Our midfield, not strong enough and certainly not creative enough, away from home.

Don't think we've had the chance to see how good our midfield can be yet. At various times we've been without Coullibaly, Jack, Arfield and not forgetting the long term problems with Dorrans and Rossiter. Ejaria is not yet ready to be THE playmaker on a weekly basis but thankfully he's been fit to play almost every week and has been needed given the manager's lack of options at times. I would prefer to see our midfielders get fit and allow Gerrard the luxury of changing the personnel for tactical reasons rather than out of necessity, before we think about signing even more midfielders.

Fair point WOW but I just feel if we do that we will fall short on winning the league this year.
Good use of Bosmans and good value markets may allow us to make the step up at a relatively small cost.

If the money's there(and it should be with increased revenue in merchandise and Europe even before a share issue)then I'd love to see that type of player in January.
If not Davis on a six month loan deal would make perfect sense,especially when you consider Murphy and Dorrans seem unlikely to kick a ball again this season as things stand right now.

Also,I fear those two won't be the last of our long-term injury woes this season with a quarter of the teams in the league with horriffic plastic pitches.

I’ve not seen Steven this season Cav. We know he’s a real quality player but I always felt in his first stint with the club he struggled with stamina when he played two games a week, so six years on I’m concerned if he ‘has the legs’.
Teams are really going to make it a physical battle away from Ibrox as Livi & Well did to us, hence my worry about Davis nowadays.

Reactions: cav
Any money we get from Europa etc etc I would like to see us invest it in 2 or maybe be 3 decent players. Even if we only have the 10 million from the Europa cup I would like 2 players at 5 million with quality not quantity the goal.

A good central creative midfielder would be great along with a decent box to box, I feel we struggle at times as nobody in the middle has the required creative ability to make something happen.

Refs are not helping as our team are booted all over the shop regularly like today and Dallas took to booking more of our guys.

Obviously not the only reason.

Aberdeen we played great, ref fucked us over.

Motherwell first half was decent.

Livvy and paedo park were pish but zluvvy the park was shite and they were physical as were Motherwell and we need to get used to that and stand up to it and find solutions.

A hardy bastard may help but a really creative sort might too.

Agree PP. I think we need both.

More the later, the creativity was horrendous today. I dont think playing Rossiter & Coulibaly will ever work because the way they both play. Rossiter done ok but McCrorie should have started for me. We clearly missed Arfield and its a shame Dorrans seems as though he will spend more time on the treatment table than the football park.

Agree Twin. Arfield is the only one who really links. We miss him when he’s out & he does seem to be struggling with injuries too. We need at least one other to provide a creative spark, and who can shoot.

Our midfielders are very good at playing a high intensity pressing game which I think is why we are doing well in Europe. When teams sit off us and put everyone behind the ball we lack creativity and someone that can really take control of the midfield.

I would like to see Davis brought in then in the summer I would like us to invest a few million on a bit of quality. Jury is still out with coulibaly IMHO,

Yet to see a fully fit Coulibaly, Jack and Arfield feature together.

That's what we've been wanting to see since pre season. It's October and we've still not seen it.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katić Barišić
Coulibaly Jack Arfield
Grezda Morelos Kent
We may get to see them all together, fully fit and on form, one day.

I’ve not seen Steven this season Cav. We know he’s a real quality player but I always felt in his first stint with the club he struggled with stamina when he played two games a week, so six years on I’m concerned if he ‘has the legs’.
Teams are really going to make it a physical battle away from Ibrox as Livi & Well did to us, hence my worry about Davis nowadays.
You have a genuine concern mate,and I don't doubt his legs aren't what they once were as he hasn't played too many games since an injury sustained in the second half of last season.
However,if we can't afford or obtain better in January(which is always a tough market to recruit in) I think he'd be a sensible short-term choice,although would require to be managed carefully due to older legs.

Options of McCrorie,Coulibaly,Rossiter,Jack and Halliday deeper with Arfield,Davis and Ejaria further forward as choices should give plenty of depth-

But older legs or not,Davis has that eye and vision most do not and that is what we are missing most imo mate.

