Match Thread Rangers 1-0 St Mirren - 19:45 Wednesday - RangersTV.tv - Highlights in Post #1

Walter's title winning seasons were littered with games like tonight. The 3 points are all that matters.

I was ill tonight and went to bed after work. I’m delighted to wake up with three points. Not the best of games by the sound of it. Hopefully we get are act together for tynecastle

that was torture, however remember if we win every game from now until the end 1-0 we take the league so we cant complain.

Last year they went through a rough patch but won a series of 1-0s which gave them the league.

Didn't know that rule. Seemed strange at the time and we thought the reef had got it wrong.

Thanks for the explaination.
No problem. There are quite a few reasons. I found this

INJURIES
  • allows play to continue until the ball is out of play if a player is only slightly injured
  • stops play if a player is seriously injured and ensures that the player is removed from the field of play. An injured player may not be treated on the field of play and may only re-enter after play has restarted; if the ball is in play, re-entry must be from the touchline but if the ball is out of play, it may be from any boundary line. Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play are only when:
    • a goalkeeper is injured
    • a goalkeeper and an outfield player have collided and need attention
    • players from the same team have collided and need attention
    • a severe injury has occurred
    • a player is injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned or sent off (e.g. reckless or serious foul challenge), if the assessment/treatment is completed quickly
    • a penalty kick has been awarded and the injured player will be the kicker
  • ensures that any player bleeding leaves the field of play. The player may only re-enter on receiving a signal from the referee, who must be satisfied that the bleeding has stopped and there is no blood on the equipment
  • if the referee has authorised the doctors and /or stretcher bearers to enter the field of play, the player must leave on a stretcher or on foot. A player who does not comply, must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour
  • if the referee has decided to caution or send off a player who is injured and has to leave the field of play for treatment, the card must be shown before the player leaves
  • if play has not been stopped for another reason, or if an injury suffered by a player is not the result of an offence, play is restarted with a dropped ball

I was hoping we'd come back stronger after the winter break but appears we are struggling to maintain our previous form.
Hopefully up the tempo in the coming games.

A wins a win but it still pisses me off that we have so much of the ball around the 18 yard box, admittedly against 11 men, but no one yet can seem to make themselves a yard so they can unleash a shot......at least test the keeper constantly in matches like this, a shouting free for all !

I thought with Jack starting to hit goals and Kent we would see more of this. Anything is better than trying to cross it into Defoe

Piss poor to be honest, but a wins a win.

Flanagan was absolutely awful. Patterson has to play on Sunday, otherwise it'll be another slog. Lose a goal on Sunday and could be painful trying to get back into it against 10 defenders.

Hearts are playing a high press under Stendel.

If they continue with it, I think we'll tear them apart. Would be a lot happier with Tav mind you. Nothing against Flanagan, who is a good defender, but he's not best when under pressure

3 points in the bag. Two wins from two after the break so no complaints. Improvement on last season and hope we can continue on to improve again with each match

Long balls up to Defoe have to stop, the attacking options have to simply get closer and support him.

Flanagan is getting it in the neck for not being Tavernier. What about the midfield three, not one offered an attacking outlet.

Anybody got a picture of that shirt pull in the first half where we should have had a pen? Exact same scenario as the celtic pen against Katic .

That was a disgrace, a half-arsed, unprofessional. weak-minded performance, disappointed in the manager, too. He talks of sending the fans home happy and asks for us to get behind the team then watches that level of performance and says he's delighted and it was excellent.
Jon Flanagan is just not good enough, why wasn't Patterson allowed at least the last half-hour?

People are actually saying on Twitter that no one played badly ? What game were they watching if Flanagan gets pass marks. 3 points in the bag is the up side.

If the BBC stats are right we had 17 shots but only one on target. Methinks this ineeds addressed in this weeks practice schedule

I was just coming in here to post for exact same thing!

I'd love to know where the consistency is.

It’s mental , ref was terrible last night. Near the end of the game last night we should have had a corner and the linesman had the flag up for a corner and the red overturned it.

With Defoes chance at the end was a corner as the keeper saved it and he gave a goal kick. Knew he made an arse if it and blew for full time!

