Penalty decision for Dundee

Nope. McLaughlin was nowhere near the ball, the attacker jumped over him to avoid contact, either way our keeper was going to take him out, pen.
I’m not disagreeing it was a pen, a very very soft one, but how does a penalty get awarded when, you say, there doesn’t need to be contact?

I’m not disagreeing it was a pen, a very very soft one, but how does a penalty get awarded when, you say, there doesn’t need to be contact?
There doesn’t need to be contact for a foul to occur, if the player has to avoid being impeded and loses possession etc, then he’s been fouled.

Seen it plenty of times with red cards, guy comes flying in two footed - the other player gets out the way, but the tackler is still sent off because he’s endangered the opponent and they’ve had to react.

I guess the best way to describe it would be the intent in the tackle from our keeper. He was never getting to the ball. The attacker hurdled him and went down, its a pen and you see then given quite frequently, the scum got one in the exact same circumstances against Betis.

There doesn’t need to be contact for a foul to occur, if the player has to avoid being impeded and loses possession etc, then he’s been fouled.

Seen it plenty of times with red cards, guy comes flying in two footed - the other player gets out the way, but the tackler is still sent off because he’s endangered the opponent and they’ve had to react.

This

I said in the match thread.

While still a stone waller that was a total dive.

The guy could have walked the ball into the net but tried to get McLaughlin sent off and win the pk so just fell over a leg that he could have easily hurdled.
Because he overran the ball I think mate

My first thought was a clear dive. Need to see it again on tv
I've seen it multiple times on tv and he left his trailing leg in and unsurprisingly caught McGlaughlins shin then did the full swallow dive.
Our keeper didn't "bring him down", he deliberately lowered his foot to make contact with his leg and "won" a penalty.
I said it earlier but I actually thought at the time Madden was going to book him for simulation!

McLaughlin made a genuine attempt to play the ball and not the man hence penalty with a yellow card was the correct call. Thought the Dundee player would of probably scored if he didn't play for the penalty and getting our keeper sent off, serves the cheating prick right that it could of cost them a point.

The game would never be finished if a ref had to apply the rule of, I HAD TO RUN ROUND HIM. FOUL.
Where did anyone go “flying in”, and I’m sure you’r conflating the rule of Endangering an opponent, to a soft penalty.
This incident was a pen, engineered by the attacker and allowed to be so, because of poor decisions and circumstances. Nothing more.

The game would never be finished if a ref had to apply the rule of, I HAD TO RUN ROUND HIM. FOUL.
Where did anyone go “flying in”, and I’m sure you’r conflating the rule of Endangering an opponent, to a soft penalty.
This incident was a pen, engineered by the attacker and allowed to be so, because of poor decisions and circumstances. Nothing more.
I never said anyone went flying in, and I’m not conflating anything, was merely saying that you don’t need to make contact to foul someone.

Perhaps using a tackling example was a bit off topic, but regardless - the rules state that contact doesn’t need to happen for a foul to take place.

FWIW, I haven’t watched it back.

Jason missed on purpose
Decent 'nalty down the middle, but not convincing.

Know for a fact if it was v the scum Cummings would have had it nestling top left(his, not keepers).

/me beats chest twice and points at Cummings. No words needed.

Only against Rangers are we subjected to this tripe over every decision including one of our players the question to ask is why the referee continued to let dundee players go wrecklessly into tackles with zero punishment

McMullan did the “Beckham” dive. McLaughlin did the “ Schmeichel” star jump to try and block what he thought would be a shot or a dink over his head. His outstretched leg was on the ground and McMullan threw himself over that leg while ensuring his left toe dragged along the turf and deliberately made contact with it. That’s what happens when forwards think they may have overrun the ball and referees go for it. It would be a brave ref that doesn’t give the penalty and instead yellow cards the diver. As for a red card for the keeper it’s a definite “No”. A genuine attempt to play the ball makes it only a yellow.

I’m not conflating anything, was merely saying that you don’t need to make contact to foul someone.

Perhaps using a tackling example was a bit off topic, but regardless - the rules state that contact doesn’t need to happen for a foul to take place.
Where?

I know where the rules state, endangers an opponent.

Otherwise? I’m lost.

Where?

I know where the rules state, endangers an opponent.

Otherwise? I’m lost.
Charging out like that could be viewed as reckless or careless by the referee, the referee may interpret that situation as the attacker having to manoeuvre themselves out the way to avoid contact.

I don’t think this is anything new, I remember these discussions happening ten years ago, even in England?.

(The FA’s website, by the way)

I’ve not watched the incident back, don’t even know if there was contact, so not saying that’s what happened here, merely pointing out that contact isn’t essential for a foul.

Last edited:
I've seen it multiple times on tv and he left his trailing leg in and unsurprisingly caught McGlaughlins shin then did the full swallow dive.
Our keeper didn't "bring him down", he deliberately lowered his foot to make contact with his leg and "won" a penalty.
I said it earlier but I actually thought at the time Madden was going to book him for simulation!
so, in effect he kicked the goalie, surely that's a foul the other way.....

You can just tell McMullen was one of them. Looks like one probably smells like one and most certainly acted like one all day.
(Yet another) Disgusting football team

It was a stone wall penalty. Thankfully Cumdog hit a shiter and Jon saved us.

Ridiculous that we even had to rely on a penalty save to get us the 3 points anyway.

Surely this doesn't apply if you can hurdle the challenge without being impeded though?

He could easily have stay up and scored imo.

I've lost track of the rules and I'm an old guy. It appears to me its becoming a non contact sport. Is it a penalty, no because nobody has fouled anybody, yes because of the theatrics of the attacker.
I'm 66 and I could have got over the goalies leg but its a penalty because the attacker isn't getting the ball and leaves a trailing leg.

Back