Match Thread Rangers v Olympiacos - Wednesday 19:45 - RangersTV

DocStone

Administrator
Staff member
x5nUSdq.png

>>CLICK HERE FOR HELP WITH RANGERSTV<<

DISCUSSION OF ILLEGAL STREAMS WILL RESULT IN A BAN

Looking forward to heading through to this after being away for the previous two games.

Are the fecking Greeks bringing any support over?

If I buy the tickets online will I need to pick them up before the game? Been ages since I have managed to get along

Does anyone watch Greek Football?

They had won the title consistently then fallen away last season , now managed by a Spaniard who achieved a shock relegation most recently.

They had won the title consistently then fallen away last season , now managed by a Spaniard who achieved a shock relegation most recently.
It's a bit of a basket case of a league with really only Olympiacos winning it. Since 1997 they've won the league in all but 5 seasons; Panathanikos in 2004&2010, AEK in 2018&2023 and PAOK in 2019. I'm pretty sure they are owned by the same crack pot who owns Nottingham Forest so explains alot. They seem to have that Turkey football thing of being able to sign decent players past their prime and a lot of the time something goes wrong. They signed James Rodriguez and Marcelo but both left after less than a year.

Another chance to bed in the new players and hopefully score a few goals. A clean sheet would obviously be a great bonus.

Mon the Gers, just do it.

Last edited:
Starting XI for Killie & Genk or Servette hopefully getting 60-75mins.

Butland
Tav Souttar Balogun Ridvan
Raskin
Cantwell Jack
Sima Dessers Lammers

Would like to see Lawrence, Hagi, Dowell, Sakala get some minutes too if they'll be playing a part in getting us into the CL.

Looks like there are signs that their dominance is slipping slightly. They’d won 13 out of 14 titles but it’s 3 in the last 6 for them now.

Olympiacos are one of the clubs in Europe who are very comparable to us so it will be a great barometer of how we are getting on (with the usual caveats around friendlies).

Lowry starting for the b team today, clearly has now dropped behind Rice now and a few others

Starting XI for Killie & Genk or Servette hopefully getting 60-75mins.

Butland
Tav Souttar Balogun Ridvan
Raskin
Cantwell Jack
Sima Dessers Lammers

Would like to see Lawrence, Hagi, Dowell, Sakala get some minutes too if they'll be playing a part in getting us into the CL.
I think at least three of those will not be starting at Killie - Balogun (because of the pitch), Jack (because we've better options) and Sima (because Danilo will play).

Lowry starting for the b team today, clearly has now dropped behind Rice now and a few others
To be fair, Rice plays further back where I would say there is not much competition (beating in mind Jack wasn’t in the squad the other day). There is huge competition further forward. I hope Lowry can break into the first team squad but it won’t be easy.

I think at least three of those will not be starting at Killie - Balogun (because of the pitch), Jack (because we've better options) and Sima (because Danilo will play).
I think Jack gives us more balance in midfield and allows Cantwell to be more creative. I didn't think about the pitch but you may be right on that one. I agree with Sima but he's probably going to be the man with the jersey tonight.

I think Jack gives us more balance in midfield and allows Cantwell to be more creative. I didn't think about the pitch but you may be right on that one. I agree with Sima but he's probably going to be the man with the jersey tonight.
Thinking about it more, it might be that the pitch would be a reason for leaving Jack out as well.:eek:

Crazy situation when a bloody plastic pitch has to be factored into a top flight team selection.

Thinking about it more, it might be that the pitch would be a reason for leaving Jack out as well.:eek:

Crazy situation when a bloody plastic pitch has to be factored into a top flight team selection.

I'll be pretty downhearted if we go into our first game of the season, against Killie, with two defensive midfielders playing.

Raskin is more than enough in that role. The other two midfield slots should be reserved for Cantwell and Dowell (or Cifuentes if he's here and ready).

I'll be pretty downhearted if we go into our first game of the season, against Killie, with two defensive midfielders playing.

Raskin is more than enough in that role. The other two midfield slots should be reserved for Cantwell and Dowell (or Cifuentes if he's here and ready).
Dowell, who has surprised me so far I have to say, is the one I was thinking of. However, Lundstram - and I know it will upset a few - playing the more advanced role he did towards the end of last season, would be another option for me. Certainly ahead of Jack.

Dowell, who has surprised me so far I have to say, is the one I was thinking of. However, Lundstram - and I know it will upset a few - playing the more advanced role he did towards the end of last season, would be another option for me. Certainly ahead of Jack.

I agree that Lundstram will likely play more often than Jack this season. However, if signings like Dowell, Cifuentes and a fit again Lawrence can't get into our team ahead of Lundstram on a regular basis, certainly in the league, then it will be more than disappointing.

Rightly so. Hasn't lived up to his potential. Been poor when given a chance so it's only fair others get their chance to make their mark. Looking forward to this one. Done all the pre season games so far and this one will be a great test, especially after the double training sessions this week in the run up to it. Not expecting a classic, but a good test in front of around 20k tonight.

I agree that Lundstram will likely play more often than Jack this season. However, if signings like Dowell, Cifuentes and a fit again Lawrence can't get into our team ahead of Lundstram on a regular basis, certainly in the league, then it will be more than disappointing.
I think its a long way back for Lawrence, similar to Hagi in the second half of last season. Suspect we will only see him fleetingly until after the Winter break. Which is a shame because I rate him highly, but there's no point in taking unnecessary risk when we have other options.

Cifuentes I've only seen on his Farewell to LA Tour, and I'm hoping he's better than he's looked.

I think its a long way back for Lawrence, similar to Hagi in the second half of last season. Suspect we will only see him fleetingly until after the Winter break. Which is a shame because I rate him highly, but there's no point in taking unnecessary risk when we have other options.

Cifuentes I've only seen on his Farewell to LA Tour, and I'm hoping he's better than he's looked.

You're probably right (and fair) on Lawrence - but that still leaves both Dowell and Cifuentes to be upgraded additions to our midfield.

As earlier, if we're still seeing Lundstram starting games regularly come September/October time, it will be more of an indication that Dowell and Cifuentes are not cutting the mustard, than it will be of Lundstram's abilities.

Obviously there’s still some first team players to come back or be added to the first eleven but I wonder if we’ll get an idea of what our main formation/style is going to be tonight - or will it be more about minutes in legs again?

Back