PSV - the return leg

They had us well worked out and we barely created a chance. No shame in it as but I honestly felt they were a level overall above us . Looked so comfortable and made the crowd silent very quickly
Next week is a final. The good thing is the away goals don't count the way they used to.
It would have been great going over there with a goal advantage, but would we have tried and defended our lead, it ain't over yet, No Surrender

n, but would we have tried and defend our lead

Felt we needed at least a 1 goal, but preferably 2 goal lead to take over there.

I can't see us doing it now tbh. We aren't great away from home in Europe.

Said as much on here last week but was told by a couple folk it's fine as we can rely on Ibrox. Well not this time we can't

I don't think we have any chance next week. I don't really care who thinks what of that either on a message board or not.

If you've got a problem with that then tough shit tbh.
Don't have a problem as such just tyatvits a fact you're absolutely wrong.

They will come out the traps from kick off and come at us to kill the game off full of confidence from last night. Our defending from corners is shocking and we now have 3 CBs injured, don’t know when Davies is back and if he’s even start which is another worry at £4m! At 1-1 I said we needed a 3-1 to take there on the match thread. We played well in spells but they were better overall. Realistically I don’t see us beating them at their own ground.

Don't have a problem as such just tyatvits a fact you're absolutely wrong.
I'm wrong to think we won't go through and that's a fact :))

I get it, you're the biggest Rangers supporter on the planet and take great offence to that. Super staunch n aw that.

I get it, you're the biggest Rangers supporter on the planet and take great offence to that. Super staunch n aw that.
You aren't allowed an opinion on here, our away form would suggest PSV will be strong favourites at home.

Will be interesting to see how GVB approaches it.

Pray I’m wrong but I think we’ve had it tbh , could be 2/3 deficit over there
That’s a very negative way to look at mate ffs!

We all said before the game there wasn’t much between the sides and last nights game just backed that up, it was very even.

It’s all to play for next week. Monaco played them off the park over their and PSV needed a last minute equaliser to take it to extra time.

This is far from over.

I get that we want to qualify next week for the money and getting back into the champions league but football wise give me the europa league any day where teams look more our level. Perhaps the atmosphere was as good as ever last night but everyone in the crowd just looked nervous.

There's part of me that thinks the draw, with no away goals in play, is going to benefit us more than a one goal win.

With a narrow win, Gio would have been tempted to shut up shop like he has done in almost every away European game. Think Red Star for the last time we played at home first and went over there with a lead.

The draw means we will at least need to carry some threat.

They had us well worked out and we barely created a chance. No shame in it as but I honestly felt they were a level overall above us . Looked so comfortable and made the crowd silent very quickly

Utter nonsense. Barely created a chance yet we somehow scored twice and had 7 shots on target.

This is PSV, we're not playing against Scottish dross where we dominate the full game.

I'm not overly confident in all honesty.

Our away for in Europe isn't great and I felt we had to take some sort of lead of there to qualify.

Defensively we're struggling once again with Davies not fit.. that position is like a curse for us.

PSV were nowhere near as good a team as I thought they were. They are there for the taking next week.
I agree, but I think we have structural issues in defence. Can they be sorted in a week?
Not so sure.
Also the zonal marking stuff, has never and will never work.

They don't play this weekend so they have a full week to recover and prepare.
They'll be all over us from the start looking for an early goal. We'll need to play
a near perfect game to go through.
I'm afraid Goldson doesn't cut it against teams that press high. He's a bombscare
at times.

Arrrrggggghh you stated we have no chance. A bit different. Clearly you know you are wrong.

Utter nonsense. Barely created a chance yet we somehow scored twice and had 7 shots on target.

This is PSV, we're not playing against Scottish dross where we dominate the full game.
outwith the colak chance at the start of the second half we didnt create another decent chance in the game. Stats can be manipulated

Felt we needed at least a 1 goal, but preferably 2 goal lead to take over there.

I can't see us doing it now tbh. We aren't great away from home in Europe.

Said as much on here last week but was told by a couple folk it's fine as we can rely on Ibrox. Well not this time we can't
We haven't played well away in Europe since Dortmund so it's about time we did.

We should be going over with a lead to protect, but I think that 2nd goal last night will cost us the tie

Realistically, we are probably looking at having to score 3 goals to see us through, as there is no chance we will keep a clean sheet

You aren't allowed an opinion on here, our away form would suggest PSV will be strong favourites at home.

Will be interesting to see how GVB approaches it.

You’re allowed an opinion, the opinion that it will be tough and we’re underdogs is one most would share

For him to say “we don’t have a chance” is just ridiculous.

If no underdog ever upset the odds, sport wouldn’t be much fun would it ?

We are still in this its a one off game we can win. They are confident and on paper the better side but if we up our game on the night and take our chances we CAN go through.
The odds may not be with us but that does not decide the result.

Tie was 50/50 to begin with and remains that way. We are capable of scoring goals over there.

You’re allowed an opinion, the opinion that it will be tough and we’re underdogs is one most would share

For him to say “we don’t have a chance” is just ridiculous.

If no underdog ever upset the odds, sport wouldn’t be much fun would it ?
Aye I agree his wording wasn't great.

There was a lot of tension in the game last night the team looked nervy at times and made mistakes . The crowd also had tension you could feel it in the stands that tension now shifts to PSV and their crowd.

A week to prepare for them there will be huge expectations on PSV to win . I think we have a decent chance but it will need a good game plan and players performing at their best .

I won't for a minute under estimate their quality & strength
They're more than decent in most areas & they also have a bit of 'savvy' about them -

Whether they're better than those we've managed to see off before - I'm not so
sure ?

