Questions and Advice needed ahead of my first ever Rangers game

Good luck on your first trip to Ibrox. Hope you have a great time.

Nightlife is spread about across the city. Sauchiehall St is definitely a focal point but if you head further down the city centre there is the Society Rooms Wetherspoons thats decent on a Friday Saturday night. Across the road on Renfield St Missoula cocktail bar with the 80's bar upstairs. Theres the new Yotel rooftop bar, thats next to another Wetherspoons at the bottom of Hope St.

Near central theres more nightclubs. Club Tropicana for 80's and 90's, Cat House (Rock/metal), and SubClub that has has different DJ nights.

Further out in the West End at Hillhead Subway station there is a few pubs on Ashton Lane. Popular with students but mixed crowd generally. You can do some more sightseeing in the West End too. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the Transport Museum are free to enter. Botanic Gardens as well if thats your thing.

The queues at the Subway station can be long. Especially as people leave from 65 minutes onward to start joining it. In the grand scheme of things it sounds like you are making a bit of a journey to come to Ibrox so whats another 30 minutes in the Subway queue. You can hop on either direction too.

You can buy a matchday programme online or get a physical copy on the street near the stadium.

If you let us know where your hotel is, we can advise best route from the station to there. Buchanan St is busy during the day. There is not much in the way of nightlife but you may encounter some drunken people using it as a throughfare at night. A lot of Glasgow taxis now accept card. There is a company called GlasGo cabs that have an app like Uber. Buses also take contactless.
I’m getting the vibe that Adam isn’t a Subclub kinda guy.

I expect can Jelavic play in Europe? And Casper Kent is a dirty bam page number proportions!
People make Glasgow don't you know! Just don't go where your OP thinks you should go

Glasgow is my home city and if you look there is plenty to see.
When you get checked into your hotel, make your way down to Buchanan Street ( lovely Street ) and walk all the way down to St Enoch Square Subway Station. Which is directly opposite Buchanan Street
Get a return ticket on the Subway and get off at Ibrox Station, as you come out of Ibrox Station you will see The Louden Tavern directly opposite you. Go to the corner on the left and enter the Beer Garden.
Be there before 1 pm and you should get in ok.
Leave about 2.15 and take a walk around The Stadium
You won't forget the Special Atmosphere the fans create.
Ibrox Stadium is literally a two-minute walk from The Louden
Wait until the end of the match and take it all in.
It might be your first visit, it won't be your last.
And remember to ask the landlord for your complimentary pint of beer. The first one is always on the house for new customers.

After all the good advice on here you’ll probably end up not getting into the game because you forgot your vaccine passport, going into town, having a few too many, losing your wallet, getting sick and wind up in an ally soaking wet getting fondled by a tramp :D

Only kidding mate enjoy your day!

Hi fellow Gers, against Hearts it will be my first ever Rangers home game(always struggled for tickets and only just found this forum recently) I'm now a MyGers Member so tickets will be no problem for this one so I'll finally be able to enter Ibrox and head to my first ever Rangers game!!!! I just wanted to post some questions in seek of advice to maximise my experience.

It looks to me like that Sauchiehall Street is the only place to be for the nightlife? I'm wanting nightclubs, bars and at least one chippy nearby!

As for bars, the Spoons in George Square I definitely will head to as I always do when in Glasgow, the Merchant and the Walkabout look pretty decent, anyone here is sure to recommend some more I'm sure and offer their opinions on these bars.

In terms of sightseeing, I've always found that apart from George Square and Buchanan Street there really isn't much else to see in Glasgow(apologies if that offends anyone)

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese restaurant that is well priced and not one of those City places which charge you a tenner for a curry with no rice, by the time you've paid for the rice and drink it's almost mid £20 range!

My hotel seems to be in a great location, I've not been in that exact area of Glasgow before but it looks to me that it's a 10-15 min walk down to George Square and maybe 10 mins max to say Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street.

As for matchday, how easy will it be to get into the Louden Tavern, is there a capacity limit and how easy is it getting served in there? I want to be in there to soak up the atmosphere and have a good sing along pre-match. I'm fully vaccinated but am wary of how long it may take to enter the ground.

Following the game, how bad are the queues at Ibrox station and how long will I be waiting? It takes you back to Buchanan Street so I'll be back in the centre quickly once on a subway train back.

Matchday programmes- these are sold online via the club by the looks of things so hopefully I'll be able to order one before I depart North on the Friday.

Apologies for the long post, I appreciate and thank every single one of you who replies to this, I am very excited for next weekend and cannot wait. (I come into Queen Street by train, if that helps anyone re my hotel location, it looks like a 15 min walk to my hotel from there)

One more thing, it looks like my walk back to the hotel will be on Buchanan Street and then right at Costa, given this is mostly a high street(Buchanan Street) I am a tad worried that this area could be unsafe at night with lone people about who are of a bad sort etc so to speak.

