Rangers Statement on Edmondson and Jones breaking Covid regulations

I get where you're coming from but imo Tav and Barisic aren't that stupid. They've proven time and again that the boss can trust them. That's why they're starting every week.

The question should be, if Jones and George were regular starters would they have made the decisions they made last night?
I wouldn't expect them to be that stupid either and only used them as examples as they are arguably our most influential players at the moment.

I would worry it leaves us in a difficult situation should an important first team player breaks rules.
Well, I think we can make several inferences between professionalism and performance on the park? The better players work hard at it and as such, are far less likely to pull stupid shit like this? Rendering your hypothetical question redundant.

Pair of absolute idiots and the worst of it is for me that if they had not been caught, they could have caused our entire squad to have to isolate, therefore points and potentially a vital title.

I do not see how this can be mitigated. Both need to be suspended, forced to train alone until the window and then punted for whatever we can get.
That's not sacked though is it?

Maybe my examples weren't the best because of how professional those 2 players are, however nobody can say for certain.

I can't see how the question is redundant given football players are human and humans make some stupid choices.

They could have got the season stopped if they turned up to training. Absolutely unforgivable.

I hate the shite going on the now as much as anyone and agree folk are frankly for the most part being wet wipes about a lot of things relating to Covid but you are absolutely correct. The squad are playing really well right now and deserve all the credit and I imagine they themselves will be absolutely furious at Jones and Ed, and they should be.

Football is only on because the athletes themselves have to adhere to very specific and strict regulations. Risking everything doing this whilst being paid handsomely to just do as you’re told.

That’s fair enough but how many of us break the rules and then go to work?
I don’t know. I’ve certainly broken them.

However if I was playing for Rangers and Steven Gerrard, on the fringes if the 1st team, with the ambition of forcing my way into the side, being paid handsomely for it, I certainly wouldnt be willingly breaking any club guidelines, potentially putting my team mates at risk the day before they fly out to Benfica.

Slightly different scenarios.

The purposes are, firstly, it sets a direct, firm example to everyone else in the squad.

Secondly, it saves the club money.

Thirdly, other players are not going to become emboldened if they see these two have got away with breaking rules.

Finally, getting rid of them shows that the club actually respects the fans, many of whom would love to be out enjoying themselves, but are unable to.

The idea of 'what if it was one of our key players?' is hypothetical and pointless.

You don't have to sack people to get that message across in my opinion. Not that they haven't been made well aware of the rules, but that point will be hammered home now.

Saves us money ? I think the manager would rather have his players available, don't you ?

Jones' involvement has set the tone.....

Maybe my examples weren't the best because of how professional those 2 players are, however nobody can say for certain.

I can't see how the question is redundant given football players are human and humans make some stupid choices.
I explained why your question about them being sacked and not others was a poor question. I do not want them sacked. The 2 sit perfectly well together.

You don't have to sack people to get that message across in my opinion. Not that they haven't been made well aware of the rules, but that point will be hammered home now.

Saves us money ? I think the manager would rather have his players available, don't you ?

It depends how much the club value them to be honest. We wouldn't be the first club who used an opportunity created by the player to sack them.

If Kent had done it he wouldn't be getting sacked put it that way

I still canny get my head around it why the pair of idiots did this, yes we know they had they day off today but it wouldn’t have been the first day off this season.

There has been numerous other players breaches and punishment and the negative press brought around it all and these two idiots still can’t process that in their brains as professional footballers at our club.

There is and should be no way back for either, can’t sack them but should be kept away from the first team and sold or at least loaned out in January ASAP.

Yes agree LLNS.

Im fizzing, but as a few of the guys have said, why sack them and as I calm down I understand that.

Keep them totally away from the group & at least recover wages / fees for them as soon as the January window makes them available.

I personally don’t want them to play again for us.

How can they not be aware of the magnitude of 55 for our directors, our players & management team, and especially us fans ?

Oh ffs. Detective Declans going into overdrive now - pictures doing the rounds now of Arfield's birthday party set up (he did turn 32 yesterday)

And also an instagram photo of Morelos with Jones - conveniently no date on it tho, maybe @The Underfaker can help out with this one?
Think this was inevitable. Jones in particular will be having his entire personal life trawled through just now to find a previous breach. Footballers and smartphones are a terrible combination

Football players aren't renowned for their intelligence. They have made a mistake. Let's not completely throw them under the bus.

