Possibly the worst example of cheating our game has ever seen on Saturday - Where’s the condemnation?

But the point is that they have VAR. And they are refereeing to having VAR. Nothing has been re-refereed.

Criticism stems from lack of understanding from what occurred. Lack of understanding of how to use VAR properly, and lack of understanding of its remit and limitations

He's backdated a decision 7 seconds, its less time than the Lawrence foul for 2-2 the other week and somehow it's less understandable and more contentious....

Incredible
I thought you would bring that one up.
Theres more than a time gap between the two incidents so why compare the two?
Beaton was happy to award the goal then VAR intervened and asked him to review the goal which he subsequently disallowed.
Robertson could have awarded a penalty but didn't to allow the attack to progress.
Why do that if he saw a blatant foul ( in his eyes) from the outset?
He shouldn't be refereeing a game thinking VAR will eventually get to a decision.

' That was a foul ' but I'll not stop the game because if anything happens I can pull the play back because I can or VAR will be my friend should anything seriously game changing
occurs

Or

' Not a foul' but I've now got the power to backtrack in a couple of ways if anything goes to shit.

Last edited:
I thought you would bring that one up.
Theres more than a time gap between the two incidents so why compare the two?
Beaton was happy to award the goal then VAR intervened and asked him to review the goal which he subsequently disallowed.
Robertson could have awarded a penalty but didn't to allow the attack to progress.
Why do that if he saw a blatant foul ( in his eyes) from the outset?
He shouldn't be refereeing a game thinking VAR will eventually get to a decision.

' That was a foul ' but I'll not stop the game because if anything happens I can pull the play back because I can or VAR will be my friend should anything seriously game changing
occurs

Or

' Not a foul' but I've now got the power to backtrack in a couple of ways if anything goes to shit.
No he couldn’t

The penalty incident was the last thing that happened. At that point, the obvious attacking chance ended as a result of a foul

A foul he would have given

Except for the delayed whistle he clearly motioned towards and was going back for

If he had given a penalty, it’d have been overturned by VAR I suspect

And here endeth the conspiracy…

No he couldn’t

The penalty incident was the last thing that happened. At that point, the obvious attacking chance ended as a result of a foul

A foul he would have given

Except for the delayed whistle he clearly motioned towards and was going back for

And here endeth the conspiracy…

T
he obvious attacking chance that should have ended with a stop to the game when the ball dropped to McKenzie.
Unless he thought maybe, then no then backtracked after the CV foul play for the penalty.

You seem not to give that option much credence.

Because it wasn't a foul challenge or due to the iffy ' I can't make my mind up foul ' on Johnston?

T
he obvious attacking chance that should have ended with a stop to the game when the ball dropped to McKenzie.
Unless he thought maybe, then no then backtracked after the CV foul play for the penalty.

You seem not to give that option much credence.

Because it wasn't a foul challenge or due to the iffy ' I can't make my mind up foul ' on Johnston?
I don’t. No

Because it’s frankly a ridiculous suggestion…

I'm a great believer that VAR in theory is a huge benefit to football and the refereeing of it.

Sadly like most things it has been corrupted to favour certain teams, either through influence, fear, power or whatever.

Do we want a game where all decisions are clear cut or is part of the joy of football being able to argue about perceived biases, wrong doings or just plain cheating by the manky hoards?

May we score 2 more goals than them in the Cup Final in the knowledge that 1 will be most probably be cancelled for some imagined infraction of the rules.

We need to calm the hysteria here ffs, there have been multiple threads on this.

There's no wild conspiracy, it's a clear foul to the filth, the ref after a slight delay clearly awards the foul, there's no penalty award, no VAR intervention etc.
If it was such a clear foul, why did Robertson not blow for it immediately then?

There's no advantage to the filth to be gained by playing on as the ball drops to an Aberdeen player to play back into the box. Robertson thought 'oh shit' and gave the foul so he didn't need to give a penalty.

If that had happened to us, there would be inquests going on right now. Michael Stewart would be on a one man crusade to get the game replayed.

The Refs Don't Cheat Loyal on here need to open their eyes.

