PSV forum

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
obviously haven't met any Norwegians on holiday , the ones i've met took arrogance to a different level

The harder the match the better. I want Rangers players to be up for this from the first minute of the the first game. I want them to know and expect a hard match. There's no fcukin about then.

I can slightly understand their confidence given the quality of squad they have but they've definitely under performed in Europe last few seasons.

18/19 was the last time they made the CL groups, failing to record a win. Since then they have been knocked out of CL qualifiers by Basel and Benfica, knocked out EL by Olympiacos and lost Conference League semi final to Leicester.

I would say we are a better side than the Basel and Olympiacos teams who have knocked them out of Europe recently, so there is no reason we shouldn't fancy our chances.

Second leg being at home is a big advantage for them though, they fed off the energy of their fans last night to get them over the line

I can slightly understand their confidence given the quality of squad they have but they've definitely under performed in Europe last few seasons.

18/19 was the last time they made the CL groups, failing to record a win. Since then they have been knocked out of CL qualifiers by Basel and Benfica, knocked out EL by Olympiacos and lost Conference League semi final to Leicester.

I would say we are a better side than the Basel and Olympiacos teams who have knocked them out of Europe recently, so there is no reason we shouldn't fancy our chances.

Second leg being at home is a big advantage for them though, they fed off the energy of their fans last night to get them over the line
This, its been our advantage over several ties too recently

We can't win the tie at Ibrox, but we have to generate a similar atmosphere to last night and hopefully drive on a good result

We're capable of taking a 2 goal lead to Eindhoven, we might need it

They are a good team and have made some excellent transfers.

They are very rigid in their formation a bit like Warburton. Should be a good match in all honesty. We need to make a statement at Ibrox before going there clean sheet and a couple of goals I hope.

I can't understand why people wouldn't think that. The Philips Stadion holds 35K and RVN has seen / done it all. I dont agree teams 'fold' at Ibrox, our atmosphere is 2nd to none but players are professional and used to intimidating atmospheres.
Im sure the one of the Feyenoord players came out after the game and said they were spooked by the atmosphere and it really affected their play. Feyenoord players would be no strangers to a good atmosphere so I think it plays a bigger part for the players than some might realise.

I really can't understand why you'd think that, since far better teams than them folded under the pressure earlier this year.
I remember a PSV forum from 1999. They were amazed at the Ibrox atmosphere in the 4-1 game. I remember the PSV fans making a racket before the game when very few bears were in the stadium. Once the teams appeared for kickoff you never heard them again.

Leipzig, Porto, Dortmund, Braga, Red Star, Feyenoord all thought the same the last few years
To be honest I think only red star seemed to be actually adversely affected by the crowd amongst all they teams.

Did we spur our players on, absolutely 100% but I dont think you can say Dortmund or leipzig were 'spooked' or couldnt handle the atmosphere.

PSV game will be the same in my opinion, they will not be fazed but on the other hand we can definitely drive our own team on.

'Of course everyone mentions the Europa League final because it catches the eye, but I do think that it was a big goodbye. I don't think they are that good, but they have won their matches on character. By comparison, they were kicked out of Champions League qualifiers by Malmo last year and finished second in the Scottish league'.

Coming from a supporter of a team who exited three competitions in Europe. A record they share with Timothy and they finished 2nd in Dutch league.

Nonsense. Next you'll be saying we are easier than Braga, who pumped Monaco last season prior to meeting us then proceeded to recieve the biggest hosing we dished out at home in all of the knock out stages we played. Which of Rangers, PSV and Monaco is ranked highest? Which of the 3 were in a European final last season? Which of the 3 have progressed from the group stages 3 years on the trot? I'll give you a clue, the answer starts with R, not P or M. We are the world leaders of downplaying our own achievements and quality of our squad. Is it going to be easy? No. Yet we will probably go in as clear favourites for the tie and justifiably so.
And breathe. We should be an easier game.

Lost 2 of our best players. Our best striker isnt fit. Our backup striker isnt fit. 2 of our 3 first choice CHs arent fit and one of the backups isnt fit. Our keeper situation is pretty sketchy. We should be easier.

We wont be. But in their minds we should be.

That right? Funny how experienced opposition that come undone always seem to mention it.

To be fair GVB always comments positively regards other fans, their stadia and atmosphere.

I agree, ours is special. I agree its a factor in winning matches. But I just think this will be less of a factor with PSV as they have the advantage playing the 2ng on their own turf and the Philips Stadion atmosphere is also known to be very good.

Still hope we pump them home and away.