However if I was playing for Rangers and Steven Gerrard, on the fringes if the 1st team, with the ambition of forcing my way into the side, being paid handsomely for it, I certainly wouldnt be willingly breaking any club guidelines, potentially putting my team mates at risk the day before they fly out to Benfica.

Wrong. Breaking the rules endangers lives irrespective of your occupation.

Yes agree LLNS.

Im fizzing, but as a few of the guys have said, why sack them and as I calm down I understand that.

Keep them totally away from the group & at least recover wages / fees for them as soon as the January window makes them available.

How can they not be aware of the magnitude of 55 for our directors, our players & management team, and especially us fans ?

I’ve calmed down a bit and don’t want them sacked either as it would set a precedent for any other player wanting to break the rules and find another club as easy as that or hypothetical if it was X Y or Z who are big players done it would we be wanting them sacked? My mate asked me the question earlier and I said yes I would still that’s how much it means to us this season and how well we have started - maybe a knee jerk reaction when first hearing it.

Let’s just hope this blows over as soon as it possibly can and both of them never be seen playing for Rangers ever again, unforgivable IMO.

Be prepared for at least a week of negative press regarding it though. Let’s just hope the rest of the squad take note and block out the negativity.

It depends how much the club value them to be honest. We wouldn't be the first club who used an opportunity created by the player to sack them.

If Kent had done it he wouldn't be getting sacked put it that way
That's true but I think the club would rather they were available for selection. If sacking is the answer then out of principle it would apply to all of our players wouldn't it ?

I’ve calmed down a bit and don’t want them sacked either as it would set a precedent for any other player wanting to break the rules and find another club as easy as that or hypothetical if it was X Y or Z who are big players done it would we be wanting them sacked? My mate asked me the question earlier and I said yes I would still that’s how much it means to us this season and how well we have started - maybe a knee jerk reaction when first hearing it.

Let’s just hope this blows over as soon as it possibly can and both of them never be seen playing for Rangers ever again, unforgivable IMO.

Be prepared for at least a week of negative press regarding it though. Let’s just hope the rest of the squad take note and block out the negativity.

Absolutely agree.

Taking them out from the group with a view to selling at least can be stood behind with our better players.

If a Kent or Aribo did that, we would still be raging, but at least selling them if it did happen would enable the club to recover & probably make on the investment we had made on them.

I think we all need to calm down a bit.

These guys have fucked up and whether by luck or design they have been stopped from coming into contact with other players. They hopefully haven't caught covid. Next week we are going to have players flying out all over the world. That causes me more concern than these 2.

The club will deal with this as they see fit and there will be no punishment from the spl.

Its probably a timely reminder to other players.

This is not one of those times where we cut some slack for silly young guys. This was a knowing two fingers to their club, their team mates, their fans and the general public. No excuses, get rid. They can't be trusted.

They need shown the door as they couldn’t give a damn about us, the club and the title. They are a pair of wasters.

It was a really stupid thing to do but I’d give George Ed the benefit of the doubt in this case as everyone deserves to make a mistake and get a second chance.

Jones has already messed up and Gerrard warned him after the OF game in 2019 that he’d have to work hard to get anywhere near the team so imo, he’s had his chance.

However, it would be interesting to see how forgiving posters on here would be if it had been Barisic, Kent and Goldson who had broken the rules.

I might be wrong but I think more would be keen to give them a second chance.

possibly but these guys should be bending over backwards to get in the team and push on their careers. If they do that now what will it be like if they make the grade. Best shot of.

I wouldn't expect them to be that stupid either and only used them as examples as they are arguably our most influential players at the moment.

I would worry it leaves us in a difficult situation should an important first team player breaks rules.

client side javascript strikes again (unless you meant to reply to us both in the same comment?)

Maybe I didn't quite get the setup you were proposing? I think hypothetically if it were Barisic and Tav then no, people wouldn't be calling for them to be 'punted'. Though it's a weak hypothetical I think you have successfully brought up the point and I think you do have a good one.

And if your main point is that it's worrying to think about first team players breaking the rules then I share that worry. It only takes one player to have one bad game and make a few bad choices and suddenly the situation can escalate.

Timmy frothing at the mouth over this, they think because Aberdeen and them scummy fukks got games postponed then so should we, totally missing the point that we have nipped this in the bud in under 12 hrs and neither came into contact with the first team bubble.
I detest these kunts with every fibre if my being.

