Park bar, Cessnock

lX32TAT.jpg

An Ibrox pub is set to welcome new outdoor seating, a comedy venue and bar to host pre and post match hospitality during games at Ibrox as part of a makeover.
The Park Bar on Paisley Road West is undergoing a £173,000 refurbishment.
Work has started on transforming the interior of the pub to enhance the neighbourhood, with new windows, signage and lighting.
If given the go-ahead by city planners, a south facing cafe style area for seating for 20 will be created on the pavement.
The interior will be given a traditional look, with artwork and decoration celebrating Govan's history.
The furniture and toilets will be replaced and a new kitchen installed so that home made food can be introduced.
A cellar upgrade will include state of the art dispense technology and hot drinks will be served all day and the range of spirits and wines extended.
BT and Sky Sports will be installed along with high definition screens and a wide range of sports will be shown.
The makeover will also reopen a disused cellar bar.
Renamed Jimmy’s Bar, it will host stand up comedy and entertainment throughout the year and pre and post match hospitality during games at Ibrox.
Experienced licensee Donny McIntyre – whose family run The Amethyst on Govan Road at Linthouse – is taking on the pub.
Mr McIntyre said: “There’s nowhere to better to have a pub than Glasgow. Govan is a fantastic part of the city and The Park Bar was too good an opportunity to miss.
"It’s a much-loved institution for football fans on match days. I want to broaden its appeal and make it somewhere the whole community enjoys year-round too.”
He is also committed to improving service for football fans on match days, adding: “We’ll open earlier, serve people more quickly and offer food – including a special Govan breakfast."
The refurbishment is part of an investment by Heineken into its Star Pubs and Bars estate.
Star Pubs & Bars operations director for Scotland, Brian Davidson: “Our investment in Glasgow is a sign of our confidence in the future of Scotland’s pubs. We’re thinking big and investing substantially in order to attract new customers and establish great pubs that will stand the test of time.
“Donny is a highly experienced and well-respected licensee. We’re delighted to be joining forces with him to give The Park Bar a new lease of life. It will be transformed and much more comfortable when it reopens with many more reasons for people to visit.”
Heineken is investing £4 million in its Star Pubs & Bars estate in Scotland in 2019, and have already been involved in the refurbishment of The Thornwood on Dumbarton Road.
3fTNphs.jpg

Sounds great but I’m not sure it’ll attract the clientele they’re looking for.
Why not? The Amythist in Linthouse is always busy and here are no other decent pubs in the immediate area. Most people don’t want to go out with their partner to a football boozer of a Friday/Saturday night.
Do you think people in this area wouldn’t want to go to a decent pub, the area isn’t any different to any other area in the city and is not populated by lowlifes any more than anywhere else.

good luck in this venture i would say,, somewhere that will enhance the match day for some of our support has to be welcomed,and as kathmandu says above it a wee bit different to what we have down that way at the moment, for those of us that frequent the pr outwith match times ,

Why not? The Amythist in Linthouse is always busy and here are no other decent pubs in the immediate area. Most people don’t want to go out with their partner to a football boozer of a Friday/Saturday night.
Do you think people in this area wouldn’t want to go to a decent pub, the area isn’t any different to any other area in the city and is not populated by lowlifes any more than anywhere else.

I live in Elizabeth Street, the pubs right at the top of the street. You might be right though, build it and they will come etc.....

I used to be a fairly regular punter in The Park at various stages, always rammed on a Friday night for the karaoke, nearly a bit of an institution, the vast majority would always be locals from surrounding area and down round Govan. Same faces, no thrills, slightly down at heel but authentic and appealing to anyone who wanted to experience a snapshot of spit and saw dust Glasgow Locals.

Thing is very few of the transient population of the area would venture into the pubs round here and I’m not sure how that would start happening without the old regulars feeling pushed out.

It’ll be interesting that’s for sure. When it reopens will the regulars return, will there be their karaoke for them on a Friday or will the message be it’s a changed pub for a new crowd.

