Players you wish we kept for longer

Sone Aluko! Wasn't overly fussed about him signing but he was fantastic
It's not too late. Incredibly he is still only 32 and playing for Ipswich!

3 goals in 7 since he signed in the summer. I have a large collection of butt-plugs? Lol

Seriously though, loved him and one of our most pleasently surprising signings over the years.

Ricksen and Lovenkrands.

In the right frame of mind Ricksen was an outstanding player, I reckon if he was still around when Walter came back we'd have seen a Hutton like transformation with him.

Also Lovenkrands doing the counter attacking stuff in a Walter team would have been very interesting.

Someone who had a good career after he left us was John Spencer. Would have liked to have seen what he would have done had he stayed.

Vladimír Weiss is another, would have loved to have signed him on a permanent deal! Been linked just about every window since, had a decent career but could have became a legend at Ibrox

Didn't share your enthusiasm for Weiss but I understand it. You are being a bit unfair though on him not being a legend. According to many on another thread one title makes you a legend, and Vlad won a title and a League Cup.

Jelavic for me. His first 8/10 months at Everton he was exceptional, ended up something like 12 goals in 14 games including goals v Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs

Albertz, remember him doing a lap of honour in tears and wondering why is he leaving ?
Scrap that I know why he left, Advocaat.
Amo asked McLeish to bring him back, think Hamburg wanted the £3m they paid us or whatever and Murray said naw.

Unless Eck was just humouring Amo of course.

Clement and Boumsong, are the two main ones for me. Excluding the 2012 malarkey.

Maybe Sionko too, as a bit of an outside shout.

Big Ugo would have helped us during 2007/2008, rather than having Amdy Faye to call on.

Was he any good at Motherwell? Before my time to be honest.
I’m sure he got back into the Scotland squad.

I was gutted when he, super ally and ray wilkins left and never wanted Boyd to leave first time around

I always thought barry Ferguson was sold rather than wanting to leave. Think Murray needed the money. If arteta had left that summer think Barry would’ve stayed

Not sure I was gutted but always thought we should have kept David Healy for the lower devisions

Was thinking about this earlier today when my old man reminded me of Jeremy Clement. Thought he looked decent and left with Le Guen to join PSG after only being with us for 6 months.

Another one was Kenny Miller 2nd time round. Im sure he scored 22 goals by Jan in 2011. We ended up winning the league, but with Miller i think we would of won the treble

Lastly Alan Hutton. 9M great business at the time but he looked unplayable that season. Him in that Uefa cup final instead of Broadfoot please.

Any more?
He didn't want to leave, but Murray was desperate to sell him, and basically forced him out.

Back