Match Thread Rangers v Coventry City, Friendly, Saturday 25 July 2020 - 5.15pm kickoff - live on Premier Sports 1

Now let's get a midfielder and striker in.

First half was crying out for a midfielder to turn the screws, move the ball with authority, spray it long and short, hit the box. Was too predictable and pedestrian at times - a lot like last season.
We’ve known this since last season, but I haven’t seen any indication the manager thinks a midfielder like that is needed. I hope he is right because he could well be risking his job on it.

Had a quick look on there forum
Scottish football is shit
They were best team in 1st half
We were playing there 2nd string and under 23's 2nd half
There 1st team from last season would beat us
Nathan Patterson is a nasty piece of work.
C%=&£c will have no prob winning our league
The commentary team must have been from Rangers FC
So basically all positive stuff :oops:
just typical small team mentality at play, we see it often

Had a quick look on there forum
Scottish football is shit
They were best team in 1st half
We were playing there 2nd string and under 23's 2nd half
There 1st team from last season would beat us
Nathan Patterson is a nasty piece of work.
C%=&£c will have no prob winning our league
The commentary team must have been from Rangers FC
So basically all positive stuff :oops:

Typical of your arrogant fan of a english club.

This particular club ain't even got a fecking stadium to play in.

They can celebrate their 'only got beat 2 nil trophy' at the home of another club.

We really need to replace Morelos with a striker that can be arsed being here.
Alfie's a little off the boil and there's times when there's all kinds of crazy going on in his head, but you have to be joking if you think he's not trying. He's as motivated as any player I've seen at Rangers whether it's about his personal performance or the fact he's almost funding an entire town back in Colombia.
His performance today was constant movement, coming short to link then still try to get in the box. Just a wee bit short of confidence taking an extra touch in the area but we know when he gets one the flood gates will open.

Typical of your arrogant fan of a english club.

This particular club ain't even got a fecking stadium to play in.

They can celebrate their 'only got beat 2 nil trophy' at the home of another club.
To be fair, that's what you should expect from opposition fans.

Have a look through the comments on here, especially in the first half and I doubt it's any worse.

I dont understand going on other fans forums to see what they're saying. Wouldn't expect anything else.

Can some of our more cerebral tactics chaps explain what Kent's role was today? From what I saw he'll be burned out before Christmas, he was all over the park, closing down, winning the ball, collecting the ball on the halfway line, going down the wing, cutting in, shooting; everything.
Asking too much of him to do this over the course of a season.
I think it's called a "free role". It's a very well known tactic that has been utilised over many years. Managers use it for several different reasons especially during pre season games as it allows them to assess a players fitness and suitability for positional and tactical reasons.

Need to take our chances better against these type of teams. In the end a good result but we all know their 2nd half team was fringe players.

Morelos is starting to come deep quite often but he's at his best when he's the furthest forward player.

To be fair, that's what you should expect from opposition fans.

Have a look through the comments on here, especially in the first half and I doubt it's any worse.

I dont understand going on other fans forums to see what they're saying. Wouldn't expect anything else.
Maybe so you don't have to wade through all the Tav/ Goldson/ Jack/ Kamara/ Helander/ Kent/ Morelos is shit posts:) Rangers players get less abuse on Kerryoot Street than on here

I think it's called a "free role". It's a very well known tactic that has been utilised over many years. Managers use it for several different reasons especially during pre season games as it allows them to assess a players fitness and suitability for positional and tactical reasons.
Otherwise known as the we-don't know-his-best-position role? I'd like to see him work on developing a partnership with Borna on the left, I'd like to see that allowed and encouraged. That doesn't mean they have to be playing one-twos down the wing all the time.

That’s because if we repeat that 1st half showing in our domestic games then we’ll do nothing this season
Really? Away and lie down. You need to get another hobby. Writing off the season off the back of a first half friendly against Coventry. In which we actually played ok and were never threatened? You are at it

Aribo looking excellent.

Give it 5 mins against Aberdeen for one of their hammer throwers to 2 foot him and walk away without even a warning

some of our one touch stuff is superb and
i dont mind morelos coming short it leaves opposition defence problems of
who to mark
with hagi looking good, kent never stopping, aribo touches, jack running the midfield
a solid defence goldson, barasic, tav and id play edmundson

with solid subs to come on im very very optimistic

i can almost taste 55

I don't know why I come on here after or during games, I thought we played not to bad, should have scored maybe another 1/2 more, shagger made 2 great saves, teams ARE not just going to roll over and get their tummy tickled, players can't be flying EVERY single game, but I will say we need another 2/3 players

Alfie's a little off the boil and there's times when there's all kinds of crazy going on in his head, but you have to be joking if you think he's not trying. He's as motivated as any player I've seen at Rangers whether it's about his personal performance or the fact he's almost funding an entire town back in Colombia.
His performance today was constant movement, coming short to link then still try to get in the box. Just a wee bit short of confidence taking an extra touch in the area but we know when he gets one the flood gates will open.

I thought he was tremendous yesterday. With more luck he could have had at least one goal.
But his link up play, coming deep to collect the ball, pinging 30 yard passes to both wing backs with either foot, hardly wasting a ball and his one-two with Aribo for the first goal shows that he is now a more complete player and not just a goal scorer.
I thought, for the hour he was on, it was a toss up between him and Hagi for MOM.

Back