Old Firm should battle it out for Porteous - Kris Boyd

What about Gazza?
He had some small baggage with our team before signing and well, possibly was worse in an escapade with a woman?
Is he nonpersona to you now?
I knew you would say Gazza! If Gazza had been in the same position as Porteous, I wouldnt have wanted to sign him at all.

Maybe he shouldn't be allowed back inside Ibrox.
Do you advocate that?
Gazza had mental health problems when he had issues with his wife, he also has spoken about the regrets he has about what happened and worked on his issues. This is not the same thing at all.

The only reason any club should have him on their books is as a public service by leaving him out of the team.

You must've had a blinder of a night Boydie! Either that or you've lost a wee bet with someone.

Rangers and Celtic MUST battle it out to sign Ryan Porteous, says Kris Boyd – I’m sure the run-ins would be forgotten

IF Rangers and Celtic are not already fighting it out for the signature of Ryan Porteous then they should be.

The Hibs defender is out of contract in the summer and he’ll be the perfect fit for either of the Old Firm, who need central defensive reinforcements.
People might be surprised by me touting him for a big move as I have been critical of him in the past.

Yes, some of his antics infuriate you but I have never ever questioned his ability.

Porteous’ performance on his Scotland debut against Ukraine shows when he’s on it then he’s as good as any central defender in the country.

It has been mentioned that his display under the utmost pressure in Poland was a one-off. It wasn’t.

There have been plenty of other top-class performances in a Hibs jersey over the past couple of seasons.

Unfortunately they get lost or forgotten amidst all the other baggage that comes with the 23-year-old.

Too often a lack of discipline on and off the park overshadows the good stuff.

His reputation does go before him at times which is a shame because he certainly has bags of talent.
Porteous has every attribute needed to thrive at Ibrox or Parkhead.
He’s fast, a good passer of the ball and aggressive.

Sometimes he is over-aggressive, but I don’t mind that in the centre half.

Not every player has what it takes to play for the Old Firm.

But the Hibs stopper has shown previously, and proved again in midweek, that he is cut out for the big occasion.
It is imperative he now uses that display going forward as the blueprint for the rest of his career.

It highlighted how good a player he can be when he cuts out all the nonsense.

The time has come for Porteous to forget about playing to the gallery and stop being the pantomime villain.

The 23-year-old also needs to stop focusing on trying to be the hard man and wise guy.

Of course we all do stupid things when we are younger trying to impress the wrong people. I get that.

But the only people that he should be trying to impress are his manager and team-mates.
He doesn’t need to get involved in every single incident on the park. Or off it for that matter.

Maybe his time with Scotland last week will prove to be the humbling experience he needs.

Suddenly he wouldn’t have been the big fish in a small pond like he is right now at Easter Road.

He would’ve been surrounded by top class professionals he respects, or should respect.

Working with a coach who thrives on setting up teams to defend for their lives would also have been a positive experience for him.

Steve Clarke is also a manager who doesn’t suffer fools and wouldn’t stand for anybody playing to the crowd.

He clearly rates him as well and if the defender screws the nut then there is a big move waiting for him around the corner.
Porteous is an international who will be available on a free transfer in eight months. Signing him should be a no-brainer.

Yes, he has had run-ins with Rangers and Celtic in the past and there is history, but I’m sure that would be forgotten if he turned in displays like Tuesday night every week.

It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the same levels of intensity and concentration for Hibs against Ross County today.

I’m also curious to see how Celtic react to losing in the Premiership for the first time in a year.

They threw Rangers a lifeline when suffering defeat at St Mirren prior to the international break.

Ange Posetcoglou decided to give a number of players a break and I could understand some of his calls

It made sense to give Josip Juranovic a rest when he had international games coming up while Cameron Carter-Vickers was nursing a knock.

For the life of me I couldn’t get my head around Jota not starting.
It would have made more sense to give Callum McGregor a day off.

I just wouldn’t contemplate ever leaving Jota out given that he doesn’t play international football.

Daizen Maeda and Liel Abada are two terrific players, but they are very similar. They take the opposition out of the game mainly with their pace.

