Radio Scotland losing 20% of audience in past year.

Needs to be put in context.
Firstly his Jambos background where he played for years before coming to us.
Secondly this was his only derogatory comment against a plethora of positive comments that night.

However I am pretty sure you would never hear any Dark side minded commentator ever daring to mention anything like that against one of their own.
Indeed I can remember Kyogo doing swan acts in the box with no contact and them justifying it.

There’s a balance somewhere and do we really want to follow their route??
By way of context he played 99 games for Hearts across two spells v 113 for Rangers

Chose a popularist road in polarised, NATsi Scotland.
We've a large & varied array of excellent fan media now.
As a big fan of Public Broadcasting, R4 News suits me.
I'll forgive Neil's outburst; 1 of the few media good guys

Last edited:
How does it compare to other stations though? A bit like newspapers, they will all be dropping.

This.

Why would you listen to radio playing songs you aren't fussed on with intermittent adverts when you can set up a playlist playing the songs you like on Spotify or Apple Music.

Listened to a bit of off the ball with Cosgrove and Cowan a few months back in the car. It's embarrassingly bad who actually listens to that regularly?

Two fat middle aged men telling the same tired jokes from 20 years back.

BBC shortbreads football coverage is just as woeful mostly the same pundits from decades back every week.
“Can ye make up a team of fitballers that sound like kitchen utensils Tam”

It’s horrifically bad

Putting aside the mostly justified dislike of the BBC in general I think the drop in figures can partly be attributed to the end of the pandemic and people returning to work.

Don’t listen to many shows but the sporting side it’s a disgrace. Expected though if you employ the likes of Dick Gordon, Cosgrove and Liam screech champions McLeod. Ear bleeding stuff.

Screechy Liam on Wednesday during the game "there's a huge chasm between 2nd and 3rd in the SPFL - actually there is a huge chasm between 1st and 2nd..."

Needs to be put in context.
Firstly his Jambos background where he played for years before coming to us.
Secondly this was his only derogatory comment against a plethora of positive comments that night.

However I am pretty sure you would never hear any Dark side minded commentator ever daring to mention anything like that against one of their own.
Indeed I can remember Kyogo doing swan acts in the box with no contact and them justifying it.

There’s a balance somewhere and do we really want to follow their route??
That's why I can't get my head round it all. It's just this one thing he has said and the way he delivered it.

Radio 2 used to be the radio station I would listen to when in the kitchen or driving my car, but these days I have actually started listening to Radio Scotland more.

They good rid of the good Radio 2 presenters such as Steve Wright, Simon Mayo and now Ken Bruce and replaced them with annoying ones like Scott Mills, Sarah Cox and Zoe Ball.

I find a Radio Scotland presenter such as Stephen Jardine much better to listen to than Cox and Ball.

But there is definitely an anti-Tory bias at radio Scotland. They give a lot of coverage to negative stories about Tories but they hardly ever cover negative stories about the SNP.

No wonder when they have the same boring dinosaurs on night after night. Willie Miller, Pat Bonner and Alan Preston are three examples of pundits who are so far out of touch with the modern game.
Anyone under 30 would struggle to know who they are. My son who’s 22 has no clue who they are and couldn’t care less. I’ve said before Give the media jobs to newly retired ex players for 2 years then move them on and give the jobs to the next newly retired players and so on. It’s stops these guys hanging on to lifetime media roles when they don’t have a clue about modern football.

Used to have it on in car about 20 years ago. Likes of Lesley Riddoch and Kay Adams never mind their Rangers hating bunch on Sportsound was enough to switch off for good.
The bore that is Cosgrove going on about Perth and the wee gang he was in and interminable havering about St Johnstone while trying to mask his total bitterness, with Spence, Gordon etc.
A bitter Nat fest.

I am pleased to hear about this. Gave up on this outfit a long time ago, circa 2012, along with another radio station further down the Clyde.

I enjoyed listening to Brian Burnett's show, eventually got fed up with him reading out what listeners are having/had for their tea!

He can’t help himself. Just a tosser.
He’s a horrible little creep. His commentary and love for “ra hoops” is nauseating. The Hearts v Hibs semi final last year he genuinely mentioned celtic more times than both Edinburgh teams put together. It’s pretty amazing for the BBC considering when Chris McLaughlin done his report on celtic and historical child abuse in Scottish football celtic weren’t mentioned - funny that!

