Rangers have won the race to sign Oldham's George Edmundson

George Edmundson undergoes Rangers medical ahead of transfer from Oldham
Steven Gerrard is close to making his sixth summer signing with the addition of the 21-year-old centre-back.

George Edmundson underwent his Rangers medical on Thursday and is expected to sign a deal before joining the Gers on their pre-season trip to Portugal.
The in-demand Oldham defender looks set to become Steven Gerrard 's sixth summer signing after a fee of £650,000 was accepted by the Boundary Park club.
Edmundson had also been the subject of bids from Peterborough and Portsmouth while Stoke, Hull and Preston were also said to be monitoring his situation.
But after having two bids turfed out by Oldham it was third time lucky for Gers with the player keen to join up with Gerrard after being given the VIP treatment on a trip to Glasgow last month.

Edmundson will provide competition to Connor Goldson and Nikola Katic in the heart of defence following Joe Worrall's return to Nottingham Forest after a loan spell and Gareth McAuley's exit.
The aggressive defender was named in the League Two team of the year after a dominant campaign with the Latics.

He made 52 appearances last season, scoring twice, and was hailed by former Oldham team mate and ex-St Johnstone winger Lee Croft.
Croft said: "He’s strong in the air, loves a tackle, but he’s came on a lot on the ball as well.
“He’s still only 21, which is young for centre backs, so there is a lot of potential there as well.
“To be honest, I thought he would have gone sooner as there has been a lot of talk about him for a good while.

“There was talk about Sunderland maybe 18 months ago and it was only a matter of time before he made the step up, whether it’s Rangers of anywhere else.
“He’s a big talent so not surprised he’s getting noticed.”
Edmundson is expected to be a Rangers player by the time Gerrard and his squad touch down in Portugal for their pre-season training camp at the weekend.
Joe Aribo could be next. The Charlton midfielder is meeting Addicks boss Lee Bowyer on Friday to decide once and for all on a new deal offer at the Championship club.
Where’s this from bud?

Playing devils advocate here but Worral, Ejaria, Grezda, Sadiq and Lafferty

Not really fair - Worral was highly rated and not exactly stinking. Lafferty was a good SPL player and I dare say had he been given a better run of games we'd have seen better from him.

No excuses for Ejaria, Grezda or the diddy from Roma but I'd say we've done pretty well with transfers the last 2.5 windows. Certainly better than the bheasts anyway.

Was a mas
Not really fair - Worral was highly rated and not exactly stinking. Lafferty was a good SPL player and I dare say had he been given a better run of games we'd have seen better from him.

No excuses for Ejaria, Grezda or the diddy from Roma but I'd say we've done pretty well with transfers the last 2.5 windows. Certainly better than the bheasts anyway.

There was a massive rebuild needed so you expect the odd one or two duffers, luckily some of them where on loan. With Laff we were getting what we thought was an 18 goals a year striker he wasnt given a run and when he was played just didnt turn up. Gredza just seems like a poor judgement of his character and not ability. Hoping Barasic gets another shot and wisens up.

Show me a manager with a 100% success rate in the transfer market and I'll show you a liar. There were indeed some poor signings last year but that was part of a huge squad over haul so perhaps could be expected.

Also, it was our Manager's first attempt so we can forgive him a few errors. Lets see how we look at the end of August. I've a feeling a lot has been learned from last summer.

maybe not as bad, but Worrall was never good enough for our club

a dislikeable sort who felt he was too good for us.

Well that just seems to me like it's personal then.

After his Killie horror show he was pretty solid for the rest of his time playing here. I agree we need better, but he did far better with us than a lot of people are making out.

Not one of our centre halves had an error-free season and it's certainly and area we could improve on.

David Bates was, Barrie Mackay was, Charlie Adam was I could go on. The individual isn’t the point it is the attitude towards developing players that is wrong and stops the club maximising revenue. We have the worst set of fans in Scotland for berating youngsters.

the individual is absolutely the point that some of the recruitment has been utterly rank rotten.

it happens, some work and some don't. but last year we brought in some real shite, namely worral who made more than one absolute fucking howler costing us in matches.

he wasn't our player to develop and most fans could see a mile off that we were nowhere nearly as good with him in the team while one of our own youngsters, katic, sat on the bench. so youre tying yourself in circles here.

he wasn't our youngster to develop.

No he wasn't, but neither was Jason Cummings when he came, but that didn't stop some on here, including a couple currently contributing to this thread, creaming themselves over a player who couldn't be further from what a Rangers player should be like, on, or off the park.

Why not ask the Forest fans who's the better player, Worrall or Cummings?

Worrall had some poor games,but far more good games.

Cummings was just plain fuc**n useless and a total embarrassment of a footballer.

Still living off one good season in the Scottish Championship.

Worrall was brutal. He will never be a top class player.

The playing of Worrall over Katic probably cost us the title.

Probably, aye?

What about being unable to beat Hibs 3 games out of 4? Or Killie ONCE all season in the league? Or losing 1-0 to Aberdeen at home who had 10 men for an hour? Or Dundee away who also had 10 men for an hour?

I wasn't a huge fan of Worrall but to say he 'probably' cost us the league is so idiotic its unreal.

The last page has been absolutely hopeless for anyone wanting to come on for the latest news on Edmundson. Can we get it back on track?

Probably, aye?

What about being unable to beat Hibs 3 games out of 4? Or Killie ONCE all season in the league? Or losing 1-0 to Aberdeen at home who had 10 men for an hour? Or Dundee away who also had 10 men for an hour?

I wasn't a huge fan of Worrall but to say he 'probably' cost us the league is so idiotic its unreal.

Worrall has too many mistakes in him and those mistakes cost us points this season.

