Rangers TV dropped monthly sub?

I was paying 5 pounds sterling a month and using it maybe twice a year, weather related. I was also paying 300 dollars a year to watch the games with my club. With the cup games we paid 10 dollars to watch . I now pay 6 pounds monthly, with our club games an unknown at this writing. I have no quarrel with this arrangement. I do however fret over the fact that I have trouble navigating the new system.

Hi
I use PIA (Private Internet Access) and it works fine. I posted a link the other day to a review of VPNs and the impact they have on your download speed. ExpressVPN and NordVPN were the top two with just a 2% and 3% drop off respectively. PIA was third - but with a 22% drop in speed. The VPN that was in 10th place had a speed drop off around 60% :eek: so you can imagine what the free VPNs do to your speed!

NordVPN comes highly recommended but ExpressVPN is probably just slightly better reviewed.

Hi VB and hope you are well, can this survey be viewed anywhere assuming it shows results for a wide range of VPNs?

Pleased if you are able to advise.

Al.

We've two separate issue here as far as I can see. We have guys like you and I on the monthly Legacy at £17.25 whereas guys who signed up to it in February this year onwards are paying £24.

Then there's the fact that the monthly Unlimited no longer seems to be on offer at all (though recent posts suggest it may be making fleeting appearances).

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the old £17.25 Legacy packages abandoned and for us to be told to stump up the 'new' rate of £24 per month. I see the logic in that and, whilst it would hurt, I guess its overdue in reality.

However, I wouldn't welcome a move to take the Legacy £17.25 guys plus all the newer £24 a month guys and tell them the monthly option was off the table and we had to pay a flat £240 for the year.

I think the former - an increase to £24 per month for those paying £17.25 - is far more likely than the latter.

From what I've heard it is purely down to the Club trying to establish a more consistent income from RangersTV because, at present, it fluctuates a lot depending on how well, or more relevantly how poorly, the team may be doing.
I’d say the main reason in dropping the monthly subs is because of the fear of a second wave of Covid. Let’s be honest here, a lot of people aren’t going to keep paying if the season is suspended. By making it annual subscription only, they get the money up front and don’t have to worry about any interruption to the season. I’m sure it’s in the fine print somewhere that no refunds are possible, especially since RTV offers more than live games.

Hi

Hi VB and hope you are well, can this survey be viewed anywhere assuming it shows results for a wide range of VPNs?

Pleased if you are able to advise.

Al.

Took me a while mate but this was the article I read/referred to. ExpressVPN and NordVPN miles out in front but the potential drop in speed from there on in is huge. Even with my own VPN which is PIA and which has worked faultlessly for me for 3 years now.

I’d say the main reason in dropping the monthly subs is because of the fear of a second wave of Covid. Let’s be honest here, a lot of people aren’t going to keep paying if the season is suspended. By making it annual subscription only, they get the money up front and don’t have to worry about any interruptions. I’m sure it’s in the fine print somewhere that no refunds are possible, especially since RTV offers more than live games.

Quite possibly mate. This is a bit of an old thread. Someone took it up in the last few days with RangersTV (because the monthly sub re-appeared for a few hours and someone was able to buy it) and received a response indicating there would be a ‘communication’ from the Club ‘soon’ on subs.

Hmmmm.

Took me a while mate but this was the article I read/referred to. ExpressVPN and NordVPN miles out in front but the potential drop in speed from there on in is huge. Even with my own VPN which is PIA and which has worked faultlessly for me for 3 years now.

Many thanks for that, I took out 12 months on Tunnelbear which has been so so but I need to set up an alternative so your post is very useful indeed.

Quite possibly mate. This is a bit of an old thread. Someone took it up in the last few days with RangersTV (because the monthly sub re-appeared for a few hours and someone was able to buy it) and received a response indicating there would be a ‘communication’ from the Club ‘soon’ on subs.

Hmmmm.
It’s a bad situation all round. I can understand why the club needs to guarantee income, but at the same time a lot of people are finding things tight right now and can’t afford to throw money away.

I can’t really blame the club, after all football’s a business these days, but maybe they should look at a compromise of some kind, like 3 month or half yearly subscriptions as an alternative. Just be honest with us.

Many thanks for that, I took out 12 months on Tunnelbear which has been so so but I need to set up an alternative so your post is very useful indeed.

As with many things, generally you get what you pay for. I’m tied into PIA for another two years - and it’s been great - because I got a good 3 year deal. If I was starting again I’d be looking out for ‘offers’ from ExpressVPN. Usually the longer the period you pay up front the cheaper the equivalent monthly rate is. Probably best to try balance the price you are prepared to pay with how much potential drop off in speed you are prepared to put up with. I‘ve never noticed any big drop off with PIA but that article quotes about 22%.

It’s a bad situation all round. I can understand why the club needs to guarantee income, but at the same time a lot of people are finding things tight right now and can’t afford to throw money away.

I can’t really blame the club, after all football’s a business these days, but maybe they should look at a compromise of some kind, like 3 month or half yearly subscriptions as an alternative. Just be honest with us.

That’s not a bad shout actually. Could even do it on the ‘automatic renewal’ basis, the way home insurance, for example, tends to work these days - just on a 3 or 6 month cycle.

