Our record in 'big' domestic games since 18/19.

We played five big domestic games against them last year, winning four and drawing one, with a 4-1 hammering thrown in for good measure.
Let's be honest though: Last season is starting to very much look like the exception instead of the norm. Overall we've been atrocious once the pressure is there.

As a club you can go back further than that and include the Cup Final of 2016.
Our Captain was very a much part of that team, granted he’s the only one that remains.

As a club we have a recent history of losing domestic games we needed to win. A real losers mentality.

2018/19
Lose League Cup semi-final 1-0 Aberdeen.
Lose Scottish Cup quarter-final 2-0 Aberdeen.
Go top of the league in December by winning at Hearts, lose 1-0 at home to Aberdeen to relinquish top spot 3 days later.
Collapse post winter break.
Lose deciding OF game 2-1.

2019/20
Lose League Cup final Celtic 1-0
Lose Scottish Cup quarter-final 1-0 Hearts.
Go top of the league in October by winning against Hamilton, draw 1-1 away to Hearts to relinquish top spot in the next game.
League called early.

2020/21
Lose League Cup quarter-final 3-2 St Mirren.
Lose Scottish Cup quarter-final on penalties St Johnstone.
55 - Glorious, but with no fans in the grounds, to mention this is to talk down an achievement that means so much to us, no matter your opinion on that this season looks like the exception rather than the rule.

2021/22
Lose League Cup semi-final 3-1 Hibs.
Lose deciding OF game 2-1 which results in a 12 point swing since December.

I'll caveat the above by pointing out the European performances across this period have been outstanding and there may be some big games in there where we have won yet ultimately resulted in no silverware (few OF wins, beat Hearts 1-0 in a semi final).

What are people's overriding opinion of this team as it ends it's cycle? I know it's not over yet.
Really has been grim and even before 18-19 the cup final loss to hibs was a real tough one to take.

If we don't beat them in Semi then Gio really can't continue it has been a nightmare to watch and apart from Europe we still need a massive mentality change at the club.

I'd rip it up and go again from fresh even Tav :)):( can move on.

I think we undoubtedly should have a few more cups to show for the past few seasons, but ‘1 win in 12’ is a bit disingenuous and ignores a lot of context. The team Gerrard inherited was a shambles and a million miles away from winning a trophy, within a year and a half we were desperately unlucky not to get a league cup on the board which showed the clear progress of the team at that time

In those 7 domestic cups this squad have competed for - not including this seasons Scottish as it’s still Inplay - we have reached 1 final and 2 Semi Finals. Losing 4 QFs to Aberdeen, Hearts, St Mirren and St Johnstone.

That record is absolutely criminal and there can be no defence whatsoever for it. Cup upsets happen yes, but that record is the kind of record you would expect from a Hearts or Hibs, not Rangers

Last edited:
On-field leadership, especially when the chips are down.

Not a criticism of Tav, who I think does the best he can. But successful Rangers teams of the past have had guys scattered throughout the team that would’ve been captains at any other club they played for. We’ve simply not had that in sufficient quantities for a number of years.

Do you think I like having to highlight it? It's a stick used by opposition fans to talk down 55, an achievement that means the world to us but can you really write it off completely, we'll never have concrete proof but there's a patter of behaviour there which doesn't reflect favourably on them.

We were 6pts ahead this season and we've been similarly competitive going into Winter breaks in prior seasons - did the crowds suddenly become an issue in January?

We had posters on here citing the crowd after the opening defeat at a half-empty Tannadice. I think some are looking for an over-riding reason when it's (unfortunately) a multitude of other things.

Last season we were focused on stopping the 10 (the choice of language is deliberate) - and Gerrard admitted so. Basically he filled his remit, in his eyes. And I think that attitude was present throughout the dressing room.

Not a criticism of Tav, who I think does the best he can. But successful Rangers teams of the past have had guys scattered throughout the team that would’ve been captains at any other club they played for. We’ve simply not had that in sufficient quantities for a number of years.
Tav isn’t the issue for me.