I'd normally have a laugh at that comment mate but, honestly, I'm so f*cked-off at the pair of them I couldn't even raise a smile.

There's no excuses for either of them here.

On a lighter note, it will be interesting to see the reaction of some of The Lounge stalwarts who regularly preach that the rules are nonsense and best ignored. There will be an avalanche of hypocrisy on display I suspect.
Isn’t that always the way with the lounge though? I mean in the lounge it’s fine to cosy up to the IRA so long as you’re far right loonball who gets it up the left.

I hope Gerrard goes through the pair of them. I suspect Edmundson will get a chance to redeem himself eventually but I hope to hell he tells Jones that he won’t play another minute for Rangers. He’s just this teams version of Windass, a brainless man child whose far more hassle than he’s worth.

They get to play football all day and that's not enough for them. I'd give your left nut to be a professional football player.

Football players aren't renowned for their intelligence. They have made a mistake. Let's not completely throw them under the bus.
I don't think its a matter of intelligence. Its just a clear lack of respect. They know the rules, they get paid a lot of money and represent one of the biggest clubs in the world with the highest standards.

Surely the two week fine and final warning is the correct course of action here?
Sack them? Would folk be saying the same if it was Kent and Morelos????

Jones and Edmondson have acted like a pair of twats, but you cannot treat them differently from what you would for others.
Yes you can for obvious reasons.

Timmy frothing at the mouth over this, they think because Aberdeen and them scummy fukks got games postponed then so should we, totally missing the point that we have nipped this in the bud in under 12 hrs and neither came into contact with the first team bubble.
I detest these kunts with every fibre if my being.
I pity them. Imagine having to go through life being them?

*shudders*

I think we all need to calm down a bit.

These guys have fucked up and whether by luck or design they have been stopped from coming into contact with other players. They hopefully haven't caught covid. Next week we are going to have players flying out all over the world. That causes me more concern than these 2.

The club will deal with this as they see fit and there will be no punishment from the spl.

Its probably a timely reminder to other players.

Not really. The players jetting off all over the world will do so within the rules set by government and their respective clubs. These two clowns had no respect for either and thus they deserve no respect from anyone else. Aside from risking our season and the safety of others, the other bit that really fùcks me off is the fact they’ve just given us a load of bad press mere hours after a results that should have had us all riding a wave of positivity.

In light of all that, fùck the pair of them; I mean there might be a way back for Edmundson but Jones has made it abundantly clear he can’t be trusted and doesn’t deserve to be here. I’d imagine proper professionals like our captain will be disgusted with the pair of them too to be honest.

Complete idiots, both of them. I only hope this was caught before they came into contact with the rest of the squad.

I’m so angry at this, coming at a time when we are on a roll, I’m sorely tempted to put both players on the transfer list

Why are you getting so angry and confrontational?

I am fussed, I am angry, I do agree both players should be punished. I'm just pointing out that neither will be sacked. Pointing that out doesn't equate to me condoning their actions, despite the fact you seem to think it does.

Chill out man, the club is dealing with it."

" Chill out man"?

I'm also not being confrontational just bewildered by your easy-breezy attitude to this. They better hope they don't actually have COVID and have infected anyone else as they must have gone to get petrol, food etc and came into contact with other people!

COVID idiots such as this pair of selfish brats are why we are still living under such tight restrictions in this country. They have also shown a total disregard to the club and their teammates and manager and the actual COVID rules we have in place to protect every citizen of this country.

I don't think its a matter of intelligence. Its just a clear lack of respect. They know the rules, they get paid a lot of money and represent one of the biggest clubs in the world with the highest standards.
I understand that. I'm simply saying that in my opinion they have made an error of judgement and deserve to be punished. They have brought shame on the club.

This is not one of those times where we cut some slack for silly young guys. This was a knowing two fingers to their club, their team mates, their fans and the general public. No excuses, get rid. They can't be trusted.

I'm not saying cut them slack I'm saying the club will deal with it and however they see fit I'll support it

Yes agree LLNS.

Even before his injury Gerrard said some stuff about Jones when asked about his for form etc that suggested his attitude and application weren’t what he was looking for. He won’t kick a ball for Gerrard again imo

God knows how many times the players in our squad would have been told not to do anything stupid during this pandemic yet these 2 go and do that last night/this morning.

I don't think they'll be sacked as they are worth money but I don't think we'll see either in a Rangers shirt again.

Back