Our budget for next season

Depends if the board decide to spend it.

We also run at a loss and have done for a decade. That money doesn’t just disappear.

It’s been a good run, it returned more revenue than expected, but we won’t spunk £10m+ in the summer.
I'm afraid we need to spunk £10m MINIMUM to stop Celtic next season...

We had a 20m+ loss due to Covid, no player sales etc last season. Yes, we sold out season tickets but that doesn't account for match day revenue, European and Cup games etc. The losses would've been far less otherwise. That has already been addressed this year on both fronts with packed stadia, going further in Europe, in particular, and the cups and the sales of Patterson and effectively Gerrard and the coaching staff. In addition we have also had multiple new sponsorship deals and record breaking merchandise sales this season. We also have guaranteed group stage football for the first time next season so can budget that in accordingly. If we do have healthy player sales over the summer then I'd expect the majority of that to go back into the 1st team squad tbh.
Fair enough Mr Park

This bellend had to correct a tweet after it was pointed out to him that we can still qualify for the champions League utter . Another tosser that seems obsessed with our finances .

I could be making this up but didn't we make more from this Europa league run than reaching CL group stages. We brought in £9m for Patterson. We got £3m+ for Gerrard and his staff.

We need to freshen things up with players who will improve the first 11 not squad fillers.

We will need to replace McGregor, Goldson and potentially a few more so yeah our budget will need to be decent
The young guys have shown they can come in and fill the squad for games against the spfl teams. We need a spine of quality for the games against the tims and Europe

If we get into the champions league then I think we,ll spend.
The conundrum is that we will have to spend to get into the champions league.
We made the mistake of not investing ahead of the qualifiers this season and that is why we did not make the UCL group stage.
Without doubt we will be losing key players this summer, so we need to replace them quickly with quality.
I can see Aribo going for £15 to £18m, Kamara for £10m. Kent for £18 to £20 and Alfie for about the same.
We will need to replace them as well as Goldson, Balogun and possibly Roofe. Who will attract a fee.
It’s also possible Barasic will go for five or six mil.
My thinking was always that GVB and Dave voss would have lined up some real exciting young talent from the Netherlands to bring through at Rangers. I’m still very much hoping that is the case.

The worry for me is the undoubted turnover in the summer - retirements, players who have come to the end of their cycle of contribution, players where we get an offer too good to refuse. It will be an early start for CL qualifiers and any new signings will not have bedded in.

We wouldn’t have budgeted for 11m for Patterson, around 4m for Gerrard and the backroom staff and Robertson said this run has made us as much as qualifying for the CL would have. I’d imagine we will sell a couple of players too, we don’t have the SD hanging over us anymore and we are guaranteed EL football next season regardless so that should be another 20m we can budget for coming in.

We have been skint in the past and we struggled to finance Gerrard but the next couple of financial reports IMO will see by far our biggest income in a long time and a decent net profit made for the first time in a long time as well. If there is any time to back the manager it’s now.
There must have been close to a 100,000 new Rangers FC shirts out there in Seville. How much alone does that rake in, never mind the ones who didn't go to Seville? Most folk will probably buy the third team shirt now too. Rangers FC has grown substantially as a brand this year, and marketing will be making the most of it.

we were told 5 years ago by all and sundry that we would need to spend 100m on players just to compete which we proved was utter bollocks

we are also a lot healthier financially than we were back then, we will be fine and our euro success will make us an attractive destination for players
Great post.

The conundrum is that we will have to spend to get into the champions league.
We made the mistake of not investing ahead of the qualifiers this season and that is why we did not make the UCL group stage.
Without doubt we will be losing key players this summer, so we need to replace them quickly with quality.
I can see Aribo going for £15 to £18m, Kamara for £10m. Kent for £18 to £20 and Alfie for about the same.
We will need to replace them as well as Goldson, Balogun and possibly Roofe. Who will attract a fee.
It’s also possible Barasic will go for five or six mil.
My thinking was always that GVB and Dave voss would have lined up some real exciting young talent from the Netherlands to bring through at Rangers. I’m still very much hoping that is the case.
Thing is mate we should have been able to beat malmo with the team we had.

It should be quite simple really. The monies that we have made from our exceptional run should be set aside for salaries and general running of the club.

Our transfer budget right now should be 0 but 100% of all outgoings this summer should go straight to Gio.

He's earned it for going above and beyond and reaching the EL Final. If he can't get those sort of reassurances serious questions need to be asked where the money is going.

Serious questions need asked at the AGM if we don’t invest in the playing squad this season

Robertson was in the media talking about how much we’d made getting to the final and how we weren’t fat off CL money. That coupled with the Patterson money we didn’t spend, there should be an uproar if we don’t invest

Being lowry through at a cost of £0

Replacement for goldson £3mill at least

Another striker Striker £2-3mill

Right winger £3-4 mill

Thats the minimum requirements

Account for maybe kama kent and morelos away all they players need replaced. Massive rebuild is gonna happen

They won’t pull away. We will sell 2 players for 10+million I think aribo/kamara/Kent n buy in some quality to freshen things up.

