Prolific SquareMile

A squre mile in the East End of Glasgow has produced, imo, an unprecidented footballers to haveplayed in the top division of both Englad and Scotland and in some cases both
The square mile from Parkhead to the Calton and Dennistoun to Bridgeton
Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Is there anywhere else in Scotland can beat this
There will be more and it will be impressive.
However, wouldn't it also be the most numerous population density area in the land as well?

The same square mile probably had the most high schools, tenements, pubs and bookies of anywhere in the country - not much else to do but kick a ball or get a job in a factory

A squre mile in the East End of Glasgow has produced, imo, an unprecidented footballers to haveplayed in the top division of both Englad and Scotland and in some cases both
Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others

Thought McLeish was from Barrhead?

Edit... Just seen your reply to another poster Robert.

Last edited:
Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
thats nothing
one close produced eleven lisbon lions
apparently

There are a lot more from the East End but I only included he ones that played at rthe highest level in Scotland and England
I have no ide who some of these guys are, the first six are well known
Were they all born locally?
Yes, all born within a mile of Kingsridge school. I'm only citing the ones from the school although there were others from the district that played at the top level. Every one that I mentioned played at the top level in Scotland at one stage

Yes, all born within a mile of Kingsridge school. I'm only citing the ones from the school although there were others from the district that played at the top level. Every one that I mentioned played at the top level in Scotland at one stage
Have to say all grew up in Drumchapel and went to that secondary school

McLeish is Barrhead surely? He might have been born in the east end but surely he learned his football skills in Barrhead.

Too many tims in that list, gerry collins ffs.
I thought the east end was a prod stronghold.
Most on the list are average at best.

Born in the Gallowgate in 1966
as a 6/7year old I can vaguely remember Tommy Burns coming into my grandads shop
we moved up to Dennistoun ,Joe Miller stayed next close to me ,he was a fud as a kid and hardly had any friends
Alex Rae stayed just along from from me and was 3 years below me at my high school

and for good measure Ford Kiernan stayed across the road from me and he was a fud also as a kid :D :D

Yes there is. Kingsridge secondary school in Drumchapel. Alex Miller, Danny McGrain, Andy Gray. John Mac Donald, Gregor Stevens, Kenny McDowall, Gary McDowall, Jimmy Brand Brian Thom, Neil Howie, Gordon Soutar, Jake King, John Arroll,Jim Wilson, Charlie West,Rab McGinn, Davie Booth among

Rab McGinn lives in Sydney now and just missed the cut for Australia at the 1974 World cup in West Germany. Had a decent Pro/ semi Pro career in NSW. His wee brother Gordon ( Gudgie ) wasn't bad either.

Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
There's probably a block of flats in Germany that can do better

Rab McGinn lives in Sydney now and just missed the cut for Australia at the 1974 World cup in West Germany. Had a decent Pro/ semi Pro career in NSW. His wee brother Gordon ( Gudgie ) wasn't bad either.
I know where Rab lives, he's been there for many years as has Brian Thom who I think is in Melbourne, could be wrong about that though

Correct that is why the EPL is full of Africans. And most other leagues going same way.
Most of the best players coming out of Scotland say pre 1960 where from coal mining villages and towns.
Hence why most came from Ayrshire, Fife and Lanarkshire.

Born in the Gallowgate in 1966
as a 6/7year old I can vaguely remember Tommy Burns coming into my grandads shop
we moved up to Dennistoun ,Joe Miller stayed next close to me ,he was a fud as a kid and hardly had any friends
Alex Rae stayed just along from from me and was 3 years below me at my high school

and for good measure Ford Kiernan stayed across the road from me and he was a fud also as a kid :D :D
Very unusual name for a prod - Ford Kiernan.
Especially back then, maybe his da liked cars.

Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Graham Dorrans

Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Glenbuck in Ayrshire must be more prolific.Just from 1870-1931 the Cherrypickers produced 53 professional players.And Bill Shankly never even played for them.

Very unusual name for a prod - Ford Kiernan.
Especially back then, maybe his da liked cars.
Tbh

Never really thought about his name being usual or uncommon ,as I said as a kid he was a bit of a fud and a loner,he moved from the area about 12 and the next time I saw him was about 30 years later on tv

Rangers being situated in Glasgow and with the population has been poor on producing players especially Rangers captains.
Gough, Barry Ferguson, Grieg, Caldow, Shearer and George Young were from outwith.

Working class boys.
I’d say it was an even spread over all working class areas,however the mining stock always seemed to have that bit of grit.
The pits or football.
I would say they were more determined to keep out of that life.
My family is from mining stock and pre 1945 before it became nationalised , it was as hard a life as you could get imo

The pits or football.
I would say they were more determined to keep out of that life.
My family is from mining stock and pre 1945 before it became nationalised , it was as hard a life as you could get imo
Football offers a way out. You don't need to come from a rich family, you get judged primarily on your abilities as a footballer. All you need is a space to play and a ball. Jim Baxter came from a mining village and learned to play by hitting the ball off the wall of his house.

Stevie Thompson and Barry Lavety grew up on the same street in the Renfrewshire town of Houston I believe. Not bad considering the place’s demographics.

No doubt other places will have produced players that lived on the same street at the same time but surely they will be far bigger?

Sorry missed Miller, Alex McLeish was born in Duke Street Hospital and his first family home wasParkhead, they then moved to Kinning Park and on to Bar

Why, I find it quite interesting, sorry you don't agee
It is very interesting and quite remarkable to some extent.
Good on you @Robert Marshall
I’ve learned something this evening.

Great post
would add how many top junior players did the square mile produce in era of top level junior standard.
then there is how many great players never made it cause of where they came from.

No modern day players (i don't think the village really exists anymore) but Glenbuck has to be up there. Huge amount of players that played in the top flight in Scotland and England for such a small place.

Only me and Walter were the good players from Carmyle
I had a chat with Walter before one of the Q and A he done for us
He then comes outwith ( while on the mike )
'Myself and Robert have three things in common, both from he East end, both Sparks by trade and both Shite at football'
Not only am absouloute gentleman but could laugh at himself as well ( and me )

Rab, who do you reckon was the best among that lot?
Ian won the most medals by a mile, so I would go with him.
Miller and Mcleish were a class act, Tam Burns had a decent career.
Jim Melrose signed for Jock Wallace at Leicester and scored the winner against Liverpool, had a decent career. Joc was Jim's eldest sons Godfather, plus Jim grew up with me so was nice to see him doing well, but not when he came home

Alex Cairns (Kilmarnock) Alex Beckett ( ST Mirren) both came from dennistoun
Wullie Bud Johnston visited his Auntie ( mrs Florence) in Barrack St (Dennistoun) most days after Training and stayed there often

Back