Players to never (or hardly ever) score for us

Just thought of Nigel Spackman and looked him up. 100 games for us and scored 1 goal.
That must be a league stat. He scored in cup games against Dunfermline and Queens Park.

The man he replaced, Ray Wilkins, would have had a similar record. He only ever scored against Celtic and one against Clydebank I think?

Not in modern times, but Dougie Gray with 851 Appearances (1925-46), scored 2 Goals.
Both came from the Penalty spot, in his sixth season with us, and he played a further 16 seasons, and never scored again.

Longest between goals has to be Willie Woodburn, who scored his first goal in the 1930's, then played 331 Games, before he scored his second goal in the 1950's.

Just thought of Nigel Spackman and looked him up. 100 games for us and scored 1 goal.
He scored a couple of goals in the cups as well... Nigel was more there for the interceptions & pinpoint passing than the goals though :cool:

I think I’m right in saying that Jimmy Nicholl never scored for Rangers, certainly in the second spell.

Memory plays tricks with me on Gary Stevens and Davie Robertson scoring goals.. far less than I imagined.

That must be a league stat. He scored in cup games against Dunfermline and Queens Park.

The man he replaced, Ray Wilkins, would have had a similar record. He only ever scored against Celtic and one against Clydebank I think?
We’re Wilkins’ goals not scored within about 4 days of each other as well? Celtic on the Saturday and Clydebank on the midweek before or after that in the League Cup.

Stolen from the F365 forum.

Which of our outfield players has the highest number of appearances with the fewest goals?

In modern times, I couldn't really beat Papac.
Is that still going? Vaguely remember that used to be amazing.

Actually interesting how many of these players who scored only a few goals for us did manage to net against Celtic. Spackman, Kuznetsov, Thomson, Ugo, even Davis if you look at his total goals compared to the ones against them.
Konterman and Thern each scored a beauty against them and off the top of my head not many apart from that? (though Thern didn't play all that much either).

Edited: removed Nerlinger from the list. I had decided he scored one against them. He didn't.

Last edited:
The miss is nowhere near as bad as folk remember, it comes at his weak foot pretty quickly about 12-14 yards out on the right hand side.

He should absolutely score but it’s not the sitter everyone seems to think it was :))
Thought I was mad to remember it being much further out than 1 yard!

No worries. Was genuinely thinking I'd missed it. Always wrecked at those games
Honestly mate, I've been watching loads of old highlights and goals on YouTube recently and I could have sworn I'd seen one Nerlinger scored in an Old Firm game. Him and Thern have probably blended into the same guy in my memory. That Thern one is unbelievable.

Paul Rideout. He was brought in as a striker to cover injuries, I don’t know the stats but it felt like he was never going to score for us. He did get one, but that was after a 10 game run of blanks. He did try, but just didn’t happen for him.

For strikers Eduardo Herrera and egil ostenstaad were shocking signings 1 goal between them I believe?
Marcus Gayle and James Beattie as well, waste of money.
Capucho and Mladenovic as well should have scored more than they did

For strikers Eduardo Herrera and egil ostenstaad were shocking signings 1 goal between them I believe?
Big Eduardo scored twice, two cracking finishes to be fair!.

Has DangerZone not popped in to suggest James Tavernier yet? Because all he does is score penalties and they don't count.

If not, give him time...

Herrera scored 2 and they were both cracking finishes to be fair but yes he was a shocking signing.

Paul Rideout. He was brought in as a striker to cover injuries, I don’t know the stats but it felt like he was never going to score for us. He did get one, but that was after a 10 game run of blanks. He did try, but just didn’t happen for him.
Went on to score the winner in an FA Cup final IIRC.

Ahh, good old Egil Oftenbad

Should Jamie Ness be added to the list of hardly scoring for us but getting one against Celtic? Even Edu, only remember him scoring a few.

Back