Raise a glass to absent Bears.

I'll raise a glass to my dad.
I've got all his Rangers VHS videos which are no use as I don't have a video recorder but there's no way I'm getting rid off them.
He would be loving this year.
Get them converted to DVD or unto a computer. You will be able to watch them. And keep the VHS for prosperity

My granda died in late 2010. We were successful then of course but we all felt that something terrible, something catastrophic, was just around the corner. He left this vale of tears not knowing if we'd survive it, whatever it turned out to be. He'd be a proud bear this season.

My grandfather who passed away October 2019.

I recently bought a brick to mark his one year anniversary and his birthday which is around the same time. It is due to be placed in July of this year.

Impeccable timing given the way this season is going and a fitting tribute to one of Rangers biggest fans.

To my Grandad, John, or Jack, he was known as both. Govan Rear for 30 years, passed in April 2010. He didn’t get to see the crap which happened. But I know he’s proud of what we have become and how we have turned our fortunes around. Should he still have been alive, 55 would have definitely have involved me and him with a copious amount of whisky

Last edited:
To the Renfrew bears,I travelled all over Europe with
Bob McFarlane, Jimmy NuttI Ian Reid(wee pep),,,not forgetting,Bert Mackie from Neilston and Jim Connell(Jimmy the Bear)from Paisley
last but not least,my dad who made me a Ranger,60 years ago
So raise a glass to absent friends,as lifes long journey ends.
You're always with us in our hearts
Our special Absent Friends

Last edited:
Here’s to all absent friends ‘in heaven up above singing follow follow to The Rangers that they love’ none more so than my late Dad who’s hero was James Curran Baxter. Here’s to you Dad!
For my father Vinnie just before the lovenkrands final and my hermano/fratelli stephen 2 years ago this March thinking of you both wish you were here! Aye yours

My older cousin who along with my dad was a major influence in me supporting rangers. My dad along with my cousin (who was like a big bro) took me to my first game in 1993 as a 7 year old and hooked ever since. He passed away in 2013 when we were in the lower leagues due to the awful cystic fibrosis.

also one of my best mates who took his own life last year. To absent friends

Under normal circumstances my thoughts would stray to my late father, however after the thread about season 1986.87 a couple of days ago. I'm raising a glass to the late John Anderson. John drove yours truly and his son up to Pittodrie, then proceeded to refuse us to pay over the odds for a ticket for him. He listened on the radio in the car as we won the league. John was also with us in Manchester even though he was seriously ill. He're's too you wee man.

My dad died last Saturday took me to my first game in 1971 with my uncle and grandad. They took me every other saturday from then on. I will be raising a glass for the three of them.
Thoughts with you fellow bear,no words can help, but believe me the hurt and anguish will soon pass and you will be left with all the good memories and the love you had from your dad ,uncle and grandad,stretching my arms round you and the family from down here in Dumfries and giving you the biggest hug i can,in this sad time WATP

Thoughts with you fellow bear,no words can help, but believe me the hurt and anguish will soon pass and you will be left with all the good memories and the love you had from your dad ,uncle and grandad,stretching my arms round you and the family from down here in Dumfries and giving you the biggest hug i can,in this sad time WATP
Ya daft bugger you have set me off:(:) Heart warming words fellow bear.

To absent family mum, dad, sis, friends Wullie, Morton, Eddie, Susan, big Jim, Robert, Craig and fellow rangers fans . I am sure you are with us to celebrate our rise back to the no1 spot from the past years of injustice. Rangers then, now and forever! WATP GSTQ

James Paton will be happy in heaven when 55 is sealed. He’s the reason I’m a Ranger. We spent many an afternoon listening to the wireless on a Saturday. He never had a good word to say about Rangers. We were always rubbish. But by god was he a loyal bluenose. Followed near and far, he would have spent his last penny on following the Gers if it was needed. Passed away 4 years today.

This is probably quite a rant...

I have a number of friends who have passed over the years, young and old, and all utter Rangers men who I enjoyed going to matches with, playing football together, or just talking about football with.

I was quite emotional about it after Fiorentina in 2008 - in particular, I lost a good friend aged 24, someone I started going to Ibrox with and who I went to school with and I’ve never really resolved that in my head.
A couple of uncles who were a massive influence in all things Rangers as well - a lot of learning from them and for years I could see one of them in the Copland Front from where I stood in the Enclosure.

Every time Rangers lift a trophy I have a little look up - always slightly bittersweet that I get to see these things and they aren’t with me.

I’ll tell you what though - I thoroughly enjoy the time I have with my friends through Rangers. I had my son up for the Aberdeen game in February last year and we met up with my mates (old & relatively new) before & after the game - then off for a curry afterwards. I have a photo from that night with me, my son, some of my oldest and some of my best friends up in my Rangers room and it is unashamedly one of the most indulgent and favourite pieces I have.
Given everything with Covid since then, it was very special to have all of us together.

I can not wait for the day that I next see Rangers crowned as the Champions of Scotland.

This thread is, well, although very sad, a very happy and uplifting reminder.

My grandparents, my dad, an uncle not so long gone, one of the boys who loved the bears and well was taken too young.

For all of them this season is for you.

Its for us all. The Rangers family young and old. Past, present and just beginning.

Although I am lucky enough to still have my parents and close family, in recent years some good friends have passed far too soon, especially Barra and Billy Edwards from the Easterhouse Loyal.

Dad died in the February before 9 in a row... Not sure what he would have enjoyed the most... The 9 or busting their 10 after all the bassas tried to kill us.

To those 4 young lads from the Gareloch & every single one whose ever pulled on that jersey or cheered on The Rangers since - for WE ARE THE PEOPLE.

I raise a glass to my dear departed friend “Tam Stewart” he was part of our brotherhood.
Also Crawford Tees a true blue you could never have imagined.

I miss you both so much.

Latest posts

Back