I do a lot of driving and occasionally have to listen to football on radio. Radio Scotland needs to refresh it content. Like all things around Scottish Football it lacks entertainment.

New presenters and some capable of discussing tactics. Summariser should add to your understanding of the game. Should support the commentator.

Discussion of the talking points needs improved. Interviews never ask probing questions. All very comfortable. Same with the Politics coverage on BBC Scotland. Far too safe.

BBC Radio Scotland the Broadcaster who stays still and has not innovated its editorial and or entertainment focus in 20 years.

Examples include Off the Ball since 1994

Bryan Burnett get it on since 2004

Billy sloan since 2001

etc etc

However let's examine how talent seems to seep into pacific quay due to the well known West End Network.

The current flagship News and Current affairs output, should just move to an avocado shop on Byres road, they would all feel at home there. The middle class pretentious snobbery, is off the scale. However to get a gig in Pacific quay you need to be either a Westend networker, a Gael of any island will do, or currently be connected to the Scot Gov in any positive tenuous way.

The ability to actually drill into our politicians of any hue is Graphene deep, and the knowledge of subject matter is non existent. GMS is a joke where they do not address the current issues around the Scot Gov and tend to ignore the issues many ordinary scots are suffering from. As for Drivetime being interviewed by John Beattie is akin to being quizzed by a 6 year old.

Let look at a simple subject the Weather , I give you FF favourite busty women Judith Ralston, a failed singer who joined BBC Radio as a traffic reporter, marries a meteorologist, Boom now the Weather expert on BBC Scotland. Knowledge of Metrology = Zero.

Next up is the newbee Joy Dunlop, she has now appeared as the new Weather expert presenter, during Covid. Dunlop is another singer who again has = Zero expertise in metrology other than looking out the window.

There is pattern here right across BBC Radio Scotland, you do not need talent you need connections.

However there is some new talent at least within the last 3 years who now have there own show, I give you Radio Titan and international Comedy legend Ashley Storrie, who of course is the daughter of Janey (bigot, racist, sectarian) Godley. BBC Radio Scotland really went out a long way to plug in Janey's Daughter.

I have noted some but not all over the insidious way Radio Scotland is Run, from a schedule and talent in many cases up to 20 years old, to highlight the lack of leadership vision & innovation that a modern broadcaster requires.

However none of that is required at Pacific Quay as they are assured their income & gold plated pensions no matter the "slops" they produce and broadcast or the numbers who happen to listen. Being on the Taxpayers tab and accountable to no one, is of no concern and therefore the station moves on assured that they are all still feeding on the assured dripping roast of taxpayer funds.

And they wonder why listing figures are in the grubber.

I'm already pissed off that Jazz Nights is set to be axed. Love a laid-back Sunday night with Scottish jazz talent plus the likes of Miles and Coltrane.

I expect those who listen to other niche programmes such as Classics Unwrapped and Pipeline have similar views. I would have thought the music shows would have had decent audience figures?

He’s a horrible little creep. His commentary and love for “ra hoops” is nauseating. The Hearts v Hibs semi final last year he genuinely mentioned celtic more times than both Edinburgh teams put together. It’s pretty amazing for the BBC considering when Chris McLaughlin done his report on celtic and historical child abuse in Scottish football celtic weren’t mentioned - funny that!

Been said many times and there is no doubt about it, He's an Aberdeen fan.

I would hazard a guess that the workforce within BBC Scotland will have a very disproportionate number of RC employees. The anti Rangers bias is part of it's DNA.

Don’t listen to many shows but the sporting side it’s a disgrace. Expected though if you employ the likes of Dick Gordon, Cosgrove and Liam screech champions McLeod. Ear bleeding stuff.
Just thinking that I’m the same.
No other progs
Euro nights listening to their early ko driving over to Ibrox. Driving home from same.
That’s it. Have never listened at home.

The cigars and the champagne will flow the day Radio SNP/Celtic closes its doors for the final time and the inhabitants are chased out of Scotland. Top of my immediate deportation list would be Stewart, Gordon, English, Cosgrove, Cowan and D Ferguson with McCann on standby.

Radio Scotland has lost a fifth of it's listeners in the past year according to the latest Rajar figures.

In the last three months of 2021 976,000 were tuning in each week. Twelve months later that figure was down to 780,000

That's a huge drop in listeners. In commercial radio heads would roll following a survey as bad as that.