You have a genuine concern mate,and I don't doubt his legs aren't what they once were as he hasn't played too many games since an injury sustained in the second half of last season.
However,if we can't afford or obtain better in January(which is always a tough market to recruit in) I think he'd be a sensible short-term choice,although would require to be managed carefully due to older legs.

Options of McCrorie,Coulibaly,Rossiter,Jack and Halliday deeper with Arfield,Davis and Ejaria further forward as choices should give plenty of depth-

But older legs or not,Davis has that eye and vision most do not and that is what we are missing most imo mate.

Would never argue that point with you. I always liked Steven Davis. A true pro, and a quality one at that.
But think of all of those guys above together & if you ask yourself how many shots we will get from 20-30yd shots ? When teams tuck in around the box like they did today for spells having a guy who can shoot well is a skill we really could do with. We should bear that in mind too.
And, not one of our midfielders has real searing pace too.
We need a range of skills to use as required for each match / occasion.

these creative box to box midfielders who like a tackle , I am afraid Modric is unavailable and Mrs Rakatic doesnt like our climate , so until we produce our own?
y

I'd like our midfield to be encouraged to shoot. It doesn't look like we have many who can, on a regular basis. I do agree, that we are short of a game changing midfielder.
Though, right now, I want us to be solid in there. Once Rossiter gets up to speed, he'll be like a new signing.

Last edited:
No Jack or Arfield today plus Coulibaly didn't get back from International duty till Friday so I hear add in the shock start for Rossiter and the dire pitch that might explain it.

We know what our midfield is capable of but we also need to start these type of games with more urgency and tempo.

We will improve and Gerrard will see this and sort it.

Would never argue that point with you. I always liked Steven Davis. A true pro, and a quality one at that.
But think of all of those guys above together & if you ask yourself how many shots we will get from 20-30yd shots ? When teams tuck in around the box like they did today for spells having a guy who can shoot well is a skill we really could do with. We should bear that in mind too.
And, not one of our midfielders has real searing pace too.
We need a range of skills to use as required for each match / occasion.
Very good point mate,a big part of the problem I have with players of the style of Zelalem previously and now Ejaria is their inability to create and score enough despite getting into some great positions a lot of the time.

Just my personal opinion,but I'd much prefer someone with less skill who is more productive in the final third as the more advanced of the three midfielders-I appreciate a lot won't agree with me on that,and also that productive further forward players are very hard and expensive to come by as well.

Getting players like the lad you mentioned before they grow out of our reach is the biggest challenge facing Mark Allen and the staff I'd suggest-not an easy task by any means.

Very good point mate,a big part of the problem I have with players of the style of Zelalem previously and now Ejaria is their inability to create and score enough despite getting into some great positions a lot of the time.

Just my personal opinion,but I'd much prefer someone with less skill who is more productive in the final third as the more advanced of the three midfielders-I appreciate a lot won't agree with me on that,and also that productive further forward players are very hard and expensive to come by as well.

Getting players like the lad you mentioned before they grow out of our reach is the biggest challenge facing Mark Allen and the staff I'd suggest-not an easy task by any means.

Great post Cav. Agree completely mate.

That's what we've been wanting to see since pre season. It's October and we've still not seen it.

McGregor
Coulibaly Jack Arfield
Grezda Morelos Kent

Agree that’s our best team CC.

I don't have a problem with our midfield personnel. But I do think we need to play at a higher tempo away from home, much as we do at Ibrox. Today we played at little more than walking pace for long spells of the game.

McGregor
Coulibaly Jack Arfield
Grezda Morelos Kent
That midfield gives us very little creativity CC. Rossiter for Coulibaly and we would look a lot better imo.:)

The team (or Gerrard?) seems to have the idea in its head that away game will be reall tough and we are very cautious.
The opposite is true at home, Rangers are confident to really go for it against anyone.

Once the confidence is there to approach the away game in the same manner of aggression & attacking that we have at home then this team will be a real force to be reckoned with.

Today again, being another example of us not being able to replicate our home form.