We've missed a chance last night & the task is harder now - but there may still be a few things in our favour

Both teams have to score to go through
So our counter attacking style might be given a few more chances as a result
I could see Alfie being key - if he's fit
With all due respect to Colak - he's not the type to play the same role

They also showed last night they can have defensive frailties & have errors in them
It's up to us to exploit this

The other thing will be - the pressure & expectation will be on them more than us IMO

We can still do this

Feck all to do with being staunch, it’s realistic, the game last night was very even.

For you to suggest we have no chance is just embarrassing.

He’s not the only one.
The near-hysteria over a draw with PSV Eindhoven is mental.

You’d genuinely think we were 2 or 3 down.
I can hear them now in near tears saying to that “we may aswell be”.

It’s that pathetic win-win situation they love to put themselves in aswell that gets on my tits.
Get put out and they get to gleefully tell you they knew it, get through and they get to gleefully tell you how happy to be wrong they are.

We have some right defeatist supporters. Folk claiming we have no chance, claiming we were poor last night, saying that the stats are wrong. F*ck me, what happened to No Surrender?
With fans like these we should just give up and concede the tie.
Absolute nonsense! Of course we have a chance. 2-2 isn’t a defeat. They have a slight advantage, that’s all. We are capable of beating them
If that’s staunch, then so what!

Dundee Hibs beat a Dutch team at home.
They found to their cost that it's a whole new ball game away.
I think we needed a win to have any chance of qualifying.
Our defense has cost us big time.

Feck all to do with being staunch, it’s realistic, the game last night was very even.

For you to suggest we have no chance is just embarrassing.
Embarrassing to who? The whole forum collectively?

If not for a stroke of luck we'd be going into the 2nd leg 2-1 behind and no one would be complaining. They'll create more at home and likely be more clinical.

I was surprised looking at the stats at half time and full time that the figures (other than the result) favoured us. I agree with a previous poster that possession stats can be misleading as some of ours is this slow build up from the back and passing across our defensive line.

I thought PSV looked quite impressive with their passing in the first half and we seemed to slip out of the game when Steve Davis began to toil. They are a big athletic team who are not afraid to mix it physically.

The big disappointment for me was we could not keep our lead. If one of our defenders scored a goal similar to their second, we would be raving about it but there is a problem with our defending corners and cross balls. They can be cut open though as the build up to Colak’s goal proves.

They will be favourites to go through but we are not out of this. Hopefully they think they are through which may play into our hands.

The commentators commented a few times about how they are as weak defensively as us. We will score over there but can we improve our defensive frailties.

Realistically, PSV should win the tie. The one bright moment was that we were the only team to score from open play. They scored from 2 corners. If, a big if, we can snatch a lead and defend like hell, we have a slim chance of going through. Key is to flood the midfield. Mind you, we did that in Belgium and it didn’t work. Have to minimise set pieces, especially corners. Is it because we are using zonal and not man-marking? Sort out defence, cancel them out in midfield and let Colak score the winner.

Embarrassing to who? The whole forum collectively?

If not for a stroke of luck we'd be going into the 2nd leg 2-1 behind and no one would be complaining. They'll create more at home and likely be more clinical.
No, you are just embarrassing yourself with your crap.

Must be hard work being so negative.

See this whole "we haven't played well away in Europe since Dortmund" argument, I don't really get it.

We maybe haven't won away in Europe since then, but Belgrade and Leipzig were both decent enough performances despite them ending in narrow defeats, the first of which was an injury time penalty that mattered little in the end. A slight improvement on any of these performances in Eindhoven could easily see us nick a goal lead and qualify.

If we score first over there then the pressure on PSV will be massive. It's going to be a tough game over there but certainly not beyond us. Set pieces seriously need addressed though.

It was always going to be a tough ask & nothing has really changed as we are still in this tie.
If we'd lost 1-0 away we'd have all been happy coming nack to Ibrox & last nights result would have saw us go out.

Maybe just maybe on this occasion the 2nd leg being away might actually help us.

We have nothing to defend but also need to win so hopefully we play in a style that suits us & with PSV being at home the onus from their fans will be to take the game to us & that just might work in our favour.

My main concern is that the defence & midfield don't sit on top of each other as we did last night in the 2nd half which prevented an outball & caused alot of our problems
We need to go there and be confident in possession with people's heads up & people wanting the ball
If we can nullify their No.6 I think that will play a large part un any success we have

Not sure what to expect next week, thought 2-2 was a fair result last night but of course definitely puts them in a more favourable position. They looked a decent side, but not a great side, no reason why we can't go over there and get a win.

Thank god there's no away goals anymore.

Seems little point in trying anything other than attacking them and going for a win off the bat.

Playing defensive and waiting to see how the game unfolds will surely play right into PSV's hands.
I agree. We are not good at trying to sit in.

We are at our best going for it, and I think that’s what we will do, most of our last games away have been the first leg and I think Gio has set us up defensively, knowing that we can always beat most teams at Ibrox.

This will force us to be more aggressive than normal. Monaco played PSV off the park away and we’re unlucky not to win so why can’t we?

We shot ourselves in the foot last night defensively, two dreadful goals to lose. The first was on a par with our second, just shouldn't have happened really.

With them at home, we are underdogs.

It's not beyond us, but it will require a big pefomance at a team level, not one slacker or bad performance.
Gio needs to tweak us if anyone isn't running through walls next week.

One off game. They are a good side, at home so will probably be favourites but we aren't miles away from them quality wise.

Little bit of luck and who knows. I wouldn't bet on us but I'm hopeful.

Back