As poor as Worral was, he done a job for us at times. I don't think you can lump him in that lot, he might not have been as succesful as Kent, Kamara or Defoe but lumping him as a disaster is wrong. However he did have a few absolute nightmares so I wouldn't class him as a out and out success either. The issue with Worral was making him a first team starter, as a squad player he would have been fine.

Ejaria had his moments but I think personal issues ruined him that's 50/50 imo

Worrall has too many mistakes in him and those mistakes cost us points this season.

He did have some good games, the key word being some. He also had a lot of howling games and him being in our defence clearly caused issues.

It wasn't the downfall of the title playing him, but he just wasn't of the required standard and we only realised too late

To be fair mate, Goldson and Katic started the season well and I’m not sure there was any need to split the partnership.

I prefer Katic and Goldson as a partnership, but Worrall sure as %^*& didn't cost us the league.

Everyone goes on about the Rugby Park howler, but that happened with an hour still to play.

Funny how McGregor throwing in Jones's passback, or Morelos's behaviour at the Piggery, or against Aberdeen at Ibrox never gets a mention.

Don't remember Gerrard telling Worrall he'd let the club down and had to apologise.

Certain folk on here, wouldn't even call them Rangers fans, have particular players they don't like and can't wait to blame them.

We should support all our players and treat them equally.

Anyway back to Edmundson.

No he wasn't, but neither was Jason Cummings when he came, but that didn't stop some on here, including a couple currently contributing to this thread, creaming themselves over a player who couldn't be further from what a Rangers player should be like, on, or off the park.

Why not ask the Forest fans who's the better player, Worrall or Cummings?

Worrall had some poor games,but far more good games.

Cummings was just plain fuc**n useless and a total embarrassment of a footballer.

Still living off one good season in the Scottish Championship.

I don't disagree with any of what you are saying, with the exception of comparing a shit central defender to a shit forward - irrelevant and i'm not sure what you are getting at.

That aside, the point of my original post on this entire thread was the fact that there was a staunch defence of player signings under Gerrard / Allen, to which another poster highlighted that there have been some howlers in there as well. They are not immune to criticism, and that will - and should - remain the case. at no point should complacency set in and at no point should anyone at Rangers be bulletproof and exempt from being called out when decisions have gone wrong.

I agreed with the individual who referenced some real shit that we have signed in the last twelve months, which is a fact. It happens though, and is a natural part of football - some work and some don't. Some are shite (worral included, he's shite), and others work out well. that will continue to be the case until long after any of us are pan breed.

Re: Edmundson specifically, I would hazard a guess that 0.01% of this forum, or indeed our wider fanbase, had heard of him until we were linked. That is not to say he will be shite, and equally that is not to say he will be a world beater. However to those who are turning themselves inside out over this signing, my view is that it would be best to give a relatively un-tested player a chance, seeing it as a squad addition with a longer term prospect for development, whilst also acknowledging that he is not likely to walk into our starting XI and make a fundamental difference from the word go

some of the reactionary shit on here is utterly baffling. cunts tying themselves in knots over this. weird.

I prefer Katic and Goldson as a partnership, but Worrall sure as %^*& didn't cost us the league.

Everyone goes on about the Rugby Park howler, but that happened with an hour still to play.

Funny how McGregor throwing in Jones's passback, or Morelos's behaviour at the Piggery, or against Aberdeen at Ibrox never gets a mention.

Don't remember Gerrard telling Worrall he'd let the club down and had to apologise.

Certain folk on here, wouldn't even call them Rangers fans, have particular players they don't like and can't wait to blame them.

We should support all our players and treat them equally.

Anyway back to Edmundson.
Yeah, fair dos. I do wish we’d given Katic more of a chance. I don’t think we’d have been any worse off. Will be interesting to see what happens with Edmundson coming and in and presumably another CB also.

Last edited:
People forget this. Some of the signings have been utterly fucking horrendous.

Talk about an over exaggeration.

Worrall was not horrendous at all.
Ejaria was an important player for us during the qualifiers and scored the goal that led us to the Europa league group stage. I don't think ability let him down though, more so his mentality.

I don't disagree with any of what you are saying, with the exception of comparing a shit central defender to a shit forward - irrelevant and i'm not sure what you are getting at.

That aside, the point of my original post on this entire thread was the fact that there was a staunch defence of player signings under Gerrard / Allen, to which another poster highlighted that there have been some howlers in there as well. They are not immune to criticism, and that will - and should - remain the case. at no point should complacency set in and at no point should anyone at Rangers be bulletproof and exempt from being called out when decisions have gone wrong.

I agreed with the individual who referenced some real shit that we have signed in the last twelve months, which is a fact. It happens though, and is a natural part of football - some work and some don't. Some are shite (worral included, he's shite), and others work out well. that will continue to be the case until long after any of us are pan breed.

Re: Edmundson specifically, I would hazard a guess that 0.01% of this forum, or indeed our wider fanbase, had heard of him until we were linked. That is not to say he will be shite, and equally that is not to say he will be a world beater. However to those who are turning themselves inside out over this signing, my view is that it would be best to give a relatively un-tested player a chance, seeing it as a squad addition with a longer term prospect for development, whilst also acknowledging that he is not likely to walk into our starting XI and make a fundamental difference from the word go

some of the reactionary shit on here is utterly baffling. cunts tying themselves in knots over this. weird.

True, I hadn't heard of Katic and Goldson before they signed. Didn't panic about it or think they would be amazing. Just have to see the boy play and what he has to offer. Although mostly the loans that have been unsuccessful the actual signings have been spot on (yes Grezda i know I know). Haven't seen much of Polster either and guys wanting him out the door... canny get my head round it.

Great news. Hope this lad develops into a cracking addition to the squad

Now for Aribo, Kent this weekend too :)

Back