Questions and Advice needed ahead of my first ever Rangers game

AdamGers

Hi fellow Gers, against Hearts it will be my first ever Rangers home game(always struggled for tickets and only just found this forum recently) I'm now a MyGers Member so tickets will be no problem for this one so I'll finally be able to enter Ibrox and head to my first ever Rangers game!!!! I just wanted to post some questions in seek of advice to maximise my experience.

It looks to me like that Sauchiehall Street is the only place to be for the nightlife? I'm wanting nightclubs, bars and at least one chippy nearby!

As for bars, the Spoons in George Square I definitely will head to as I always do when in Glasgow, the Merchant and the Walkabout look pretty decent, anyone here is sure to recommend some more I'm sure and offer their opinions on these bars.

In terms of sightseeing, I've always found that apart from George Square and Buchanan Street there really isn't much else to see in Glasgow(apologies if that offends anyone)

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese restaurant that is well priced and not one of those City places which charge you a tenner for a curry with no rice, by the time you've paid for the rice and drink it's almost mid £20 range!

My hotel seems to be in a great location, I've not been in that exact area of Glasgow before but it looks to me that it's a 10-15 min walk down to George Square and maybe 10 mins max to say Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street.

As for matchday, how easy will it be to get into the Louden Tavern, is there a capacity limit and how easy is it getting served in there? I want to be in there to soak up the atmosphere and have a good sing along pre-match. I'm fully vaccinated but am wary of how long it may take to enter the ground.

Following the game, how bad are the queues at Ibrox station and how long will I be waiting? It takes you back to Buchanan Street so I'll be back in the centre quickly once on a subway train back.

Matchday programmes- these are sold online via the club by the looks of things so hopefully I'll be able to order one before I depart North on the Friday.

Apologies for the long post, I appreciate and thank every single one of you who replies to this, I am very excited for next weekend and cannot wait. (I come into Queen Street by train, if that helps anyone re my hotel location, it looks like a 15 min walk to my hotel from there)

One more thing, it looks like my walk back to the hotel will be on Buchanan Street and then right at Costa, given this is mostly a high street(Buchanan Street) I am a tad worried that this area could be unsafe at night with lone people about who are of a bad sort etc so to speak.

I don't carry cash nowadays so taxis in Glasgow may not take contactless in their cabs so taxis unlikely to be an option.

Thanks,
Adam.

Last edited:
Savoy on Sauchiehall Street it’s the local cattle market, the chippy at your hotel is called the Oxford your hotel is a 5 min walk to Sauchiehall street

Mate forget the Chinese reaturants the drinking in Sauchiehall street , get yourself to the louden or the wee club before the match after match take a pub crawl along prw the bel rock district , grapes Union and the quayside by the time you do that you will be ready for bed

Good luck Adam - you will get some great advice on this forum.
Savoy on Sauchiehall Street it’s the local cattle market, the chippy at your hotel is called the Oxford your hotel is a 5 min walk to Sauchiehall street
Totally agree B-D

Btw, throw your bags in your room, head to Ibrox, have beer or two, then let the day flow. %^*& planning shit.

Totally agree B-D

Btw, throw your bags in your room, head to Ibrox, have beer or two, then let the day flow. %^*& planning shit.
Someone better tell him taxis are non existent in Glasgow these days I went for a few beers in the Auctioneers last night after the game and had tae stout to Great Western Road before I got 1

Get out to Ibrox using the subway early, around ten. Wander around the stadium and get loads of pictures of our magnificent home to get your bearings, were your gate is, way back to the Louden and subway etc, (you’ll need that later). Drinks in the Louden till game time then REMEMBER where your turnstile is.
GAME ON.
Louden, subway, city centre, bed.

Enjoy! :):)

Get out to Ibrox using the subway early, around ten. Wander around the stadium and get loads of pictures of our magnificent home to get your bearings, were your gate is, way back to the Louden and subway etc, (you’ll need that later). Drinks in the Louden till game time then REMEMBER where your turnstile is.
GAME ON.
Louden, subway, city centre, bed.

Enjoy! :):)
Top man. B-D

Main tip. Smuggle in your drinks and snacks as the kiosks are a legendary riot of a shambles. Enjoy mate, I'm biased but nowhere is like Ibrox.

You can get match day programmes outside the stadium, but you’ll need cash. Also if you want any food from the food vans outside Ibrox you’ll need cash, otherwise you’ll be waiting in a line for a while once in Ibrox.

Your best bet for the subway is to wait for the final whistle B-D

If you struggle with the louden, there’s plenty of pubs along paisley road west but I’m sure you’ll be able to get in there

Ah I see you know your judo well.

Don't know why but I pished myself at "The Walkabout"

Adam - don't bother with the subway back in right after the game. As a few posters have said start off in the Louden after the match and then walk up Paisley Road West heading for town and stopping into each pub you see that has rangers fans in it. Before you know it you'll be 5 mins from central station and fairly merry.

Enjoy!

Hi fellow Gers, against Hearts it will be my first ever Rangers home game(always struggled for tickets and only just found this forum recently) I'm now a MyGers Member so tickets will be no problem for this one so I'll finally be able to enter Ibrox and head to my first ever Rangers game!!!! I just wanted to post some questions in seek of advice to maximise my experience.

It looks to me like that Sauchiehall Street is the only place to be for the nightlife? I'm wanting nightclubs, bars and at least one chippy nearby!