I await this ‘communication’ with interest and, as a Legacy monthly Unlimited (£17.25) subscriber, a bit of trepidation. I’m almost certainly going to end up paying more. Which is fine - within reason. New monthly subscribers from earlier this year are paying £24 and we can’t have two tiers forever.

I've got IP vanish in 10th place which has also served me well over the last 2 years. It's perhaps a cheaper option but super user friendly on all devices especially with a Firestick.
If anybody's on a bit of a budget buying a VPN on top of a RTV subscription then I would say this is a good choice.
On saying that I'm going to have a look at Nord as I'm curious if it will cure the odd minor buffer issue I get from time to time.

I've got IP vanish in 10th place which has also served me well over the last 2 years. It's perhaps a cheaper option but super user friendly on all devices especially with a Firestick.
If anybody's on a bit of a budget buying a VPN on top of a RTV subscription then I would say this is a good choice.
On saying that I'm going to have a look at Nord as I'm curious if it will cure the odd minor buffer issue I get from time to time.

Wee tip on that. Once you have the stream running click on the Settings cog and change it from Auto to 1080p. Always makes a difference for me if there’s a bit of buffering.

That’s not a bad shout actually. Could even do it on the ‘automatic renewal’ basis, the way home insurance, for example, tends to work these days - just on a 3 or 6 month cycle.

I await this ‘communication’ with interest and, as a Legacy monthly Unlimited (£17.25) subscriber, a bit of trepidation. I’m almost certainly going to end up paying more. Which is fine - within reason. New monthly subscribers from earlier this year are paying £24 and we can’t have two tiers forever.
I’ve been a yearly subscriber and I noticed a big jump last year. It was close to 10% but I don’t know if exchange rates came into play. It is up for renewal in September and I was hoping to go monthly with all the uncertainty and because of the the way that the SPFL carved up the title race. In my heart I know I’ll end up paying whatever they ask but with MyGers added in now I’m feeling a bit like a ‘customer’ these days.

I don’t think the legacy will last long mate. As you say, they can’t have a two tier system. I imagine they left it so as not to get any cancellations. However,if it looks like they will have to go any length of time without gate receipts I expect it to change with little notice. I think in the past RTV income was a bonus for the club, but it’s now become a prime source of income.

I’ve been a yearly subscriber and I noticed a big jump last year. It was close to 10% but I don’t know if exchange rates came into play. It is up for renewal in September and I was hoping to go monthly with all the uncertainty and because of the the way that the SPFL carved up the title race. In my heart I know I’ll end up paying whatever they ask but with MyGers added in now I’m feeling a bit like a ‘customer’ these days.

I don’t think the legacy will last long mate. As you say, they can’t have a two tier system. I imagine they left it so as not to get any cancellations. However,if it looks like they will have to go any length of time without gate receipts I expect it to change with little notice. I think in the past RTV income was a bonus for the club, but it’s now become a prime source of income.

First rise in over 5 years so I’m not gonna moan too much - though it’s a big jump.

I presume no further update on the monthly unlimited package. Think I might just buy per game - as will be cheaper for time being how, with the home matches included with ST anyway. How much is it typically for one off SPFL games?

I presume no further update on the monthly unlimited package. Think I might just buy per game - as will be cheaper for time being how, with the home matches included with ST anyway. How much is it typically for one off SPFL games?
No. I reckon the club are maybe waiting to see what comes of their signup rate for annual before the Aberdeen game. If the uptake is low, then they might bring back the monthly sub.

If signup rate for annual is good enough then I don’t think they will.

That’s probably how I would play it from a business perspective

If the VST package is working for you then that might be the way to go until this ‘communication’ from the Club referred to earlier.

Remember, you will need a VPN to screen those away matches though. They are only available to overseas subscribers.

If the VST package is working for you then that might be the way to go until this ‘communication’ from the Club referred to earlier.

Remember, you will need a VPN to screen those away matches though. They are only available to overseas subscribers.

Depending on cost per game, I am thinking it might be best taking Sky Sports on Now TV for 33.99. Get three aways for that next month, if timed right.

Depending on cost per game, I am thinking it might be best taking Sky Sports on Now TV for 33.99. Get three aways for that next month, if timed right.

I suspect they might pitch it at £7.99. Though £9.99 isn’t out of the question if the truth be told and they are trying to push folk towards subscriptions. Guess we will find out on Friday.

Wee bump for this. Any idea if the monthly will come back? Had to cancel mine as the wife got made redundant :-(

Wee bump for this. Any idea if the monthly will come back? Had to cancel mine as the wife got made redundant :-(

No sign whatsoever.:( It looks like a choice of going for the annual overseas Unlimited package at £240 or going down the PPV route at £9.99 per game when you cant get it on Sky.

I have a hunch and it’s just that while games are behind closed doors the monthly unlimited will be unavailable to save the club getting earache from season ticket holders that if you sign up for a new monthly subscription you will be paying less per game than someone who has a season ticket.i have seen some season ticket holders saying the club should charge the cost of a match ticket to non season ticket holders to view the game on rtv.

How prophetic that turned out to be given the moans following the announcement of the £9.99 PPV.:rolleyes:

I can’t see the club putting the monthly package back till crowds are allowed back in,especially after all the complaints about £9 for PPV for non season ticket holders.

Kinda looks that way. And I guess I can understand that. I'm actually quite shocked at the moaning - or maybe its just a few who are 'loud'.:rolleyes::)

Back