Our grestest central midfielder?

Gascoigne was already world class when he was with Spurs. Proved it big-time in Italy ’90.
Slim Jim, according to ma auld man, was a genius but not the only world class player on the list.
Not disagreeing just my opinion that Baxter was the man.

If we are assessing players as Rangers players only then imo Baxter is ahead of any other player, but as has been said he wasn't a centre midfielder, so taking that into account and games played it has to be John Greig. Souness was a far better player overall during his career but as the thread is about Rangers best central midfielder then Greig imo.

Barry Ferguson, good Hamilton boy.

Gio was a touch of class too. And souness, durrant, Albertz & Gazza but for sheer consistency of excellence for our club Barry is king.

Further honourable mentions to Trevor Steven and, shows us your medals, Iain Ferguson

Gazza is the best I’ve seen.

My grandpa maintained that Baxter was the best Scottish footballer of all time though, so I’ll go with Baxter.
I’ve met Celtic fans who think Baxter was the best we’ve produced. I’m too young but my old man maintained that Baxter should have been one of the game’s true legends, along with Puskas, Best, Di Stefano, etc. Was good enough but he didn’t do it for long enough and didn’t get a European Cup to raise his profile outside the UK.

Who takes the number one spot?

Baxter
Souness
Gazza
Durrant
B. Ferguson

Any others that come close who aren't on that list?

At the age of 30 unfortunately I never got to see Baxter or Souness and was maybe a bit too young to fully appreciate Gazza and Durrant. Barry was the main man for me growing up.
I’m 28 mate so have to agree way Ferguson, it annoys the %^*& out of me when I read on social media folk I went to school way who try claim 9IAR players as this and that when they don’t go to the games now never mind then yet claim they are the best cos they think it makes them look rangers daft lets be honest most folk up until about 10 are more interested in the occasion of football than actual football

For me it’s Gazza. (37 so too young to remember Souness for us)

Gazza was world class and I couldn’t believe we were signing him. He was unplayable at times and we definitely got the best out of him.

Souness was another world class midfielder but he was at the end of his career when we got him.

Baxter too young to have seen him but obviously he was an amazing player for us.

Durrant I believe that if it wasn’t for that sheep shagger he would have been number 1 on this list by a long way. Even after he came back from that injury he was still a great player but not the same as before it.

Ferguson absolutely amazing player. Some of his performances against the best players in Europe were outstanding. Gave me some of my best memories as a Rangers supporter.

My old mate George in his 70's says Jim Baxter is the only answer ,and he's seen them all.
Who am I to argue?
Another gent I used to work with from 1990-2000 Said Baxter too, he'll be in his eighties now.
Who am I to argue?
So I'll go along with the older gents.

You saying he gave everything? Everything to get sent off, his head was mince after the tabloids had ran with the story of him beating his partner days earlier.

Let's not rewrite history here.
No, it’s your prerogative to disagree with me. Life would be boring if we all seen it the same way.

Could make a case for any of the names you mentioned but for me it's Gazza. Was an absolute privelege to see him perform in the flesh. The majority of top footballers have to work relentlessly hard to get there but for Gazza it came naturally.

Barry Ferguson, good Hamilton boy.

Gio was a touch of class too. And souness, durrant, Albertz & Gazza but for sheer consistency of excellence for our club Barry is king.

Further honourable mentions to Trevor Steven and, shows us your medals, Iain Ferguson
Feguson and Souness are from
No, it’s your prerogative to disagree with me. Life would be boring if we all seen it the same way.

I wouldn't expect many to challenge the point I made.

Back