Rangers Statement on Edmondson and Jones breaking Covid regulations

Never took to Jones at all and now with his latest f uck up I think it's time to move him on. Unfortunately, Big George will have to go also, it may be his first mistake but, what a mistake he's made, endangering the whole squad and bringing bad publicity to our club.

It just means 2 players move up the pecking order in the squad.
Jones is a diddy and george aint ever going to be as good as the 3 centre halves we have. So pump as soon as possible.

Yes of course I am aware of the pandemic. And I am not in any sort of COVID denial. I have elderly parents who have shielded and barely stepped out of the door for 6 months. I have kids whose exams have been affected. My job is affected. And so on. So I am not in any way blasé about COVID.

And I am bloody angry with Jones and Edmundson and more than aware of the effect their actions could have had on our season. This season of all seasons, especially given the position we are in.

But I am not massively comfortable with the idea that two young(ish) footballers get sacked and have their careers significantly damaged by their, admittedly incredibly stupid, actions. It seems to be the same in all walks of life nowadays - people howling for others to be sacked etc for any indiscretion. That just makes me a bit uncomfortable. Punishment and a bit of compassion and forgiveness just feels better to me than all out vengeance. That is all.

Mate, deep down, you know they have been utterly taking the piss.

After all that has happened with dense footballers elsewhere, too.

Easier said than done IMO.

Jones is on 10 grand a week, after doing the square root of 0 for the best part of 18 months do you think another club is going to come in and match that?

If it's on the table to now to dismiss him and not have to pay him another penny then I can't think of a more sensible option than that.
I understand the thought process but by using this to dismiss you are setting a prescedent for how we should deal with all cases of covid breach.

I would rather we dealt with it as I said as it shows a structured approach and can be used no matter what player it was.

would you want the same approach if it was one of our high valued players??

I think we need to be smart with this

Yes of course I am aware of the pandemic. And I am not in any sort of COVID denial. I have elderly parents who have shielded and barely stepped out of the door for 6 months. I have kids whose exams have been affected. My job is affected. And so on. So I am not in any way blasé about COVID.

And I am bloody angry with Jones and Edmundson and more than aware of the effect their actions could have had on our season. This season of all seasons, especially given the position we are in.

But I am not massively comfortable with the idea that two young(ish) footballers get sacked and have their careers significantly damaged by their, admittedly incredibly stupid, actions. It seems to be the same in all walks of life nowadays - people howling for others to be sacked etc for any indiscretion. That just makes me a bit uncomfortable. Punishment and a bit of compassion and forgiveness just feels better to me than all out vengeance. That is all.
It was a really stupid thing to do but I’d give George Ed the benefit of the doubt in this case as everyone deserves to make a mistake and get a second chance.

Jones has already messed up and Gerrard warned him after the OF game in 2019 that he’d have to work hard to get anywhere near the team so imo, he’s had his chance.

However, it would be interesting to see how forgiving posters on here would be if it had been Barisic, Kent and Goldson who had broken the rules.

I might be wrong but I think more would be keen to give them a second chance.

Oh well done you. Open up a can of worms and have everyone checking players out 24/7. Dont you get it, they would have been news next day.

This story alone tells you that.
Aye I'm sure they need someone on here to give them that idea.

But in light of your comments I'll have to apologise for my part in the upcoming scandal and costing the club 55.

Last edited:
Never took to Jones at all and now with his latest f uck up I think it's time to move him on. Unfortunately, Big George will have to go also, it may be his first mistake but, what a mistake he's made, endangering the whole squad and bringing bad publicity to our club.

Agree.

The club can’t be seen to be hypocritical. He’s put us in that position by his own decisions.

Well said mate. The calls to sack them are over the top in my opinion. Our enemies would be delighted with that outcome.

Easier said than done IMO.

Jones is on 10 grand a week, after doing the square root of 0 for the best part of 18 months do you think another club is going to come in and match that?

If it's on the table to now to dismiss him and not have to pay him another penny then I can't think of a more sensible option than that.
This is surely gross misconduct, a sacking offence.

I know what you’re saying mate, but let’s say they were at training this morning and they had contracted Covid. What would your view be then if the rest of the squad were affected?
They knew exactly what they were doing and showed complete disregard for the current law and the club. For that reason I believe they should not pull the jersey on again.
I've explained this. I have not one bit of sympathy for them, whatever the club do with them will be good enough for me.

My point is, there's posts all over here about point deductions and all sorts of punishments, mainly on speculation of what might have happened.

The club have dealt with this promptly and we have the facts. If both their careers are over at Ibrox, I won't shed a tear for them. No cover up at our club, named and in the process of being dealt with.

I would hate to be young these days, never mind cctv, we have mobile humans doing a better job. That to me is what makes their behaviour even more bizarre. What in the world makes them think they'd get away with this.

Having a party ffs. We live in a world of curtain twitchers who are more danger to our civil liberties than any govts. I have sympathy for young people in this mess we've found ourselves in,but these 2 have a huge responsibility and there can be no excuses.

They could have got the season stopped if they turned up to training. Absolutely unforgivable.

A lot of folk on here seem to think that Edmunson should be given another chance, not for me, get rid of them both.

Had they not been caught and we had training today you can bet the both of them would've been straight in with the rest of the team.

