Rangers Greatest Team of the Modern Era

Any youngster's watching Rangers from a neutral perspective this season will be Rangers supporters next season.

Breathtaking legends one and all.

I've been thinking about goals such as Roofe's European goal of the season.

With The Gaffer pretty much admitting that it was the best goal he's ever seen live, the views that goal must have had across the world must be huge.

There's just so many of these sources showing the clip of such an incredibly memorable goal.

Would love to know which had the most hits and the cumulative total. I'll bet it must have had ½m views at least.

Alfredo over prso? Not a chance! Agree with other suggestions except for aribo... he is not the best rm we have had in the last 20 years

But we were told by the kerrydale shark tossers that "all our grandchildren will be celtic fans" as the beano used to say "chortle"
Is that right aye? Tell that to the wee man in the second picture! :shh:
E1abQAtXsAMkp7B

E1abQArXMAAk008

Joe Aribo best right mid of the last 20 years :)) and Mols over Boyd and Morelos

Is this decided on skill or actual performances?

I love the thought of our current players on their holidays across the globe watching these videos and seeing the legendary players that have graced our game.

I was a bit surprised at Mols also, I guess it was what might have been, no injury then he’s one of the best you ever watch in a Rangers jersey.

There’s no doubt that technically Mols was the better player. But in terms of actual performances and stats, he wouldn’t be in the top 3, never mind number 1.

Tavernier over Ricksen all day.

Surprised to see Bougherra score so low as well. I’d have him over Goldson alongside Amoruso.

Genuinely shocked that there are objections to Mols.

Injury or not, his pre-injury form was quite simply breathtaking. He is without doubt one of the few players we have had in the modern era who was genuinely world class. Opposition teams at times had to triple up on him to contain him, and even that was barely enough. Sure Boyd had his finishing, but he barely brought anything but goals to the table. In terms of breaking teams down he was virtually a passenger. Morelos is a much stronger argument for what he overall provides to the team, but put it this was, if we sold morelos tomorrow and our replacement was a pre-injury mols equivalent, that's an upgrade and none of us would be missing fredo!

Mols was a player who played football the way you want to see it played. An unpredictable, intelligent and skillful striker who only didn't become a household name in Europe because he was kept out of the national team by Bergkamp and Kluivert.

Alfredo over prso? Not a chance! Agree with other suggestions except for aribo... he is not the best rm we have had in the last 20 years
Prso over Alfredo? Surely not man. Did Prso even score 30 goals for us in a similar time frame?

We've had some superb players over this period. Difficult to get anyone to agree on the "best 11". Just delighted to have seen these guys performing for Rangers.

The Aribo selection is a curiosity but I struggled to come up with a better alternative. That’s not a position we’ve been overwhelmed by talent.

Most of the options would be folk who were actually out of position left wingers or full backs

Tav right back for me. Ricksen was awful for us at right back. Excellent in midfield.

Would have had Davie Weir over Goldson.

Davis didn't really play central midfield first time round, was mainly right midfield. Mcculloch, Edu, Hemdani, Mendes, Thomson, Ferguson all plated central ahead of him.

Ronald de Boer, Boyd, Miller not even in the conversation?

Good idea but its fairly flawed.

As good as Tav has been, I’d shoehorn Reyna into right back. Way ahead of Tav as a footballer, but obviously not on goals, assists.

Cueller over Goldson, Jelavic over Morelos, Tav over Ricksen, and Aribo is certainly not the best RM I’d have De Boer.

Mcgregor
Tav Amo Cueller Numan
De Boer Ferguson Gio Albertz
Mols Jelavic

Morelos is without doubt in the side. Scored more goals over two seasons than any other striker we have had in the 21st century. Our top European goal scorrer. He is in without a doubt.

Excellent compilation. Just highlights what we are missing. Desperate to get back to Ibrox.

Not sure what it's based on - ability or contribution? In either case Tav simply has to be in there.

Genuinely shocked that there are objections to Mols.

Injury or not, his pre-injury form was quite simply breathtaking. He is without doubt one of the few players we have had in the modern era who was genuinely world class. Opposition teams at times had to triple up on him to contain him, and even that was barely enough. Sure Boyd had his finishing, but he barely brought anything but goals to the table. In terms of breaking teams down he was virtually a passenger. Morelos is a much stronger argument for what he overall provides to the team, but put it this was, if we sold morelos tomorrow and our replacement was a pre-injury mols equivalent, that's an upgrade and none of us would be missing fredo!

Mols was a player who played football the way you want to see it played. An unpredictable, intelligent and skillful striker who only didn't become a household name in Europe because he was kept out of the national team by Bergkamp and Kluivert.
Unfortunately we only saw Mols at his peak for a short time but his performances in those games were of the highest level. If longevity is not a factor in selecting this team then he is our best forward of the modern era all day long.

As good as Tav has been, I’d shoehorn Reyna into right back. Way ahead of Tav as a footballer, but obviously not on goals, assists.

An outstanding midfielder, but he's way below Tav's level at full back.

I don't believe they would. I love that team but I think they would struggle to keep up with last year's team.

We did not have the pace or touch we have now.
You have to compare each team to how they were relative to other teams of the period rather than to a different age of sports science and nutrition etc.

The 92/93 team effectively reached a Champions League Semi final. As much as I love this current team we could not reach the Europa League Quarter final. Hence the 92/93 team was comparatively much better.

Unfortunately we only saw Mols at his peak for a short time but his performances in those games were of the highest level. If longevity is not a factor in selecting this team then he is our best forward of the modern era all day long.
Mols without the injury could have been one of our best ever. But taken to the extreme though, if longevity is not a factor then you would have to argue that Marco Negri perhaps showed the best form for a few months of any striker in our history but almost no one would have him in these best conversations (for good reason). So I don’t see how Mols, looking over his whole career with us, gets in this team.

Back