Rangers ace Morelos could play in last Celtic Old Firm on Sunday along with Hagi, Roofe, Kamara & Arfield, says Boyd

Don’t agree with that. I don’t see any chance of Gerrard letting that amount of players go.

I think two first team players max will leave.

You then have guys like Zungu, Defoe and Greg Stewart who will leave as their contracts expire.

Guys like Jones and The Fridge out on loan who are likely to be moved on if possible.

That is plenty of departures.

We will look to supplement that with 4 or 5 signings coming in. Probably a couple of bosmans and a couple of fees paid for hopefully the quality players we need to kick the team on.

Boyd has been on the sauce early this week I think.

I'm not sure where all this Roofe stuff is coming from. He's been getting some amount of stick recently and much as his form has dipped a little you can still see he's a quality player.
If we were to sell Alfie I can't see us selling Roofe, or Itten for that matter.
As for Arfield, much will depend on him. If he's happy to stick it out as a very useful squad player I'd keep him.
Hagi, is a youngish player who's struggled at previous clubs to retain first team football. So, I see him as a player we're developing with a view to cashing in in him should he get that level of consistency he needs.
Kamara's profile is big at the moment and he's been playing some excellent football. I think he's a decent bloke who's maybe keeping his options open but in doing so isn't making a big deal about it.
It's the fringe players such as Stewart, Barker, Jones & possibly Defoe (unless he takes up a coaching role) that are likely to be let go.
I don't think we'll see much movement until we play the champions league qualifiers. Get thru them and players like Alfie & Kamara are likely to want to stay.

There was a discussion on Twitter last weekend about Roofe and one of the guys in it was adamant Roofe's family had moved back down south a few weeks ago,anyone know if this is true or not?

You wouldn't be gutted if Morelos leaves? He's one of our best and most important players. When he's gone you'll see just what we'll miss!
Everyone will but he has gave us some ride and very few will grudge him the big money move when it comes along, the CL may have added an element of doubt to his plans as whenever you hear of players moving from big to bigger clubs the reason given is they want to play CL.

Celtic have wholesale changes coming their way. A new manager is coming in and he’s going to rip apart that squad.

You've basically done the same to us in a sense, Kris.

Maybe you are right but I don't think Roofe is really happy and we won't hold on to an unhappy player, I may be wrong but his body language and just the way he looks to me suggest that he could go, remember the players Boyd is talking about will feel they are starters and won't be happy not being on the team sheet every game, one thing I am sure he is right about is the right back position where Gérard will prefer Tav but to me Patterson is a far superior player and may feel he does not want to play second fiddle to Tav after next season, we shall see.
Never seen so much drivel in a single post before

You wouldn't be gutted if Morelos leaves? He's one of our best and most important players. When he's gone you'll see just what we'll miss!
Yes agreed but we’ve had more than enough time to get used to it. Every transfer window. And I recognise we will need to sell probably two starters.

Kamara is key to our ball retention in midfield and Roofe with a pre season avoiding injuries and suspensions could also be key next season. His movement is excellent and a strong creative midfield will be able to supply him. We won’t have a ‘first eleven’ as such. Or rather our first eleven will change back and forth throughout the season due to form or injury. I think the time has come to cash in on Morelos and Hagi at the right price. More controversially, if we are to balance the books and also strengthen, we might consider selling Tav but only for silly money. Patterson is a more than able replacement and we could buy or develop a young back up for the position.We can’t afford the luxury of two top class wing backs vying for the same position. I can’t see how positionally they could be accommodated in the same team. The cash could be put towards other areas of the team that require strengthening.

You can take the article two ways.

1. (The logical one) There's not a chance we're selling that number of important players this summer. A settled squad whilst Celtic need a new manager and a likely overhaul of players is absolutely crucial to next season. I'd imagine a maximum of 3 important players will go - I can see Hagi being sold, I can see Roofe leaving if we get a good offer and one of Morelos/Borna/Kamara will go

2. (The unlikely one) This title win has given Gerrard and the board breathing space. No more greeting about stopping 8/9/10 or else. A squad overhaul of that size is never ideal but selling a big number of assets would allow us to rebuild not only on areas we need clear upgrades in but better squad depth and get the club on a more even financial footing instead of relying constantly on the directors plugging the gaps.

The key factor in all of this will be our ability to make a sale. We still haven't demonstrated we can extract top dollar from buying parties. I still think clubs look at us as being skint and chuck us any old shíte offer.

Who we sell will be who we are willing to sell if the fees meet or go beyond our valuations
Much like we didn't sell Alfie last Summer when our valuation wasn't met
We have potentially a massive reason for players we want to keep staying

I don’t get why people are annoyed, it’s an opinion piece, and he has given his opinion. And none of it is outrageous.

It’s highly unlikely all will go but also highly unlikely all will still be here. The most likely outcome is 1 or 2 of those mentioned will be sold.

All that work getting us to where we are now and on the cusp of playing in the Champions league and they leave?