3 points were secured, but let's not get over complacent.

We were left wanting in so many ways and again major concerns where there for all to see.

We need strength indetpth, in there and the creative influences we seems to produce with ease at home. Get that and our away form will most certainly change the out come of this season.......

I would wait until we are back playing on grass pitches away from home before making a judgement on our midfield. The fact is that our outfield 10 have been dreadful at Livi and Accies and I believe the plastic pitches are solely to blame.

I have said it before but i just dont get why we signed Ejaria. He offers nothing for 99% of the game. The game just passes by him and when he has the ball he is far to slow.

We need a number 10 creative player.

I would wait until we are back playing on grass pitches away from home before making a judgement on our midfield. The fact is that our outfield 10 have been dreadful at Livi and Accies and I believe the plastic pitches are solely to blame.

What do you put the Motherwell & Tims performances down to BHB ?

I have said it before but i just dont get why we signed Ejaria. He offers nothing for 99% of the game. The game just passes by him and when he has the ball he is far to slow.

We need a number 10 creative player.

I don’t disagree with you we need a creative midfielder CG but Ejaria has two shots on target today, one producing a really good save, despite not playing well. He also scored v Ufa & Motherwell. I think you’re a bit harsh on a young developing kid mate.

I don’t disagree with you we need a creative midfielder CG but Ejaria has two shots on target today, one producing a really good save, despite not playing well. He also scored v Ufa & Motherwell. I think you’re a bit harsh on a young developing kid mate.
We need much better than developing kids now mate.

I was not in favour of Kent signing but he is miles better and more developed as a player than Ejaria.

We need much better than developing kids now mate.

I was not in favour of Kent signing but he is miles better and more developed as a player than Ejaria.

I don’t disagree with you. We won’t win the league by having a lot of kids we’re developing. I’m just making the point that the boys doing well given the circumstances he’s in.

I said before the window closed that I thought we needed a creative / attacking midfielder. Now I think we also need a powerful box to box guy too :D

I’m getting a bit greedy but I just feel there’s a genuine chance of a trophy, and we should use some of our EL bonus to make an attempt to go for it, especially given that 55 isn’t out of the question given the inconsistent way the scum are. ;)

I think we are missing a midfielder who will go beyond the forwards, Alfie drops deep and brings the centre half with him we need someone who will gamble, like Kent did for his goal
None of our midfield today would do that

I think we are missing a midfielder who will go beyond the forwards, Alfie drops deep and brings the centre half with him we need someone who will gamble, like Kent did for his goal
None of our midfield today would do that

Did you notice how deep hamilton were playing?

We need experience in midfield I think, and when Dorrans, Jack and Arfield are our we lose that - hence the kids playing today with only one other kid (McRorie) as an option to come on. But we do have those three named to come back so I wouldn’t push the panic button yet. Everyone hear seems to think Davis is the answer but I’m not sure. I’d like something between the kids and the ageing players. A decent 26 or 27 year old who brings much experience but will still give us a good number of years. Dare I say a Scott Brown

I don't have a problem with our midfield personnel. But I do think we need to play at a higher tempo away from home, much as we do at Ibrox. Today we played at little more than walking pace for long spells of the game.

I agree. First ten minutes away from home looks like a game of 'passy'. No attempt to get in to opposition's half. It gives them confidence and self belief.

Yest there was plenty opportunities for the midfield to drive into spaces and take us up the park. Too many times Rossiter opted for the simple sideway, backwards safety pass resulting in Goldstone etc punting it long. Against Hearts, we were pass move quickly and in their faces. Yest we were methodical and sluggish, might be a whole load of reasons for it, pitch, players just back, one eye on Europe, Kyle lafferty's pictures:)

For me the biggest problem is not formation or selection or shitey pitch or shitey opponents - it's 'us', it's our attitude. We don't start on the front foot, impose our game on the other team, we're too passive, too slow, too 'safe'.

Maybe if we could keep our players off the treatment table and playing consistently instead of having to chop and change on a weekly basis. Our luck with injuries is brutal it's been like that for years.

Latest posts

Back