Rangers ace Morelos could play in last Celtic Old Firm on Sunday along with Hagi, Roofe, Kamara & Arfield, says Boyd

BlueMeanie

ALFREDO MORELOS could be about to play in his last ever Old Firm game.
For different reasons the same goes for Glen Kamara, Kemar Roofe, Ianis Hagi and Scott Arfield.
Alfredo Morelos celebrates Rangers' title win

If you ask me, there’s a real chance all these players will be on their way out of Rangers at the end of the season.
It’s up for debate. They all played their part in the club’s title glory, which was the be all and end all.
But Steven Gerrard will be thinking of improvement with the league campaign coming to an end.
And there will be men shown the door.

Morelos has been linked with moves away from Ibrox almost since the day and hour he arrived.
So it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if he was let go. There’s every chance offers will come in and it could be the time to cash in.
Kamara has been in talks over a new deal for months and as yet there’s been no agreement.
Reading between the lines, that’s not going to happen.
With Roofe, Hagi and Arfield, we’re talking about players who haven’t ever let the club down.

But they haven’t been regular starters either and they are maybe thinking it’s time for them to find new clubs.
They’re all at the stage of their careers where they probably want to play more.
Gerrard has some decisions to make and I can guarantee he’ll be talking to the players about their futures and having conversations with their agents too.
All that will matter to him right now is building for next season and making the team better.

Let’s get it right, Rangers did magnificently to win the title. They have been the best team in the country by a mile and no one can knock them.
But the cup exits to St Mirren and St Johnstone were reminders that there is still room for improvement. The truth is, there always is.
That’s what it’s like at a club like Rangers. Winning the league doesn’t mean anyone is safe.
No one in that changing room can afford to relax. No chance.
Gerrard won’t have that mentality because he’s striving to be the best manager he can possibly be. He won’t be satisfied with one title and neither he should.

He’ll have unanswered questions about some players and that’s where tomorrow’s Old Firm game could give him an opportunity to see who really wants to be part of his plans next season.
Let’s get it right, the match means virtually nothing.
OK, Rangers are looking to finish the season unbeaten. They haven’t lost at Ibrox and that’s an incentive.
And Celtic will be eager to win at least one derby this season.
But in the grand scheme of things it’s hardly a huge deal, is it?
The season is over for both clubs and the big prize is already done and dusted.

Also, spare me this idea it’s a chance to lay down a marker for next season. That’s nonsense.
Celtic have wholesale changes coming their way. A new manager is coming in and he’s going to rip apart that squad.
There’s every chance the team is going to be unrecognisable, so what kind of marker gets laid down in this game? Honestly, I’ve never heard so much rubbish. For me it’s more important to Rangers because of the players who are fighting for their futures.
Gerrard isn’t going anywhere, so if he’s unsure about anyone this is a game he can learn things from.
But is he going to be able to give anyone any guarantees?
I don’t think Arfield, Roofe or Hagi would be in any hurry to leave Ibrox if they felt there was regular football there for them. But I wonder if their patience could be wearing thin now.

They have maybe decided it’s time for a fresh challenge having won the title and I don’t think anyone could really blame them for that.
For the rest of the squad, there has to be a desire to kick on again. Look at James Tavernier who has just signed a new contract. He’s been at the club a long time but has only just felt what it’s like to win something. I hope he likes it and wants more of it.
But even the skipper has a challenge ahead of him with Nathan Patterson breathing down his neck.
For what it’s worth I hope he gets picked for Scotland’s squad for the Euros, even if he’s not going to start the games.
Stephen O’Donnell is the No 1 right-back and I can’t see Steve Clarke changing his mind on that before the tournament.
But Patterson is going to be an international player, it’s only a matter of time. And with the squad numbers increasing from 23 players to 26, I really hope Patterson makes it to the Euros.

For me there is absolutely no point in taking three experienced players who weren’t going to make the initial squad.
It should be young players who get the chance to experience a tournament because that’s only going to help them in the future.
Patterson has to go. OK it’s a bit of a setback that he’s been banned for the final few games of the season, but he’s still done enough to be included.
He’s been a revelation since breaking into the Rangers team this season and has handled the step up comfortably.
Just like Rangers have won the league.

Boyd doesn't get Alfie like we do for some reason.

Kamara may or may not sign a new deal.

I believe he was going to. He leaves and we probably are weakened.

