Only 3/9 players signed in the summer have amassed 40% leauge minutes this season

Danilo been horrendously unlucky with injuries. Understandable .

Sterling has grown into the team more and more, he'll be racking up close to double this seasons minutes going forward.

Balogun was always being signed as cover though IMO he's our second best CB.

Lammers, Cifuentes and Dowell...well...

These types of articles are pointless at times Injuries will always play a part over the season and some are unavoidable like Danilo. You also have so much rotation due to the amount of games we play in a season Clement been worse than Beale for it.

Some have a hard job of playing 40% when they've left the club as well like Lammers and Cifuentes. Cifuentes played a lot of games in Europe and he was also an unused sub 7 times in the league. Lammers was 54 minutes away from playing at least 40% of league minutes for his time he was here an unused sub 3 times etc. Balogun was never brought back to be a starter and Dowell was another who you would class as a squad player.

Between the terrible transfer business last summer, the unreal amount of injuries we suffered this season and the incomeptent refereeing we have had to endure this season (as well as having a chancer as a manager for the first part), the fact we are only 6 points behind is a bit mad if you think about it.

Things could have been so different and honestly if we can control the first two issues even a bit better, it actually gives me some confidence for next season.

Make better singings and keep players out the treatment room. Should be simple, eh?

is it 3/9 or 3/7
The post on twitter has both?
Unless did they mess up the last summer part in the sentences?

3/9 from last summer, 3/7 from the summer before?
Not only that, but a misleading title; missing out the ''>'', meaning Greater Than!

Google says balogun is on 8k a week. No clue how true that is though & signed on a free too.

Less than 500k total price for someone who played 31% of minutes

That's an absolute bargain, like I said I'd sign him up. Maybe drop his wages down to 6k with reduced playing time when we hopefully sign new CBs

I get the point they are trying to make about injuries but when you examine in more detail it isn't that shocking a stat.

Butland , Dessers and Sima - signed as starters and all played significant parts this year.

Balogun, Sterling and Dowell - signed as squad options

Danilo - been injured most of the season.

Lammers and Cifuentes - didn't work out and were moved on in January.

Balogun was signed as a back up, never intended to play 2 games a week. he should have been utilised much more imo. or at least as much as his body could cope with.
Davies should have been utilised more than he had imo , especially with the injuries we have had.

Sums it up, really.

I’ve no qualms about selling any of our squad but as the manager said, only if you can get better in, for a lower price.

Bin Lundstram, Tav & Goldson? Fine. But their replacements will be expected to play (and play well) in 55-60 games. We need to be alert to that.

Goldson spoke on that podcast how difficult it was initially, playing 3 games every 8 days. It’s to his credit he adapted his regime to cope. Will others do that? Or will they stick to the ‘3 games and injured’ pattern? Cos that’s no use to us at all.

is it 3/9 or 3/7

I reread that tweet about 4 or 5 times to make sure I hadn't become illiterate. 3/9 or 3/7.

I get the point they are trying to make about injuries but when you examine in more detail it isn't that shocking a stat.

Butland , Dessers and Sima - signed as starters and all played significant parts this year.

noticed that
its a valid argument with skewed numbers

Lammers played 47% of the minutes he could
for example

Of course we need squad players but we resigned a guy that struggles to stay injury free and play more than twice a week, it was stupid.
Especially given that we were bringing Balogun in as cover in a defence that includes Ben Davies (frequently injured) and John Souttar (track record of serious injuries). It's credit to Souttar that he's stayed more or less fit all the way through the season - until the weekend, of course.

is it 3/9 or 3/7

I've lost track of which year was which but it's definitely referring to the past two summers. Think 3/9 was last summer?

The incredible thing is that Dessers was clearly very unfit for about the first 2 months of the season but Beale insisted on playing him. So it's even worse that that table shows.

It amazes me that we we keep signing injury prone players, keep seeing our squad decimated by injury through the above and/or mismanagement and aching and then also see people getting angrier and angrier that we don't win the League.

Good points. What is that saying about lies and statistics?

Probably a carbon copy, or worse. It can't just be rotten luck, our processes around scouting and fitness need a serious review.
I think we have deliberately targeting players who we can get for cheaper than they would be available for if they were fit and then trying to rehabilitate them. But that only works if you can actually get them fit.

Back