I don't carry cash nowadays so taxis in Glasgow may not take contactless in their cabs so taxis unlikely to be an option.

Thanks,
Adam.
Make sure you wear a green and white knitted jersey and matching wooly hat. In case it's cold that will certainly warm things up around you.

Not sure, but you might still get a sugar frostie in Blythswood Square.
It's not far from Sauchiehall St., OP.

“In terms of sightseeing, I've always found that apart from George Square and Buchanan Street there really isn't much else to see in Glasgow(apologies if that offends anyone)”

Hilarious!!! Sorry mate, don’t know where to start with this!
As a Glaswegian it doesn’t offend me but it does make you seem a bit thick if you think that Buchanan street is ‘sightseeing’

Get the sub way from St Enoch. You must try a doner kebab from bifteki there.

Plenty of beers, and visit often and you'll figure out what works for you when in Glasgow

While I have been going to Ibrox for 50 years I really wish this advice had been available to me back in the day

I have though taken notes and shall start following the recommendations given

Better late than never

Get out to Ibrox using the subway early, around ten. Wander around the stadium and get loads of pictures of our magnificent home to get your bearings, were your gate is, way back to the Louden and subway etc, (you’ll need that later). Drinks in the Louden till game time then REMEMBER where your turnstile is.
GAME ON.
Louden, subway, city centre, bed.

Enjoy! :):)
Adam Read and take heed of this post,great advice,especially louden,subway,city centre, bed, enjoy your day don't know where your seats are but as you come up stairs and about to see stadium inside,take a deep breath and take it all in,enjoy WATP

Hi fellow Gers, against Hearts it will be my first ever Rangers home game(always struggled for tickets and only just found this forum recently) I'm now a MyGers Member so tickets will be no problem for this one so I'll finally be able to enter Ibrox and head to my first ever Rangers game!!!! I just wanted to post some questions in seek of advice to maximise my experience.

It looks to me like that Sauchiehall Street is the only place to be for the nightlife? I'm wanting nightclubs, bars and at least one chippy nearby!

Really depends on your age. If you’re 25 and under sauchiehall street will be fine. Older than that Merchsnt city probably better.
As for bars, the Spoons in George Square I definitely will head to as I always do when in Glasgow, the Merchant and the Walkabout look pretty decent, anyone here is sure to recommend some more I'm sure and offer their opinions on these bars.

If Spoons is your regular and that’s the kind of thing you like then it’s pointless suggesting one of the 100 better bars than those you mention.
In terms of sightseeing, I've always found that apart from George Square and Buchanan Street there really isn't much else to see in Glasgow(apologies if that offends anyone)

Get on the open top bus and wash your mouth out.
Can anyone recommend a good Chinese restaurant that is well priced and not one of those City places which charge you a tenner for a curry with no rice, by the time you've paid for the rice and drink it's almost mid £20 range!

It’s a city centre. £20 is the norm for a decent meal and a drink. Opium is best. If budget is key then go to China sea.
My hotel seems to be in a great location, I've not been in that exact area of Glasgow before but it looks to me that it's a 10-15 min walk down to George Square and maybe 10 mins max to say Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street.

As for matchday, how easy will it be to get into the Louden Tavern, is there a capacity limit and how easy is it getting served in there? I want to be in there to soak up the atmosphere and have a good sing along pre-match. I'm fully vaccinated but am wary of how long it may take to enter the ground.

Get to the louden before 12.
Following the game, how bad are the queues at Ibrox station and how long will I be waiting? It takes you back to Buchanan Street so I'll be back in the centre quickly once on a subway train back.

You’ll be about an hour in the Q. Go back to the louden instead then get the subway when it’s quietened down.
Matchday programmes- these are sold online via the club by the looks of things so hopefully I'll be able to order one before I depart North on the Friday.

You can still buy one at the ground.
Apologies for the long post, I appreciate and thank every single one of you who replies to this, I am very excited for next weekend and cannot wait. (I come into Queen Street by train, if that helps anyone re my hotel location, it looks like a 15 min walk to my hotel from there)

One more thing, it looks like my walk back to the hotel will be on Buchanan Street and then right at Costa, given this is mostly a high street(Buchanan Street) I am a tad worried that this area could be unsafe at night with lone people about who are of a bad sort etc so to speak.

It will be fine
I don't carry cash nowadays so taxis in Glasgow may not take contactless in their cabs so taxis unlikely to be an option.

Download the Uber app but 90% of taxis are contactless now too.
Thanks,
Adam.

Back