Rangers TV - an honest assessment

I have difficulty finding videos, I don't understand why some (the pre matches media interview with Gerard +1player as an example) goes onto YouTube but not the rangers tv site??

?? The pre-match videos are all available on RangersTV a few hours before match coverage starts mate,

For ANY video, simply Login to RangersTV and go to the Show Me Videos About bit with the Search box. Leave the Search box EMPTY and click on Search. This brings up the videos in date order, most recent first. It really is very simple and straightforward once you know what to do.

With RTV and Tom, it all depends on the co-host as Tom has to lead and feed them.

Stevie Smith is by far the best co-commentator. I feel as if I learn something about watching football every time he's on RTV.

The feed is OK unless it's a big game it seems to struggle with lots of subscribers.

I occasionally get Rangers TV for a month if there are games coming up which my local Rangers bar aren’t showing.

Most recently I paid £5 for a months sub. For that, I’ve seen the Oxford game live and full delayed coverage of the Marseille and St Joe’s home ties, it’s pretty easy for me to avoid the scores simply by turning my phone off.

Value wise, it’s exceptional.

Picture quality is excellent, haven’t experienced any buffering whatsoever.

Tom’s the only issue for me. The “he’s not Crocker or Walker” comments are irrelevant. He’s not commentating on radio or the internet so does not need to be waffling on endlessly. I’m sure it would be pretty easy to recruit a new commentator, brief is pretty simply, identify who has the ball, add a bit of background info re injuries etc. Maybe a semi-permanent co-comms would help build a rapport?

What very slightly annoyed me about the commentary the other night was that Tom didn't seem to let Peter finish a sentence. Was always talking over him. Oh and the way Peter says "definitely". But he's Danish so I'll forgive him for that.:))

Last edited:
I've had issues with one game over the last 2 years.

Had hiccups when there was a change to the media player where you couldnt change the bandwidth to 1080, auto fcks it for some reason.

As for Tom, I like him but he does annoy me at times, though I put that down to hearing him twice a week. I'd rather have him than any other commentator.

We also have some great co-comms, Lovenkrands, Kevin T, Iain Ferguson Durrant!

Ultimately it’s all down to cost. We need more £17 subscribers. Apart from anything else it should be a potential massive income source.

100000 subscribers on the £17 package should be the target which would probably net the club around £15 million per season after production costs.

It's a game of twenty halves

Totally agree, we also need to be in control of our own cameras.

I’m sick of contentious decisions against us not being shown again on the replays as we are obviously getting our transmission from BT or somewhere like that.

Also focuses on the Bheast support during derbies whereas we get little to no showing:

Do millennials even know what an Exocet is? That's early 1980's patter!

I'm 46 and I'm still not entirely sure what a "buzz bomb" is exactly.

I just assume it's like a bouncing bomb a la The Dambusters.

Surely if the issue was with the live feed at Rangers end then we would all be affected? It’s most probably something in your own setup. Here’s an example, I have 80Mb broadband at home on a fairly new Windows 10 desktop. RangersTV works like a dream. I visited my son on Thursday and he had 30Mb broadband. We watched the game on a slightly older Windows 10 laptop and encountered buffering until I adjusted the quality as per my post above. It’s worth a little experimenting with settings.

I get that mate but I’ve got virgins fibre optic and live in central Cambridge getting 120Mb with a brand new tv

I’ve never turned the quality down before though so I will try that next time although I’ll be back on my phone when the season starts so it won’t be an issue as it’s fine on there and shite on the TV

?? The pre-match videos are all available on RangersTV a few hours before match coverage starts mate,

For ANY video, simply Login to RangersTV and go to the Show Me Videos About bit with the Search box. Leave the Search box EMPTY and click on Search. This brings up the videos in date order, most recent first. It really is very simple and straightforward once you know what to do.
Show me on Rangers TV where this video is-
or any after match interviews with manager or players?
The Rangers TV section should be a 1 stop section for all this content

......Tom’s the only issue for me. The “he’s not Crocker or Walker” comments are irrelevant. He’s not commentating on radio or the internet so does not need to be waffling on endlessly. I’m sure it would be pretty easy to recruit a new commentator, brief is pretty simply, identify who has the ball, add a bit of background info re injuries etc. Maybe a semi-permanent co-comms would help build a rapport?