If it was such a clear foul, why did Robertson not blow for it immediately then?

There's no advantage to the filth to be gained by playing on as the ball drops to an Aberdeen player to play back into the box. Robertson thought 'oh shit' and gave the foul so he didn't need to give a penalty.

If that had happened to us, there would be inquests going on right now. Michael Stewart would be on a one man crusade to get the game replayed.

The Refs Don't Cheat Loyal on here need to open their eyes.
It was a foul though, and he gave it, no idea why he never blew instantly, doesn't always happen to be fair.

He wouldn't have given the penalty in any case either , so your point is moot.

It was a foul though, and he gave it, no idea why he never blew instantly, doesn't always happen to be fair.

He wouldn't have given the penalty in any case either , so your point is moot.
Mental

Why would a referee play 'advantage' for an attacking team that he believed had just committed a foul?

He shat himself when he saw he might have to give a penalty against the filth, bearing in mind all the nonsense after Tynecastle. He pulls it back and indicates that he's giving the foul which then defeats the VAR check because he will say to the var that he saw the 'foul' so everything after it is immaterial.

It's cheating plain and simple

I don’t. No

Because it’s frankly a ridiculous suggestion…
Watch Robertson in the clip in post #4 from 2.08 onwards.
There's no indication whatsoever of a 'delayed whistle' or he's set to stop play - he looks like he's keeping an eye on what's happening next.

• Delaying the whistle for an offence is only permissible in a very clear attacking situation when a player is about to score a goal or has a clear run into/towards the opponents’ penalty area.
The ball has fallen to McKenzie with a Celtic player closing him down away from the centre of the penalty area.
He, McKenzie, has a host of players between him and the goal.

Not in any way, shape or form a 'very clear attacking situation'.

How is it ridiculous to suggest that Robertson thought no foul then when the play led to a very likely penalty kick for Aberdeen, suddenly a backtracking Robertson decides it was a foul on Johnston.

Mental

Why would a referee play 'advantage' for an attacking team that he believed had just committed a foul?

He shat himself when he saw he might have to give a penalty against the filth, bearing in mind all the nonsense after Tynecastle. He pulls it back and indicates that he's giving the foul which then defeats the VAR check because he will say to the var that he saw the 'foul' so everything after it is immaterial.

It's cheating plain and simple
So if he shat himself then why not just award the foul in the first place?

Not all referees blow right away, that's a fact.

Take your blue tinted specs off ffs and you will see it was a clear foul, that happens against us in an Old Firm semi and we are screaming for a foul, you obviously think otherwise though and want to start crying about cheating and conspiracies though.

Watch Robertson in the clip in post #4 from 2.08 onwards.
There's no indication whatsoever of a 'delayed whistle' or he's set to stop play - he looks like he's keeping an eye on what's happening next.

• Delaying the whistle for an offence is only permissible in a very clear attacking situation when a player is about to score a goal or has a clear run into/towards the opponents’ penalty area.
The ball has fallen to McKenzie with a Celtic player closing him down away from the centre of the penalty area.
He, McKenzie, has a host of players between him and the goal.

Not in any way, shape or form a 'very clear attacking situation'.

How is it ridiculous to suggest that Robertson thought no foul then when the play led to a very likely penalty kick for Aberdeen, suddenly a backtracking Robertson decides it was a foul on Johnston.
host image

At this point here... you think that isn't a very clear attacking situation...

host image

At this point here... you think that isn't a very clear attacking situation...
Eh no.
The reason being McKenzie still has to collect the ball and by that time he does ( about one point five seconds from your freezeframe) O'Brian is in front of him causing him to shift the ball to his right foot then firing towards goal with six or seven players plus Hart between him and the goalline.
About to score a goal or a clear run ?
Frankly a ridiculous suggestion.

Eh no.
The reason being McKenzie still has to collect the ball and by that time he does ( about one point five seconds from your freezeframe) O'Brian is in front of him causing him to shift the ball to his right foot then firing towards goal with six or seven players plus Hart between him and the goalline.
About to score a goal or a clear run ?
Frankly a ridiculous suggestion.
You're basing that answer on what happened...

