ability myth.

He is overrated gets caught out of position and cheats embarrassingly regularly.

If he ever came to Ibrox, I would seriously consider packing it all in.

But we won’t so you don’t need to make a negative out of nothing just got the sake of it.

I know, it won't happen. But...if it did, it would be up there with Australia debacle for how absolutely out of touch the board is imo.

Was pished last night, dare say if seen this sober I'd have laughed at it.

Best career move that cretin could make is join the paedos …. He’d get away with murder and excuses would be made for him ….. the new Broon would be born

Back