Archive Rangers Women Season 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good result.

I saw Newcastle women win 12-0 a few weeks back, am I likely to see a goal fest next Sunday v Hibs or are they a step up?
Hibs are a step up and are a hard-working side.

They've just taken the lead just on HT vs Glasgow City - though it was very much against the run of play.

We SHOULD win but the Spoon Burnerettes will be very up for it.

Well done ladies, from a purist POV, it would be nice to see more investment in the women’s game up here and hopefully having us, them and GC all of a fairly good standard will improve the general level of the leagues.

Having the pleasure to know a few players across the two divisions, they all absolutely love it and work incredibly hard. I was actually pretty surprised to hear how much work goes in at clubs that aren’t full time, with regards to training and analysis etc.

Looking forward to the final next week.

Last edited:
Just watching the womens ncaa on bt. Pretty decent standard - everyone looks fit, no fat people, meaty challenges, passing accuracy, tactics, intensity and big crowd who are well into it. I’d imagine most of these girls could play in England fairly comfortably - they’d put a cricket score on the Scotland national team

Just looking at the league table and it's pretty embarrassing at 1/3 of the way though to have a team on 0 points and -64 goal difference. I presume they have another 6 games against the top 3 so not unrealistic to think they will finish -150 goal difference.

I take it Glasgow Women were promoted from 2nd tier through winning the league last year?

Cant be enjoyable for them at all

Just looking at the league table and it's pretty embarrassing at 1/3 of the way though to have a team on 0 points and -64 goal difference. I presume they have another 6 games against the top 3 so not unrealistic to think they will finish -150 goal difference.

I take it Glasgow Women were promoted from 2nd tier through winning the league last year?

Cant be enjoyable for them at all

They finished 2nd, were promoted because the SPFL move meant a 12 team league. They also lost 8 of their main players to ‘bigger’ teams in SWPL1 which was not ideal, and also their head coach moved to a FT job at Queens Park, they’ve got a lot of very young players in their squad now. I said at the start of the season they’d finish on 0 points and I don’t think I’ll be wrong.

The gulf in class between the top 3 and the rest is huge, and even then the likes of Hibs, Hearts and to an extent Partick (Megan Cunningham being a big part for them) are so far ahead of others. Hamilton Accies are lucky GW are so bad otherwise they’d be down there, an awful team.

They finished 2nd, were promoted because the SPFL move meant a 12 team league. They also lost 8 of their main players to ‘bigger’ teams in SWPL1 which was not ideal, and also their head coach moved to a FT job at Queens Park, they’ve got a lot of very young players in their squad now. I said at the start of the season they’d finish on 0 points and I don’t think I’ll be wrong.

The gulf in class between the top 3 and the rest is huge, and even then the likes of Hibs, Hearts and to an extent Partick (Megan Cunningham being a big part for them) are so far ahead of others. Hamilton Accies are lucky GW are so bad otherwise they’d be down there, an awful team.
FWIW Accies have the second smallest budget in the League and are the club that is least likely in the top flight to have the men be able to financially support them.

The SWPL is a bit of a farce if we’re being completely honest aside from the full time teams
Yes and through no fault of the non full time sides.
There are now 5 Full Time - Rangers, Celtic, City, Hearts and Hibs, where 4 of those are the biggest 4 sides in the country in real terms.

Rangers are investing around £1million a year, Celtic and City circa £750,000, Hearts and Hibs must be touching £500,000. How is anyone else in the division meant to compete with that?
A one off game is one thing but sustaining Full Time pros v effectively amateur players over 32 games was always going to go this way,

Of the rest, Spartans, Partick Thistle, Aberdeen, Motherwell have full time staff members with decent expenses (to my understanding) being paid and in some cases, semi pro contracts (effectively a part time player).

Dundee Utd, Accies and Glasgow have essentially amateur players and staff with minimal expenses, if any, being paid. How are they meant to compete against those odds? With the cost of running the team probably around £40-£50000 a year on pitches, hiring of facility, gyms, paying a physio, how on earth are they meant to get through that glass ceiling?

So far the SPFL have been unable to get a sponsor for the League, which ultimately hurts the smallest teams being able to put players on contracts, even part time members of staff to actually run clubs and improve them. The SFA ate still sitting on £500,000 which hast been given out following the last WC the Womens NT qualified for.

The narrative has far wider problems, opportunities and implications but it needs some radical thinking or it will continue to get worse. Player base is much, much smaller and the game has a huge drop out rate because players want some renumeration for playing which clubs can't afford. We need those players playing - simply put, they are the "experienced" players who develop our younger players in game, the things that you learn playing and not necessarily on a training field.

I have followed the game for a long time and at one point Glasgow City were miles ahead of everyone.
I'd argue now the gulf is bigger now than the gulf was then.

I absolutely get if teams want to invest £ then that is their prerogative, but in reality we need investment across the whole game and these smaller clubs in the top division who are needed to have a competitive League. If there is no competition the game is ultimately doomed.

Drew Stirling in the cup.

Dream come true for a couple of the Stirling players, a bit gutted as I know one of them is unable to play and it would have been a dream come true.

Is Sundays Sky sports cup final actually on sky? Don't see it in the listings?
It is on Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Mix from noon on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back