We need to invest as the rebuild is significant.

If Kent, Aribo and Morelos don’t sign new deals we actively at least need to try and sell as part of that investment.

Another summer of frees and loans won’t cut it.

Ramsey didn't work out but it did show us the board are willing to go out and try to bring quality to Rangers. If we have a £20-30 mill budget and they back the manager BEFORE the CL play-offs we can get some real quality in to push us ahead and get in the group stages and take the league back next year.

They'll %^*& off back to the Japanese market and spunk a few quid on some lightweight overrated diving cheating wank who'll blow out his arse come Xmas again.

I think we'll spend big, but it'll be as a result of a lot of sales, Kamara, Kent, Aribo, plus others will be sold as I think Gio will get to build his own team.

We also run at a loss and have done for a decade. That money doesn’t just disappear.

It’s been a good run, it returned more revenue than expected, but we won’t spunk £10m+ in the summer.
If that's the case u can just write the season off now.

There must have been close to a 100,000 new Rangers FC shirts out there in Seville. How much alone does that rake in, never mind the ones who didn't go to Seville? Most folk will probably buy the third team shirt now too. Rangers FC has grown substantially as a brand this year, and marketing will be making the most of it.
I always wonder the same but it never seems to make any difference. We spent nothing in January despite getting a great price for Patterson and significant compensation for Gerrard’s back room team.

In which case it’ll be Europa again and the board will be culpable. This summer we absolutely need to speculate to accumulate and spend some of the Europa run/Paterson money
Correct, we at least know Europa group stage is our minimum at the outset and the manager deserves the chance to build his own team this summer. I’m not holding my breath though, something seems off to me around the financial side of things.

To be pulling away they would first have to be at our level. Europe has shown they are not even close! Of course they will get their share of unfair decisions from dodgy refs, teams that don’t turn up against them and we’ll suffer from some of the cheats and hammerthrowers in the league. But the league does not reflect where we are in relation to them. In the last 3 years they’ve had one league title won on a random Wednesday when everyone was talking about our Europa league final, and another one given to them by an email! I wouldn’t switch positions with them for anything! I’d take the buzz of last night even including the heartbreak over their hollow league win last week in a heartbeat.

Correct, we at least know Europa group stage is our minimum at the outset and the manager deserves the chance to build his own team this summer. I’m not holding my breath though, something seems off to me around the financial side of things.
I’m not really sure how they can justify not giving money to spend this summer, particularly after the season we’ve had and the fact we didn’t pay any player fees last summer

We’ve brought in big money for Paterson, European run to the final which included 3 home games there’s no way the club accounted for them.

The board deserve every single bit of criticism they get if we don’t have money to strengthen. By that I mean if players of quality become available, we absolutely shouldn’t be paying millions for squad fillers like Itten or injury prone like Helander/Roofe

We’re losing an ever present CB on a free that needs replaced as Souttar is not good enough to be replacing him. Huge summer for the club, as said the AGM will be carnage if they don’t strengthen

I’m not really sure how they can justify not giving money to spend this summer, particularly after the season we’ve had and the fact we didn’t pay any player fees last summer

We’ve brought in big money for Paterson, European run to the final which included 3 home games there’s no way the club accounted for them.

The board deserve every single bit of criticism they get if we don’t have money to strengthen. By that I mean if players of quality become available, we absolutely shouldn’t be paying millions for squad fillers like Itten or injury prone like Helander/Roofe

We’re losing an ever present CB on a free that needs replaced as Souttar is not good enough to be replacing him. Huge summer for the club, as said the AGM will be carnage if they don’t strengthen
The problem is just spending to strengthen isn’t a guarantee of success. Our signing of Lundstrum is probably the best we have made in years, along with Arfield, Davis and McGreggor. All free transfers. When we’ve spent big (Grezda, Itten, Peña etc) generally they have failed. The bigger leagues are paying silly money at the moment for even mediocre players. Our challenge is to shop for the bargain basement uncut gems or free transfers and turn them into multi million pound stars. I’m often very critical with the number of free players we sign (Wright, Stewart, Barker) but for everyone of them we’ve had a Kamara, Aribo or Bassey. My main wish is we would stop shopping in Scotland for players, as the free transfers from here are nowhere near good enough and the best Scottish youths are already at our club.

If that's the case u can just write the season off now.

We’ve built excellent teams in the past from £10m plus Bosmans.

The title winning team won’t have cost much more than £10m in its entirety and we’re not building from scratch.

We’ve built excellent teams in the past from £10m plus Bosmans.