You don't have that luxury at the time.

That's a ball, breaking to a guy, in the box in acres of space.

I'd expect someone to hit that first time at that point frankly. Even if he turns inside as he does - he still has a fantastic opportunity to curl it in the top corner

But you want the foul blown there... a foul that Robertson twitches for, sees where the ball has broken too, and waits.

To suggest that isn't a clear attacking opportunity, is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've seen on this thread

I'd expect someone to hit that first time at that point frankly. Even if he turns inside as he does - he still has a fantastic opportunity to curl it in the top corner

But you want the foul blown there... a foul that Robertson twitches for, sees where the ball has broken too, and waits.

To suggest that isn't a clear attacking opportunity, is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've seen on this thread

Stop being over dramatic mate to try and make a point

That’s a definite opportunity…… until it’s blocked, Deliberately missing the point though, so if we agree it’s played on for an obvious goal scoring chance why then did Robertson not blow as soon as the lad turned onto his right foot then runs into traffic with his shot being blocked? That ends any debate about having a clear opportunity?

The IFAB law, you provided, doesn’t allow for Robertson to then watch the play go on, we are agreed it’s not a clear open opportunity after that breaks down, see an attacking player being booted through the back of his leg when not facing the goal then go back to that soft contact

You are making some mad excuses here for a ref who clearly bottled it

I'm basing my answer that the ball wasn't bouncing towards Mbappe or any of the Ronaldos but a player who had a pot at scoring and at that point Robertson, having given Aberdeen the widest margin to continue an attack should have blown then if he was delaying until a conclusion or hoping that the attack fizzled out.
See for reference Madden, Parkhead, Bassey spark out in six yard box, Hatate shot.

Last edited:
Has anyone found out exactly what happened.

Has the audio been released.

Robertson was not giving a foul for the “collision” between Johnston and the Aberdeen player. He let play continue correctly, it was only when Carter Vickers fouled the second Aberdeen player did he whistle. He panicked blew the whistle and at the time looked like he was giving a foul to Carter Vickers. He didn’t know what he was doing, I suspect the idiot controlling VAR alerted him to a collision in the box and he went great another get of jail free card.

Play only continues if there is an advantage, celtic had no advantage so there was no reason for him not to blow the whistle.

If they were being honest he gives the penalty correctly and VAR then looks back the passage of play for an offside or a foul.

That did not happen, and I’m surprised I’ve not seen Aberdeen making an official statement, particularly as they had another penalty claim that the referee chose not to give and VAR failed once again to ask him to review it.

U
Has anyone found out exactly what happened.

Has the audio been released.

Robertson was not giving a foul for the “collision” between Johnston and the Aberdeen player. He let play continue correctly, it was only when Carter Vickers fouled the second Aberdeen player did he whistle. He panicked blew the whistle and at the time looked like he was giving a foul to Carter Vickers. He didn’t know what he was doing, I suspect the idiot controlling VAR alerted him to a collision in the box and he went great another get of jail free card.

Play only continues if there is an advantage, celtic had no advantage so there was no reason for him not to blow the whistle.

If they were being honest he gives the penalty correctly and VAR then looks back the passage of play for an offside or a foul.

That did not happen, and I’m surprised I’ve not seen Aberdeen making an official statement, particularly as they had another penalty claim that the referee chose not to give and VAR failed once again to ask him to review it.

He did not at any point give a penalty.

He indicates for a free kick to celtic. He points at Johnstone then up the field towards the Aberdeen half.

Stop being over dramatic mate to try and make a point

That’s a definite opportunity…… until it’s blocked, Deliberately missing the point though, so if we agree it’s played on for an obvious goal scoring chance why then did Robertson not blow as soon as the lad turned onto his right foot then runs into traffic with his shot being blocked? That ends any debate about having a clear opportunity?

