Our next penalty kick

Was it fk agreed in advance. Obviously he's going to say that. He shat it.
It's not obvious he is going to say that at all. See when you are calling Gerrard a liar to suit your agenda, you need to take a step back. The majority of this forum wanted him off penalties after the Motherwell game, some are just so desperate to out the boot into our own players they can't see the wood for the trees.

If Borna can find the top corner with a 25 yard free kick, he can score from 12 yards.
You would think, but always amazes me how often someone who can reguarly clip the underside of the bar from 25 yards can make a twat of it from 12. There is a post further up the thread with numbers showing Borna has missed 2 out of the 6 he has taken.

I know there’s a difference between match pressure and training but surely they practice this stuff. They must have some idea who is the best bet.

I know there’s a difference between match pressure and training but surely they practice this stuff. They must have some idea who is the best bet.
I think you can be assured the 1st and 2nd choice will be practicing before Thursday's game.

Not a fan of Tav, but if he missed that pen it would have been monumentally disastrous for him. Give him the next pen.

I really don't think it's a bad thing to change the designated penalty taker if Tav doesn't have full confidence in himself right now. Borna's left foot is a weapon from free kicks/crosses/corners - I'm sure giving him a chance is a good idea.

Also a fan of strikers taking penalties - all the great strikers in the world right now are lethal from the penalty spot - Messi, Lewandowski, Aguero etc.

Alfie, Tav, Borna, Jack, Kent.

We should have a pool of PK takers.

It’s Alfie for me, Forster had to cheat - aided and abetted by 2 match officials - to save that pen on Sunday afternoon

Tav 100%. It's the bloody media and a section of our support that have dented his confidence. He would never of handed over the penalty to Alfredo otherwise. Players miss penalties it happens, we need to get behind Tav on this. I thought he had a great game on Sunday, and he was visibly upset in his post match interview. I'm hoping he will kick on from Sunday.

It should be Tav & should have always been Tav, unless he has asked to come off of them. Other than that it should be whoever wants to take them, has the right attributes & has shown they can in training.

I personally wouldn't have Morelos near them. As soon as Tav handed him the ball on Sunday I was dreading it. Very rarely are his goals a composed finish & I don't see him as a striker that would take pens. Maybe I am wrong or maybe he'll grow into one, but he's at his best being instinctive & not having to think.

I really don't think it's a bad thing to change the designated penalty taker if Tav doesn't have full confidence in himself right now. Borna's left foot is a weapon from free kicks/crosses/corners - I'm sure giving him a chance is a good idea.

Also a fan of strikers taking penalties - all the great strikers in the world right now are lethal from the penalty spot - Messi, Lewandowski, Aguero etc.

Messi has taken and scored, a lot of penalties. He's missed 26.

Aguero has scored 46. Hes missed 12.

Lewandowski has scored 48. He's missed 5.

Borna, who seems to be flavour of the month because he can hit it from 25 yards, has taken just 6 penalties. He's missed 2 of them (Alfie has missed 2 out of 5).

Last edited:
Good shout !
Jack seems to most accurate placer - doesn't have to be lashed but if it is, lash it hard! Big George Young did that seemingly - so hard the goalie couldn't keep it out. On the other hand, Caldow and Baxter placed it.

Messi has taken and scored, a lot of penalties. He's missed 26.

Aguero has scored 46. Hes missed 12.

Lewandowski has scored 48. He's missed 5.

Borna, who seems to be flavour of the month because he can hit it from 25 yards, has taken just 6 penalties. He's missed 2 of them (Alfie has missed 2 out of 5).
Alright mate take a day off, was just a suggestion.

I'm fine with Morelos taking the next one. Taverniers conversion rate hasn't been good enough recently, it's time for a change. Give Morelos a run on them and lets see what his conversion rate is.

Alright mate take a day off, was just a suggestion.

Wasn't intended as a 'dig' at you mate, more the endless stream of folks nominating a player they like as a potential penalty King. Lots of support for Borna because of his fee-kicks. It's not the same thing, as his record proves. I've seen Jack and Kent touted. Neither has taken a senior penalty in their chuff. There's probably a reason for that (maybe they don't fancy it?). Who's to say they'd be any better than, for example, Goldson? Or Aribo? Nah, those guys aren't 'popular' enough so don't get quoted.

Our best penalty taker is Tav. Followed by Defoe. After that we have a raft of players who all seem to miss about 1 in 3. Could go to any one of them - but its far from risk free.

