Paddy McNair

No idea if it's true or not but assuming it is, he could be seen as maybe a back up to Lundstram's role. Start in midfield, has the ability to play in a back 3 when/if necessary.

His injury record is appalling.

What position is he? Getting flashbacks of this man going by the right back/centre back/centre mid responses:

article-1194625-0078193700000578-485_468x417.jpg

We shouldn't be considering any player who isn't a guaranteed starter at Middlesbrough
That's not really the way it works mate. Different team different league different ball game. Don't think cantwell was starting at Norwich just as one example.

A player not starting for a team you deem as worse than us in a completely different league does not mean he won't do well here.

That's a very naive way of looking at football.

Boro and Bears fan here.

Love Paddy, been a great servant to our club. Will be made up if he signs for the Teds. He's best as a ball-playing centre half. My feeling is he'd do well in the league against most Scottish teams, had big Gyokeres in his back pocket in the play off games last season, who is a real talent.

He has got a mistake in him 1 in every 5 games maybe but if Rangers can get him cheap, he's a plug and play ready made centre half option, and whoever said about his bad injury record I disagree, he's usually available whenever needed, plays pretty much every game for NI too.

Massive Bluenose and versatile player too, can slot in DM, CM if needed. Good for about 5 goals a season too if played in an advanced role, good strike on him.

What position is he? Getting flashbacks of this man going by the right back/centre back/centre mid responses:

article-1194625-0078193700000578-485_468x417.jpg
Think he plays CB in a back 3 for Boro. For NI he’s been everywhere, right mid, centre mid, right back, centre back.
If we want a smaller squad, then having someone with McNair’s versatility makes sense, and he is a good player.

Middlesbrough have signed Van Den Berg a defender from Zwolle this morning. Does that it more likely McNair could sign for us if they have cover in defence? I know McNair can play defence or midfield. Probably a 2 + 2 = 5 notion but there goes anyway.

All things being equal, I would love him to sign for us, and he would love it too.
But, all things are not equal, and given the financial differences between us and England, I don't think it's a runner, unfortunately

Kamara is levels above McNair and won't be going to an English Championship side.

Ideally, we sell Kamara for good money and reinvest the money in someone who improves our squad.
McNair doesn't fit that remit.

If i was offered McNair or keep Kamara id take McNair.

Kamara has offered nothing since last years Euro qualifiers.

Kamara is levels above McNair and won't be going to an English Championship side.

Ideally, we sell Kamara for good money and reinvest the money in someone who improves our squad.
McNair doesn't fit that remit.
Yet another of our fans who completely ignore fitness and form when it comes to valuations of our players.

You're championing someone who demonstrably downed tools in every way imaginable, who the manager has publicly stated needs to leave.

Players do not maintain their peak value when they completely abandon the fundamentals.

A factor in this may be that McNair may have to move to a team where he will get regular first team football to help his international career. Michael O’Neil has said he prefers his players to be playing regularly at whatever clubs they’re with.

Just a thought on Kamara. I always wondered why we got such a good player with an Arsenal pedigree so cheaply?

I think the last two years have shown that he may have an application problem.
He only plays when everything is good with him.
Hope I’m wrong but we may have a problem shifting him for a decent fee.

Kamara situation quickly becoming what Morelos was over his period of lack of fitness and attitude. Needs moved on ASAP.

Wouldn’t be adverse to McNair but not one I think will happen.

For those recent posts asking about or mentioning his injury record, see my post 146 - he's played plenty the last 4 years.

Whoever said he's always injured is talking crap.

Another average at best player the people would have no interest in if he wasn't from Northern Ireland or a Rangers fan.

He's nowhere near good enough to improve our side and £3m-£4m for that quality makes absolutely no sense. If he was a free as a backup on low wage it would perhaps make sense, but no chance would I be paying that.

There's been quite a few of these and not many of the touted that have actually signed have been huge successes. McAuley, Healy, Hodson, Carroll, Jordan Jones in recent times.

Not to mention the absolutely ridiculous suggestions like Josh Magennis.

Granted Davis was a success but he was a good EPL player, not a player languishing at a middling Championship club in his peak years. To a lesser extent Lafferty was decent in his first spell but he was a bright prospect.

Last edited:
Is there even any credible sources saying this is actually a possibility or is this just a big FF rabbit hole

I'm not exactly desperate to sign him, but that is utter nonsense. He is at the peak of his game, played shit loads of games the last few years and is one of the key players in his team, not an injury prone has been who barely gets a look in.
Similarities are we would be signing him for his supporter status not footballing ability. If he wasn’t a fan would never be on the radar. Totally wrong reasons to sign a player.

Back