Really?

Tom has reined it in a bit from the days he just sat and gave shout outs to guys in pubs in Tenerife rather than comment on the game but he's still a terrible commentator that just waffles shite without any real insight.

Also his wee friendship with the Moët Loyal really made me lose any respect I had for the guy. Plenty of folk were telling him on Twitter what they were all about but he continued massaging his ego and enjoying their new found obsession with him.

100,000 x £17/month x 12 = ?

I don't mind Tom. He's clearly a fan & I think it's brilliant we can watch with our own commentating. I do wish they'd do a bit of vetting for our ex-players before having them on though. Like's been said, there's the odd one who hasn't a clue about Rangers outside of when they were playing & is just there to pick up a few beer tokens. It would even be preferable having other knowledgeable fans on that those types.

A studio is a great shout. It surely couldn't be that difficult to bang out & I don't know the ins & outs of streaming this kind of content but some matches you've barely had time to go for a piss & the after match review is over & the stream's cut. 15 minutes build-up is also a joke (albeit it's mostly half an hr).
Oh Jesus, never factored x 10 months.

It's progressing.

They need a dedicated app which is available on all devices for both mobile and TV.

The streams dipping and raising in quality all over a 90 minute game isn't acceptable in 2019.
The reports of poor quality on the match threads are numerous. It could be a real money spinner if handled well and content has obviously improved, but this has always put me off.

I get that mate but I’ve got virgins fibre optic and live in central Cambridge getting 120Mb with a brand new tv

I’ve never turned the quality down before though so I will try that next time although I’ll be back on my phone when the season starts so it won’t be an issue as it’s fine on there and shite on the TV

You watching it via the Smart tv or with a laptop hooked up. If it’s tv then it’s the tv software - the browsers are notoriously shit.

I would prefer to watch all our games on RTV, Tom is not a good commentator but at least he is in our favour. I can't listen to Craigan, Sutton, Commons, Walker trying to kid on they are neutral when infact all they do is make snide digs against Rangers and constantly will for the other team to score.

Yeah Tom is cliched as %^*& and doesn't know when to just soak the game up for a minute and stay silent but at least he is not trying be controversial so he can get more time on the TV or some headlines in the paper

Show me on Rangers TV where this video is-
or any after match interviews with manager or players?
The Rangers TV section should be a 1 stop section for all this content

I misunderstood and thought you meant the 1 on 1 with Gerrard and one of the players pre-match mate. As for the Press Conferences I’d guess just looking at a wider audience. Could easily put them on RangersTV but we have @Recoba to keep us up to speed here.:)

I do get Tom's feedback but he at least comes accross as a big bear. Durrant literally made my ears bleed last week. Had to mute him in the end. Repetitive now's are abysmal.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of Alice's tits - that would be my main gripe. Bang out for people to be slating her on this thread as I think she's doing a fantastic job.

Also not a fan of the commentators one bit. Guys like Andy Little & KT are fine and easy enough to listen to, but 9 times out of 10 I'd rather just be watching it with no commentary at all.

With all due respect Tom Miller and Ian Durrant were absolutely atrocious on it last week.

I’m down south so use RTV regularly.

I’m sat at home with fibre optic broadband that never has any issues at home and yet the quality of the picture rises and falls all match. Folk will say the problem must be at my end but I don’t see how?

Last two matches - St J and Marseille - I didn’t even need to use VPN so watched on brand new TV. Marseille was rubbish pic most of the match but sound fine and Thursday night was great pic most of the game but absolutely no sound. If I put it on phone it was fine but tiny screen I need to hold rather than feet up watching TV

I paid £20 for those game so it’s not an insignificant amount of money.

As to commentary I used to hate listening to Tom but used to it now and rather have any Bear than Sutton, Walker etc. I also hate watching with sound off as I want to hear the crowd.

What’s also frustrating is that any recorded pieces at half time play perfectly which reinforces my view that the live feed is a problem at RTVs end. I know very little about this stuff but I’ve seen it suggested on here before that RTV are not using enough bandwidth?

