Rangers are closing in on the signing of South African international Bongani Zungu - The Scotsman

On the same day that Dortmund are signing a 17 year old for 22m who has barely kicked a ball, we've got folk telling us 3.5m for an international player is too much?
For some bizarre reason people seem to insist the going rate for players is based on what we've paid recently or what they think Morelos is worth.

What a sap on your energy this board can be at times.

A midfielder coming in from France for a few million and rather than get excited by the prospect all people can do is compare it to Gascoigne coming in.

If this boy signs he'll get ten to fifteen games before a judgement will be approaching fully formed but he'll get every chance to be a star from this poster.

So we end up with Davis, Jack and Zungo at home to Ross County?
Where did I say that and what has that got to do with how dreadful our midfield was before lockdown? I've been banging on about playing 4-2-3-1 for months now, play Zungu/Davis and Jack/Kamara as the 2, then let Hagi, Arfield and Aribo fight it out for the #10.

I am lost at this signing to be honest! I would have our money or funds would be going on players to break defences down not break up play?
Of course I will get slated but attacking players are always dearer and for me players who sit and break up play are hardly in high demand
We are not going to sign a number 10, we just signed Hagi.

We need a box-to-box midfielder, a right winger/inside forward who can score goals and a striker that will be able to either replace Morelos this season or next (forward planning). The 3 prioritys.

What would you say if the Tims were linked with him?
I would withhold judgment because I don't know much about the player.

People laughed at them spending £7m on Jullien, laughed more when he had a shaky start and they ended up laughing at us in the end.

Hopefully it will be similar with Zungu but he already doesn't have our full support.

Watched his Youtube highlights when we were first linked and now just sat and watched his last game for Amiens away to Marseille.

Against Marseille he played as a 6, the deepest midfielder for Amiens but still used his engine and pace to get about the pitch. Won 7 of his 12 defensive duels (3/4 aerially, 5/8 on the ground) and I found him to be quite nippy when the other team had possession. Closes down space and players really well with his acceleration. One or two dirty tackles which will please folk on here, definitely not scared to get rough.

Took a closer look in to the stats to see if he is usually as good defensively and he is 19th in Ligue 1 for recoveries p90 and 10th for counter-pressing recoveries p90 (suits our pressing game).

On the ball is what we really want to know though, as for the majority of every game we'll be in possession. In this game he didn't have too much possession, but it was always a forward pass when he did (to be expected in his position, although it can be easy to play it backwards against tough opposition). Technically efficient, there was instances when he was under pressure and still completed a pass, sometimes not the right one as his body shape can be a bit too narrow when receiving, but very comfortable on the ball.

He played a really good pass forward which put Guirassy through in the box and won a penalty, and to back they type of passes up he is 11th in Ligue 1 for progressive passes p90. He has a good range.

I think we'll play him as a box to box 8. Some of his play as a number 10 for South Africa looks very decent (not seen a full game, only highlights) and he is clearly very decent as a number 6 for Amiens.

P.S watching that makes me utterly gutted we didn't get Guirassy.

thanks for the info mate,very decent post

People laughed at them spending £7m on Jullien, laughed more when he had a shaky start and they ended up laughing at us in the end.

Hopefully it will be similar with Zungu but he already doesn't have our full support.

His career to date hasn't been impressive but he, like any signing, gets the chance to impress.

His career to date hasn't been impressive but he, like any signing, gets the chance to impress.
Let's be honest mate, we know exactly how these signings go with the support.

Unless it's something that's been hyped for months, loads of us write them off as shit and then sit in the stands for his first game waiting for a mistake they can moan about for weeks.

People in the stands away to Progres were calling Morelos useless after half an hour.

I could probably count on one hand games where we've lost the midfield battle since Gerrard has been manager.

Apart from some European games, our midfield dominate possession.
Possession numbers are for the birds.
Cashing in on domination is what counts.;)

But he hasn't been playing there, can't exactly judge his goal tally for a position he hasn't been playing in. Box to box midfielders don't even score massive amounts of goals either, 5-10 is an acceptable amount for them.