Nah not for me, especially players like Alfie, Hagi and Arfield.

Although I'd happily replace Roofe in the summer.

I more or less agree with Boyd there. Gutted if we lose Kamara but let’s face it a decent showing in the Euros and offers we can’t refuse will come. Morelos is a difficult one again if we get an offer of around the £20 million mark we take it. Hagi has a very good football brain but my opinion is he’s far to much of a luxury at times,a decent offer we sell. Roofe injuries and suspensions his season has been stop start,he may well stay but no huge loss if he goes. Arfield has been good for us but injuries are beginning to catch up with him but he could stay for one more season.

Hagi for £15m
Morelos for £25m
Kamara for £25m
Helander for £18m
Arfeild for £2m

That’s my list of departures. Simpson will replace Helander, Wright for Hagi, Orbaforth (probably got the spelling wrong) for Kamara.

That’s a striker and a utility midfielder. Then get backup for Wright and Orbaforth. Probably spend £25m of the £85m or so from that, plus what we get from the Champions League. I’d also pay back some of the investors, draw down some of the debt to make the Balkan economy sheet look good. Id like to use £15m to invest in the stadium and training complex for Rangers 150th.

Hagi for £15m
Morelos for £25m
Kamara for £25m
Helander for £18m
Arfeild for £2m

That’s my list of departures. Simpson will replace Helander, Wright for Hagi, Orbaforth (probably got the spelling wrong) for Kamara.

That’s a striker and a utility midfielder. Then get backup for Wright and Orbaforth. Probably spend £25m of the £85m or so from that, plus what we get from the Champions League. I’d also pay back some of the investors, draw down some of the debt to make the Balkan economy sheet look good. Id like to use £15m to invest in the stadium and training complex for Rangers 150th.
Not a chance we are getting 2m for Scott Arfield. Not a hope.
A Bournemouth Centre half replacing a Swedish international is a potential disaster in waiting and I won’t even go into replacing a Finnish international quality footballer with a guy who can’t even get a game for Wycombe Wanderers (no offense to the lad either)
If helander goes I’d be happy bringing Niko back into the team leaving Simpson as back up - maybe even loan him for first half of season to get him up to speed with the Scottish game.
If Kamara does leave then money will need to be spent. I think Scott will stay next season then make a decision on his career then.

Hagi for £15m
Morelos for £25m
Kamara for £25m
Helander for £18m
Arfeild for £2m

You been playing puff puff pass?

Does anyone really believe Boyd writes these articles? They pay him for his name to be used. No one should take it seriously or the rest of the shit in the newspapers.
What makes you think he would lend his name to some faceless journo when he has such a high media profile? He literally earns his living by talking about football. #baffult

Next season is massive for us. Champions league qualification would overturn the club.

Direct qualification to the following years CL also makes next season’s league title a must win. Let’s hope our rivals continue in clusterfuck mode but we cannot countenance wholesale squad change.

There was a discussion on Twitter last weekend about Roofe and one of the guys in it was adamant Roofe's family had moved back down south a few weeks ago,anyone know if this is true or not?

Roofe's family have never lived in Glasgow, they have always stayed down south near Birmingham.

Another non starter story founded on twitter.

If Morelos goes Roofe's not going anywhere. Probably If Morelos stays with the temptation of playing Champions League Football for us Roofe's not going anywhere either. And new strikers don't always hit the ground or net running. We would back to the days of throwing a Mohsni up into the Strikers role if that happens.

Maybe you are right but I don't think Roofe is really happy and we won't hold on to an unhappy player, I may be wrong but his body language and just the way he looks to me suggest that he could go, remember the players Boyd is talking about will feel they are starters and won't be happy not being on the team sheet every game, one thing I am sure he is right about is the right back position where Gérard will prefer Tav but to me Patterson is a far superior player and may feel he does not want to play second fiddle to Tav after next season, we shall see.
A far superior player to one who has banged in countless goals and contributed numerous assists?

Maybe in time.

ALFREDO MORELOS could be about to play in his last ever Old Firm game.
For different reasons the same goes for Glen Kamara, Kemar Roofe, Ianis Hagi and Scott Arfield.
Alfredo Morelos celebrates Rangers' title win' title win

If you ask me, there’s a real chance all these players will be on their way out of Rangers at the end of the season.
It’s up for debate. They all played their part in the club’s title glory, which was the be all and end all.
But Steven Gerrard will be thinking of improvement with the league campaign coming to an end.
And there will be men shown the door.

Morelos has been linked with moves away from Ibrox almost since the day and hour he arrived.
So it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if he was let go. There’s every chance offers will come in and it could be the time to cash in.
Kamara has been in talks over a new deal for months and as yet there’s been no agreement.
Reading between the lines, that’s not going to happen.
With Roofe, Hagi and Arfield, we’re talking about players who haven’t ever let the club down.