The IFAB law, you provided, doesn’t allow for Robertson to then watch the play go on, we are agreed it’s not a clear open opportunity after that breaks down, see an attacking player being booted through the back of his leg when not facing the goal then go back to that soft contact

You are making some mad excuses here for a ref who clearly bottled it
His shot is saved I think by Hart no? So I mean, it's still a decent opportunity on his right foot...

There would be far more credence in folk being fuming at Robertson giving the foul if he blew it at that point. That'd be ludicrous as well you know

We've established out of the other weekend, that said save would still result in it being the same APP - so the foul and the penalty would still be reviewable together at that point...

From the shot being actually hit (bearing in mind Robertson is ultimately looking for that to go in the goal, hence playing on to that point), to the foul by CCV, to the whistle is very little time

Not sure where I'm being overdramatic really. My point, which it has been throughout, is it's good refereeing to let that play out given the opportunity that's there

Its clearly a foul by CCV, the foul by Hoillet, far more debatable - but theres plenty on here that are saying it is a foul. I standby the fact, I think it's soft and I think Johnston buys it - but theres probably enough there that VAR gives that as a foul instead of a penalty anyway

His shot is saved I think by Hart no? So I mean, it's still a decent opportunity on his right foot...

There would be far more credence in folk being fuming at Robertson giving the foul if he blew it at that point. That'd be ludicrous as well you know

We've established out of the other weekend, that said save would still result in it being the same APP - so the foul and the penalty would still be reviewable together at that point...

From the shot being actually hit (bearing in mind Robertson is ultimately looking for that to go in the goal, hence playing on to that point), to the foul by CCV, to the whistle is very little time

Not sure where I'm being overdramatic really. My point, which it has been throughout, is it's good refereeing to let that play out given the opportunity that's there

Its clearly a foul by CCV, the foul by Hoillet, far more debatable - but theres plenty on here that are saying it is a foul. I standby the fact, I think it's soft and I think Johnston buys it - but theres probably enough there that VAR gives that as a foul instead of a penalty anyway

Whole thing is only 6 or 7 seconds so how many seconds after this save is a bit null and void imo, he should have blown exactly then if he truly believed it was a foul and this debate would also be null and void

Feels like we will never agree on this, and that’s fine

It was 3-2 to Celtic at the time and 8 minutes of the game left, so the OP is full of nonsense.

It's also been covered numerous times that the VAR protocol followed was correct. He never awarded a penalty. He awarded a free kick, clearly. He let the attacking phase of play conclude and then they could review if his decision was correct.

Whether it was a foul or not is a different matter, but VAR use was fine.
This is probably correct

U

He did not at any point give a penalty.

He indicates for a free kick to celtic. He points at Johnstone then up the field towards the Aberdeen half.

Who said he gave a penalty ?

He blew 7 seconds after JOHNSTON had flung himself to the ground, and pointed in the direction of Carter Vickers, not JOHNSTON

Take your blue tinted specs off ffs and you will see it was a clear foul, that happens against us in an Old Firm semi and we are screaming for a foul, you obviously think otherwise though and want to start crying about cheating and conspiracies though.
Jeezo mate..

A clear foul????

Because he’s entitled to delay the whistle for a foul in the instance of a clear attacking opportunity… which then ends with Vickers foul on Hoillet

A ball falling to the attacking team, in the box, would probably qualify as that no?

There is absolutely zero conspiracy in the delayed whistle. He believes it’s a foul on Johnston, he’s delayed, the play ends he awards the foul

If he’s wrong on the foul, he’s allowed the opportunity for VAR to get involved.

No rerefereeing, no conspiracy, just (god forbid) a decent passage of refereeing with the technology that’s available
What you say makes sense in theory but I can't think of a single other occasion when the rules have been applied like this.

Sometimes the ball is still in the air from a corner or a free kick and the ref will blow for a free kick to a defender - there's no waiting for the attacking phase of play to play out there.

Think this must be the first time I've ever seen this kind of scenario and wouldn't be surprised if it's the last.

What you say makes sense in theory but I can't think of a single other occasion when the rules have been applied like this.

Sometimes the ball is still in the air from a corner or a free kick and the ref will blow for a free kick to a defender - there's no waiting for the attacking phase of play to play out there.