He's scored 14 in his career.

Box to box midfielders like Robson, Gerrard and de Bruyne score goals.

Still need someone box to box with creativity coming from midfield.

For example ... 4-2-3-1 midfield/forwards

New signing Zungu

New signing Hagi Kent

Morelos/New Signing
If the stories of his sex life are true I think he goes box to box. ;)

Watched his Youtube highlights when we were first linked and now just sat and watched his last game for Amiens away to Marseille.

Against Marseille he played as a 6, the deepest midfielder for Amiens but still used his engine and pace to get about the pitch. Won 7 of his 12 defensive duels (3/4 aerially, 5/8 on the ground) and I found him to be quite nippy when the other team had possession. Closes down space and players really well with his acceleration. One or two dirty tackles which will please folk on here, definitely not scared to get rough.

Took a closer look in to the stats to see if he is usually as good defensively and he is 19th in Ligue 1 for recoveries p90 and 10th for counter-pressing recoveries p90 (suits our pressing game).

On the ball is what we really want to know though, as for the majority of every game we'll be in possession. In this game he didn't have too much possession, but it was always a forward pass when he did (to be expected in his position, although it can be easy to play it backwards against tough opposition). Technically efficient, there was instances when he was under pressure and still completed a pass, sometimes not the right one as his body shape can be a bit too narrow when receiving, but very comfortable on the ball.

He played a really good pass forward which put Guirassy through in the box and won a penalty, and to back they type of passes up he is 11th in Ligue 1 for progressive passes p90. He has a good range.

I think we'll play him as a box to box 8. Some of his play as a number 10 for South Africa looks very decent (not seen a full game, only highlights) and he is clearly very decent as a number 6 for Amiens.

From that you would have to wonder why they used him sparingly.

He was appointed head of recruitment. The DOF is the one who is the real head of transfers. He only signed players in one window. He made Ings permanent p, brought in Djenepo, brought in Adams and Kevin Danso on loan.
You might be right mate im just going by what ive read on line.

He was in the match day squad 23 times last season (shortened).

Started 9 games and played 90 mins 5 times.

That’s absolutely brutal honestly. Folk are kidding themselves in if they’re defending that. There’s not a single player in our team that we’d get anywhere near £3.5 million for if they had similar amount of game time, yet people expect a bit part player at Amiens for 3.5 mil to be a good signing? Not a chance

That’s absolutely brutal honestly. Folk are kidding themselves in if they’re defending that. There’s not a single player in our team that we’d get anywhere near £3.5 million for if they had similar amount of game time, yet people expect a bit part player at Amiens for 3.5 mil to be a good signing? Not a chance

We’d be lucky to get a player with 9 starts off the books let’s face it

All the noises from the club this summer make me think that he’ll be used as a 6. I definitely think that now from the profile you’ve gave of him being good defensively etc. If we manage to get a goal scoring midfield, quality right wing, quality striker and centre half on top of this I’ll be delighted.

No.

He is not good enough.

If he wasn't related to Barry and Derek he wouldn't even be brought up on here either.
Young Ferguson some day soon,will make his
doubters look very silly imo.
Exactly the type we need to compete in this league.Would much rather have him,that sign
some unknown African,and hope he can handle the SPL.Probably get him for half the rumoured money being banded about also.

That's because the players in our squad with comparable game time are generally quite useless.

Amiens have a number of players that will go for big money this summer.

None of us know much, if anything, about him.

We don’t know what role he would fill. We don’t know what any fee would be.

We don’t know if there is any truth in the rumour.

We either trust the management team or we don’t.
Of course that is spot on. Nevertheless, it’s a discussion board and people are bound to speculate on what we need and whether or not he can deliver

Good informative post msf

The article that started all this today says he is a "3.5 million rated player". Not that we are paying that for him.

No doubt it'll be more between the £1 and £2 million mark.

