Our budget for next season

It's true that they'll need to spend £12m just to stand still by keeping Carter-Vickers and Jota.

What worries me is that for us McGregor, Goldson, Balogun, Davis, Ramsey & Diallo will need replaced just to stand still. That's likely to cost at least £5-10 million imo.

Then we'll need to spend a fair bit more to actually improve.

Effective recruitment this summer is going to be so so so so so important.

We need to spend £25-30M this summer, £20M at the absolute minimum.
Where does this money come from?

For me this Europa run should have earned us £10M that we can spend on transfer fees.
The rest banked for wages, projects and running costs for next season.

So here comes the player trading model, and I think most can agree that a fairly severe shake up of the squad is required.
I think we could bring in £15-20M from:
Borna £2M
Hellander £1.5M
Kamara £7-9M
Aribo £7-10M
Roofe £1.5-3M

By all means utilise the bosman market and loans to buy, but if we haven’t spent £4-6M on 4/5 players this summer then I’ll be worried.
No one is buying Roofe or Helander with their injury problems. I wouldn’t let Borna go for £2m and is like to think Kamara and Aribo will go for more. So I agree with your £15ish million.

Be interesting to see what Gio can do with his own players, hope he goes for players with good technique & athletic types

No one is buying Roofe or Helander with their injury problems. I wouldn’t let Borna go for £2m and is like to think Kamara and Aribo will go for more. So I agree with your £15ish million.
I think although £2M for Borna is a low fee, I’m not sure we would get much more.

I would have happy enough if he stayed as long as he was number 2 LB.
In many ways it’s fresh players we need for the sake of having fresh players, rather than replacing bad players we already have.

The rebuild is obviously dependent on key players signing new deals if they all sign new deals except Goldson because I reckon we'd have heard something by now I think we only need maybe 5 new players
I think with a £10m-£15m budget that would allow us to bring decent quality in with 1/2 shrewd free agent signings along the way obviously if key players are sold we will need more players but we would also have more money to replace them

Money isnt the be all and end all either way. Tav, Lundstram Bassey and Morelos cost under £2Mn total and you couldake the case that they are our most important players.

I just want the recruitment to be right. We likely need it to be, given the likely high level of squad turnover this summer

Time for the board to shit or get off the pot. They gambled and failed us badly by failing to address areas that required strengthening.

Always think teams do better when they retain a core of players in their team and just add a couple of extras here and there.
This is a squad that defied the odds to get to a euro final and bar a combination of unfortunate events should’ve won the league.
The new signings we need largely depend on who we lose. So, if Shagger does retire, we need a new back up keeper.
In midfield we’ll, at the least, lose Ramsey and Davis. Lowry coming in and continuing with the talent we’ve seen so far is a huge bonus in that area tho.
Central defence is a huge concern as it now seems certain Goldson is away. Much as he had some performances that were lacking the guy was never injured. Whereas our remaining centre backs, excluding Bassey and King, are all injury prone as is John Souttar. So, in reality we probably a new quality centre back.
Up front we need back up for Alfie and Roofe. Roofe is injury prone so, without a back up if Alfie gets injured / suspended, or we sell him, we’re in trouble. Itten hasn’t delivered and I reckon we may just release him. Obviously if we were to sell the likes of Kent or Aribo we would need to buy replacements there, and the same if we sell any other players.

Need to spend money for a change - can’t be relying on frees and loans to construct a rebuild

Look at the filth they spent 25m or so.

If we even spend half of that I’ll be happy.

Need to spend money for a change - can’t be relying on frees and loans to construct a rebuild

Look at the filth they spent 25m or so.

If we even spend half of that I’ll be happy.
They made it first. We need to sell well before spending well.

If we get into the champions league then I think we,ll spend.
Always the problem. Can’t wait to see if we get in. Season is already up and running before QFR3 so we need to spend at least knowing the Europa League Group Stage Budget.

They made it first. We need to sell well before spending well.

Yeah but my worry is we don't

The Patterson and Gerrard money last season may have just been kept to balance the books - I’m hoping that if we have a player sale we need to reinvest in the squad.

Relying on a crocked John Souttar and Kemar Roofe next season is giving me the fear. Plus I feel Morelos will unfortunately be sold

I don't have any inside info or club contacts but I'm positive we'll have a budget and spend in the summer before selling. 10-12 million or thereabouts.

