Our ongoing pitch issues

Stockport bear

I don't think it was any coincidence that we lost form last year as our pitch became a swamp. The pitch already is looking like it might go the same way.

Was genuinely surprised to hear that we trained on it yesterday. You can already see parts of our game slowing down as a result. Goldson almost lost the ball in a dangerous position due to a bobble. It needs to be addressed urgently.

A part of me says “we play in Scotland & it’s a winter” another part says “it shouldn’t be as bad as it is”.

I don’t know to be honest, it certainly negates our playing style quite a bit but it’s still not as bad as was against Hibs in February.

Was it as bad as this under Warburton etc in winter I genuinely can’t remember but I don’t think it was?.

Thought we were meant to be getting a hybrid pitch which should help with some of these kind of issues?

Surely when we have the artificial lighting system, we shouldn't have a problem with the grass!

Im sure we are addressing it in the summer with a "state of the art" hybrid pitch.

Its not great, but if we are honest the weather has been abysmal. Monsoon rain every other day.

the lamps were rolled out as soon as Collum blew the whistle

its in a terrible state and with under a week will be no different against the scum.

Agreed. Not sure what the problem is? A quick look around Europe and the vast majority of top team pitches look far better than ours. I thought this was supposed to have been sorted through the summer months?

I never remember it being this consistently bad, even after an overhaul in the summer. It’s a bit far fetched to blame the pitch for our performance considering some of the bombscares we play on in this league but it doesn’t detract from the fact the pitch is in poor condition.

You have seen it clearly getting a little bit worse for weeks now. Definitely at our best on a good surface and it really looks like it is only going to get worse in the weeks ahead.

Everytime this comes up, I post the same stuff. Check my post history and you'll all see why the pitch goes the way it currently is.

It won't get better until it's addressed.
Assume your a groundsman?. Genuine question not sarcastic.

I thought it was meant to be part synthetic to avoid this sort of problem or has it not been upgraded to this yet?

Everytime this comes up, I post the same stuff. Check my post history and you'll all see why the pitch goes the way it currently is.

Any chance of a quick refresher please?

I can't imagine our coaching staff are happy about the surface having issues.

I posted the original pitch thread a few weeks back.
It wasn't QUITE as bad as I thought it might be today, but it's still not great.
However as others have said Parkhead is just as bad, if not worse.
Hopefully they can resolve the issues.
Hire @HumpZ, that's what I say!

Could you offer a quick refresher please mate. What is causing us pitch issues and how do we address it?

The pitch looks poor around the edges and was sodden today but the important thing is that, goalmouths aside, it isn’t cutting up and the ball is running true, if it was a problem Gerrard wouldn’t have the team train on it the day before matches.

Firstly, thanks for that, had a look and you provide some really good info on the root (pardon the pun) cause of the issue and what need to be done.

Secondly, have you tried a hobby other than grass?!? You know you can comment on other things?!? :p

The neglect of our pitch from the board for several years now is totally unacceptable.

To not prioritise the durability of your pitch is beyond me.
I mentioned in an earlier post I honestly can’t remember it being as bad from 2015-2018 in the winter.

Is my mind playing tricks on me?.

Sack the board :))

6-F96-F671-9-C68-4683-898-F-AE4371-FD53-FD.png

All packed up & ready to go, Ibrox in 10?.

Talking about it during the game with a few hibs supporting mates who weren’t too impressed with their own pitch during the week

watched highlights and looked like a few pitches were struggling

Has anyone seen the clips from the 70’s and 80’s, the pitches were real mud heaps, and the players still got on with it. Todays pitches, Ibrox incuded are like a fkn bowling green compared to back then. We live in Glasgow, one of the shitest climates on the planet.

But it's part of our equipment.

It is essential to the way we play.

Has anyone seen the clips from the 70’s and 80’s, the pitches were real mud heaps, and the players still got on with it. Todays pitches, Ibrox incuded are like a fkn bowling green compared to back then. We live in Glasgow, one of the shitest climates on the planet.
Either the six or seven in a row season we played on Sand for the majority of the season.

Tge pitch today isn’t that bad. Few bald patches here and there thats it

I think we've played something like 13 home games. The state of it after such few games is really bad.

It is literally past its sell by date and we have been cutting corners to try and get more time out of it. The last couple of seasons in particular have shown that that has not been a good judgement at all.

The significance of the playing surface to our brand of football should never be dismissed.

I think we've played something like 13 home games. The state of it after such few games is really bad.

It is literally past its sell by date and we have been cutting corners to try and get more time out of it. The last couple of seasons in particular have shown that that has not been a good judgement at all.

The significance of the playing surface to our brand of football should never be dismissed.
How do you know we have been cutting corners?

How do you know we have been cutting corners?
One of the posters on here who is in the know will tell you that things should have been replaced a few years ago, but the board did not choose to do anything about it. That is the problem and why it had been a shit show for 2 or 3 seasons now.

Agreed. Not sure what the problem is? A quick look around Europe and the vast majority of top team pitches look far better than ours. I thought this was supposed to have been sorted through the summer months?
Will be the weather its been horrible the last few months or so and been a few games where its rained for the full game which will lead to the pitch cutting up. We've trained on the pitch before every European game as well which probably doesn't help but think the weather is a major factor.

Will be the weather its been horrible the last few months or so and been a few games where its rained for the full game which will lead to the pitch cutting up. We've trained on the pitch before every European game as well which may have not happened but think the weather is a major factor.
I see plenty of pitches from around the UK with pitches nowhere near as bad as ours.

In fact I even caught a glimpse of Aberdeen's today on SSN and it looked far better than ours.

Last edited:
get the motherwell groundsman, their pitch always look good, the weather we play football in, in this country is brutal, wonder if it's feasible to get a retractable roof over Ibrox making it an indoors statium when the weather is really bad, one can dream I guess.

I see plenty of pitches from around the UK with pitches nowhere near as bad as ours.

In fact I even caught a glimpse of Aberdeen's today on SSN and it looked far better than ours.
From our final home game of a season, can you tell us all how long the full overhaul of our pitch would take?

Back