I can't understand why people wouldn't think that. The Philips Stadion holds 35K and RVN has seen / done it all. I dont agree teams 'fold' at Ibrox, our atmosphere is 2nd to none but players are professional and used to intimidating atmospheres.
Haha. I'm guessing you are too young to remember us playing PSV in 1999 and RVN comments about how the atmosphere spooked them

Nonsense. Next you'll be saying we are easier than Braga, who pumped Monaco last season prior to meeting us then proceeded to recieve the biggest hosing we dished out at home in all of the knock out stages we played. Which of Rangers, PSV and Monaco is ranked highest? Which of the 3 were in a European final last season? Which of the 3 have progressed from the group stages 3 years on the trot? I'll give you a clue, the answer starts with R, not P or M. We are the world leaders of downplaying our own achievements and quality of our squad. Is it going to be easy? No. Yet we will probably go in as clear favourites for the tie and justifiably so.
In your dreams. We may have a decent chance but they will be clear favourites for the tie (with the bookies I mean).

We will probably be very slight favourites for the home leg.

And breathe. We should be an easier game.

Lost 2 of our best players. Our best striker isnt fit. Our backup striker isnt fit. 2 of our 3 first choice CHs arent fit and one of the backups isnt fit. Our keeper situation is pretty sketchy. We should be easier.

We wont be. But in their minds we should be.
Breathing fine B-)

Those are good, valid, reasoned points you make above and if you'd made them in the initial post it wouldn't have received quite as strong a response. However, I doubt Van Nistelroy will consider us easier opposition than Monaco even if their fans do. I think he will view the game in the context I've highlighted above. A higher ranked opponent who have performed exceptionally and consistently well in Europe for the past 4 years culminating in a European final and having knocked out or remained undefeated against far higher ranked opposition compared to ourselves or them throughout that time period. A far better recent record than either themselves or Monaco can boast. We are still the harder opposition of the two imo.

In your dreams. We may have a decent chance but they will be clear favourites for the tie (with the bookies I mean).

We will probably be very slight favourites for the home leg.
I think you might be surprised. They'd be favourites to qualify based on what in your opinion? Their name? We are bigger. Historical meetings between the sides? Nope, we have the better record there. Higher ranking? Nope, us again. Recent record in Europe? Nope, yet again that's us. Seeded for the round? Nope, that'll be us and Benfica. If they were to base their odds solely on which team have the higher squad value on Transfermarket or where the 2nd leg is played then they will possibly have them ahead of us. Everything else points to us. The odds will be very close I'd imagine as they are a very good team and the tie is a 50/50 job but don't see the bookies having them as favourites, at least initially.

If even 1 or 2 players get spooked by 1 or 2 % by the atmosphere it makes a massive difference. Because it absolutely drives our players on and they get a significant boost from it. 5 or 10% courage and intensity for some. At that level those are massive changes in your favour that you can't account for. Particularly with the reactive nature of our crowd. It makes moments. Moments win matches.

Will be 2 tough games, saw highlights of their win over Monaco, need to keep an eye on Veerman, he scored a good goal and his passing was impressive, we need to keep him quiet

Van Nistelrooy will have them prepared he was in their side in 1999 that got scuttled 4-1 at Ibrox after we heard the same pish.

Van Nistelrooy will have them prepared he was in their side in 1999 that got scuttled 4-1 at Ibrox after we heard the same pish.
Tbh I had a read at their forum and most of them are pretty complimentary towards us. I dont think there is any chance of either side underestimating the other

Most were saying on here avoid Monaco , look at how much they have spent , And now PSV are through they think they are favourites . Probably due to squad cost , it’s an argument I haven’t seen used in teams of a comparable level . Just count up who costs the most , and ignore things like UEFA rankings of which we are 17 places above them .

To be honest I think only red star seemed to be actually adversely affected by the crowd amongst all they teams.

Did we spur our players on, absolutely 100% but I dont think you can say Dortmund or leipzig were 'spooked' or couldnt handle the atmosphere.

PSV game will be the same in my opinion, they will not be fazed but on the other hand we can definitely drive our own team on.

Leipzig were definitely spooked. Their manager admitted as much. He said it was the best atmosphere he ever heard. Given that German football is renowned for its atmosphere that’s quite the compliment. If Aribo had scored that chance at 2-0 we have taken 5 off them as they were all over the place at that stage.

I’ve been following Rangers 45 years and the Leipzig game was the best atmosphere I’ve ever heard, anywhere.

Didn’t Carvahal say that his Braga players were affected by the atmosphere? Sure I remember reading that somewhere.

Run of the mill league games at Ibrox are usually very quiet, but in big European nights Ibrox can be an absolute cauldron.

Imagine basing your assumptions on that Transfer Market website, what a riddy.

Hope we do to them what we did back in the Van Nistelrooy days and destroy them at Ibrox.
This. Especially as Monaco have a much higher squad valuation and PSV beat them... yet they are confident they'll beat us on that basis?

Back