Think this must be the first time I've ever seen this kind of scenario and wouldn't be surprised if it's the last.
Seen it at Ibrox on several occasions

Usually followed by a thread on here of “why didn’t we get a corner”

He's barged him mid air and not got anywhere near the ball.
Don't think so.
Johnston has not set himself to head the cross and as usual when in that position throws himself to the deck looking for a foul.
As I said earlier, if that's Borna we're not looking for a foul - he's getting it tight for being weak and making a poor decision.

We both know that if that's Tav doing the same as Johnston, then there's a totally different reaction.

Sutton Hartson and Stewart would be banging the drum for the game to be replayed if Robertson did what he did. He'd ignore it and VAR would give a penalty. You know it and I know it.

Yourself and Greig are going out your way to defend the indefensible.

We both know that if that's Tav doing the same as Johnston, then there's a totally different reaction.

Sutton Hartson and Stewart would be banging the drum for the game to be replayed if Robertson did what he did. He'd ignore it and VAR would give a penalty. You know it and I know it.

I’m not defending the decision, I’m just merely suggesting that the process followed from a VAR process makes sense and is decent umpiring

Seen it at Ibrox on several occasions

Usually followed by a thread on here of “why didn’t we get a corner”
So you keep saying.
But since you think Hart blocked McKenzie's shot when it was Aberdeen No19 Sokler I don't trust your observation skills.
No Offence.

Why do you keep bringing Sutton, Hartson and Stewart into it? Like it matters what those 3 dickheads say?

Sutton is a total windup merchant, Stewart would argue black was white, and Hartson is as close to retarded as you can get.

You'll never change your mind despite evidence to the contrary.

So you keep saying.
But since you think Hart blocked McKenzie's shot when it was Aberdeen No19 Sokler I don't trust your observation skills.
No Offence.
It's alright

You think that the situation isn't a clear attacking opportunity, so here we are

It's alright

You think that the situation isn't a clear attacking opportunity, so here we are
Much like the two penalties for Celtic v Hibs, the Johnston handballs v us and Killie and now the farrago from Saturday ( just a few off the top of my head), this season has presented us with some refereeing decisions that I await to see repeated from now on.

Much like the two penalties for Celtic v Hibs, the Johnston handballs v us and Killie and now the farrago from Saturday ( just a few off the top of my head), this season has presented us with some refereeing decisions that I await to see repeated from now on.
Every season presents refereeing mistakes…

The supposed foul on Johnston looks very soft to me, being as impartial as I possibly can.

Two players go up for the ball - no elbows, no knees in the back, no pushing - yet the one with a face like a retarded frog collapses to the ground as if he’s just been tagged by a sniper.

If the roles had been reversed, does anyone genuinely believe The Filth would have been denied a last gasp penalty to save the game because of that innocuous challenge?

Go back to last season when Morelos has his goal chopped off at the Piggery for an imperceptible push only Clancy’s beady eye could spot.

Or again this season at Ibrox when their big dolt of a defender trips over his own feet allowing Dessers to square to Roofe to score only for VAR to spare his blushes with another phantom foul.

And there are plenty of others.

If there’s the slightest doubt - and as we saw at Ibrox a fortnight ago, they’ll take it way back to the other end of the pitch to find if necessary - it will be used to aid the Beasts.

With this in mind, do we really stand any chance at all when we travel to the east end in a couple of weeks time?

Every season presents refereeing mistakes…
The point you can’t answer is why so many VAR-related decisions benefit Celtic.

Other than the award of a penalty to Hearts at Tynecastle (which was probably technically correct and which was balanced by a ridiculous earlier penalty to Celtic) it is hard to see how they’ve been on the wrong side in any marginal decisions. Yet, look at the subsequent media focus on Beaton (VAR) rather than the actual referee Robertson!

The level of bias peaked with Collum’s decision not to instruct Walsh to check on Johnstone’s handball at Parkhead. Referees are clearly under a huge amount of pressure to deny Celtic’s opponents a penalty.