There will be many reasons for this drop which will be jumped on gleefully by those who hate Radio Scotland's support for the SNP and a football team that hides sex crimes.

On the football side it's shows are very anti Rangers and the continued use of dinosaurs such as Cosgrove and Cowan highlight a refusal by BBC Scotland to move with the times.

This post could have been more specific to the Lounge clientele but Bear Pit regulars will also delight in seeing Radio Shortbread suffering.

Aye, Neil McCann you've made your bed......
Willie Miller turns it into a " Radio Aberdeen " programme , totally biased boring drivel , Liam McLeod just can't help himself , along with the Rob McLean and Richard Gordon exposed Rangers haters .whoever in our club decided it a good idea and made the decision to " build the bridge " needs a good kick up the a rse.

angela haggerty used a lot too in what is farcsicly described as "well known journalist".you couldn`t make it up!!!

BBC Scotland's sport coverage is a total train wreck. In particular their coverage of us. They cannot bring themselves to say a positive word and are only too ready to highlight the negative. Reading their match reports they try to keep it factual but the slant is almost always a slight on us. Institutional bias is a phase that springs easily to mind.

32.jpg

Radio Scotland has lost a fifth of it's listeners in the past year according to the latest Rajar figures.

In the last three months of 2021 976,000 were tuning in each week. Twelve months later that figure was down to 780,000

That's a huge drop in listeners. In commercial radio heads would roll following a survey as bad as that.

There will be many reasons for this drop which will be jumped on gleefully by those who hate Radio Scotland's support for the SNP and a football team that hides sex crimes.

On the football side it's shows are very anti Rangers and the continued use of dinosaurs such as Cosgrove and Cowan highlight a refusal by BBC Scotland to move with the times.

This post could have been more specific to the Lounge clientele but Bear Pit regulars will also delight in seeing Radio Shortbread suffering.

Happy Birthday ya Arseholes, Long may it continue.

Not a station I listen to as their attitude towards the Rangers sums them up.

This all day long.
Working shifts sometimes i listen to Sportssound on the way home from work.Its like a death in the family to there reporting team if Rangers dare to score a late winner.

Radio Scotland is inundated with left wing liberal crap with luvvies like Adams Jardine Haggerty Shereen how’s yer fanny awful radio

Anyone under 30 would struggle to know who they are. My son who’s 22 has no clue who they are and couldn’t care less. I’ve said before Give the media jobs to newly retired ex players for 2 years then move them on and give the jobs to the next newly retired players and so on. It’s stops these guys hanging on to lifetime media roles when they don’t have a clue about modern football.
How long you been working in modern media mate?

I think they are ok for their news orientated programming early morning. Pretty much everything after is dreadful (Call Kaye: Jesus Christ). Off the Ball has its moments, but a bit like Only an Excuse, has run its course.

Any time I have Radio Scotland on, which is not very often, it doesn’t take long to notice the nationalist bias that is bubbling under the surface of most programs.
I used to have it on in the car just as white noise, but found myself shouting at the radio about their obvious agendas and pushing the channel buttons harder than I should.:)
It’s Infested with certain types of people and is not a true reflection of the Scottish population.
Even if they had the well overdue clearance, I don’t think I’d turn it back on.
They have killed a once impartial station and the nation is tuning out.
:) :) :)

I don't think BBC Scotland is losing listeners only on Sportsound. Their quasi-nationalist propaganda and pushing an increasingly progressive/woke agenda on their morning phone is clearly turning people off.

Its just downright dull. I caught a programme this morning, an interview with a snowdrop expert. The woman asking the questions couldnt have told the difference between a snowdrop and a snowman, and it told. Consequently the expert's replies were pretty meaningless and afterwards, the studio reaction was how nice he was for calling the flowers his 'little darlings'.

If those figures are close to accurate, that's a hell of a drop. Would love to know if we as a support have contributed to this. Their coverage of football seems very outdated and soaked in bias.

Would hope also that it reflects a rejection of the SNP and their infiltration into Scottish institutions attempting to skew the agenda, and perhaps the Scottish public turning a corner in terms of who they'll vote for (though hardly a plethora of great alternatives queueing up). I've not lived in Scotland for 15+ years so rarely listen and I might be off the mark with this. But I get the impression Radio Scotland has pandered to the SNP establishment and opted for cosy compliance rather than holding them accountable. Establishment radio for a rotten, corrupt and out of touch establishment. Any surprise the people are switching off?

Back