Rangers ends at away matches in days gone by and an old pic of Ibrox.

Back in the day, at whatever ground we visited (Celtc exepted, though we did have about a third of the Jungle), every home end became the Rangers End :))

Back in the pre-segregation days, with the exception of games against that mob, we occupied all parts of the grounds concerned. One of my very happy memories from the late 60's is of standing among the Hibs supporters in their shed when we netted a last gasp winner at the other end in at midweek game.

Stood on them all,best memories,
Tynecastle, always pissing down,death trap at turnstiles
Easter Rd,winning league,75,Colin Stein scoring on Xmas Day
Rugby Park, Russian President Kosygin being there,also the day they announced over the tannoy we'd won the league, massive pitch invasion,only to find out the Tim's had scored in the 40th minute of injury time,us older bears survived the last 6 years with those memories and many many more.

Thanks for the pictures and bringing back old memories.

I would gladly go back to these grounds in a minute.

Also easier to get tkts.

Back in the pre-segregation days, with the exception of games against that mob, we occupied all parts of the grounds concerned. One of my very happy memories from the late 60's is of standing among the Hibs supporters in their shed when we netted a last gasp winner at the other end in at midweek game.

Killie-Motherwell-Falkirk etc

The stadium at the front was the white city, knocked down for the M8 motorway.
Spent many a night at the dugs at the White City during my youth,late sixties early seventies.
There were 5 stadiums in the Ibrox region then.Ibrox stadium,the Albion,the White City,Tinto park(Benburb juniors) and Moorpark(st anthony juniors)Sadly all gone bar the best of all.

Back in the day, at whatever ground we visited (Celtc exepted, though we did have about a third of the Jungle), every home end became the Rangers End :))

And the towns and there pubs.

I used to love those away days, we swaggered in and took over and nobody dare stood in our way!

Brilliant photos.
3 o’clock kick offs
Proper stadiums
No phones,sky or daft drums....

I don’t know about no daft drums, I used to hate the noise of everyone at the back trying to get a tune out of the corrugated sheets that were used in the stands in those days

Been to all these grounds while they were all terracings but I haven't been to one since the all seating makeovers started,I remember when local charities would walk round at half time holding a flag out for a collection in the days when throwing coins from terracing was encouraged.

Stood in all the above ends & even remember our end used to be the Merkland terracing (directly opposite the Beach end) at Pittodrie. Seen some absolute war zones at these places.

Stood in all the above ends & even remember our end used to be the Merkland terracing (directly opposite the Beach end) at Pittodrie. Seen some absolute war zones at these places.
I'm sure the 1st time I went to Pittodrie around 1981 we had the Paddock as it was called then opposite the beach end

Alwaysr remember the incredibly high walls they had at the corners at Tannadice.As a wee boy I used to sit on the wall and hang my legs over the side until the coppers came along and you had to out your legs back over the wall.
Wouldn't dare do that at Tannadice

The terracing is there, I’m not sure if they maybe just added a roof??

They removed the upper part of the terracing, which didn’t extend the same length as the lower part, and added the roof in the 80’s.

Knew the Structural Engineer who did the work and he got pelters for using columns to support the roof at the front and ruining the sight lines.

Fantastic pics amazing , proper atmosphere them days standing with ya pals ! Could no one put away end at the piggery also I remember a pic of flag day there wish I could see that

Fantastic pics amazing , proper atmosphere them days standing with ya pals ! Could no one put away end at the piggery also I remember a pic of flag day there wish I could see that

I tried looking for Rangers end ones from the piggery but couldn’t see anything.

When ally maxwell was in goal we beat the shite 4, 2 I’m sure we had 18,000 in the awAy end special memory as darkness fell and happy bears all around was watching us instead of game was amazing

Tried to reply above but no area.
Our end would change at some grounds.
Recall Aberdeen we had the whole terrace across from main stand.
Tynecastle from school end all round under the the cover..
Most grounds gave us half main stand.

gn736.png

This is one I’ve always thought is a cracker. Rangers fans at St James’ Park for the Fairs Cup in 1969.

fo

Jesus looking at them pics of st James in 69
Can’t wait to send to my pals with me living in the toon
My best pals dad was at game said it was crazy him being a toon army man inside stadium etc was bedlam but his lasting comment was that the buses when leaving did get some hammer going home alas changed days as I know loads of toon army fans and a lot of them hate the scum for everything they stand for

Jesus looking at them pics of st James in 69
Can’t wait to send to my pals with me living in the toon
My best pals dad was at game said it was crazy him being a toon army man inside stadium etc was bedlam but his lasting comment was that the buses when leaving did get some hammer going home alas changed days as I know loads of toon army fans and a lot of them hate the scum for everything they stand for
I might be wrong but I'm sure Newcastle had the biggest away support at Ibrox,outwith the Tim's, anybody got information on how many, they seemed to have most of the terracing where the Broomloan is now.(no such thing as the ce&&&c end at Ibrox)

Some amazing memories of going to games when it was terracing, the younger Bears really have missed out, the atmosphere back then was phenomenal, I loved the the fact I could go to the games and stand with my mates, I followed Rangers everywhere late 80s and 90s and had the best times of my life.

Nothing and I mean nothing could top the feeling experienced when Rangers scored at the Piggery, it was almost indescribable.