Other than the award of a penalty to Hearts at Tynecastle (which was probably technically correct and which was balanced by a ridiculous earlier penalty to Celtic) it is hard to see how they’ve been on the wrong side in any marginal decisions. Yet, look at the subsequent media focus on Beaton (VAR) rather than the actual referee Robertson!

The level of bias peaked with Collum’s decision not to instruct Walsh to check on Johnstone’s handball at Parkhead. Referees are clearly under a huge amount of pressure to deny Celtic’s opponents a penalty.
Yes, this is the main point that seems to be getting avoided quite scrupulously.

Must admit that reading through this thread has been an absolute eye-opener for me.

Because it’s a forum full of Rangers fans, who see every slightly controversial decision against them as wrong and to the benefit of Celtic etc etc

Come the cold light of the end of the season, across all 38 games that each team plays I think that the genuinely wrong decisions will be very few

I meen, this one isn’t even a VAR decision, and even on here there are folk split on whether or not it’s a foul on Johnstone… it’s a subjective game and folk have opinions

But as I say, referees make mistakes. It’s human nature.

It’s not some big massive conspiracy

Because it’s a forum full of Rangers fans, who see every slightly controversial decision against them as wrong and to the benefit of Celtic etc etc

Come the cold light of the end of the season, across all 38 games that each team plays I think that the genuinely wrong decisions will be very few

I meen, this one isn’t even a VAR decision, and even on here there are folk split on whether or not it’s a foul on Johnstone… it’s a subjective game and folk have opinions

But as I say, referees make mistakes. It’s human nature.

It’s not some big massive conspiracy

Explain why it has been VAR that has awarded us stonewall penalties this season as opposed to referees in real time?

One or two might be mistakes? But ten or eleven?

Plus, you still couldn't answer the question.

Why are so many VAR-related decisions to the benefit of Celtic?

Explain why it has been VAR that has awarded us stonewall penalties this season as opposed to referees in real time?

One or two might be mistakes? But ten or eleven?

Plus, you still couldn't answer the question.

Why are so many VAR-related decisions to the benefit of Celtic?
This has been done to death - and I say the same every time

Outside of the first one at St Johnstone (and it was the assistant that was adamant that wasn’t a pen btw) how many of them would you have “expected” to be given in real time… the Silva one at Ibrox possibly, but I think by that point rightly or wrongly there was a boy who cried wolf attitude towards him from Beaton… that’s why VAR is there

How many of them did you see, were 100% certain of, and weren’t just speculative shouts

But I guess those aren’t VAR decisions that benefit Rangers no?

I have answered it, I’ve said that it’s your perception. Whether or not it’s actually the case that they get a seemingly larger benefit from VAR or not, I’d be highly sceptical of

This has been done to death - and I say the same every time

Outside of the first one at St Johnstone (and it was the assistant that was adamant that wasn’t a pen btw) how many of them would you have “expected” to be given in real time… the Silva one at Ibrox possibly, but I think by that point rightly or wrongly there was a boy who cried wolf attitude towards him from Beaton… that’s why VAR is there

How many of them did you see, were 100% certain of, and weren’t just speculative shouts

But I guess those aren’t VAR decisions that benefit Rangers no?

I have answered it, I’ve said that it’s your perception. Whether or not it’s actually the case that they get a seemingly larger benefit from VAR or not, I’d be highly sceptical of

The Assistant was not adamant of anything, he like pretty much every official in Scotland is scared to give us a decision. The ref looked at him, he looked at the ref both knew it was a clear penalty but thought nah I’m not putting my name to that VAR can.

From memory the Kent penalty that Clancy initially booked him for diving at St Mirren immediately after VAR came in stands out. It was as clear as day, and as clear as day highlighted a referee with an agenda. Also at St Mirren Park, Butland was claiming for a handball from the opposite end of the park, I was standing directly behind him.

I like a good balanced debate and as you are quite vocal on these types of threads you clearly must have enough evidence to back up your views. How many of the penalties awarded to us in domestic football, since the introduction of VAR, have been given by a ref or by VAR, and the same totals for penalties awarded against us ?

Back