If the BBC stats are right we had 17 shots but only one on target. Methinks this ineeds addressed in this weeks practice schedule

surely that utter nonsense
the goal was the shot on target
but the Midden keeper collected a few tame efforts i thought

my thoughts on the team:

McGregor - 6 - hard to mark as St Stranraer offered so little

Flanagan - 5 - average, showed what we lose with no Tav, lacking in pace leading to daft challenges leading to the booking

Goldson 7 - largely strolled it and controlled the lump they had

Katic 7 - see Goldson

Barisic 7 - decent game

Davis 6 - more subdued than normal

Jack 6 - see Davis

Kamara 5 - not up to his usual standards

Kent 6 - was ok but one of those games he has where his head doesn't quite look in the game

Defoe 7 - good finish, worked hard, kicked a lot with no protection

Aribo 8 - terrific show, worked hard and showed a lot of skill

subs:

Arfield 2 - did ok in the little time

Ojo 4 - actually played well when he came on

From the high of Doc Stone's post on comparative stats before the match to the relative low of after the match ,but it's still a win but we must improve against these low blocks for 2 reasons, 1 we risk losing a daft goal and 2 it's not good for my heart it's dodgy enough as it is don't need the extra strain

my thoughts on the team:

McGregor - 6 - hard to mark as St Stranraer offered so little

Flanagan - 5 - average, showed what we lose with no Tav, lacking in pace leading to daft challenges leading to the booking

Goldson 7 - largely strolled it and controlled the lump they had

Katic 7 - see Goldson

Barisic 7 - decent game

Davis 6 - more subdued than normal

Jack 6 - see Davis

Kamara 5 - not up to his usual standards

Kent 6 - was ok but one of those games he has where his head doesn't quite look in the game

Defoe 7 - good finish, worked hard, kicked a lot with no protection

Aribo 8 - terrific show, worked hard and showed a lot of skill

subs:

Arfield 2 - did ok in the little time

Ojo 4 - actually played well when he came on

All about opinions -

Flanagan - did nothing wrong but offered nothing either. (Tav a major miss)

Barisic - Class Act

Kent - I'm maybe overly harsh on the laddie - but feel at £7m we should expect more in the way of goals and assists. All his best work was in areas that didn't hurt St Mirren.

Defoe - Take away his goals and he was terrible against Stranraer and St Mirren - but proved again that given the service in the right areas he will always score goals.

Aribo - Again his best work was away from the areas that ultimately hurt teams - he will progress as he develops and could have a great future

As hard as it might be to watch, we are as well buckling up, settling down and being prepared for a lot more games like this (especially at home) between now and end of season. I'm going to need blood pressure tablets.

Well, that's pish. Right off the top of my head we had the goal (1), we had the pinball in the box just before half time when Aribo and Katic went for the ball and got in each others way and the ball landed up in the keepers arms (2) and we had the one right at the end when the ball broke to Arfield and he hit it straight at the keeper (3). That's without thinking about it too much. There were also a couple of goalbound shots deflected away by defenders.

The stats aren't done by the BBC - is it Opta? - but they have been totally skewed in Rangers matches for a long, long time. Last Friday they had Stranraer with something like 63% possession. It was ridiculous. One outlet had a truer 82% to Rangers but the majority went with whoever provides the BBC stats.

that was dismal fare served up last night

2 games back both total dross played at walking pace

what on earth are we doing in the mid winter break

70 minutes gone we'd had 3 shots on target, that is just dreadful

In 2010/11, the last time Rangers won the league, Walter Smith's side won six home games by a single-goal margin.

Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Inverness, Hearts, St Mirren and Kilmarnock again all went close at Ibrox but ultimately left empty-handed.

Last night's win was the third such instance this term, following narrow successes over Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

In 2010/11, the last time Rangers won the league, Walter Smith's side won six home games by a single-goal margin.

Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Inverness, Hearts, St Mirren and Kilmarnock again all went close at Ibrox but ultimately left empty-handed.

Last night's win was the third such instance this term, following narrow successes over Kilmarnock and Motherwell.
The very same guys were crying their eyes out then :D

heres hoping thats an omen of things to come

Back