One Player Who Escaped Criticism

Ray Donovan

Arfield.

If he has off field issues why is Gerrard playing him

Surely he gives him time off to sort his problems out.

All I see from Arfield is so meone who runs about (slowly) getting involved in challenges he will never win.

What is all this 'off the ball work' nonsense?

He is far to slow as an inside forward.

If he plays then it's got to be in the Kamara position

He’s hardly escaped criticism most have said he’s been off the pace for majority of the season, any excuse for a new thread about a player.

Arfield.

All I see from Arfield is so meone who runs about (slowly) getting involved in challenges he will never win.

Funnily enough, after Gerrard telling us he had an issue, he had a decent game, his best for a while.
Might even have been our mom!

Ok, a few points to hopefully put that op to bed.

he scored.
he was playing in midfield and Aribo was playing ahead of him.
“off the ball work” if you’re not sure of the benefit of that it kind of sums up your knowledge of football.

Arfield.

Is this his previous home, experience?

Arfield.

It's a good thing your name rhymes with Roy Orbison. That would explain things

It's mental that Gerrard is playing someone who has issues.

We have a decent squad. Nobody is irreplaceable

Mental, yet vindicated in the first half yesterday when Arfield was excellent, probably our best player on the park and played a part in getting us into a lead only to be let down by the failings of others.

Arfield.

Too.

I think we have the full house now.

I’d hate to think what this place would have been like if Cosgrove had scored that header and we lost.

Jesus wept.

So even to the detriment of the team as long as Arfield plays then that's ok?

Fcuk me that is mental

No that's not what I'm saying.

You're making out it's some huge issue that Gerrard is doing him a disservice by playing him. He wouldn't be playing him if Arfield didn't feel like it.

No that's not what I'm saying.

You're making out it's some huge issue that Gerrard is doing him a disservice by playing him. He wouldn't be playing him if Arfield didn't feel like it.

How clear does it need to be

If you are at work and your boss agrees that you have issues. You get sent home and told to come back when your are fit enough

If you are at work and your boss agrees that you have issues. You get sent home and told to come back when your are fit enough

Or, your boss knows you have an issue but still thinks you’re doing a good enough job and are being unfairly criticised for it. So he makes it known, so people cut him slack.

Oh.

This is just nonsense. I'm actually laughing that you think the working world actually works like that.

It's just not true.

Not many folk are off work weeks after the death of their mother in law for a start.

Last edited:
Gerrard making some very strange decisions for me now. in just about every area.

Gerrard says he has issues off the park.

Why is he playing him?

We have Defoe and Stewart
It depends what the off-field issues are.

Most of us have issues at some time in our lives which are non work related. Personally I’ve had many over the last 3-4 months. But I find going to work actually helps me deal with the issues better as opposed to being at home and allowing the issues to manifest.

Perhaps it’s a similar scenario with Arfield. He might just have asked the gaffer to let him continue playing because it’s helping him.

We know he hasn’t been at his best for the last 5-6 weeks, but you can’t question his commitment or effort even if the end product hasn’t always quite been there of late.

He sure as hell wasn’t to blame for Wednesdays capitulation

Why would we play Stewart? He ripped the sheep to shreds in the 5-0 game a few weeks ago. Scored a couple at the weekend. Don’t be daft.
Don't necessarily disagree with your point, but what difference would Stewart have made? We could scarcely have played any better than we did in the first 40mins. That tends to suggest we got the selection correct, no?
What cost us was schoolboy defending and a weak mentality.

I have my worries if both Arfield and Aribo start on Sunday as both don't do enough lets hope Davis makes it

Goldson's poor positioning was the reason we lost the first goal. Far too close to Helander. The ball breaks - feel McGregor did not have too much choice but to risk coming out. Poor goal to lose.

He has been mostly terrible for a year now.

Shouldn’t be near the first XI

Consistently loses possession more than any other player. So much breaks down as a result of his lack of technical ability. Been saying it for so long. That creative position is far too important to be taken by somebody who rarely creates or scores himself. It was glaring last season and is worse this time around. Yes there's graft , industry, drive call it what you want but there's others in the squad can provide that too. Arfield is substitute material at best.

It depends what the off-field issues are.

Most of us have issues at some time in our lives which are non work related. Personally I’ve had many over the last 3-4 months. But I find going to work actually helps me deal with the issues better as opposed to being at home and allowing the issues to manifest.

Perhaps it’s a similar scenario with Arfield. He might just have asked the gaffer to let him continue playing because it’s helping him.

We know he hasn’t been at his best for the last 5-6 weeks, but you can’t question his commitment or effort even if the end product hasn’t always quite been there of late.

He sure as hell wasn’t to blame for Wednesdays capitulation

That's just it though. His best isn't anywhere near good enough for Rangers. The position he occupies needs filled with someone who offers us a whole lot more than Scott Arfield does. Last season, this season.....not good enough!

I didn’t bother reading the post after I read the headline and the player you were referring to. Where have you been since the season started on the moon?

Back