He needs help especially in midfield. We need a bastard in there who can play. I like Lundstram but I’m not sure he’s the answer. And Ryan Jack was exceptionally poor yesterday.

Did you see yesterday, Arfield wanted a quick throw from Tav but Tav cuddled the ball and pointed to the Celtic player sitting on his arse at the half way line. The game was still live as Collum hasn’t stopped play, he did when Tav done that and any advantage we may have had was gone. Arfield just put his hands out and shrugged

This happened at 1-2, with about maybe 10-15mins to go(?) and the league Title slipping away.

What chance have you got?

Did you see yesterday, Arfield wanted a quick throw from Tav but Tav cuddled the ball and pointed to the Celtic player sitting on his arse at the half way line. The game was still live as Collum hasn’t stopped play, he did when Tav done that and any advantage we may have had was gone. Arfield just put his hands out and shrugged

This happened at 1-2, with about maybe 10-15mins to go(?) and the league Title slipping away.

What chance have you got?
I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me / disagreeing with me / having a go at me?

Like I said, I think Tav does the best he can. That doesn’t mean I view him the same as Greig or Gough.

I don’t think we’ve had a proper narky bastard leader on the park since Barry Ferguson. But my point was more that we need a number of those attitudes, it can’t just be one guy.

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me / disagreeing with me / having a go at me?

Like I said, I think Tav does the best he can. That doesn’t mean I view him the same as Greig or Gough.

I don’t think we’ve had a proper narky bastard leader on the park since Barry Ferguson. But my point was more that we need a number of those attitudes, it can’t just be one guy.
Was more just an opportunity to get that off my chest since Captain Marvel was mentioned lol

FWIW I don’t think he is a Rangers Captain in a million years, and with his sidekick Goldson being Vice Captain, it’s no wonder there doesn’t seem to be any leadership in the squad. The comments the pair of them have made in the past about the squads mentality are astounding, and it’s no surprise they will leave with empty pockets

Walter’s side would absolutely slap our current side. I wouldn’t say the talent levels are drastically different but the difference in mentality is night and day.
They wouldn’t lay a glove on Smith’s team.

Yes, we have lost all of the games that we have lost. And if you ignore the games that we won, it makes it even worse.

Why is loosing to St mirren and St Johnstone in the cups classed as big games? But beating Livingston at the same stage of the competition the following season isnt?

Regards the crowd thing, I previously thought it was pish, but our players completely shat it at Torbett Towers from their crowd, you could see it in their faces even before a ball was kicked, they were terrified.

Frightening looking at that
Ah but we miss stevie g and Michael Beale don’t you know? Other than that league win last year the rest is absolutely atrocious to look at. 2 post winter break capitulations and 3 semi finals from a possible 8.

We're fine against teams who play open, expansive football (Europe and Celtic).
We struggle with teams who make it difficult for us.
Our problem this season is our inability to score more goals. We need about 8 or 9 on target to score 1.

A very good observation. Interestingly enough the scum just dug in during the second half on Sunday. Everyone behind the ball, snide fouls to frustrate us and stop any quick breaks, force us out wide for the inevitable high floating easy to deal with cross, allow us to have the ball in the first 2/3rds and then be organised enough to watch us falter and stumble trying to break down an organised defence. The exact same we face from most SPFL teams, especially if we haven’t made a breakthrough by the 20 minute mark.

I was sitting watching the second half on Sunday thinking it was EXACTLY how a game against SPFL plodders unfolds when things aren’t going our way, we’re not playing that well, have conceded a cluster f*ck of an early goal etc. A couple of half chances but in the main the opposition keeper doesn’t have a whole lot to do.

Last edited:
Why is loosing to St mirren and St Johnstone in the cups classed as big games? But beating Livingston at the same stage of the competition the following season isnt?

Because a League Cup QF at home to Livingston should be comfortably taken care of by any component Rangers side. A defeat is a major shock and embarrassment, that’s why the continual black marks that are against this squad are a damning criticism of their mentality and ability to be successful Rangers players, and it’s why we need a clear out

It’s all about standards

Strange that you don’t get that

Back