Looks neat and tidy, and much like Jack, or Davis ..or in some respects Hagi.
But we need an enforcer.
Someone who will win the ball, and make good use of it.
We already have players who can spray passes, and box to box.

Would much rather we also signed Ferguson. Tried and trusted for this league.
No brainer.

Julian is an average centre half who lets be honest isn’t better than our centre halves! He was tore to shreds by dykes, cosgrove, Morelos numerous times so i don’t get the comparison

Not saying we ain’t interested in him, we just don’t know same goes for Scottish media. But £3.5M no way are we paying that for a player who cannot get a regular place in a team that have won only 4 games all season.

Young Ferguson some day soon,will make his
doubters look very silly imo.
Exactly the type we need to compete in this league.Would much rather have him,that sign
some unknown African,and hope he can handle the SPL.Probably get him for half the rumoured money being banded about also.
Why is he "unknown"? Because you only watch Rangers games?

29 caps for South Africa, played in Ligue 1, Premiera Liga & would have played La Liga if Amiens didn't pull the plug on that deal last minute.

He is technically miles ahead of Ferguson will ever be, and is a big, strong guy who puts his weight about too. I'm not sure he will be a great signing or not, have not seen enough & the injurys make me worry, however Lewis Ferguson is pish. He'll never get as many international caps or play in any of the top 5 leagues yet Zungu is "unknown" and Ferguson isn't. Don't make me laugh.

Julian is an average centre half who lets be honest isn’t better than our centre halves! He was tore to shreds by dykes, cosgrove, Morelos numerous times so i don’t get the comparison
I'm not willing to have an in depth conversation about a Celtic player but I suggest you go back and watch our defence vs theirs and look into some data.

Looks as if he is tidy on the ball and can pick a pass out.
Shows signs of having excellent vision. His playing time in the past two seasons is a little concerning, but on that video it's easy to appreciate why we might have him on our radar.

Why is he "unknown"? Because you only watch Rangers games?

29 caps for South Africa, played in Ligue 1, Premiera Liga & would have played La Liga if Amiens didn't pull the plug on that deal last minute.

He is technically miles ahead of Ferguson will ever be, and is a big, strong guy who puts his weight about too. I'm not sure he will be a great signing or not, have not seen enough & the injurys make me worry, however Lewis Ferguson is pish. He'll never get as many international caps or play in any of the top 5 leagues yet Zungu is "unknown" and Ferguson isn't. Don't make me laugh.
Google at work again.
Be honest now,did you ever hear his name mentioned before yesterday?

That's because the players in our squad with comparable game time are generally quite useless.

Amiens have a number of players that will go for big money this summer.

Mate that Rennes mob who finished bottom of the mentally challengeds Europa league group finished 27 points ahead of Amiens. We have a far better squad than a team sitting 2nd bottom of Ligue 1. £3.5 mil for this guy would be a farce

Hard to judge someone on a YouTube video

I have horrible feeling these signings aren’t addressing the issues of last season however.....poor at the back, lack of formation change, lack of striking options

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a feeling this season may unravel quickly if we don’t start well at Pittodrie....
I share your fears. Although you missed the most important one of all, having a bit of fight in midfield. Too many lesser teams were able to boss us in the middle last season which put unnecessary pressure on the defence.

Whilst we’re not perfect at the back, I’d much rather we toughened the midfield and found an upgrade on Kamberi first.

There’s also the question of tactics. Surely last season taught us that injuries really affect the way we play. When we have to go with Defoe we need to go with 2 up front otherwise we’re not getting the best out of him. Also, when either a Tav or Borna were injured we lost the assists they provide us. We need a plan B and plan C to go to when things aren’t working. We simply don’t have the squad depth to replace like with like and keep playing the same system.

I'm not going to show myself up by offering a completely uninformed opinion like others are.

I just find it staggering how people can admit they've never seen him but insist he's shit.

All we have to go by are his credentials/stats and they don't look great.

Back