Very much a speculative article and boyds been great for a while but not sure about this. Not totally ridiculous but ifs buts and maybes and a bit all over the place. Did he even write it?

I wouldn't right off Arfield yet either.

Huge summer ahead and hopefully new arrivals already sorted

Last edited:
The only players who will play on Sunday who are pretty much guaranteed to be in the frame for the next one are Greegs, Davis and Tav.

However I would expect most of Sunday's team to stay intact with only 2 or 3 departures tops.

With us nearly a full two month of being Champions of Scotland for the 55th time this is absolute nonsense of a headline that will and has got people talking about a dead rubber old firm game. Players will leave but absolute nonsense Roofe is going nowhere Kris lay off it.

The only players who will play on Sunday who are pretty much guaranteed to be in the frame for the next one are Greegs, Davis and Tav.

However I would expect most of Sunday's team to stay intact with only 2 or 3 departures tops.
Is Goldson not playing?

Hagi is the only one who could argue he didn't get the game time he wanted. Arfield and Roofe haven't played as much only because of injuries and being eased back in recovering from those injuries.

And pointless article of the season goes to Kris Boyd...runner up John Kennedy, “we’re still better”. Hard to believe how much dross makes up the newspaper industry in 2021.

Boyd might have been spot on with a lot this season but there's a helluva lot of bullshite in that article.
Almost as if the editor has asked him to come up with something in a desperate attempt to fill a column...

Not really understanding why Roofes name was mentioned? He basically starts whenever hes fit. I would be astonished if we sold Roofe. The rest i could see, but thats a lot of talent going out the door

I mean sure they all might or might not go, only one I definitely think will be here next year is Arfield to be honest. Last year of his contract and even if the injuries are starting to add up, don’t really get why we’d want to let him go or he’d go, because he isn’t going to be going to a better club and has shown he can still perform at a high level this year, even if we might not be able to rely on him to churn out game after game anymore.

A load of speculative pish from KB, he's obviously struggling for material.
I think we'll get another season out of Alfie, pray that Kamara signs a new deal and I doubt Roofe is going anywhere. If we have to sell a player, I'd let Hagi go for big bucks, for the sole reason he doesn't seem to fit our system, and is generally left out the big games, to date. We need a bit more pace in the final 3rd. But, I'll trust whatever our management team does, we're on the up and up.

According to the bitter Celtic supporter I work with Gerrard is leaving at the end of the season as well

I think the yare all suffering from a case of collective mentalism as he seemed to think Jose is going to be the next Celtic boss B-)

Is there nothing else he could have gotten someone to write about instead of guessing who will or who won’t be at the club next season?

For what it’s worth I reckon 4 of the 5 will still be at the club next season.

Boyd doesn't get Alfie like we do for some reason.

Kamara may or may not sign a new deal.

I believe he was going to. He leaves and we probably are weakened.

Very much a speculative article and boyds been great for a while but not sure about this. Not ridiculous but ifs buts and maybes.

I would right off Arfield yet either.

Huge summer ahead and hopefully new arrivals already sorted
What the last week has shown is that the squad isn’t big enough for a 50 to 60 match season hopefully Kamara will stay for a least another season with the incentive of CL football Zungu and Greg Stewart almost certainly won’t be around next season and with Jack and Arfield becoming liability’s there could be an argument to sign three midfield players

'Stage of career where he wants to be playing more?' - what stage do players not want to be playing?

He is struggling for an article this week - maybe ayes maybe naws - just poor this is what gets turned out.

No chance of Roofe leaving in the summer imo. Spent so long trying to get him in the first place I can’t see us punting him after a relatively successful year.
Maybe you are right but I don't think Roofe is really happy and we won't hold on to an unhappy player, I may be wrong but his body language and just the way he looks to me suggest that he could go, remember the players Boyd is talking about will feel they are starters and won't be happy not being on the team sheet every game, one thing I am sure he is right about is the right back position where Gérard will prefer Tav but to me Patterson is a far superior player and may feel he does not want to play second fiddle to Tav after next season, we shall see.

Normally agree with what Boyd writes but that article was garbage!

Theres every chance all those mentioned will still be here next season, absolute guess work by Boydy here.

Kamara and Morelos maybe but Roofe and Arfield too? We simplay cant afford another high turnover or players, this squad have gelled really well.

Five players in / out at the most.