I live in Elizabeth Street, the pubs right at the top of the street. You might be right though, build it and they will come etc.....

I used to be a fairly regular punter in The Park at various stages, always rammed on a Friday night for the karaoke, nearly a bit of an institution, the vast majority would always be locals from surrounding area and down round Govan. Same faces, no thrills, slightly down at heel but authentic and appealing to anyone who wanted to experience a snapshot of spit and saw dust Glasgow Locals.

Thing is very few of the transient population of the area would venture into the pubs round here and I’m not sure how that would start happening without the old regulars feeling pushed out.

It’ll be interesting that’s for sure. When it reopens will the regulars return, will there be their karaoke for them on a Friday or will the message be it’s a changed pub for a new crowd.

Where do you drink now mate, do we know each other

Where do you drink now mate, do we know each other

Ha, don’t think so. I keep myself to myself. ;)

Don’t go out anywhere near as much these days but usually West End or Town then sometimes the Kenny if I’m passing on my way home.

Ha, don’t think so. I keep myself to myself. ;)

Don’t go out anywhere near as much these days but usually West End or Town then sometimes the Kenny if I’m passing on my way home.

Don’t think we are welcome in the Kenny any more :)) told Danny a few home truths and got told not to come back.

Will be interesting to see what they make of it. Live bands will get the crowds in. Mrs K and myself are always looking for somewhere good to go local.

The only problem in the Kensington is the sour faced boot that seems to be the bar manager. She's a Hibs supporter and fucking hates us, always in a c*nt of a mood when we've won and nice as pie when we haven't. After the game on the 29th the Sky programme was still on when we got there and because one - literally one guy - tried and failed to get a few songs going she turned it over to some sort of God channel. Not sure if I'll go back in to be honest, might just keep walking to the Grapes/District.
Wise decision don't give your money to people that hate us that's how I do business.

Don’t think we are welcome in the Kenny any more :)) told Danny a few home truths and got told not to come back.

Will be interesting to see what they make of it. Live bands will get the crowds in. Mrs K and myself are always looking for somewhere good to go local.
Think they will do well mate , turned the old Gazzelle around in linthouse . It was dying on its arse before the Amethyst.
Drank in guzzle for years and welcomed the change to the song nights on thursday/saturdays (always busy).
Few of the staff from park bar in amethyst while its shut , eye candy for bears when it opens back up on matchdays

Anyone been in over the last couple of weeks?

Whats it like? Whats the craic with the guy running the place and are the Bears welcome or just tolerated on matchday?

Drove past this morning, it actually looks really nice and welcoming, compared to the old park bar of course :D:D

Drove past this morning, it actually looks really nice and welcoming, compared to the old park bar of course :D:D

from the outside it looks 100% better apart from a 'Jimmy's' sign above the door, Took a very quick peek in when passing and it looks just as shite imo

The photos of the place on FB look well.

Is it the downstairs bar that is branded as Jimmy's for hosting music/gig events?

Anyone been in over the last couple of weeks?

Whats it like? Whats the craic with the guy running the place and are the Bears welcome or just tolerated on matchday?
I was in after the beggars game and it was busy. I think they were mid-re-furb to be fair, so still work to finish off, but it was certainly fresher, had plenty of staff on and we got served quickly.

Don't live locally so haven't been in other than matchday so can't comment on other days.

I hadn't been in for years, but I'd definitely go back.

Popped in for a pint the other night there and it was empty, shame, because it looks great. I wasn't downstairs to "Jimmy's" as they have called it. Might try out the all day breakfast one day for £5.50 which they are doing.

Excuse me for using Belfast vernacular. How unstaunch.
'Crack' is a word that originated in northern England and Scotland which was then bastardised by the Irish to 'craic'. It's not the term I object to, just the spelling.

Was in before the game against them. Amstel, Heineken, fosters and tennants on draught.

Done up really well and no bad prices.

Back