I might be wrong but I'm sure Newcastle had the biggest away support at Ibrox,outwith the Tim's, anybody got information on how many, they seemed to have most of the terracing where the Broomloan is now.(no such thing as the ce&&&c end at Ibrox)
The biggest away support apart from the obvious it was Newcastle imo I would say 10k Geordies in the west terrace like just over half of that terrace looking from the Rangers end

Used to go there in late 1940s to watch the speedway. Sure the team were called the Tigers.
I went in the 60's to the speedway and they were of course called the Glasgow Tigers, the star rider at that time was a guy called Charlie Monk !

Been in every one if then them as they are in the photos

The Tannadice terrace. My old man always said that it was steeper before they upgraded it to the concrete terrace!

The 2-2 game in April 1973 was a war zone in the Beach End
with bottles and cans flying back and forward... :eek:

Yep, my old man was at that game and he said the Beach End used to be 50/50 and it was a constant hail of bottles and cans back and forward for 90 minute.

They moved the Rangers supporters up the other end the following season and we stayed up that end until the early 80s, until they shifted us back to the Beach End.

We used to get a section of the Main Stand too apparently.

Yep, my old man was at that game and he said the Beach End used to be 50/50 and it was a constant hail of bottles and cans back and forward for 90 minute.

They moved the Rangers supporters up the other end the following season and we stayed up that end until the early 80s, until they shifted us back to the Beach End.

We used to get a section of the Main Stand too apparently.

Yes, the beach end was a 50/50 split when it was terracing. I think we got moved to the other end when they installed bench seating in the 3 standing areas. I'm sure it was the police that insisted away fans were moved to the beach end a few years later.

Yes, the beach end was a 50/50 split when it was terracing. I think we got moved to the other end when they installed bench seating in the 3 standing areas. I'm sure it was the police that insisted away fans were moved to the beach end a few years later.

We were still in the Beach End for the 2-1 win in December 1974
when it was seated. My first time in the paddock would have been
for the 3-3 game in early 1977. So we were moved in that period but
I can’t remember when exactly.

I’ve heard this from a few different people who were at the game.

Would I be right in thinking that these are our floodlights... at rugby park( kilmarnock)?
Possibly. The pylons had 2 lamps each when I first went to Rugby Park. When Ibrox was redeveloped they added another 2, so they could have bought them from Rangers.

We were still in the Beach End for the 2-1 win in December 1974
when it was seated. My first time in the paddock would have been
for the 3-3 game in early 1977. So we were moved in that period but
I can’t remember when exactly.

I've seen old footage from the Scottish Cup tie in 1975 (January possibly) and the Gers support are in the other end.

That must've been the first game.

Yeah Govan Police Station sits on most of the ground occupied by the old White City Stadium, the rest of it to the back, was taken up by the construction of the M8.
I remember being taken to see Stock Car Racing at the White City in the very early sixties.

The main event at White City used to be "The Dugs",oldbassaloyal.

If memory serves me right, some of these photos don't do the grounds credit, meaning the photos don't show what it truly was like during the 60's and 70's. The massive wall at Easter Road and the slope were horrendous. Dundee United's end wall was also a scare. Tynecastle was always over-crowded and a tight squeeze. I enjoyed Thistle's old ground - great memories. Fir Park, Love Street, Rugby Park, Dens Park were great for running onto the field to celebrate. Cappielow Park, East End Park, Broomfield, Shawfield, Cathkin, and a host of others were fine in their day. Hampden at finals and internationals against England were unsafe but brilliant. Saw some great games there over the years. Parkheid in the old days was a gas because we had so many of us walking up the London Road. The new generation will never have the experience of walking with 10 or 20,000 of us to the piggery and when we won, the atmosphere was out of this world.... but dangerous too. And the best of them all was Ibrox.

The biggest away support apart from the obvious it was Newcastle imo I would say 10k Geordies in the west terrace like just over half of that terrace looking from the Rangers end

A Geordie lad I know told me his dad came up for the game.

He said they were in the ground early and it was majority Newcastle fans in the end.
However as it got closer to kick off more and more Rangers supporters came on to the terracing and he said it became quite intimidating, especially after Penman missed the penalty.

After the game him and his mates got chased down towards Govan X and ended up getting a kicking.

He never even went to the 2nd leg because of it.

It sounds like Ibrox was pretty mental for away fans back then.

Great photos, thanks for posting.
I started going to Ibrox in 1975 age 9, and my away game experiences started in 1978.
We were a bunch of tearaways from Easterhouse who lived and breathed The Rangers, and our lives revolved around school, playing fitbaw every night and going to watch our team; everywhere, anywhere, we followed on !!
I’ve been to all of those grounds and loved the away day experience. We never had any cash so it was always a freebie on the ‘football special’ from Queen Street or Central, then skipping in to the ground. There wasn’t a stadium in the country where we couldn’t find a way in for free, and it was all part of the excitement. As well as those grounds in the photos, there was always fun to be had at Cappielow, Broomfield, Kilbowie amongst others.
Great days and great memories of great players and a fan base who were, and always will be, ‘Simply The Best’.

It was a bit like a two tier terracing, you could walk along the centre of the terracing and go up to the top bit or go down to the lower bit.
They removed the top section before the put the roof on it.
I was in the top bit of terracing when we won the league way back in 75.
Me too... as a 4 year old with my gramps who took me everywhere.

Back