As for bars, the Spoons in George Square I definitely will head to as I always do when in Glasgow, the Merchant and the Walkabout look pretty decent, anyone here is sure to recommend some more I'm sure and offer their opinions on these bars.

In terms of sightseeing, I've always found that apart from George Square and Buchanan Street there really isn't much else to see in Glasgow(apologies if that offends anyone)

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese restaurant that is well priced and not one of those City places which charge you a tenner for a curry with no rice, by the time you've paid for the rice and drink it's almost mid £20 range!

My hotel seems to be in a great location, I've not been in that exact area of Glasgow before but it looks to me that it's a 10-15 min walk down to George Square and maybe 10 mins max to say Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street.

As for matchday, how easy will it be to get into the Louden Tavern, is there a capacity limit and how easy is it getting served in there? I want to be in there to soak up the atmosphere and have a good sing along pre-match. I'm fully vaccinated but am wary of how long it may take to enter the ground.

Following the game, how bad are the queues at Ibrox station and how long will I be waiting? It takes you back to Buchanan Street so I'll be back in the centre quickly once on a subway train back.

Matchday programmes- these are sold online via the club by the looks of things so hopefully I'll be able to order one before I depart North on the Friday.

Apologies for the long post, I appreciate and thank every single one of you who replies to this, I am very excited for next weekend and cannot wait. (I come into Queen Street by train, if that helps anyone re my hotel location, it looks like a 15 min walk to my hotel from there)

One more thing, it looks like my walk back to the hotel will be on Buchanan Street and then right at Costa, given this is mostly a high street(Buchanan Street) I am a tad worried that this area could be unsafe at night with lone people about who are of a bad sort etc so to speak.

I don't carry cash nowadays so taxis in Glasgow may not take contactless in their cabs so taxis unlikely to be an option.

Thanks,
Adam.
There's plenty of bars around the top end of Sauchiehall Street and around Bath Street which runs parallel.The Merchant City area near George Square has lots of bars,not up to speed on the night club scene though.
Loads of museums and art galleries if that's your thing,just Google plenty to see and do.
The Louden gets very busy but you will get served no bother.If you get to the Stadium 30 minutes before kick off you will get in quickly,remember your vaccine stuff I.D.
If you walk down Paisley Road West for 10 minutes you can get on the subway at Cessnock Station which is a lot quiter.
Buchannan Street is pretty safe but like any city just keep your wits about you.I am sure the hackneys(black Cabs) take card payments or you can down load the Uber app.
Enjoy the game mate and have a great day.

I suspect Adam is from the usa just a guess with those questions:D just go for it Adam. Get pissed out your head and let the day roll.

Knew exactly how this thread would go before the OP was finished :D

Enjoy the day Adam, just leave yourself plenty of time to get your bearings

Glasgow is my home city and if you look there is plenty to see.
When you get checked into your hotel, make your way down to Buchanan Street ( lovely Street ) and walk all the way down to St Enoch Square Subway Station. Which is directly opposite Buchanan Street
Get a return ticket on the Subway and get off at Ibrox Station, as you come out of Ibrox Station you will see The Louden Tavern directly opposite you. Go to the corner on the left and enter the Beer Garden.
Be there before 1 pm and you should get in ok.
Leave about 2.15 and take a walk around The Stadium
You won't forget the Special Atmosphere the fans create.
Ibrox Stadium is literally a two-minute walk from The Louden
Wait until the end of the match and take it all in.
It might be your first visit, it won't be your last.

Dont forgot to take in a few smokes and a wee bag of charles for those bathroom breaks, then head over to the kiosk to get a hotdog without the hotdog, cashless now so just wave your qr code at the machines to pay. Enjoy mate

Thanks,
Adam.

Good luck on your first trip to Ibrox. Hope you have a great time.

Nightlife is spread about across the city. Sauchiehall St is definitely a focal point but if you head further down the city centre there is the Society Rooms Wetherspoons thats decent on a Friday Saturday night. Across the road on Renfield St Missoula cocktail bar with the 80's bar upstairs. Theres the new Yotel rooftop bar, thats next to another Wetherspoons at the bottom of Hope St.

Near central theres more nightclubs. Club Tropicana for 80's and 90's, Cat House (Rock/metal), and SubClub that has has different DJ nights.

Further out in the West End at Hillhead Subway station there is a few pubs on Ashton Lane. Popular with students but mixed crowd generally. You can do some more sightseeing in the West End too. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the Transport Museum are free to enter. Botanic Gardens as well if thats your thing.

The queues at the Subway station can be long. Especially as people leave from 65 minutes onward to start joining it. In the grand scheme of things it sounds like you are making a bit of a journey to come to Ibrox so whats another 30 minutes in the Subway queue. You can hop on either direction too.

You can buy a matchday programme online or get a physical copy on the street near the stadium.

If you let us know where your hotel is, we can advise best route from the station to there. Buchanan St is busy during the day. There is not much in the way of nightlife but you may encounter some drunken people using it as a throughfare at night. A lot of Glasgow taxis now accept card. There is a company called GlasGo cabs that have an app like Uber. Buses also take contactless.

Glasgow has plenty to offer and is a fantastic city to live in. You should maybe research it a bit more or visit and experience all it has to offer before you make a pre-judgement.

Back