Will be a sad day whenever we lose Alfie. What a character and what a player he is. Delighted he will be collecting a league winners medal this season. He deserves it.
Rangers are bigger than any player.
Alfie will take a part of my love for Rangers with him.
A part even Laudrup didn't take away. Or Albertz.
We will be weaker when he goes. Much weaker.
Gazza took a wee bit, and TIAR with him, but that's for another day

I'm getting the sand bags set up for the incoming that's likely to follow.
Roofe and Itten moving on would not be a disaster IMO.
Morelos frightens the opposition. They don't.

There will be more of that lot playing their last game
Unfortunately

And we are not selling half a team

Does anyone really believe Boyd writes these articles? They pay him for his name to be used. No one should take it seriously or the rest of the shit in the newspapers.

Scattergun approach.
If Morelos goes then Roofe gets the game time he wants provided he remains fit.
Kamara is a possibility especially Euro performance related.

Hagi depends on how both he and Rangers feel he has progressed over the last year.

I wonder if any other team that wins there domestic league 2 months early, still un defeated, 20 points clear and reached the last 16 of the europa league get as much neg press as we do?

An article based on the sum total of Boyd being asked to say something vaguely contentious by the editor that has little or no merit beyond him thinking aloud.

Alfie leaving would be no surprise to anyone, but thereafter it’s just a series of increasingly flimsy brain farts.

Kamara not having signed a contract means hee haw at this stage. The support he received from his manager and team mates in the wake of the Kudela incident won’t have been lost on him. If a huge bid comes in for him though I’m sure we’ll listen and then it’ll be down to the player to decide what he wants to do, but the idea he’s eager to leave the club isn’t one I think has any grounding.

Ditto Hagi, Arfield and Roofe.

The Romanian is rumoured to be attracting attention from some notable clubs and if one of them offers an eight figure sum for him there is a chance we could do a deal, but I’ve seen or heard no evidence that he’s disgruntled at not playing every week and therefore looking for a way out.

It’s at this point Boyd’s grasp of what he’s trying to say flits from the tenuous to the ludicrous.

Arfield and Roofe have only been bit part players this season in large part through injury, but even then they’ve still managed to contribute significantly to our successes.

Why then would they be bemoaning limited first team opportunities and looking for an exit?

Just stick with the grinning, Kris.

good , bad or indifferent
Alfredo is one player i hope we don't lose, on his day he is unplayable and our most important player in our team, very frustrating at times too but they guy gets a seriously raw deal in this shithole of a league from our the cheating biased refereeing decicions every time,

Morelos will stay. Roofe will be away imo
I know there has been injury issues but Roofe has been a major disappointment for me. I would put Hagi in the same bracket. If Roofe is still here then he in no way can be a Morelos replacement.

I know there has been injury issues but Roofe has been a major disappointment for me. I would put Hagi in the same bracket. If Roofe is still here then he in no way can be a Morelos replacement.
A major disappointment how? He was arguably our best player for 2 months or so straight before christmas. Fair enough injuries have knocked him off his stride and can't get form back, but he clearly has bags of talent.

There is no way were turning over this amount of players in the summer. Seems Boyd has no idea how a squad works. Not every player is a starter every game.
Reading between the lines, and reading the actual lines, of the article it seems Boyd has no idea how journalism works.

An assortment of maybe, could be, dont get me started, then again.... etc.

Obvs Morelos and his Agent have been move fishing for some time and Rangers only held on because they knew how important this season was and a ready/like replacement wasnt on the cards. Obvs bids will come. Obvs its prime time for Rangers to sell him and it would be a massive surprise if he stayed. The truth is its also prime time for him to move and staying beyond the summer may not be best for either party.

Arfield could go but into his 30s will another club pay his wages or a reasonable fee, particularly after hes been injured? I like him and hes done well for Rangers, just doesnt have the mobility or robustness needed now.

Kamara has been a deal. A steal. No doubt many clubs would want him and he would be a big loss. Comes down to how much he wants to go/stay and what fee could Rangers get. 50/50 what happens.

Hagi looks to me like an excellent player whos just not suited to the kick and rushery of the SPFL. Id like him to stay and become a regular but he would have no shortage of suitors and Rangers may feel its not working out quite as well as hoped.

Roofe is a very good but its no good when he can only play 50% of games due to injuries. Even coming back its debatable how often hes actually running at top form/fitness given the stop/start nature of his time. A pity as he could be really good if available more often.

Back