Rangers v FK Shkupi (QR1) / FC Petrocub Hîncești or NK Osijek v Rangers or FK Shkupi (QR2)

Progrès Niederkorn (Luxembourg) finished 2nd
Široki Brijeg (Bosnia) finished 4th
Shkupi (Macedonia)finished 4th
Stumbras (Lithuania )currently 5th (2018-19)
Dunajská Streda (Slovakia)finished 3rd

From my post in an earlier thread narrowed it down to the possibilities.

Anyone got more info on the Bosnian team?

Progres Niederkorn - Qualified as 2nd - Capacity 7000 (assuming national stadium) - Closest Airport - Accessible via Luxembourg City airport and France, Belgium, Germany.

Siroki Brijeg - Široki Brijeg, Bosnia - Qualified as 4th in Bosnia - Capacity 5628 - Closest major airport Dubrovnik, Croatia 156km (I think)

Shkupi - Skopje, Macedonia - 4th in Macedonia - Capacity 5000 - Closest major airport Skopje

Stumbras Kaunas - Kaunas, Lithuania - Qualifed as Cup Winners - Capacity 9180 - Nearest major airport is Kaunas

DAC Dunajska Streda - Dunajska Streda, Slovakia - Qualifed as 3rd in Slovak league - Capacity 12700 - Closest major airport Bratislava 50km

Sarajevo is closer to the Bosnian team than Dubrovnik. But both are over 2 and half hours drive away. Would be a tough away trip and absolutely roasting for the players. Similar for the Macedonian team.

I'm sure these groups were decided on the morning of the draw last year. I wonder why they've done it 2 days in advance this time.

Progres is the easiest to get to. Means we are all going to get a ticket. And it would be nice to smash them.

Has to be Progres. Nothing against them really but we need to smash them and help erase bad memories.

Honestly no idea how Stumbras won the cup last season, they finished 2nd bottom and only won 4 games all season. Had to win a playoff game just to stay in the league ffs :D. Seemed to have improved this year having won a whopping 5 games out of 16 so far.

Progres would probably be best option (practical / travel wise /with opposition research / know player level quality up against

The rest are very much of an unknown (we’ll certainly for me...though being bullish that we should have enough quality to get past them anyway rather selfishly the tourist in me would rather Macedonia / Bosnia or Lithuania to tick them off as countries visited

Personally I’d like to test progress vs Progres. Plus the others are all potential banana skins so early in the season.

Siroki Brijeg finished 4th in the Bosnian league, tied on points with 3rd but 6 less in GD, they had the best home record in the league with 12 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss but the 6th best away record with 4 wins, 5 draws and 7 losses. They won their first tie in Europa League qualifiers 2-0 to Ordabasy before Aberdeen put them out in the 2nd round last year 3-1 on aggregate.

Shkupi finished 4th in the Macedonian league, 4th best home record in the league with 10 wins, 4 draws, 4 losses and the 6th best away record at 3 wins, 8 draws and 7 losses. They have never played European football before

Stumbras' season is currently ongoing, right now they're 5th in Lithuania with the worst home record in the league with 1 win, 1 draw and 5 losses. Their away form isn't too bad though with 4 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses. They do have the 3rd least amount of goals conceded though. They did qualify for Europe by winning their cup though so it wasn't on league placement. Like Shkupi they haven't played European football in their history either.

Dunajská Streda's season starts right before this round of European qualifiers so they will be on the tail end of their preseason come game time. Last season though they finished 3rd in Slovakia. Home record of 8 wins, 5 draws and 3 losses and an away record of 8 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses. They haven't played European football in 25 years.

Progres Niederkorn last season improved their final place from 4th to 2nd in Luxembourg losing out on the title by 5 points. They had the 2nd best home record with 9 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses while having the best away record last season with 11 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss. Obviously it goes without saying what happened when we played them last season and it certainly seems like they've improved as a team after that. Also i would find it a bit boring if we just end up playing them again as well as the media narrative it will get and for the fans that will be travelling to the games im sure going somewhere new would be nice as well

If i had a choice of who we could draw it would be Stumbras. Only worry about them is they're currently already in their league season but they're the worst team in their respective league compared to the others we can draw, have a terrible home record and have zero experience of European football. Streda are probably the toughest team of them all we could draw.

Sarajevo is closer to the Bosnian team than Dubrovnik. But both are over 2 and half hours drive away. Would be a tough away trip and absolutely roasting for the players. Similar for the Macedonian team.

Mostar would be closest but I don't think may companies fly there. The travel club might use it though.

Going to be Progres isnt it?
Cupcake_Dog.jpg

From my post in an earlier thread narrowed it down to the possibilities.

Anyone got more info on the Bosnian team?

Progres Niederkorn - Qualified as 2nd - Capacity 7000 (assuming national stadium) - Closest Airport - Accessible via Luxembourg City airport and France, Belgium, Germany.

Siroki Brijeg - Široki Brijeg, Bosnia - Qualified as 4th in Bosnia - Capacity 5628 - Closest major airport Dubrovnik, Croatia 156km (I think)

Shkupi - Skopje, Macedonia - 4th in Macedonia - Capacity 5000 - Closest major airport Skopje

Stumbras Kaunas - Kaunas, Lithuania - Qualifed as Cup Winners - Capacity 9180 - Nearest major airport is Kaunas

DAC Dunajska Streda - Dunajska Streda, Slovakia - Qualifed as 3rd in Slovak league - Capacity 12700 - Closest major airport Bratislava 50km

Siroki Brijeg is 120km from Split..about 2 hour drive. It is 30km from Katic home town! Just sussed out I could drive the trip in less than 3.5 hours from my house. If it is Brijeg then will be passing Split airport on way and on way back, so would have room for a couple of folk.

Siroki Brijeg is 120km from Split..about 2 hour drive. It is 30km from Katic home town! Just sussed out I could drive the trip in less than 3.5 hours from my house. If it is Brijeg then will be passing Split airport on way and on way back, so would have room for a couple of folk.
I hope you have a better navigator than the last time we did the Bosnia trip :D

I hope you have a better navigator than the last time we did the Bosnia trip :D
Eventually found the bobsleigh track ruins in Sarajevo, but was a close run thing with petrol.
And navigator had a cheap phone that could not give directions!

Direct flights Glasgow to Split on Wednesday and back on Sunday is a flight option if we get the Bosnians. Easyjet fly the route

Eventually found the bobsleigh track ruins in Sarajevo, but was a close run thing with petrol.
And navigator had a cheap phone that could not give directions!

Nothing cheap about it. It just wouldn't connect to Bosnian networks and no wifi after 100m from the hotel.

Back