Barisic maybe? So many posters are rewriting history regarding Tav, there was a massive clamour on here for him to give up penalties after the Motherwell miss.

I can't believe that so many want Tav on penalties. I don't remember one person saying he should hit another after his last miss.

I would probably go for Barisic. Can't really think of anyone else. Defoe if he's on the pitch.

Whoever has the balls to take them, personally I reckon Borna would be a good kick taker.

Just tell Tav to hit it to the right hand side, high or low. He hit them so well there for ages that even if the keeper went the right way I wouldn't bet on them keeping it out.

Wasn't intended as a 'dig' at you mate, more the endless stream of folks nominating a player they like as a potential penalty King. Lots of support for Borna because of his fee-kicks. It's not the same thing, as his record proves. I've seen Jack and Kent touted. Neither has taken a senior penalty in their chuff. There's probably a reason for that (maybe they don't fancy it?). Who's to say they'd be any better than, for example, Goldson? Or Aribo? Nah, those guys aren't 'popular' enough so don't get quoted.

Our best penalty taker is Tav. Followed by Defoe. After that we have a raft of players who all seem to miss about 1 in 3. Could go to any one of them - but its far from risk free.

What's that based on? Defoe has missed 9 penalties of the 29 he's hit, that's a shocking conversion rate. And who are these players who seem to miss 1 in 3? How many of our players have hit one penalty never mind 3?

Should be Tav and then he can get that monkey off his back and that's what The Gaffer should tell him, he would have scored the one against the poets and rammed it down their fucking rancid throats.

Goldson? To be fair why would anyone nominate a centre half who can’t angle a pass properly or head the ball towards 9 times out of ten, let alone shoot? He’s also one of the most popular players in the squad as evidenced by that thread titled “Connor Goldson” where someone’s criticised his recent form only to be shot down and told it’s all dandy.

And I said to someone previously, Defoe’s penalty isn’t good, in fact it’s not good at all.

What's that based on? Defoe has missed 9 penalties of the 29 he's hit, that's a shocking conversion rate. And who are these players who seem to miss 1 in 3? How many of our players have hit one penalty never mind 3?

See post #58 I'm not going to type it all out again mate.

EDIT: Actually I will save you the bother

Some statistical perspective:

Tav has missed 6 out of 26 penalties.

Defoe has missed 9 out of 29.

Arfield has missed 2 out of 8.

Barisic has missed 2 out of 6.

Davis has missed 2 out of 6.

Morelos has missed 2 out of 5 (after yesterday).

Jack, Kent, Kamara and Aribo have never taken a senior penalty.

The above seems to suggest Tav is our best option, despite recent misses, with Arfield and Defoe the best back-ups. Surprising that whilst I've seen Barisic touted a lot, and Ryan Jack, there have been no mentions of Arfield.

Last edited:
Goldson? To be fair why would anyone nominate a centre half who can’t angle a pass properly or head the ball towards 9 times out of ten, let alone shoot? He’s also one of the most popular players in the squad as evidenced by that thread titled “Connor Goldson” where someone’s criticised his recent form only to be shot down and told it’s all dandy.

And I said to someone previously, Defoe’s penalty isn’t good, in fact it’s not good at all.

He misses almost 1 in 3. By the standards of the other players at Ibrox that's pretty good I'm afraid. Albeit some have only taken half a dozen compared to Defoe's 38. Tav misses around 1 in 4, but has had a bad spell this season.

Fact is many of the 'top' names are missing 1 in 5.

Last edited:
He misses almost 1 in 4. By the standards of the other players at Ibrox that's pretty good I'm afraid. Albeit some have only taken half a dozen compared to Defoe's 38.

Fact is many of the 'top' names are missing 1 in 5.

Oh I agree that it’s not exactly straightforward. I think someone like Jack would be a good shot, he’s shown this season he’s got a good dig on him, and what’s more important is he’s a leader on the park and fearless too. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him step forward at some point.

Alfie should take it or borna , I’ve never thought alfie would be the best penalty taker , basically because of technique and body shape , however I want my number 9s hitting pens so no issues with him stepping up again . Or borna because of his exceptional technique

I’m not sure tbh. I think tav has missed too many in a short time and had to come off them but I don’t think Morelos has the cleanest strike from a dead ball and I remember thinking that after the penalty he scored earlier in the season. Barisic might be a shout though, did he take them fro Osijek?

Morelos will take the next one as there is no way Gerrard will remove him for one miss,what would that do to his confidence?

Back