You wonder whether this was the first time too.

After everything that went on with Celtic and Aberdeen the club would've made it crystal clear what was expected of our players.

They've just put two fingers up to the club, management and supporters and have now disrupted what has been a good start to the season.

Clowns.

Well said mate. The calls to sack them are over the top in my opinion. Our enemies would be delighted with that outcome.
I wouldn’t sack them because they’re our assets, we own them.

Unfortunately they are now depreciating assets but I would cut our losses & punt both.

We can make profit on Edmundson as he’s improved & got European experience now. Jones is a waster & should be punted for whoever will take him.

We do what is best for Rangers, irrespective of what anyone else thinks.

Jones and Edmondson have potentially endangered so many people at the club and elsewhere.

It is well past time to stop making excuses for morons and irresponsible, self-entitled footballers.

They are a pair of bloody idiots and deserve the punishment they will receive, well done the club in acting the way they did.

Feel a bit sorry for big George but play silly games and you win silly prizes, Jones is just a waste of space.

The names you never see are all over this thread, funny that eh...
Exactly mate. Dont remember a lot of them being on the night of the liege game. Surely as a Rangers fan you would have been all over that.

What if it was Tav and Barasic, would everyone still be quick to say sack them?

They've been incredibly stupid but a max fine and left out the squad for a bit should be the punishment in my opinion.
I get where you're coming from but imo Tav and Barisic aren't that stupid. They've proven time and again that the boss can trust them. That's why they're starting every week.

The question should be, if Jones and George were regular starters would they have made the decisions they made last night?

I'm not denying that but how does it benefit us to sack them ? It sets a precedent we'd have to stick with.
A strong enough precedent to make sure no other player does it. If any of our players are willing to jeopardise our season for a daft wee house party then they can %^*& right off.

They've been incredibly stupid but a max fine and left out the squad for a bit should be the punishment in my opinion.
Tav and Barisic would still get nailed by the club and Gerrard BUT both are important players and contributors.That gives them a bit more wriggle room imo.

Jones & Edmunson between them have contributed no much more than the square root of f**k all.

That might be slightly harsh on Edmunson but he’s our 5th choice centre-back.Theres no way someone in that position should be jeopardising this season for us.

As for Jones,he’s trouble,a clown and generally a bit of a waster.

Enjoy Hartlepool & Fleetwood lads.

We do what is best for Rangers, irrespective of what anyone else thinks.

Jones and Edmondson have potentially endangered so many people at the club and elsewhere.

It is well past time to stop making excuses for morons and irresponsible, self-entitled footballers.
I'm not making excuses for them at all. They've f**ked up, big time. What I'm saying is that it doesn't actually serve any purpose sacking them. In what way would that benefit Rangers this season ? If Jones wasn't involved I doubt the calls to sack them would be so loud.

Well, I think we can make several inferences between professionalism and performance on the park? The better players work hard at it and as such, are far less likely to pull stupid shit like this? Rendering your hypothetical question redundant.

Pair of absolute idiots and the worst of it is for me that if they had not been caught, they could have caused our entire squad to have to isolate, therefore points and potentially a vital title.

I do not see how this can be mitigated. Both need to be suspended, forced to train alone until the window and then punted for whatever we can get.

Whilst it wasn’t the smartest thing to do they are only human like the rest of us
They might be human but they are footballers, operating in a bubble to allow a club to continue its operations.

They decided to put that at risk. They stuck two fingers up to the fans, their team mates and probably most concerning for them, their manager, who I doubt suffers fools gladly.

They might be human but they are footballers, operating in a bubble to allow a club to continue its operations.

They decided to put that at risk. They stuck two fingers up to the fans, their team mates and probably most concerning for them, their manager, who I doubt suffers fools gladly.
That’s fair enough but how many of us break the rules and then go to work?

I'm not making excuses for them at all. They've f**ked up, big time. What I'm saying is that it doesn't actually serve any purpose sacking them. In what way would that benefit Rangers this season ? If Jones wasn't involved I doubt the calls to sack them would be so loud.

The purposes are, firstly, it sets a direct, firm example to everyone else in the squad.

Secondly, it saves the club money.

Thirdly, other players are not going to become emboldened if they see these two have got away with breaking rules.

Finally, getting rid of them shows that the club actually respects the fans, many of whom would love to be out enjoying themselves, but are unable to.

The idea of 'what if it was one of our key players?' is hypothetical and pointless.

Yes. Id sack any player that done this. I couldn't give a %^*& who they were.

Anyone that takes the piss like that deserve the door.

Yep, absolutely no sympathy CoG.

This means too much to too many.

I still canny get my head around it why the pair of idiots did this, yes we know they had they day off today but it wouldn’t have been the first day off this season.

There has been numerous other players breaches and punishment and the negative press brought around it all and these two idiots still can’t process that in their brains as professional footballers at our club.

There is and should be no way back for either, can’t sack them but should be kept away from the first team and sold or at least loaned out in January ASAP.

I think we all need to calm down a bit.

These guys have fucked up and whether by luck or design they have been stopped from coming into contact with other players. They hopefully haven't caught covid. Next week we are going to have players flying out all over the world. That causes me more concern than these 2.

The club will deal with this as they see fit and there will be no punishment from the spl.

Its probably a timely reminder to other players.

Back