Our ongoing pitch issues

get the motherwell groundsman, their pitch always look good, the weather we play football in, in this country is brutal, wonder if it's feasible to get a retractable roof over Ibrox making it an indoors statium when the weather is really bad, one can dream I guess.
He was with us before he left to go to Wolves to take up a role with them.

Was just out my back for a smoke
I've got a large bucket out there, it is almost full of water, this in the space of the last 2 days
I think any surface would struggle with that volume of rain

The pitch albeit far from perfect is nowwhere near as bad as is being made out.
Correct, scottish winter weather makes lush ran on grass a bit shit for a few months...the horror!!

That mobs pitch across the city is much worse than ours, let's stop making shit excuses guys.

The pitch is far from perfect but it isn't such a big problem that the players can't handle it.
Training on it seems to me to be the perfect way to deal with any problems we may face on a match day, especially as we are playing there next.
Look after the pitch or look after the game? Obvious.

It seems like every year we have a new super pitch laid or hybrid or something. And it still churns up.

I've mentioned before, but some junior football grounds are maintained by volunteers and look like bowling greens all year.

Complaining about bobbles then complaints about plastic pitches, can't have it both ways. The pitch was fine Saturday, it's Scotland in winter and we played during a storm. Adds to the theatre of the game, watch bowls if you want balls to roll straight all the time

Last edited:
Someone mentioned Aberdeen earlier in the thread, their pitch looks like something from the premiership compared to ours - there is clearly something wrong / soft about the makeup of our pitch.

It seems like every year we have a new super pitch laid or hybrid or something. And it still churns up.

I've mentioned before, but some junior football grounds are maintained by volunteers and look like bowling greens all year.
Which grounds are these? How often are the played on? What's the footfall on them? Where are they?

Let's not start comparing apples with oranges.

Someone mentioned Aberdeen earlier in the thread, their pitch looks like something from the premiership compared to ours - there is clearly something wrong / soft about the makeup of our pitch.
Exactly.

When the sheep's pitch is in far better condition than ours it puts it into perspective how bad ours is.

As said already, the whole structure of our surface and soil is literally past its use by date.

Exactly.

When the sheep's pitch is in far better condition than ours it puts it into perspective how bad ours is.

As said already, the whole structure of our surface and soil is literally past its use by date.
Funny that, Derek mciness made a point of stating how bad his pitch was after the st johnstone game saying it was horrible, dried out and full of bobbles...

I don't think it was any coincidence that we lost form last year as our pitch became a swamp. The pitch already is looking like it might go the same way.

Was genuinely surprised to hear that we trained on it yesterday. You can already see parts of our game slowing down as a result. Goldson almost lost the ball in a dangerous position due to a bobble. It needs to be addressed urgently.
I believe the reason we lost our form before was simple, we play a high intensity pressing game that takes a lot out of the players. previously we never had the squad to replace players with quality when they were drained. We now have a squad where we can take 4-5 players out with rotation and substitutions allowing our players to remain fresh and get rest. The big difference is that we are now playing week in week out with a first 11 with high energy levels

Have you seen Motherwells pitch?
Nope. I do remember that a few seasons ago their pitch was a disgrace due to the number of games they had played on it. We've had European games as well as league games, they've had fewer home games so probably inevitable that their pitch looks better.

I was in the stadium on Christmas Eve and it looked brilliant for this time of year.
Not much use looking good when no-one is playing on it though - just seems too soft / cuts up too easily.

Last edited:
I missed it because of an exam, ended up getting a talking to in the library off one of the janitors for cheering too loud after Arfield scored hahahaha
It was a Sunday?.

You aerodynamics lads Christ :))

• Haha
Reactions: LD5

Why then do so many junior games get postponed in winter?

It doesn't appear to be draining properly you can see the drain patterns in the exposed turf surface I seem to remember it was redeveloped there was a large.sand base.core which I would expect fast drainage.

We live in a country which is wetter than just about any other in Europe and the amount of daylight during winter is negligible for grass growth

Its not really a surprise to see bald patches appearing
Indeed but we also use the lamps on the grass and many of the epl pitches suffer with shit weather and lack of sunlight and look far superior.

I think raising the issue is ok and not just a moan for the sake of it.

It isn’t anywhere near as bad as it was this time last year

Last edited:
Little natural light after late summer, high Scottish rainfall and under soil heating.
Interesting re under soil heating.

There has been little or no frost and surely would be switched on unless a heavy frost forecast?

Compared to many teams in the UK with similar issues you mentioned above our pitch is poor in comparison to many.

This is another reason why we Can’t increase capacity Via lowering the pitch, the water course is the problem there would have to be an enormous drainage system put in place. It would have to be the top corners.

I think we've played something like 13 home games. The state of it after such few games is really bad.

It is literally past its sell by date and we have been cutting corners to try and get more time out of it. The last couple of seasons in particular have shown that that has not been a good judgement at all.

The significance of the playing surface to our brand of football should never be dismissed.
Was it not relaid during spell the league got called for Covid?

I don't think it was any coincidence that we lost form last year as our pitch became a swamp. The pitch already is looking like it might go the same way.

Was genuinely surprised to hear that we trained on it yesterday. You can already see parts of our game slowing down as a result. Goldson almost lost the ball in a dangerous position due to a bobble. It needs to be addressed urgently.
We have trained on it twice now in appaling weather the night before games.
Christmas night and before Liege, can see the damage it is doing.

We have a training ground for a reason

The manager obviously doesn't think it's as bad as some on here do, that's all that matters, other than the bobble the ball took when Goldson went a run I can't remember it causing us issues.

It's a bloody billiard table...

Used to be a case of we hardly had a blade of grass on the pitch in the winter months.

That was back in the days of when we played on, regardless of weather conditions.

Back