It's true that they'll need to spend £12m just to stand still by keeping Carter-Vickers and Jota.

What worries me is that for us McGregor, Goldson, Balogun, Davis, Ramsey & Diallo will need replaced just to stand still. That's likely to cost at least £5-10 million imo.

McGregor needs replaced
Goldson needs replaced
Balogun is being replaced with Souttar & King
Davis may need replaced but he’s not been a key player in Gio’s side so with Sands playing more often & McCann coming through then he might already be replaced
Lowry/Hagi replace Ramsey
Diallo could return on-loan, hopefully add Solbakken & we’ve solved our RW issue without spending too much.

Overall, that could be us just needing to replace 2 (maybe 1 if Goldson signs a new deal) players. I’d also add that we need another striker too but hopefully we can also start selling players as well.

The idea that we need to sell before we buy after this European run is hilarious. Before any player sales we should be able to go spend 10/15 million. We want to compete for the league next season then that’s the kind of financial backing that’s needed. If the board can’t do that then serious questions need asked about were the money is going. After we sell someone like aribo for say £10 million, we can pocket most of that and give Gio £3 million from that to bring in another player.

Depending on where we qualify in Europe Gio should also be given further money on top of the that. Qualify for the champions league for example, a further 5 million should be given to him.

Don’t forget the young talent coming through: Lowry,king etc, we need to give them a chance to become regular performers in the first team.
I think these are the players who next season need to be playing in the SPL games regularly after Euro nights or in 3 games in a week periods. Lots of opportunities to get good game time into them and let them develop.

They’re going to spend the best part of £15 million on two players who are already at them.

We need the board to back GVB or it’s another poor domestic season.
Another 2 or 3 million for the baldy Japanese guy. That's 18 million before buying any players and no sales to bankroll spending.

We already have 2 replacements King and Lowry from the academy and maybe another couple.

I think this board have taken us as far as they can.

They don’t have the capital or means to raise enough to shift the needle.

They were a rescue and a bridging team.
Financially, I agree but we don’t want to end up like we did before going too far the other way so we’re at a bit of an impasse.

If Gio only gets £10m to spend then I think he can kiss the league and CL football goodbye already.

He needs at least double that and a bit more or some really shrewd dealings on Bosmans. I think we need to go for broke and gamble to get CL money, we didn't last year and look what happened. We gamble get in the CL, hopefully finish 2nd in our group or at a minimum 3rd getting us more European football after Christmas. Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate and I think this time we will have to.

I see Morelos, Kent and Aribo being gone in the summer as well. I think we will have to fend off offers for Bassey as well.

I think we will save a bit of money with Lowry because I really think he is going to be a sensation.

That mob had 9 years of winning the league and a shot at Champions League money and blew it every time, they should be miles ahead of us but aren't...

What makes this year any different that they will pull ahead? That manager got incredibly lucky with his signings that every one hit the ground running, can't see that happening twice.

They'll be spending close to £15mil on remaining stationary with Jota and Vickers (If they sign)

I don't think we'll lose ALL our top players but maybe 2 or 3 at most, a few free's (Soutter and Simmons - I can dream) then Gilmour potentially plus £10mil spend minus player sales will see us in a decent position to strengthen.

Get our business done ASAP and an early pre-season to be in the best place possible for the Champions League qualifiers and we should be more prepared than last season.

Its really gutting to have missed out on the Champions League riches for a second time in one season. At the beginning of the season all we had to do was beat Malmo and Ludogorets, as easy a route as we could have hoped for. This time it was Frankfurt and we only missed out on penalties. We have a third bite at the cherry next season and it would make a big difference to any transfer spending if we could get it this time.

That mob had 9 years of winning the league and a shot at Champions League money and blew it every time
They didn't blow it every time. They made the Champions League groups four times while we were down. I'm not sure some realise how great a feat 55 was, Celtic had vast riches and largely squandered it.

They didn't blow it every time. They made the Champions League groups four times while we were down. I'm not sure some realise how great a feat 55 was, Celtic had vast riches and largely squandered it.

Im talking about the money not getting into the CL…The money they generated should have seen them out of sight but it didnt happen.

Back