This could be a great source of revenue for the Club and I live the fact that I give a couple of hundred quid a year direct to Rangers. If they could sort the issues out I’d bin Sky, BT and all the rest and happily pay £3/400 a year for a season ticket but there’s no way I’m watching OF on RTV rather than a professional channel like Sky, despite having listen to Rangers hating cu,nts

I have not had any issues with stream quality for the last two seasons

I would love to have the option to turn up the crowd and have no commentary.

Its 2019..why shouldnt this type of thing be possible?

Thats no disrespect to Tom Miller who I like. But the Rangers TV commentary has always been too loud whereas they keep on turning down the crowd.

I would personally enjoy it more with no commentary at all... i have eyes i can see whats going on

My only complaint on what is a good service.

Doesn't sound silly at all, he commentates as if he's on radio. I don't need to know about every single pass and how it's played - I can see it.

I’m sure Tom started as a commentator for the blind at Ibrox. Genuinely, I read an interview with him where he explained how he got involved.

Cannot understand so many people getting this upset with Miller (well, I can, it’s follow follow and folk need something to moan about). To say he’s unlistenable is hyperbole to the extreme.

He does a consistent job for us at a low cost, there are no financial benefits of replacing him with a better but more expensive commentator, it makes no business sense. No one is tuning away from RTV because of Miller.

Shows how well things are going on the field that folk are now complaining about the RTV commentary, which by and large, is totally inoffensive.
Great points mate, it also feels like he takes more stick that "Crags" at times for example who can easily make your ears bleed and tells me nothing that I didn't already know during the game.
Tom at least educates me a little about the older teams-players before my time.
I think as well that we've been so used to a certain slickness with Sky sports over the years with them having a million cameras and replays that anything else seems too different.

Thats no disrespect to Tom Miller who I like. But the Rangers TV commentary has always been too loud whereas they keep on turning down the crowd.

I would personally enjoy it more with no commentary at all... i have eyes i can see whats going on

I’ve said that many times. It clearly is possible and I think lots of fans would use it. Mute the commentator and keep the crowd noise.

Not sure why it’s not an option on Sky already to be honest

I’ve said that many times. It clearly is possible and I think lots of fans would use it. Mute the commentator and keep the crowd noise.

Not sure why it’s not an option on Sky already to be honest
Back in the 90s, I had a BSB squariel. It was possible to mute the comms and have crowd noise only then and that was nearly 30 years ago

I'd pay extra for this option, I love listening to the crowd especially when we score but it always seems to get drowned out.

It depends who Tom Miller is paired with a lot of the time regarding his commentary when its Tom and Kevin Thomson its really very good

But tbf Hugh "GO ON SON" Burns is also brilliant to listen to for totally different reasons :)

My most hated thing is the fact the commentary is considerably louder than the actual match and fans . I like to a hear a proper roar when we score

I think there will always be a role at RTV for Tom Miller, you only need to listen to the insight he contributes to the Rangers Podcast. However, I would like to see Rangers try and bleed through a new young, modern voice to the RTV matchday experience. Someone who can learn from Tom but add something different such as the play-for-play side of the things and look to set themselves in the mould of someone like Peter Drury, who's storytelling skills as a commentator are second to none.

Quite suprised at the stick Tom Miller takes on here.

He's unashamedly a Rangers fan and has a fair knowledge of the game and what's going on around Ibrox.

He may use more than a few cliches, but %^*& me, I'd rather listen to him all day long over anyone we get get on Sky, BT or terrestrial TV.

He seems a bit of an easy target for some on here.

He's a shocking commentator mate.

Rangers fan no doubt, but for the money folk are paying to watch it abroad you expect someone much better.

There was another guy who done it a few times when Tom was absent and was good. This was a while back.

I’m an expat, so I can live with Tom and the lack of pregame/ht studio etc. I just want a rock solid HD feed every game, and for them to turn up the crowd noise so I can hear the Bears.

Back in the 90s, I had a BSB squariel. It was possible to mute the comms and have crowd noise only then and that was nearly 30 years ago

I’ve given this way more thought over the past few years than I probably should and I can’t get my head round why it’s not an option.

I think the main reason must be the fact that the sponsors names get mentioned a few times per match??

As does the broadcasters name get a good few memtions

That’s the only thing I can think of

They need an rtv app.
Frankly ridiculous that they don’t already have one tbh

One click and your in

Back