But they haven’t been regular starters either and they are maybe thinking it’s time for them to find new clubs.
They’re all at the stage of their careers where they probably want to play more.
Gerrard has some decisions to make and I can guarantee he’ll be talking to the players about their futures and having conversations with their agents too.
All that will matter to him right now is building for next season and making the team better.

Let’s get it right, Rangers did magnificently to win the title. They have been the best team in the country by a mile and no one can knock them.
But the cup exits to St Mirren and St Johnstone were reminders that there is still room for improvement. The truth is, there always is.
That’s what it’s like at a club like Rangers. Winning the league doesn’t mean anyone is safe.
No one in that changing room can afford to relax. No chance.
Gerrard won’t have that mentality because he’s striving to be the best manager he can possibly be. He won’t be satisfied with one title and neither he should.

He’ll have unanswered questions about some players and that’s where tomorrow’s Old Firm game could give him an opportunity to see who really wants to be part of his plans next season.
Let’s get it right, the match means virtually nothing.
OK, Rangers are looking to finish the season unbeaten. They haven’t lost at Ibrox and that’s an incentive.
And Celtic will be eager to win at least one derby this season.
But in the grand scheme of things it’s hardly a huge deal, is it?
The season is over for both clubs and the big prize is already done and dusted.

Also, spare me this idea it’s a chance to lay down a marker for next season. That’s nonsense.
Celtic have wholesale changes coming their way. A new manager is coming in and he’s going to rip apart that squad.
There’s every chance the team is going to be unrecognisable, so what kind of marker gets laid down in this game? Honestly, I’ve never heard so much rubbish. For me it’s more important to Rangers because of the players who are fighting for their futures.
Gerrard isn’t going anywhere, so if he’s unsure about anyone this is a game he can learn things from.
But is he going to be able to give anyone any guarantees?
I don’t think Arfield, Roofe or Hagi would be in any hurry to leave Ibrox if they felt there was regular football there for them. But I wonder if their patience could be wearing thin now.

They have maybe decided it’s time for a fresh challenge having won the title and I don’t think anyone could really blame them for that.
For the rest of the squad, there has to be a desire to kick on again. Look at James Tavernier who has just signed a new contract. He’s been at the club a long time but has only just felt what it’s like to win something. I hope he likes it and wants more of it.
But even the skipper has a challenge ahead of him with Nathan Patterson breathing down his neck.
For what it’s worth I hope he gets picked for Scotland’s squad for the Euros, even if he’s not going to start the games.
Stephen O’Donnell is the No 1 right-back and I can’t see Steve Clarke changing his mind on that before the tournament.
But Patterson is going to be an international player, it’s only a matter of time. And with the squad numbers increasing from 23 players to 26, I really hope Patterson makes it to the Euros.

For me there is absolutely no point in taking three experienced players who weren’t going to make the initial squad.
It should be young players who get the chance to experience a tournament because that’s only going to help them in the future.
Patterson has to go. OK it’s a bit of a setback that he’s been banned for the final few games of the season, but he’s still done enough to be included.
He’s been a revelation since breaking into the Rangers team this season and has handled the step up comfortably.
Just like Rangers have won the league.
Missed out JD in the headline

Oh, it's that time again is it?

Although he is ambitious, I don't see Alfie as someone totally money orientated.

So long as he is comfortable - and his family here and back home are comfortable, then he is happy.

He is happy at Rangers too.

I can see Kamara and Roofe being sold in the summer to generate funds and freshen the squad.

Boyd doesn't get Alfie like we do for some reason.

Kamara may or may not sign a new deal.

I believe he was going to. He leaves and we probably are weakened.

Very much a speculative article and boyds been great for a while but not sure about this. Not totally ridiculous but ifs buts and maybes and a bit all over the place. Did he even write it?

I wouldn't right off Arfield yet either.

Huge summer ahead and hopefully new arrivals already sorted
Arfield has a year left in his contract, to me he will see it through then go to a club like hibs/ hearts.

When we look at who will leave by the end of next season then we need to get signing quality soon.
It takes time settle here.
Stick ons are stewart, jones, barker, edumunson, balogun, davis , defoe , arfield and mcgregor.
Thats 9 and doubts remain over Katic long term.
Bassey, middleton and hastie wont make it either.
Then we need to start thinking about the quality who may be sold outwith the above.
We need to be careful we dont loose the gain we have made on the tims.

IMO on their day both Hagi and Roofe look like the kind of player we want at Rangers, unfortunately those days just don't happen enough and I believe neither shows the necessary consistency.

There is no chance in hell we'll just dismantle a title winning team like that.

Sure, some may leave but Morelos, Roofe, Hagi and Arfield all at once ? Nonsense.

There is no chance in hell we'll just dismantle a title winning team like that.

Sure, some may leave but Morelos, Roofe, Hagi and Arfield all at once ? Nonsense.
Scott Arfield, 32. Least likely of any of them to go anywhere. Then Roofe is next who won’t go anywhere. I think he understands his “lack” of game time is down to his own injuries and suspensions predominantly. The others could move. Sure.

Back