Match Thread Rangers 1-0 St Mirren - 19:45 Wednesday - RangersTV.tv - Highlights in Post #1

Thank feck that's out the way, but we'll face more like it, so we need to improve and we will. On to Sunday and three more points, that's the target.

Another grind, another win. Keeps our winning momentum and mentality going. Performances will improve again I've no doubt.

Quite flat but no Morelos and Tav our two most key players in my opinion. Good to get the win when not at our best and a few good chances from set pieces etc.

Champions win Ugly.... That was UGLY....

To much reliance on Borna tonight.
Tav down the right for balance would have made the difference.
They figured it out after JD's goal + then crowded him out.
Last season + seasons prior we drop points....

Onward we go with a game in hand

Its exactly the type if game I expected tbh as we do struggle against teams that sit in & Tav has a massive influence on how we play at our best as in on the front foot.
Flanagan is never going to do the job Tav does but he needs to drag people out of position more by at least making a dummy run out wide

Started slow. Poor passing. Plenty possession but lacked imagination & creativity.
That said, all that mattered was the 3 points. Clean sheet & gaol for Defoe a bonus.
Sorry not to see Nathan, but Flanno may be better suited for Sewincastle visit.
NS.

I know 3 points is what matters but it's only papering over the cracks. Only 2 goals v Stranraer and 1 tonight combined with a shocking performance is extremely worrying.

We are so far short of the creativity, pace and imagination required to win this title. We need quality reinforcements ASAP or we are going to blow this.

Going to Hearts after the last game there doesn't fill me with confidence either. Too many players way way off the pace.

We're going to come a cropper shortly if we don't inject some tempo in our play.That was absolutely dreadful to watch.3 midfield players couldn't be any slower if they tried .Davis ran across the park taking 5 touches before playing a 5 yard pass to Borna who had a player standing right beside him .As for our midfielders attempts at shooting it's laughable.We must sign another forward before the end of the month or we will win nothing.

Happy the points are in the bag however most of the play tonight was woeful middle to front plenty of chances but we continually make it hard for ourselves by being boxed in on the wing as the crossing overall was very poor.

We need to be more dynamic if it isn't coming off on the wings we need a player to make those runs up the old inside left & right channels into the area offering themselves as an option rather than wing play continually being snuffed out .

3 points the main thing and we move on. We can’t afford another slip at Tynecastle. I still get bugged thinking about the last one.

Chelsea's Abraham got injured last night, can't see them letting Giroud go now. It would be unbelievable if Rangers weren't trying to get somebody in. Stewart wasn't even on the bench tonight, he's capable of scoring the odd goal at Ibrox.
Giroud apart, I agree it would be good if Rangers were trying to get in a decent striker given we don't know what may happen with Alfie, thank God we have JD who is a fantastic player !

I thought that Stewart was injured / unfit !

Last edited:
I always think games like this are ones u look back on and say - that’s we’re we won the league!

The pressure to come back and win after last year was and is immense

I found that performance worrying. We just don't seem to have the solution to deal with a packed defence. Crosses flighted in don't seem to suit Defoe's skills because of his height. So many shots go high too. We badly need more shots on target. St M really weren't put under much pressure that would worry them and they missed a header chance too.

When SG says we will need Ojo, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Elsewhere, I see Griffiths has thrown objects into the opposition crowd tonight. I wonder if he will be castigated and punished to Morelos levels.

When SG says we will need Ojo, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Elsewhere, I see Griffiths has thrown objects into the opposition crowd tonight. I wonder if he will be castigated and punished to Morelos levels.
I think there's a player there once he has some confidence.

Another grind game guys, I will take the points but should have been a better result. Five shots on target against St Mirren is poor

One game down without Alfie and Tav and 3 points. Have to be happy overall even if the game wasn't brilliant.

Just highlights how much we miss both played, but particularly Alfie.
Missing Alfredo goes without saying but I also thought we badly missed Tav’s attacking play.

The match was made for Tav with very little defending to do.

Can someone explain to me why we so badly lack tempo at times?

Does a team playing that way against us just kill us in setting the tempo? The speed of some of the passing was driving me crackers.

That was a hard watch. We're going to face this 9-1 formation a lot so I was hoping that we would have more ideas.

I thought Ojo done ok when he came on and was the right move IMO. Thought we needed someone with pace and could hold it up. He was more effective than Arfield.

The BBC are so transparent in where their loyalties lie. "Rusty Rangers stay two points behind Celtic at the top of the Scottish Premiership after struggling to victory over resolute visitors St Mirren."

No mention of the game in hand which if we win would make us leaders. A game we could have played by now if only the SPFL had allowed us to play it over the break. Instead we have cram it in between European ties and meanwhile have to put up with this psychological brainwashing that implies were lagging behind the mentally challengeds.

...or am I getting paranoid?

A hard watch tonight but they never threatened at all.
Shows what Tav and Alfredo bring to the team and our system.
Tynecastle will be tough based on tonight’s showing.
I would love us to have a traditional centre forward option.

Difference is we dropped points in these types of games last season, not playing at our best and coming away with the 3 points is the mark of a championship winning team

I'll take a flat 3 points against st mirren on a Wednesday night every time bring on the Jambo's

Missing Alfredo goes without saying but I also thought we badly missed Tav’s attacking play.

The match was made for Tav with very little defending to do.
That's why I thought we should have gone with Patterson tonight, who would have offered more from an attacking sense than Flanagan, who I guess was picked with the Hearts game in mind.

The match thread is a mirror of our home games. If we're not 2 up against the lesser sides in the first 20 mins the grumbling starts and continually gets worse.

If only even half the home support acted like our away fans, Ibrox would be a cauldron, unfortunately the sense of entitlement at the games kills off the atmosphere.

Already the moaning about tynecastle has started and its only Wednesday.

That's why I thought we should have gone with Patterson tonight, who would have offered more from an attacking sense than Flanagan, who I guess was picked with the Hearts game in mind.
I think you are correct regarding giving Flanagan game time ahead of Hearts since it’s unlikely that Patterson will be risked on Sunday.

A game that Wasn't pretty to watch and we looked laboured at times.
3 points in the bag is all that matters.

We're going to come a cropper shortly if we don't inject some tempo in our play.That was absolutely dreadful to watch.3 midfield players couldn't be any slower if they tried .Davis ran across the park taking 5 touches before playing a 5 yard pass to Borna who had a player standing right beside him .As for our midfielders attempts at shooting it's laughable.We must sign another forward before the end of the month or we will win nothing.
Calm down mate. Its first game post break we are on a run albeit with differing perfomances.

Back