What Jota offers is trickery as well and that is what is required when teams like St Mirren sit deep and don’t afford you any space in behind.

Fair play to Saints boss Stephen Robinson because he got his tactics spot on and they did extremely well to nullify Celtic.
That was the first time for as long as I can remember that Postecoglou’s team ran out of ideas.

It has been plain sailing domestically for a while now and it will be interesting to see how he reacts. Though I expect them to get the three points this afternoon.

The Buddies winning was also a good result for the rest of Scottish football.

It highlighted that the big guns can’t rest players when they feel like it and expect to turn up anywhere and collect three points.

It keeps it a bit more exciting at the top with Celtic looking as if they could have ran away with it.

Yet, the fact the champions lost doesn’t take away from Rangers’ performances at the moment.
Their away form hasn’t been great and they face a tough test today at Tynecastle.

If Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s men don’t win then questions will continue to be asked of all involved at Ibrox.
It's official - Boydy doesn't writer his articles

He is a half decent centre half. Still got totally skinned twice against Ukraine. Bad finishing from them allowed the fan club to act as if he is Baresi.

He'll get a two million pound move to the English championship, disappear for 9 years and then turn up in Scotland again playing for Aberdeen/Dundee United.

I don't like the guy but he was impressive for Scotland during the week. I'd consider it to be honest. Never thought I'd ever say that

He would get away with more playing for them so the fhilth are the obvious choice,He’d miss half of the season with suspensions if he was a Rangers player.

Kind of player you just know is destined to be an absolute c*** of a player for the Tims. The arsehole swagger, plastic hard man one minute then faking injury and slapping the ground wanting penalties the next. Good for a red card in Old Firm games. Thats before you get to his off-field behaviour. Let them have him.

I’m wondering… is Boydie trying to get them to sign him? They are a good match and they have a habit of signing shite defenders

Going to go against the grain on this one. I can’t stand Porteous, think he’s a lady's front bottom but I’d take him.

We need some bad bastards in our team. Too many soft as shite players who are scared.

He would need major work to mould him but it’s not an impossible task.
Let’s get Cammy Devlin as well
You started it haha

XFsC4xh.gif

On a free (which he will be in the summer) we could do a lot worse - he’s a decent player and has potential - also ticks a box for Euro Quota …

Question is would our free transfer wages be better spent on a serial injured souttar or the hibs boy…….no brainier

I knew pish like this would pop up after his admittedly excellent performance against Ukraine. The guy's a scumbag.

Apart from being a bang average liability, he is a scummy wee ned.

He completely follows the trend of scumbag prick that's went from hivs to the scum, lego eater, Riorden,thumb... i don't want that sort anywhete near our club, even if he was good enough.

Nobody has posted a balanced view all about how he is a ned a bam and will be the next Riordan, O’Connor, Griffiths.

The three above are absolute scum bags I don’t put Porteous in with them behind the scenes as much as we want him to be - he comes from a sporting family (I’m sure his sister plays in America) he comes from a decent stalk unlike those three wrong ‘uns.

He did have a run in with the law recently don’t think he glassed a woman as the media suggested but let’s be perfectly honest a young footballer doing something daft with his mates hardly a surprise.

The media are getting carried away after his Scotland debut as impressive as it was.

On a side note, he absolutely has a skill set. He is always fit, doesn’t hide, scores a few goals and gets bloody stuck on.

Nobody has posted a balanced view all about how he is a ned a bam and will be the next Riordan, O’Connor, Griffiths.

The three above are absolute scum bags I don’t put Porteous in with them behind the scenes as much as we want him to be - he comes from a sporting family (I’m sure his sister plays in America) he comes from a decent stalk unlike those three wrong ‘uns.

He did have a run in with the law recently don’t think he glassed a woman as the media suggested but let’s be perfectly honest a young footballer doing something daft with his mates hardly a surprise.

The media are getting carried away after his Scotland debut as impressive as it was.

On a side note, he absolutely has a skill set. He is always fit, doesn’t hide, scores a few goals and gets bloody stuck on.

Porteous has a criminal conviction for assaulting a female with a tumbler and splitting her head open! Of course he is an Edinburgh chav.

Back