The title winning team won’t have cost much more than £10m in its entirety and we’re not building from scratch.
Lots of players will be leaving. If we only spend £10m rebuilding the squad it'll only end one way.

Hopefully a lesson learned from this season we must spend in the summer if we want CL football as we will lose a few players

Agreed but we actually need to spend a lot. This board will never harm the club but equally either won’t or can’t invest to the level a club with 50000 home gates need and should expect.

Being lowry through at a cost of £0

Replacement for goldson £3mill at least

Another striker Striker £2-3mill

Right winger £3-4 mill

Thats the minimum requirements

Account for maybe kama kent and morelos away all they players need replaced. Massive rebuild is gonna happen
Solbakken there for less than that

Agreed but we actually need to spend a lot. This board will never harm the club but equally either won’t or can’t invest to the level a club with 50000 home gates need and should expect.

I think this board have taken us as far as they can.

They don’t have the capital or means to raise enough to shift the needle.

They were a rescue and a bridging team.

Last edited:
The Patterson money, the extended euro run (tickets & prize money) & the sale of 1-2 regulars. That adds up to what should be a decent budget.

It’s also not necessarily how much we have but how we use it.

We definitely need;

1 GK
2 CB
1 CM
1 RW
1 ST

Every one of them must be good enough to play regularly, none of this squad player pïsh. I’m assuming Barisic leaves then either Kamara/Aribo too. I think Kent could extend & obviously Goldson is off to EPL or championship obscurity.

They’re going to spend the best part of £15 million on two players who are already at them.

We need the board to back GVB or it’s another poor domestic season.
Jota won't sign for them, they might get the central defender and a couple of the Japanese guys but no one wants to sign for that bastardised club.

I'd take a guess that our budget will be £5m - £10m
Plus maybe 25% - 50% of any player sales.

I still think we will continue to be big players in the free /loan market

I think this bird have taken us as far as they can.

They don’t have the capital or means to raise enough to shift the needle.

They were a rescue and a bridging team.
You mirror my thoughts exactly regime change is required but that’s easier said than done.

We need to get most of our planned signings made before the Champions League qualifiers. Celtic have made that mistake for years and it's always bitten them on the diseased unwiped arse.

It's easier said than done I know, but we can't afford to piss around this summer.

Why won’t they get Jota? Thought it was done not that I care.
In the same way that they couldn't get their 1st choice manager, no one wants to be a part of that bastardised team. The Scottish media will just have to continue polishing shite like Ralston and the Japanese players who don't know their baggage's.

We won’t.

We’re not financially in a position to do so.

I’m not sure people realise how skint we are/were.

The run helps, but it will have been budgeted through to the group stages.

He’ll get less than £10m to spend, imo. We also need to sell some talent this summer.
Don’t forget the young talent coming through: Lowry,king etc, we need to give them a chance to become regular performers in the first team.

£10m minimum from board.

we will sell players so that should be used to help Wilson and GVB improve squad.

To be pulling away they would first have to be at our level. Europe has shown they are not even close! Of course they will get their share of unfair decisions from dodgy refs, teams that don’t turn up against them and we’ll suffer from some of the cheats and hammerthrowers in the league. But the league does not reflect where we are in relation to them. In the last 3 years they’ve had one league title won on a random Wednesday when everyone was talking about our Europa league final, and another one given to them by an email! I wouldn’t switch positions with them for anything! I’d take the buzz of last night even including the heartbreak over their hollow league win last week in a heartbeat.
Well said.

We will spend £10m+ imho. We need to. But it will be funded by player sales, which is how it should be going forward.

Lowry and King will mean we don't need to spend massive amounts.
Bassey has been like a big money signing for us. We need to keep him, and get him a long contract.
We need to sell well, and re-invest about 50% of those fees on quality in the right positions, replacing those who leave and adding to the attack.

Those two alone will be huge next season. King has shown he can play in various positions and that will be very valuable for us tactically, like Bassey and Lundstram. Lowry has the x factor and should replace Ramsey in the squad.

We need to spend £25-30M this summer, £20M at the absolute minimum.
Where does this money come from?

For me this Europa run should have earned us £10M that we can spend on transfer fees.
The rest banked for wages, projects and running costs for next season.

So here comes the player trading model, and I think most can agree that a fairly severe shake up of the squad is required.
I think we could bring in £15-20M from:
Borna £2M
Hellander £1.5M
Kamara £7-9M
Aribo £7-10M
Roofe £1.5-3M

By all means utilise the bosman market and loans to buy, but if we haven’t spent £4-6M on 4/5 players this summer then I’ll be worried.

The league is the measuring stick whether we like it or not because league position dictates whether we access Champions League money. We can argue that Europe shows the true level of either club but ultimately what matters is who does better over the 38 game season.

Back